October 25, 2014 | 490 users online

Cleansers - Mario Badescu - Enzyme Cleansing Gel

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2011 11:54:00 AM More reviews by tofusteak

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

At first, I believed that this was a super product--maybe even HG. After I washed my face with this, it felt soft and looked brighter. It also didn't leave my skin dry after washing.

However, I noticed that after a week of using this, my chin broke out really badly (can you say 'constellation of pimples'??). At first I didn't think the cleanser was the culprit so I continued using it. I put clindamycin on the pimples then moved on with my life. The following nights however, I noticed that the other side of my chin was also developing small bumps and whiteheads and then alarm bells started to ring in my head. I'd never had this bad of a breakout so I believe that since this was the only item I added to my regimen then this must be the culprit. Such a tragedy. I've stopped using this cleanser today. I'll update in a week's time to show if there's been any improvement.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2011 10:31:00 AM More reviews by jjapples

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I went in to Mecca Cosmetica to get some advice after Clinique anti blemish 3 step ruined my skin. Along with a separate 3 step regimen the SA suggested I try this in the morning as a gentle non-foaming cleanser.
I was skeptical, because I've never used a non-foaming cleanser and wasn't sure that my skin would feel clean (I'm the sort of person that likes a cleanser with little exfoliating beads, otherwise I feel like my skin isn't being cleansed completely) but she assured me that she uses it and loves it.
I love the smell first of all. It's fresh and botanical and really invigorating.
As for cleansing my skin - it's great. It clears off every bit of make up (which the Clinique never did even with cleanser and toner) with only the smallest amount needed (about the size of a little finger nail) and leaves my skin feeling fresh and soft and completely clean. The 8oz bottle will probably last 4-5 months, so it is really very cheap ($36 in Australia) and I am definitely looking forward to trying more of the Mario Badescu range.
***UPDATE***
After 2 weeks using only the enzyme cleanser -nothing else, no topical treatments, special toners or moisturisers - my skin is almost completely clear!
I am amazed. I honestly thought I was imagining it but people keep telling me how great my skin looks and after only two weeks! There is no dryness, no flaky skin, no red patches, even the marks left behind after the pimples are fading fast. I cannot recommend this cleanser highly enough. It's brilliant!
***ANOTHER UPDATE***
Yeah it's that good it warrants another update.
Between the last one and now I was using Dr Brandt 3 step Blemishes No More on the advice of the sales girl at Mecca. It didn't make things worse like Clinique did, but it didn't really improve things very much and considering the price I was expecting visibly results.
I was still using the Enzyme cleanser every morning and the other at night and after almost 2 months I decided to just go with the Enzyme cleanser.
My skin is completely clear. For the first time in my life since I was 13 I haven't got a single pimple anywhere. There's a couple of tiny under-surface bumps and some blackheads ( a lot less than before) but my skin is clear and healthy looking and I actually go out on the weekends without make up - a huge deal for me.
I cannot recommend this highly enough and I'm off to Kit to get other MB products to get my skin in perfect condition.
I also lowered the price rating to dirt cheap because Mecca and Kit have dropped their prices by at least $12 on each product which is excellent.
Seriously, if you have tried everything else, give this a go. Start small with one product and build up, I'd be really surprised if it didn't work for you. I have spent probably a couple of thousand dollars over the last 12 years one everything you can imagine and this is the only product that has ever given me these kinds of results.
Without a doubt my HG cleanser!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2011 11:22:00 AM More reviews by priyaj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I really like this cleanser. It is gentle, thick, has good ingredients, does not dry out my skin, and leaves my skin feeling soft. Unlike the Seaweed cleansing soap, it does not leave behind a "squeaky"-clean feel as if the skin has been stripped of all its natural oils. It also does not leave my skin feeling tight. Cetaphil also has some of those qualities, but I never felt like it was getting my face CLEAN. This cleanser is 10x's better. I was a little disappointed in the smell because all of the other MB products I tried have wonderful wonderful smells and this one I didn't like as much. This works great with my Clarisonic and I alternate between this and the Glycolic foaming cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2011 8:35:00 PM More reviews by laurentothemax

My favorite facial cleanser ever. Great with my clairsonic but also amazing just using my fingertips. Gentle, effective, reasonably priced and smells great. It does not irritate or dry out my super sensitive skin. I've used this exclusively for the past year. The Bf and I have probably gone thru 6 bottles of this stuff, and it works equally well for his less sensitive more oily skin. The ONLY reason I deducted one lippie is because its pretty ineffective for removing eye makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by Lilo1013

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I credit my good skin to Mario Badescu products. I had really bad skin from my teens to early 20s... it was just horrible. I went to dermatologists but topical creams didn't do anything but dry out my skin. After reading about Mario Badescu on MUA, I purchased the Enzyme Cleansing Gel. It has turned my skin around! I alternate between this and the Acne cleanser and I see myself using MB for a long long time. The cleansing gel is gentle and smells pretty ok. I use this with a MIA Clarisonic everyday and I can tell my skin is less oily and bumpy. I also have less blemishes and now can use Tinted Moisturizers instead of heavy foundations. This stuff is really worth it to me. Love this stuff!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by sll74

i bought the small size of this first just to try it out but bought the full size recently. i keep the small one in my shower to use with my clarisonic. i put it on and let it sink in for awhile then use the clarisonic. i like it. it get a good cleanse but i might need something a little heavier for my super oily skin. for me there's no burning or irritation just clean soft skin. i do rotate this one with the glycolic foaming cleanser and the acne wash (both my mario badescu).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2011 8:43:00 PM More reviews by realpeak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

This broke me out so badly in cysts across my forehead, chin and cheeks. It also made my lips and eyes sting whenever I used it, even when I made sure to completely avoid those areas. Look closely and you'll see there is shimmer/glitter in the cleanser?! So strange. I do like that it comes in such a generous sized bottle though.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/24/2011 8:42:00 PM More reviews by steph444

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This made my pores look even bigger. My face also felt oiler after using this. My teen daughter has great results. I will stick to Bare Escentuals or Philosophy.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2011 1:09:00 AM More reviews by aishouss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really like how the enzyme cleansing lotion smells, and how gentle it is. It says it's suppose to remove makeup, but I don't think it does the best job at that, but overall, I think it's a nice gentle cleanser. Here's video review of different Mario Badescu products I have tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2011 10:52:00 PM More reviews by kelliks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this cleanser. It makes me want to wash my face over and over. It smells wonderful, is extremely lightweight and it leaves my skin feeling so fresh and smooth. This is a true cleanser, it is not an acne product. It use it in the mornings and at night. Some people don't like the fact that it doesn't foam, but I like how it leaves my skin feeling after use better than foaming cleansers.