July 30, 2014 | 1883 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Laura Mercier - Foundation Primer Oil -Free

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2010 12:59:00 PM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE 2: I am not going to repurchase this. As one of the reviews here states, i was counting on this primer to (1) help my foundation stay on longer, and (2), MAKE IT GLIDE on my skin. Forgot to add that but it's been my concern for years, finding that one primer to smooth my skin and help alleviate my little problems, pores and little potential bumps, or just give me that Jennifer Lopez glow. This stuff, while it does help with the foundation (though not with one on the drier side, unfortunately)...doesn't help anything glide. Nivea moisturizer does, this one doesn't- Bummer. i paid so much...aaanyways.
so i will not repurchase. i do believe now that this primer is another cleverly marketed oil-free moisturizer and nothing more. so i guess the quest for the HG continues...

UPDATE:

Used this primer with my Estee Lauder Double Wear, not very happy about the results. I moisturized with Nivea, as usual (though going shopping tomorrow, new moisturizer here i come!), and this primer combined with EEDW, which is said to be 'heavy' but is not, sucked all the moist from my skin. didn't feel good :(
basically ELDW has a wonderful staying power but that comes from the ingredients that make the foundation adhere to the skin, and they happen to be a little, VERY little drying during daytime. with this under, i didn't like my skin at all.
the foundation didn't budge but this primer made my face uber dry. maybe it's for the super oily skinned people...or other foundations.

This stuff is expensive like hell. I like the packaging, the consistency, you don't have to squeeze the tube to get the product out of it because of the consistency and the design of the tube. Very hygienic i'd say, given the small opening of the tube.

It smells a bit plasticky, but the scent fades immediately and doesn't bother me at all. It is white but doesn't appear white on the skin, gets absorbed instantly and doesn't interfere with the foundation application or the pre-applied moisturizer.

Being an oil-free primer, it claims to help the foundation stay in place for a longer time in case of oily skin that has the eternal 'running down the couture-face' problem. Laura Mercier's website also states that the product helps apply the foundation easier, mistake-proof, and moisturizes the skin, supplying it with antioxidants and other active ingredients.

So far, this primer complied with its major claim- the foundation lifespan and lack of oiliness. My skin starts getting oily about 2-3 hours after i apply the foundation if i don't use a primer (or with the Lumene primer, which is kinda crappy). No shiny forehead, no shiny nose, no enlarged pores or anything.

The problem is that on my skin, it tended to 'absorb' or make my foundation fade away a little. If at 12 noon i had full coverage on my face, at 18 p.m my makeup looked fresh and non-oily but a little fading, and i could see my skin through the foundation. It did a great job with the expression lines around the mouth and the enlarged pores, preventing the foundation from caking up, which is great. Still, though it lived up to its non-oiliness expectations and foundation lasting, it disappointed me a little when it came to the even foundation aspect.

My most important observation about this product is that I am almost sure it was created to work with a higher-end foundation, maybe with a Laura Mercier one. I have used a combo of a cheap H&M foundation with a little Max Factor, therefore not the best mix in the world. Maybe the makeup would have remained flawless if i had some Dior or Estee Lauder on. I think it highly depends on the foundation one uses. Even if this product does what it says it does, i won't be expecting miracles from cheapo drugstore foundations working with the primer.

Also, i generally fix my makeup with powder, having started to gradually decrease the quantity i use- i've been basically just touching my forehead, chin and nose with the powder-blotted sponge to prevent the oiliness that usually comes after several hours from mixing with the powder and making a total gross gunk on my face. With the LM primer this didn't happen, but i have the feeling that if you use more powder or a foundation for oily skin and a light moisturizer, it might cause a faint sensation of tight skin, especially around the eyes.

My bronzer and blusher have long been gone, i think i should be reapplying them once or twice if out for more than 4 hours or if going out dancing or on a date, for example. But the foundation stayed in place, which is what the primer is supposed to do.

So yeah. Good product, but not amazing. Didn't cause irritation, redness, pimples or anything in the family.
I am a little disappointed to be honest because i usually expect high-end products to make my skin glow like Jennifer Lopez's and when this doesn't happen i get a little paranoid :))) but it is still a good product, a real help for oiliness, that i believe would work VERY good with a high-end foundation. I am going to try it this way, and get back with further updates.

