December 23, 2014 | 1423 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 7:49:00 PM More reviews by bc12401

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HOLY GRAIL powder foundation!

I have very dry skin around my nose and cheeks but this foundation doesn't seem to make my face feel tight like other powders can. I understand that a lot of users are saying that this makes their face "oily" looking - but I completely disagree with this being negative. The foundation has extremely fine shimmer to it and leaves a very satiny, eggshell finish. It's beautiful. I'm 20 and love it, and my mother (age 52) LOVES it. It's perfect for her skin.

This looks amazing in the winter, but especially nice in the summer months.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2012 8:36:00 PM More reviews by reverendgreen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

As with others who tried this foundation, this was the first mineral powder where I liked the finish. Others have noted that it gives a gives an oily or overly 'glowy' finish but I disagree. I am very picky when it comes to shine and always wear a matte look so I would have returned this immediately if I thought it looked oily. It certainly does impart a pearly effect, neither shimmery nor shiny, simply a slight radiance. (Not glittery.)
I don't find this foundation to be particularly long-wearing and find that its finish has decayed after about five hours. It doesn't help particularly with oil reduction and I find that I do get oily quicker when wearing it but it's not majorly troublesome and a quick powdering solves it. Perhaps this is why some people find the finish oily.
In terms of application, it is somewhat bothersome but that goes with mineral territory. It's difficult to build up coverage and you have to some time blending so as to avoid patchiness. However, once applied properly, the coverage is good and you can even work to a full coverage, though I would say medium coverage looks better.
The shade 'Soft Porcelain' is excellent for my very fair skin. The colour, along with the finish, of this foundation certainly does make my skin like porcelain.
All in all, this is a nice foundation and certainly one of the best mineral powders. I don't wear it year round (not enough oil control for summer and a bit too powdery for winter flakies) but I always keep some in my makeup drawer for quick makeup application and for transitional weather.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by whisper

I honestly cannot see why so many people, the vast majority really, seem to adore this product as much as they do. But to each his/her own, I suppose. This powder is SO SHIMMERY it's frankly distracting. There are a number of other things about it that I dislike, but the glitter/sparkles in it are what did it (or, didn't do it, I guess would be more accurate) for me. I put this on and it was like a glitter-bomb explosion on my face. So I just don't see any practical use for something like this. I would return it without hesitation were it not a gift. Can't recommend, sorry. (Clearly, though, as I mentioned, I'm in the minority.)

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 10:50:00 PM More reviews by verymilky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like this! Usually mineral foundations are so sheer and chalky but this powder is soft and satiny with medium to full buildable coverage. It doesn't look cakey or powdery. I can use it on it's own to even out my skin or over liquid or cream foundation for an absolutely flawless finish. As a finishing powder, it will conceal anything left that your concealer and foundation failed to. I have horrible acne scars and rather than spending an hour blending layers of concealer over my my marks I can just dust this on over my foundation and it takes care of it. Another plus is the lightest shade "porcelain ivory" is actually pale enough! I'm a warm toned NC10 and it matches perfectly. Only downside is the slight glow might be a downside for some with oily skin or large pores.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2012 6:42:00 PM More reviews by fancyfrancie

First off, I am not a mineral-makeup devotee. For the most part I think mineral makeup tends to look patchy, uneven, chalky, and unnatural. That said, I keep coming back to this stuff. For a mineral powder with sunscreen, it's very light and easy to apply, and the neutral shades are lovely (Soft Porcelain is like striking gold for anyone with very fair skin). Overall, I think it's more elegant than most other mineral powders (such as Bare Minerals- not a fan). However, it has some of the same drawbacks as other mineral makeup:
1) If you apply to much, you're screwed and pretty much have to start over. Unlike liquid makeup, I find powder makeup much more difficult to blend away.
2) If you are in a dry environment, it can get patchy and clumped-looking as the day wears on. I haven't tested it in the summer, but I'll come back to this review once I have.
True, this powder can be a dream! But overall I think the performance of mineral powder (even this powder, which I consider mineral makeup at its best) just isn't consistent enough to woo me away from liquid makeup.
EDIT: I've stopped using this, because I think Avon's ExtraLasting Powder SPF 15 is a better product, as well as a better value. The LM powder is just too iffy... the Avon powder performs much more reliably.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2012 4:56:00 PM More reviews by nikkola

