Estee Lauder Tom Ford Black Orchid

3.7

This is my all time favourite fragrance, so beautiful, rich and unique!

Unfortunately I am not good at describing fragrances, but HaloOfAshes has written a very accurate description in her review below and I totally agree.

I have neglected all my other fragrances since I've bought this in August. I wear it everyday and get so many compliments both from men and women!!

Anyway, I do not work in an office and strong fragrances are not considered offensive here in Italy, but I can see how this might be too strong for some people. This is definitely not for everyone and it smells very different depending on your body chemistry.

continued >>

This, to me, is not an everyday fragrance. It's the perfume you wear when you're seducing someone. It's dark, mysterious, worldly and womanly. Possibly the most interesting of all the "counter" fragrances that I've smelled.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is an absolute disaster. How did they even come up with this? But the Voile de Fleur is something else.

I was so anxious to try this out after all the hype I'd heard. So finally I made it to the store to check it out.

My husband and I couldn't decide if it smelled worse than diptyque's "L'Autre" (indian food + BO) or not. It was strong and dark smelling--maybe a little like black truffle (and I love truffles) but whatever the notes, I was just overwhelmed with some odor I didn't like--I kept getting the smell of something rotting. Needless to say, I didn't keep it on long enough to figure out its staying power--I headed straight to the restroom and washed it off. The Viole de Fleure, however, smelled divine. Personally, I'd pass on this one and go with that. Much better!

Summary:
Oh. My. God.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This reminded me very much of Givenchy Organza. I received a sample of this in a swap and it is nice, but not at all my style. Smells a bit too sweet and it is quite strong. If you like sweet smelling orientals, this would probably be a good bet.

I really, really love this fragrance. I have the eau de parfum spray. The scent lasts a long time on me and I receive compliments every time I wear it.
I am a fan of orientials but not florals, so I was surprised by how much I loved this perfume. Warning: TF has a different formulation of this product now for the eau de toilette, so be sure to know which one you're smelling--the original or the revision. I've smelled both and the original eau de parfum wins, hands down.

Ok, this is a bit odd, but the first instinct I had when smelling this was medicine. No, not like cough syrup, which would make more sense, but the gross scent of the inside of a bottle of pills...weird. I loved the ad insert for Black Orchid, so maybe it's my skin chemistry that's turning it weird but I wouldn't wear this out. It dries down to a sort of sweaty floral, which is ok, but not really something I want to wear every day. This is one of those perfumes that I feel totally unsophisticated for not liking (Nos 5 and 19, most Annick Goutal, Fracas) but this just isn't very nice smelling. Love the bottle though.

I really wanted to like this. I love DK Black Cashmere and TM Angel. Tom Ford's Black Orchid seems like a copy of others that have come before. Not as original as I had hoped. It also sorta makes my eyes water. It's OK, not a terrible fragrance, but it's not worthy of all the hype.
UPDATE: I wore this again and decided I hate it. It reeks of rotten smelling something. Just smells like a mistake. The bottle is the best part. I usually find something to like about most fragrances (except yucky fruity florals) and have never given anything 1 lippy but after wearing this today and gagging at the way I smelled it's getting only 1 lippy! YUCK.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm giving this "fragrance" 5 lippies, but it makes me sick to my stomach. Seriously.

My experience - layer coconut, then chocolate, mix with vicks vapor rub, throw in some rotten, decaying fruit and exotic flowers, blend them in a blender then pour the mix on top of a man's sweaty testicles that haven't been washed in a week and you get Black Orchid.

Now why did I give it 5 lippies?

Because it doesn't smell like *anything* else and I really valued the experience of having tried it. I may end up buying it because it's rare for me to hate something so much without it turning into love somewhere down the road.

I pray that I'm broke and all my credit cards are maxed out the day that I end up craving this.

Disclaimer - the woman across the hall from me stopped in, breathed in and said "....aaaahhh......smells like you". Upon further questioning, she said that this perfume, more so than any one of the other 5,000 I have worn, smelled like "you" (meaning, me. The person writing.) in terms of its complexity, depth, and general impression. So, my personality is either that of an exotic flower or freshly powdered scrotum. I think to think it is a melding of the two.
This fragrance is nowhere near as controversial-smelling as I would have thought. I do not wear florals well at all so no idea why I tried it, but I am pleased I did because it is not really floral on me. It starts out with some kind of incursion to another universe of scent - no way to describe the top notes, I got a vague impression of black pepper, very hot smelling, then....what? I assume it is the truffle, an earthy, warm non-sweet scent that is enveloping. A third of the way in I come back to earth and am greeted by....ozone. I despise ozone. Two things, it is somewhat brief, so I dont suffer long, but also - it goes with the topnote. In a way that a really ugly color can become attractive in the right combination, the thin, vapid almost colorless odor counterpoints the richness of the top notes. Once I burn off the ozone with pure determination, the rest of the experience is just a lovely, warm, woody floral - I get mostly woods that smell foreign to me, with a little sweetness from florals and spices. It is utterly unique. If I had to place it somewhere on the continuum, I would say, it could be the child of Poison and Narciso Rodriguez, but then influenced by an decidedly eccentric hippie aunt while growing up.

Popular Fragrances