Clairol Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Shampoo

3.3

Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Zea Mays (Corn) Silk Extract, Fragrance, Sodium Citrate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Dimethicone, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Polyquaternium-76, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Blue 1. (2011 formulation)

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Well I have been using this for MONTHS (after a bad Tresemme encounter) and this shampoo, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, is awful. I have fine, medium length hair and this shampoo/conditioner didn't work for me at all. It make my hair set at a weird place, DIDN'T moisturize at all, and left my hair for dead by making it look greasy, dull, and with no trace of shine. And the DIMETHICONE in the product caused severe back/neck/shoulder acne.

on 8/2/2011 2:46:00 PM

I used this shampoo every few days to alternate with my usual brand. I eventually threw away the remaining shampoo before moving because it wasn't good enough to bother taking with me! This shampoo made my hair big, fuzzy, and dull; I was always left with flyaway hairs near my part on top of my head. It seemed to coat my hair on the surface and did not provide deep moisturization.

on 7/31/2011 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I think the bad reviews for this are due to people expecting more out of a simple line like this. Herbal Essences? Honestly! Everyone knows they're filled with sulfates to make them lather, and dimethicone to smooth the hair cuticle and protect it from everything but not moisturise it AT ALL.

Pros:

- cleans beautifully but never overcleans (if it does you shouldn't be shampooing twice)
- leaves my hair soft, smooth and silky, but volumised all at once
- gives roots a lift
- leaves it shiny
- hides damage
- makes a nice backup shampoo

Cons.

- will not repair or moisturise hair in any real way
- smooths the hair cuticle but doesn't soften it - frizz will be flattened but not melted into the rest of your hair
- the silicone WILL build up and eventually make your hair flat and dull
- dries hair out if used too often
- not a permanent haircare regime

In short, this is the sort of shampoo and conditioner you alternate with a clarifying shampoo, masks and products that you spent a bit more on.

Seriously, go salon. There IS a difference, and their concentrated formulas mean they last longer. But keep shampoos like this one around for the occasional lather. Variety keeps your hair rejuvenated.

on 7/9/2011 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

H.E. Hello Hydration shampoo made my hair frizzy but yet smooth. The smell is horrible! You can barely smell it, and it smells like coconuts, ew!
It does clean your hair well and smooths your hair but I just hated the smell.

on 7/6/2011 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Always come back to this shampoo and the conditioner too. Makes my highlighted hair soft and manageable and for some reason brightens my highlights more than any 'brightening' shampoo I have used before. Love the scent too, reminds me of holidays!

on 6/16/2011 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I was pleasantly suprised with this shampoo. I usually use sulfate-free shampoos but purchased a travel size of this to take on vacation. It leaves my hair so soft and silky which is nothing short of miraculous for me as my hair is naturally very coarse and thick. No fly-aways and a major reduction on the frizz. The smell is divine...coconutty floral sort of scent? Whatever it is, it smells great. I continue to use this once a fortnight when I feel like my hair needs some softening. It's pretty cheap too so I can't complain about anything.

I normally use silicone-free hair products but "natural" cosmetics are getting so expensive I thought I'd try some Clairol shampoo and conditioner. I used to use Herbal Essences in the 70s when it was a green fluid in a bottle -- there was a picture of a lady that looked like a wood nymph or a hippie on the label. I loved the green stuff. It smelled great -- woody, musky, herbally. Err... anyway, back to my review.... this smelled OK... sort of a fake coconut scent, like a scented candle, still bearable though. It made my dry hair extremely soft (although it did not make it shine). But the stuff made my hair so soft and so slippery that my hair started breaking off. I think this might be because silicone coats the hair rather than actually moisturises it? Anyway, I'm not buying this shampoo or conditioner again.

on 6/12/2011 7:24:00 PM

Lately, my hair has been pretty dry, so I bought this shampoo and the matching conditioner with really high hopes for it to make my hair soft and zap the frizzies.
It didn't exactly live up to my expectations, but it didn't completely let me down either. It makes my hair soft, but it really doesn't control the frizziness as well as I'd like it to. But, I would buy this again just because I have yet to find a better shampoo and conditioner and because it's really affordable.

on 6/6/2011 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Love this product. I have thick, coarse, Indian hair which needs a conditioner to make it soft, but after using this shampoo, I feel like I don't even need a conditioner. Nice smell, I just wish it stayed around even after my hair is dry. It's a great product though and I recommend it.

on 6/5/2011 8:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Scent is okay. The shampoo left my sensitive scalp dry and itchy. Would not repurchase.

Top Rated Clairol Products