September 24, 2014 | 1497 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 2:02:00 PM More reviews by teenofchrist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like most people I was skeptical of the beauty blender. I figured brushes would be the best, but I was so wrong. I took the plunge and bought a Beauty Blender and it literally changed my life. My makeup looks absolutely beautiful and flawless when I apply my foundation and concealer with the BB. You will not regret it! Go and get it! It's amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 5:54:00 PM More reviews by SHUTUPvalleygirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't normally write reviews, but those of you who are (rightfully) skeptic about trying the Beauty Blender -- take the plunge! You will not regret it. There's a reason why this sponge is used by makeup artists the world over: there is no other tool that compares.
Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it uses up more product than comparable application methods. Yes, it does thin out a foundation and make the coverage more sheer, which to many people is undesirable (however, there are ways to work around this). But to those of us who are makeup perfectionists, there is NOTHING that comes close to the natural, beautiful finish that the Beauty Blender provides. This baby makes your makeup look like SKIN -- even heavy, full-coverage foundations can look natural when applied with this.
I'm not sure why it works the way it does, but my bet is that it has something to do with the little "pores" of the sponge. They're larger than the pores of traditional makeup sponges and I believe the texture is intended to mimic the texture of skin. If you're someone who wants a "poreless" look, maybe this isn't for you, but the smoothness and uniformity that this sponge gives is like perfect "real" skin.
Since it significantly thins out the coverage of makeup, your application methods will change with this tool. I've found that if I desire a heavier-coverage look, I'll apply my foundation in sections with a traditional brush and then immediately after finishing a section, I'll blend it out again with the BB sponge to get the right texture. One downfall is that using the Beauty Blender does make my makeup application time significantly longer than using a foundation brush, but I think this could be attributed to the fact that with this I know I can get an essentially flawless finish, and so I'll spend more time blending.

One thing I'll note is that the cleanser marketed to clean the Beauty Blender (Blender Cleanser? I'm not sure what it's called) isn't necessary. It's overpriced and doesn't do anything special, and it smells bad. The sponge should be washed before each use, and propped up on the stand/packaging to dry in between. I've found that baby shampoo is the best cleanser for it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 10:10:00 PM More reviews by opheliae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really did not want to buy this. I'm a pretty poor college student. I resisted all the hype because I could not understand how a sponge could be worth $20. I finally caved and got it at sephora and i absolutely don't regret it. before this i was using Real techniques expert face and I like this sponge way better.

All the hype made me want a dupe though but everyone said each dupe didn't compare to the BB.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by HollyWould123

I purchased a Chanel foundation brush (#6) back in July 2013. I purchased the beautyblender in December 2013. I am so mad at myself for having bought these two things so close together, because I absolutely fell in love with the beautyblender and feel like I've wasted my money on the foundation brush.
Lately, I have been using the foundation brush again (solely to get more use out of it!) and simply applying concealer with the beautyblender. Then I go over my face to sort of create that airbrush look the beautyblender is known for! Also, the beautyblender eats up a lot of product. So, I feel like when I apply my liquid foundation with the Chanel brush, I'm saving a bit of product and then finish the look with the beautyblender. The only con to the beautyblender is that it does use twice as much product normally used during application. I feel like the look lasts all day, which is obviously a combination of product and technique. I bought the pack of two for $30, which saves $10 (each one costs $20). I like the packaging because there's sort of a little holder inside which I've used to keep the sponge in for drying purposes instead of just letting it sit on a surface to collect germs. (It's sort of hard to explain, but those who own this know what I mean hopefully!)
I've read a lot of complaints that this is difficult to clean, which I disagree with. I will admit to being lazy with this because if I use the sponge in the morning and let it dry, chances are I'm not going to go back and wash the sponge and let it dry again before the next application. Cleansing works best when the sponge is dry. I find when I try to clean it right away after usage the product doesn't come out as readily and cleaning feels pointless. If you buy the two pack, this is probably a little easier. However, I've just stored away the spare sponge and not even used it yet. I'm just keeping it as a backup in case my current one rips or it gets lost somehow. Also, there is a cleanser specifically made for the beautyblender sold at Sephora. I have not tried this and do not know anything about it. From what I understand, I believe there is a travel kit sold on Sephora.com too which comes with the cleanser too!

