October 20, 2014 | 1119 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 9:43:00 PM More reviews by Erickat90

Love using coconut oil as an eye makeup remover!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2013 5:31:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was buying my first jar of the coconut oil in Waitrose (I've read somewhere that it was good for frying things and I had pancakes in mind for supper), when the cashier said that she uses it as a hair treatment! So when I came back home I prepared my pancakes and put some oil into my hair. I ate the pancakes, washed my hair after 2 hours and it turned out to be a great way to achieve brand new hair ends without a trim, glossy and soft!

I have adopted the oil as a weekly hair treatment (just on my hair, NOT for the scalp though) to keep my ends from getting trimmed for longer and it works wonderfully. I have no problem with washing it off, the ends are sealed and the hair is glossy and not weighted down.

However I must say that it wrecked a real havoc on my face! I tried to take my makeup off with it and it was a massive fail: it has actually DRIED my skin! It became tight and flaky plus some pimples were forming underneath the surface after two weeks of daily use so I had to drop that way of cleansing and moisturising. It took my skin well over a month to get back to its 'normal' self afterwards.

It does not work well on my body either (I much prefer jojoba oil as a body moisturiser) and I am not fond of the smell (the least smelling CO was from a brand called Pucca so I will be buying this one next time) that much.

As a HAIR treatment it is very good, even for my delicate hair but as an all-in-one face cleanser and moisturiser it was a big no-no even for my dry skin.

As a hair treatment it is also very cheap, especially in comparison with professional product bringing similar results - I need less than half a tea spoon for my ends (I put it in dry hair, approx 2 hours before I have to wash it, once a week). The rest of it I use for frying and sometimes raw in my green smoothies. This way a 200 ml jar lasts me about 3-4 months. For about £8 it is not such a bad price.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by hotbeautybitch

Iuse it for my hair only.
I add some hair mask to it to give it a nice texture and use it as hair mask <3
Makes hair really soft and less frizzy and I feel like like i am in Hawaii.
My hair is not curly so I have to wash it afterwards, but still a big fan of it .

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by clarabeau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh, coconut oil. I know a lot of people love this stuff for oil cleansing and moisturizing and makeup removal but it does not really work for my face. I don't get horrible breakouts from it but it does seem to clog my pores, and it just kind of sits of my skin. Also, it doesn't moisturize my body that well either! My body skin gets kind of blotchy and itchy when I use this, and even any ingrown hairs I might have seem to get more inflamed. Bleh!

However, I gave this four stars because it's delectable as a hair treatment. I use it as a hair mask before I wash and it really softens my mane of hair and makes it very shiny the next day. It also works beautifully as a hair serum post-washing, provided I don't use too much of it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2013 8:06:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

I bought this to moisterise my super dry, eczema skin and I do like it although I need to add additional moisteriser on the areas that are really dry to lock it in. It absorbs surprisingly quickly and it smells absolutely delicious. I have never used it for anything but my body and I would probably not use it for my face because I have sensitive and acne prone skin. Although it is no miracle worker, I would purchase again because it feels a lot nicer than heavy, thick moisturisers like Sorbolene which sits on the skin and feels unpleasant.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2013 7:35:00 AM More reviews by montana9

I bought this product after i read so many positive reviews BUT i can't say i loved it. It is like every other type of oil, it's not easily absorbed, the skin remains oily. I have to say the next day my skin was very soft, but the same effect can be achieved with olive oil, wich is cheaper. I tried to put a small amount on my face overnight, and it made me break out, so for the face is definitely a no no! I used it also as a mask for my hear, but no improvements or changes happened. I would prefer this to a regular body cream just because it's 100% natural.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2013 7:13:00 AM More reviews by Mayayoung

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have oily, acne prone skin and make home remedies instead of buying. Coconut oil works a treat to balance natural oils instead of striping them. Try combining the oil with jojoba oil, castor oil and tea-tree or pink grapefruit extract for a good acne moisturiser. It can leave you with some white heads or dry skin depending on what your skins like. I'd recommend trying it for 1-2 weeks by its self and if your impressed make your own recipe!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by yoyolanda

You got to buy 1. organic 2. cold pressed 3. extra virgin to see any results. Otherwise I use this head to toe. It's great for the breasts too.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2013 2:04:00 AM More reviews by pinkstrawberii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have dry, sensitive, acne-prone skin and was recommended coconut oil by a friend of mine who used it as a cleanser and got great results. It worked well for the first 2 days then it started drying out my skin like crazy as well as make my skin blotchy & a few white heads were appearing. I thought maybe my skin was going through a transition period so I stuck it out for approximately a week and a half more. My skin was even worse than ever!! Had to stop and it took WEEKS for my skin to heal from the damage. :(
However, I still use coconut oil as a body moisturizer! I just slather it on after a shower and it leaves me skin feeling SO smooth and not irritated (have eczema). It absorbs fairly quickly too and doesn't leave my skin feeling heavy and gross.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/3/2013 1:21:00 AM More reviews by thisisnothollywood

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Tried this on my dry skin, I have blackheads and whiteheads and can get zits...it was waaaaaay too oily for my skin and broke me out... UGH.
Would be good though for hands body etc but it is hard to scrape it out of the tub.