Happy Shopping!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2010 2:06:00 PM More reviews by jahmecrazy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I have not yet written a review, but this product has me riled up enough to write my first. I usually use Mac Prep and Prime primer but I ran out and used this product. This product came in a kit I bought at Sephora for the moisturizing foundation in the color Sand. When I used the kit, I liked that the color matched somewhat, but unfortunatly it turned into what it is called- Sand- on my Face. I have oily skin and it immediately starts to melt on my face. Right now im using it under MUFE HD foundation, and my foundation usually looks great and people compliment me all the time when I use the MAC Prime and Prep. Well what do you know.......no one is complimenting me , and they are probably thinking in their head "wow she should wash her face". My makeup comes off very easily with just a slight wipe of the hand when I have this on. I will not be repurchasing. This might be good with someone who does not have oily skin, that does not wear foundation, and who does not want their makeup to last all day.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2010 7:23:00 AM More reviews by melodyt311

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

As I don't have particularly sensitive skin, before using this product I'll admit to never really understanding how a high-end skin care product would cause my skin to breakout.

Never, ever have I experienced such a bad reaction to a skin care product - and it took me a while to realise it was THIS primer which was causing obvious blemishes to appear on my face. My bf (who is used to my occasional spots from combo skin and lack of sleep), even asked me why and what I was using on my face to cause such spots!

I was really hoping this primer would work for me after recommendations from my friend. I took the primer to LM counter and exhanged it for the Tinted Moisturiser, which I've used in the past without any bad reactions.

As for a primer, I now use Becca's Mineral SPF30 or Mac's Prep & Prime... they both work wonderfully!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 7:54:00 PM More reviews by PeachFuzzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try a primer that would be suitable for acne pron skin. I don't break out with this and I do believe my foundation last longer but the price gets to me! I wouldn't purchase this again . Oh yeah! the squeeze tube is horrible!!!!!!!!!! it leaks. ugh...for the price it should be a pump.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2009 9:07:00 PM More reviews by kieustar

Very nice feel however it's way too expensive.

Does make my foundation stay longer and my face smoother.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/26/2009 8:14:00 PM More reviews by poppyglitters

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

not the best primer out there, i still got oily throughout the day and my makeup didnt stay put. there are much better, cheaper alternatives.(Smashbox, MUFE) dont like the packaging either.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/15/2009 4:20:00 AM More reviews by mangopancake88

I have clear normal to dry skin and have been wearing this for about 3 months. Given my success rate with the LM moisturising foundation, I didnít hesitate to try this product even though I had not tried any primers before.

Although I really liked the look and feel of this primer on my skin ( the gel-like, colourless, odourless and dries pretty quickly), I was sadly disappointed with the performance of it.

I will not repurchase this again for the following reasons:
* expensive
* no noticeable change to the staying power of my foundation
* didnít provide a smoother surface for my foundation to glide on easier
* created dry patches and flakiness on my skin
* made my foundation melt off faster
* although squeeze tube packaging is great for travelling, it leaks out once itís opened which means you lose a lot of product.

Overall, my foundation application is better without using this product. It didnít provide me with any benefits whatsoever, however, this may be largely due to the fact it doesnít suit my skin type.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2009 11:30:00 AM More reviews by mandy412

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this primer so much more than the much hyped Smashbox primer. It really locks my makeup in place and lasts all day. The texture is fine and it's not greasy, it absorbs easily and makes my makeup glide on.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2009 3:51:00 PM More reviews by Kkendalls

It did keep my makeup lasting long but i dont't like the texture
it was more like a lotion so i will be trying something else

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2009 11:49:00 AM More reviews by sailorj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had decided to go back to LM Oil Free foundation when BB Smooth Skin Foundation was discontinued. I have very sensitive skin that is prone to itching and discomfort with the wrong product and rather than try every new foundation out there I thought I would just use the LM again. When I did 5 or so yrs back I had a good experience with it. Anyways, it was the winter when I did this and even though I am oily I still need something that isn't too greasy to moisturize just a tad and helps the foundation to sit right. I can't remember what was wrong with what I was using but the last time I had used the LM primer it was the original version, I didn't realize there was an oil-free. The original burned my skin a bit but the SA promised this was formulated for sensitive skin and would help my foundation to last. She was right. It's a totally different product than the regular primer, milky and just enough moisture and really makes your makeup last longer. If you are oily like me, nothing keeps you from shining and having to blot. But when I use this with her oil-free or silk creme foundation, my makeup doesn't break up from my oil production, or settle into unflattering places, or disappear. Try a sample. Every product isn't for everyone but if you have any of the issues I have described this is worth a shot. I also have not experienced any breakouts with this product whatsoever.