As far as dupes go, I've never bought any. From what I've read on here, the dupes sold at drug stores/Ulta are nothing like the real thing. This is why I decided to just skip all that and purchase the real thing.

Overall, this has been my favorite beauty purchase by far in the past year, which is a huge statement considering how many products I've bought in the past month alone! This is HG, bring on a desert island stuff! Do not wait any longer to purchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 11:03:00 AM More reviews by surfcowboy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I discovered the beauty blender about 2 weeks ago. I dont wear much makeup, just bb cream here and there, highlighter to make my face moist, dewy and glowy & to cover some imperfections. At first like MANY others, I refused to spend that much on a damn sponge so I got SOHO at walgreens. That soho sponge was amazing BUT cracks started to occur after a weeks use and I was gentle with that baby. I saw reviews on how long people's beauty blender lasted them so I purchased 2 on ebay for 24.95.

This sponge is amazing, makes your skin achieve the dewy effect with obviously the proper products. Its best not to waste 8 bucks when you are going to have to re buy another one 7 days later so just spend more so in the long run you spend less.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2014 2:54:00 AM More reviews by dandelionjones

I'm in two minds about this product as it is great but it is SO expensive, I got another sponge when I was on holiday in South Africa, just from a generic pharmacy for a quarter of the cost and it works about the same and you don't constantly need to wet it (which becomes a bit of annoying chore as it constantly needs cleaning), I feel as though this product is a bit of a con, it's just sponge at the end of the day, how much can it cost to produce? It didn't really last very long either, after about 2 months it broke apart at the bottom, which i think was due to the constant cleaning. But it does give great coverage so if you can afford it. Try it. But IMO best testing cheaper alternatives first.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2014 2:07:00 AM More reviews by MakeUp_0507

I was very surprised and almost disappointed in the size when I saw the sponge at Sephora. Inside the packaging box, it is a very small pink egg shaped sponge. The texture of the sponge is very soft which may be why it tears apart easily when I wring out the soap and water when I'm cleaning my sponge. When wet, it expands 2-3 times its size. It leaves a very natural coverage but when using this sponge with my Estee lauder double wear foundation, it gives me a light coverage. When I use a stippling brush with my foundation, I get better coverage (medium coverage) and the brush doesn't consume so much foundation. The sponge uses up more products and doesn't distribute much onto my face. Bummer. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2014 10:02:00 AM More reviews by Pauser

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Maybe I'm missing something, but in my opinion, this is just a super expensive sponge. I hate taking the time to clean it, and as a result, I don't use it very often. Besides, I never feel like it's really clean since it's impossible to get rid of all that bacteria. I won't buy it again. I will use the disposable makeup wedges from my local drugstore. However, I did learn from using this that wetting it first makes it easier to blend makeup, so I'll add that trick to my repertoire.

UPDATE: After using this for several weeks, I have to admit I've come to love it. The way it makes the texture of my skin look is amazing! I'm very happy with the results, but I dislike the whole cleaning process. I miss my disposable wedges, but they never made my skin look like this!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 10:17:00 AM More reviews by cblazer973

I just wanted to review this again because after I read the review about using this to apply powder over foundation I have to say this is a 5/5 for me. Who ever suggested using this for powder is a godsend because it applies amazingly!!! I love how flawless this little thing makes my skin look!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by girlgeniuss

No brush, no matter how expensive, has ever made my makeup look as flawless as this sponge. It blends perfectly, cleans easily, dries quickly, and feels like velvet kisses when applying. I know the price tag has most of us weary of purchasing this, but the outcome is well worth it. I use this to apply my Mac Prep & Prime Highlighter in Light Boost under my eyes for that ultimate Kim K highlight. (Just a small note: the first time my sister and I washed our BB's, the pink dye ran a little bit which has me thinking I should switch to the new white version which contains no dye at all. This is the only reason I couldn't give it a 5.)