October 23, 2014 | 2172 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Mineral SPF 30

rated 3 of 5 on 8/1/2007 1:43:00 PM More reviews by jc2239

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

despite all the things horridly wrong with this product, i had to give it three lippies because it serves its purpose and does what it claims to do.

cons:
(1) horrible horrible packaging. my first issue with this product was the bristles of the brush. since i'm applying sunblock in order to take care of my complexion, i don't think the best way to achieve that end is by rubbing a scratchy and rough brush all over my face multiple times a day. also, i would love to be able to see how much product i actually have left, which this product makes impossible since the tube is solid white.

(2) can't tell if i'm actually really getting any on my face a lot of the itme. since this is a powder, even though it's tinted it's hard to tell whether any of the powder has actually landed on my face. the only time i can actually tell is when i'm probably using too much powder and therefore there are puffs of powder all around my face and i see clouds of the stuff.

pros:

the packaging can be remedied. i purchased a mineral powder to go brush, which is just like the peter thomas roth packaging but has a clear screw off bottom that you place the powder in, and is made out of goat hair. it's much softer and i ca actually see how much powder i'm using and how much i have left. also, my skin does seem to be pretty well-protected, although i don't spend too much time out in the sun to begin with.

overall, i like the powder itself, and but i'll be purchasing the refills of the colorescience powder sunblock, as it's cheaper and i no longer need a brush.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2007 12:13:00 AM More reviews by curioustammy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i had such high hopes for this one. but the first time i applied it. it broke me out like crazy. i specially applied it around the corners of my mouth thinking to protect that area from the sun cuz i had pimples and bron spots there. but it just made me break out more. well it was the first time i applied it...but i just know it was this product. cuz of the corn starch in it. which clogs pores.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/27/2007 5:00:00 PM More reviews by Lauralee41

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I dont feel like this productreally protects you from the sun. To get the brush back in you have to pull down on the bottom before you put the cap on.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2007 10:29:00 AM More reviews by Lushone

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have oily skin that is prone to breakouts. I also have melasma so sunscreen is really important to me. There are lots of things I love about this product: instant protection instead of 20 minutes, no breakouts, use without a mirror, over or without makeup. I am not a fan of the brush bristles, and I accidentally unscrewed the cap and wasted a bunch of product. As mentioned by other reviewers, PTR needs to fix the packaging and this will be perfect. I will still repurchase though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2007 1:32:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I noticed in the mirror the other day that my face was starting to look a little tan. This alarmed me slightly since it was a signal that my sunscreen (Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 50) was not working very well or its power was fading through the work day. It worked fine all day during the gray winter months, but now it's sunny all the time and I felt like I needed a way to touch up my sun protection during the day (I'm aware you're supposed to do this with all types of sunscreen, but I wear makeup and don't want to reapply everything after reapplying my sunscreen lotion).

Anyway, I started looking into powdered sunscreens and was delighted to discover the existence of Peter Thomas Roth's Instant Mineral. Before I was aware of its existence, I had been contemplating plunking down around 60 USD for the Colorscience version. The PTR one is thankfully half that price and readily available on www.drugstore.com (which is my favorite website on earth)

Anyway, I was surprised by how small the tube is. It's about five-six inches long with a diameter approximately the size of a quarter. So it's kinda pricey at 30 USD for such a small amount of product. This is pretty messy too. The powder sorta poofs out everytime you uncap the brush, and poofs all over the place as you apply it. Very, very messy!

And I will agree with the other reviewers: the brush is, indeed, poor-quality and very coarse. It's not awful, but I think for the money, they could've given you a slightly nicer brush. It's not exactly sandpaper, but it's definitely rougher-feeling than some of my cheap, drugstore brushes! It reminds me a little of horsetail hairs.

The powder has a slight peachy-beige tint, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I guess it works okay on my light, yellow-toned complexion. I'm just worried about oxidation and this stuff making me look kinda orange later on. It's also very matte and will make you look rather dry and powdery. Spritzing my face or lightly patting on some of Laura Mercier's Secret Finish helps take away the powdery look.

But hey, it does seem to work as a sunscreen. I think I will try experimenting with Everyday Minerals' sunscreen powder next and a refillable brush with softer bristles. If that experiment doesn't work out, I'd repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2007 11:28:00 PM More reviews by la_clique

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Very handy, once you figure out the packaging. Great over my BE for days when I'll be in the sun more. Didn't break me out, but can be a bit drying so I only put in basic TZone areas.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2007 9:04:00 PM More reviews by Laura22

I really like this product. I was searching for a SS that I could use for reapplication during the day after I had MU on. This definately does the trick but the packaging is so terrible, I can't buy it again :(. As others have said, the powder is deposited through a brush on top of the powder recepticle. You push lightly on your face and it is released. It comes out nicely and doesn't show up on your makeup at all. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to get the brush back into the lid. As it stands, the bristles are all bent out of shape and hanging outside the lid. I would totally buy this again except for this problem. I will try another brand instead. If they fix this (they know the problem exists(, then this will be a HG and I will be loyal forever.
UPDATE: The packaging isn't as bad as it appears at first sight. You can retract the bristles before putting on lid and it works signiicantly better

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2007 1:21:00 PM More reviews by Embecks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hmmm, still not too sure about this. It is very natural, a physical sunblock in a powder. Nice all natural ingredient list - ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide 15%, Zinc Oxide 10%. INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Mica, Silica, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Iron Oxides.
I'm really not too sure how effectively it's blocking the sun, as I haven't put it on and spent all day outside yet. It is a powder, with an applicator brush, which makes it difficult to tell if your getting good coverage. It doesn't irritate my skin at all and has a tint to it, but I've gone back to using my Clinique City Block, especially when I'll be in the sun during those peak hours.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2007 7:02:00 PM More reviews by curlycuesue

I had never heard of a powder sunscreen until I came across this at Sephora the other day. I was instantly intrigued, but VERY skeptical. I mean, how can a POWDER provide SPF 30 UVA/UVB protection????? But due to my not-so-great relationship w/ regular sunscreens (i.e., too greasy, breaks me out, SPF too low, makes me look like a ghost), I decided to give this a try. Yes, the packaging is cheap and kind of a pain, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad (you just have to pull, not twist, the bottom to be able to get the cap over the brush). The powder is very fine and supposed to be translucent (although I detect a beige/nude tint, which I think is subtle enough to work w/ most skintones). The bristles are prickly and definitely not high quality, but bearable. After applying the powder in the morning, I noticed throughout the day that my face stayed relatively matte. There even seemed to be an evenness and healthy glow (although the glow could've been the happiness emanating from inside that I might've possibly found my HG sunscreen :P). So far, I'm liking everything about this product: mineral and not chemical sunscreen, fine powder, SPF 30, doesn't leave whitish cast, convenient packaging (although takes some getting used to), can reapply w/ ease throughout the day, gives me an even skintone, and has vitamins A, C, and E. I'll definitely purchase this again! =) UPDATE: The brush is utterly horrible!!!! As mentioned before, the bristles are prickly and harsh, but not only that, it sheds like crazy! I find hairs on my face, on my shirt, in the sink, on the floor! PLUS, the hairs just break off! They snap like twigs! Seriously, the ppl at PTR reeeeally need to come up w/ a better brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2007 6:41:00 PM More reviews by asiawall

This is my HG facial sunscreen. I have oily acne-prone skin, and this powder is the only sunscreen that does not add to the above problems. It has a matte, translucent finish, and seems to work really well at blocking the rays. The only problem for me is the packaging, as I accidentally unscrewed the bottom and 2/3 of the very expensive product fell out! Be careful with this, make sure it's on tight.