Everyday Minerals Silk Dust (Untinted ) [DISCONTINUED]

3.9

Not tested on animals

I bought the Summer Silk Dust which look very tan/beige. Would as a finishing powder for Med to tan complexions. Right now looks too dark for me (should have gotten the light one) Oh well I think its works as a subtle 'bronzer' and I got the mini sized, so maybe not a total loss. Nice texture as are all of E/M finishing powders. Will buy the lighter shade next time. Added note to all that expressed frustration with the original powders being too white. I made my own tinted version my adding my normal EM face foundation into the balancing dust until I got the desired tone. Works great as a subtle powder/extra light foundation.

on 3/12/2007 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I've tried the Balancing Dust and regular Finishing Dust, and by far this is the best. I use the tinted version in the lightest color, applied with the new spongey applicator - goes on great and doesn't lighten my face at all. Awesome.

on 3/4/2007 12:44:00 PM

This gives my face a nice, even finish on top of my semi-matte foundation. It keeps shine at bay most of the day, but it does leave a whitish cast. I have very fair skin, so it's not really noticeable on me, but for the summer I will likely try the tinted finishing dust.

I much prefer this to the Finishing Dust, which tended to be a little cakey on me by the end of the day. The Silk Dust gives me a very even look, and really minimizes the look of my pores when applied as my last step. I do mix this with my Everyday Bronzer before applying to help prevent zombie-itis, and because my foundation is not quite dark enough for me to start with.

on 2/28/2007 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This is the best finishing powder I've ever used. Hands down. Not only is it 100% silk powder, which means NO CORNSTARCH, but it disappeared on top of my foundation and set it really well. No oily breakthroughs, even after an entire day of wearing it. Will definitely keep buying once I run out.

on 2/25/2007 12:38:00 PM

I love EM products and enjoy trying all colors and formulations. I love the finishing dust and was excited to try this, but I too found that it actually made me greasy and did not rest on my foundation well as it seems to leave a bit of a white cast.

on 2/23/2007 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

One of the best powders I've ever used. It kills any shine I have on my face, and keeps oil at bay all day. I have yet to need a touch up while wearing it, which is the best endorsement I can think of for a powder.

It is definitely white, and if you're not pale it might not work for you... in the original version. They just recently put out some new tinted versions that might work better for darker ladies.

As far as smell, I honestly haven't even noticed one, and I'm usually very sensitive to scented products. I guess I'll have to go check it out.

Update: Still haven't noticed a scent, and this is still my favorite powder. I just wish they'd make a pressed version.

on 2/20/2007 7:50:00 PM

This is not great shine powder. It seems to draw the oil right out of my pores until I'm a shiny mess--highly unusual. I keep using it in hopes that something will change, but a couple of hours in, and I'm gleaming. Plus, does anyone else think it really stinks? I'm hardly offended by facial product smells (I don't even have a problem with ACV) but this stuff absolutely reeks. Is it possible that it's spoiled? I've only had it a month. The paleness factor is even okay--I'm that light-skinned, but I think I'll have to quit this.

on 2/19/2007 5:14:00 PM

I haven't used this on top of my foundation, as I find EM regular Finishing Dust works best for that, however, as a primer it's fantastic! Pores disappear and oil is kept at bay for HOURS (I used to have to blot my face fanatically, but no more)! Highly recommend as a primer for everyone with oily skin. (BTW, this review is identical to my review for the Balancing Dust as I've found them to be very interchangeable and quite similar as primers ---- in a good way.) UPDATE: No actual change in experience or rating, rather adressing the smell issue. I have found this powder bad smelling, not an actual perfumed fragrance, because there is none, but rather a bit too 'organic'. I am inclined to think that this isn't a sign of anything bad, more like proof that silkworms were involved in the making of this product... UPDATE: no longer use

on 2/18/2007 3:34:00 PM

This company makes my HG foundation (Original Glo) which is one of the few products out there suited for my sensitive, normal/oily (flaky on top in the Winter) and easily irritated skin! I used to pair Glo with the Finishing Dust, but this clogged my pores and made my forehead oily by the end of the day.

I have finally found my HG in the Silk Dust!!! The description alone is making me drool: "Pure Silk Dust Finishing Powder is a translucent powder that not only reflects UV radiation, and has 18 vital amino acids, and anti-bacterial properties, it controls oil and regulates moisture while giving your complexion a flawless finish." I will totally back up all of the statements given here!

Edit: I am not so sure this is HG anymore, since the last time I ordered this they have added blackcurrant as a preservative. It is supposedly irritating for some. Will have to try the new version...

Recommended for Normal Skin