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i don't know how this manages to make me look greasy and dry at the same time. i have dry skin, and my forehead is a grease pit with this-
this doesnt happen with any other powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 12:58:00 PM More reviews by waterlilly26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh my! I LOVE this foundation! Let me start by saying right now I'm a NC 25 in mac and I have the color real sand. I had tried B.E. Years ago and had a very short term relationship with it, I found that it separated, became blotchy and settled into fine lines very easily. This is NOT the case with the L.M. I actually love this foundation. It goes on smooth and if I need extra coverage in a certain spot I grab some with a concealer brush and pat it on over the troubled spot, no need for concealer. It wears nicely, doesn't go blotchy or disappear like B.M. And makes my skin look beautiful! I don't know what possessed me to try another mineral foundation, I was sooo put off by B.E. But I'm glad I did. I find this foundation is best applied with the E.L.F. Studio powder brush, the flat top one, it gives me the most coverage and natural look. The key is to blend, blend and blend. Lol hope this helps also for fuller coverage, use light layers blending well with each one.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by misslu990

I bought this because I didn't like bm foundation. I went into sephora and a sa helped me pick out the color real sand which suits my skin tone exactly. At first I thought it was too light, but she told me and also I had read on some reviews on sephora that the color oxidizes a little and gets a little darker after 15-30 min. [depends on how oily your face is]. I loved the finish also because it made my skin flawless, however, I broke out whenever I would wear this foundation. I agree with the person below me about the bismuth oxy cause thats the reason I broke out from bm. Thankfully I switched over to a better mineral foundation from sally bs. I'll only use this foundation now when I'm going out to a party and looking for more coverage. I wouldn't buy this again though. I'm sure this would be perfect for someone who doesn't break out from wearing it, but for me, its a miss.
UPDATE: 8/31/12
***tried this out last Saturday and wore it up to thurs because I thought I would give it a try again and this broke me out so BADLY. Now I'm trying to get my skin back to normal. This caused very painful cysts on my chin and two on my forehead. This foundation is not worth it for me. It's going in the trash!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2012 2:08:00 AM More reviews by stuffystephy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

It has a great finish. I love the swivel top, which keeps the powder in the bottom part of the container when you're travelling. I also found a colour that suited me quite well. I was using the Merle Norman mineral makeup (which I love), but switched to this because the colour suited me better. I figured mineral makeup is mineral makeup. However, I was wrong. This one broke me out horribly. I was getting cystic pimples which I've never had before. My skin gets hyperpigmented quite easily, so I still have marks from when I was wearing this. I honestly didn't think this was the problem, so I changed almost everything else about my skin care and makeup regime. But my skin kept getting worse. I finally stopped using this and my skin immediately got better. It's back to normal now, though with a few extra "freckles". I believe the reason why this one caused so much irritation is because of the bismuth oxychloride.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2012 8:37:00 PM More reviews by usagi555

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have a love/hate relationship with foundation. I love it when my skin looks perfectly even and dewy, yet hate it whenever I can feel it caking up on my skin or I can't find a perfect match (which is most of the time). Ideally I would just go foundation free, since my skin is pretty smooth and healthy, but unfortunately I have a lot of discoloration, thanks to too much sun bathing/surfing during my teens.

Anyway, this mineral powder works perfect to even out my skin tone without feeling heavy and looking unnatural. My skin breathes and gets some sun protection. No foundation will ever match my skin tone perfectly, yet this one comes pretty close (my shade is Real Sand). I love that it covers most of my dark circles and helps to minimize how much concealer I have to apply in that area. Lastly, my ultimate favorite thing about this mineral powder is the finish: radiant and almost dewy.

The packaging is super convenient, specially the twisty cap on the inside that allows only enough powder to be used at the time. Another plus is that the ingredients are pretty clean, just minerals with none of the other crap that other foundations might have. Overall I'm quite happy with this one and will stay in my bag! My only complaint is the color range! They need to step this up so I can finally recommend it to all, without hesitating about the color selection.