October 24, 2014 | 1873 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Tom Ford Black Orchid

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2008 1:43:00 PM More reviews by kiki321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is an absolute disaster. How did they even come up with this? But the Voile de Fleur is something else.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2008 1:40:00 PM More reviews by mllebovary

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was so anxious to try this out after all the hype I'd heard. So finally I made it to the store to check it out.

My husband and I couldn't decide if it smelled worse than diptyque's "L'Autre" (indian food + BO) or not. It was strong and dark smelling--maybe a little like black truffle (and I love truffles) but whatever the notes, I was just overwhelmed with some odor I didn't like--I kept getting the smell of something rotting. Needless to say, I didn't keep it on long enough to figure out its staying power--I headed straight to the restroom and washed it off. The Viole de Fleure, however, smelled divine. Personally, I'd pass on this one and go with that. Much better!

Summary:
Oh. My. God.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2008 6:00:00 PM More reviews by laumar27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This reminded me very much of Givenchy Organza. I received a sample of this in a swap and it is nice, but not at all my style. Smells a bit too sweet and it is quite strong. If you like sweet smelling orientals, this would probably be a good bet.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2008 7:08:00 PM More reviews by sabine_d

I really, really love this fragrance. I have the eau de parfum spray. The scent lasts a long time on me and I receive compliments every time I wear it.
I am a fan of orientials but not florals, so I was surprised by how much I loved this perfume. Warning: TF has a different formulation of this product now for the eau de toilette, so be sure to know which one you're smelling--the original or the revision. I've smelled both and the original eau de parfum wins, hands down.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2008 3:14:00 AM More reviews by vain_emily

Ok, this is a bit odd, but the first instinct I had when smelling this was medicine. No, not like cough syrup, which would make more sense, but the gross scent of the inside of a bottle of pills...weird. I loved the ad insert for Black Orchid, so maybe it's my skin chemistry that's turning it weird but I wouldn't wear this out. It dries down to a sort of sweaty floral, which is ok, but not really something I want to wear every day. This is one of those perfumes that I feel totally unsophisticated for not liking (Nos 5 and 19, most Annick Goutal, Fracas) but this just isn't very nice smelling. Love the bottle though.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2008 8:45:00 PM More reviews by abigail71

I really wanted to like this. I love DK Black Cashmere and TM Angel. Tom Ford's Black Orchid seems like a copy of others that have come before. Not as original as I had hoped. It also sorta makes my eyes water. It's OK, not a terrible fragrance, but it's not worthy of all the hype.
UPDATE: I wore this again and decided I hate it. It reeks of rotten smelling something. Just smells like a mistake. The bottle is the best part. I usually find something to like about most fragrances (except yucky fruity florals) and have never given anything 1 lippy but after wearing this today and gagging at the way I smelled it's getting only 1 lippy! YUCK.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2008 1:51:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

I'm giving this "fragrance" 5 lippies, but it makes me sick to my stomach. Seriously.

My experience - layer coconut, then chocolate, mix with vicks vapor rub, throw in some rotten, decaying fruit and exotic flowers, blend them in a blender then pour the mix on top of a man's sweaty testicles that haven't been washed in a week and you get Black Orchid.

Now why did I give it 5 lippies?

Because it doesn't smell like *anything* else and I really valued the experience of having tried it. I may end up buying it because it's rare for me to hate something so much without it turning into love somewhere down the road.

I pray that I'm broke and all my credit cards are maxed out the day that I end up craving this.

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2008 10:00:00 AM More reviews by julieolivia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Disclaimer - the woman across the hall from me stopped in, breathed in and said "....aaaahhh......smells like you". Upon further questioning, she said that this perfume, more so than any one of the other 5,000 I have worn, smelled like "you" (meaning, me. The person writing.) in terms of its complexity, depth, and general impression. So, my personality is either that of an exotic flower or freshly powdered scrotum. I think to think it is a melding of the two.
This fragrance is nowhere near as controversial-smelling as I would have thought. I do not wear florals well at all so no idea why I tried it, but I am pleased I did because it is not really floral on me. It starts out with some kind of incursion to another universe of scent - no way to describe the top notes, I got a vague impression of black pepper, very hot smelling, then....what? I assume it is the truffle, an earthy, warm non-sweet scent that is enveloping. A third of the way in I come back to earth and am greeted by....ozone. I despise ozone. Two things, it is somewhat brief, so I dont suffer long, but also - it goes with the topnote. In a way that a really ugly color can become attractive in the right combination, the thin, vapid almost colorless odor counterpoints the richness of the top notes. Once I burn off the ozone with pure determination, the rest of the experience is just a lovely, warm, woody floral - I get mostly woods that smell foreign to me, with a little sweetness from florals and spices. It is utterly unique. If I had to place it somewhere on the continuum, I would say, it could be the child of Poison and Narciso Rodriguez, but then influenced by an decidedly eccentric hippie aunt while growing up.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2008 11:15:00 AM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Hmmmm. I really wanted to fall in love with this. I looked everywhere, and finally found it yesterday. The SA gave me a sample and sprayed it on a card. I was shocked. It was spicy and so oriental, which is fine if that is what is expected. I expected a dark, velvety, seductive floral. That said, the packaging evokes Art Deco, roaring twenties, traditional steak house to me. I tried the scent on my skin after my bath last night. Indeed, the scent really matches the bottle. It reminded me of gold, glamourous old time Hollywood when everyone dressed up and went out to night clubs. But there was also something in it that was making me cough - something itching the back of my throat. It was also very reminiscient of Must de Cartier. In fact, I have it on the other arm, and it is so similar to Black Orchid. It seems almost old to me. It starts off strong, Giorgio like, then dries down to a caramel, which I don't like at all. Then, by the morning, there was a scent of spicy which was nice, like leftover New Year's party wear. I can see wearing this at night, out on the town.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2008 11:21:00 AM More reviews by OceansHeartbeat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got this as a small sample in a swap (bless her!) and I was quite surprised because I didn't expect it. I've read good and bad reviews of it on MUA and the scent didn't seem suitable for me since I generally like sweet and floral scents. But this one was freaking amazing! I think it depends on body chemistry. I was told by my mum that it was very strong when I first sprayed it on. I even smelled like a man. :p Smelled like leather and cinnamon to me. But later it morphed into this gorgeous coconutty, vanilla and something else fragrance that was just sooo sexy. If I ever end up buying a bigger bottle, I'll save it for special occasions. ;) Hehehe.