October 26, 2014 | 1303 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by ferndarlin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for 3 days only, and my skin already feels smoother. I used Doves Farm organic vitamin c powder (it's pure ascorbic acid, I found it in the baking section of my local health store), a mix of geranium and witch hazel hyrdosol (I didn't have pure distilled water but I had these two which are distilled) and a few drops of jojoba oil. I'm about to try a new batch with glycerin, to see if the texture is any more silky. I'm hoping over time it will even out my skin tone and fade out my acne scars. It already seems to be helping!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2012 2:22:00 AM More reviews by lesteach

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This a great product. I always liked Vitamin C products and really it's the only one that truly makes a difference for my skin. It looks fresher, the tone is more even and my make-up applies beautifully. Just like other reviewers I purchased my Vit C and glycerin from iherb.com. Use this code to get your $5 off your order - WUY523

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2012 12:01:00 AM More reviews by 4tja

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Haven't actually tried this yet, I'm still in research mode.. just wanted to point out this useful article (& website) that says the best way to make Vitamin C serum/or to use Vit C for skincare is to use an "anhydrous vitamin C combo". The article says "One approach to improving vitamin C stability and reducing the potential for skin irritation is to use anhydrous vehicle, i.e. a topical base cream containing no water..." Worth reading!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 12:37:00 AM More reviews by saratee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

For several months, I was on a skin regimn where my derm was giving me a mild TCA peel on a regular basis and hydroquinone and retin A treatment( Obagi Nuderm). Although the treamtent significantly helped with my pigmentation, I was left with EXTREMELY irritated, flaky and sensitive skin. It's sensitive to the point that even attempting to sqeeze a black head can lead to a huge zit. Any hydrating cream makes me break out. All of these have left me with marks and uneven skin tone and i am 10 times worse off then i was before my obagi nu derm treatment :(.

I started using this serum a few weeks back. My skin is so super soft and supple and hydrated. Those annoying flaky bits around my mouth and chin are GONE. I expect to see improvement with my acne scarring soon. This is the formulation i use:

1 tsp vitamin C powder
5-6 tsp water (enough to dissolve). I never use hot water as ascorbic acid is very unstable and heat can change its properties.
4-5 tsp glycerin.

I usually add up the two liquids to 10 tsp. I guess that gives me a 10% vit C solution?

In the past I've added vitamin E or even a very small quantitiy of Retin A. The vitamin E was really thick and made me break out ( no surpises there). so now i just stick with the basic recipe. I might add the liqorice extract in a few weeks.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2012 2:42:00 PM More reviews by harveystuart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Brilliant idea! I have always made my own facial stuff but I've never thought to make something with vitamin C.
I went to Whole Foods today and picked up some Camu Camu, Vegetable Glycerine, Licorice Root extract, and Raspberry Leaf Extract (a total of 80 bucks! but I can see why some people would already have all this around the house, so, you know.).
I think I must have done something wrong, and I actually feel really goofy, because the Camu Camu powder is a dark color and the mixture stayed an orangey/bronze and felt pretty sticky. I couldn't blend it into my fair skin so right now I have what looks like red clay lumped onto my face. I have terrible cystic acne scars around my jaw, chin and mouth and, being stubbornly hopeful, I decided to keep the shit on my face for about an hour and see what it does to brighten my skin tone, fade scars, and minimize fine lines. If it works, I'll use it as a mask a few times a week. I'm pretty hopeful! Also it smells great but I wouldn't recommend tasting it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2012 12:50:00 PM More reviews by AshleyFontenot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Really makes my skin look a whole lot better. I will use this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by astrick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Holy cow!!! I've been making my own cleaning products for years because I was tired of spending $5.00 a bottle for something that's mostly water. Skin care is no different, just more expensive. I don't know why I didn't think of making my own skin care earlier!

I've been using this for 5 days. My skin is more even toned and my fine lines look better. Since I can make this weekly, I can ensure the Vitamin C stays potent. I'm waiting on my hyaluronic acid to arrive so I can add it to the mix.

Thank you SOOOOOO much!!! I will never go back to paying for Vitamin C serum again.

PS... I use the recipe posted by DuchessofGrapes. See her post below for the recupe...

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by span29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I was interested in using a Vitamin C serum because I had a large scar that I wanted to fade. I was hoping for minimal results - a lightening of the scar, but I am so surprised that my scar is gone!

I've used the serum for about 4 months now.

My recipe:
1/2 tablespoon of L-ascorbic powder (NOW Foods Brand)
2 tablespoons of hot water
1/2 tablespoon of vegetable glycerin
*During the winter months when my skin is dry, I add a Vitamin E capsule and an Aloe Vera leaf for extra hydration.
- I store the serum in an amber dropper bottle.

The serum might sting the first time using it, which is normal. However, if it the stinging does not subside even after a few minutes, then wash it off and try diluting the solution.

I put this all over my face and body. At first I was hesitant to put it on my face due to the eczema on my cheeks, but oddly enough, it did not burn my face. My skin feels "thicker" and maybe that was why it helped.

I love this serum. You can get even better results when you use it in conjunction with a hyaluronic product. In the morning I use Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid Lotion and then put the serum on. My mother asked me what foundation I was wearing! It gives me the most amazing glow!

I have also seem some improvement on my stretch marks (yay!). The lines are still visible, but they feel much smoother. They no longer have the pitted texture. I will use this for a few more months and see how that goes.

I will continue using this serum forever!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by kristlkrost

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

God I wish you could answer people's posts..Is there any way to do that??I'm just now getting into making all kinds of home made concoctions and will make this too..Thank you all..It's a lot of fun You can buy most stuff on ebay very cheap..Also the Perlabella line at Walgreens is GREAT stuff..NO water and micro sponge technology and it 's only 20 bucks!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love using vitamin c serum on my face. This is my recipe:
1 tsp Camu Camu or Ascobic Acid
1 1/2 tbsp Water
1/2 tbsp Vegetable Glycerin
10 drops Licorice Root Extract
10 drops Raspberry Extract
I mix the hot water and powder, then add the glycerin and extracts. I keep it in a blue dropper bottle and make it fresh every week. The licorice and raspberry extracts help to tighten and reduce pigmentation. Whenever I get a pimple, the scar stays around for SUCH a long time even if the pimple goes away in a day. I'm also out in the sun a lot since I live in a tropical area. As a natural redhead, I need to make sure that I'm protecting my skin (vitamin c helps) and keeping it glowing and freckle free (licorice and raspberry helps). It has been such an amazing addition to my skincare routine. I make most of my own products and this is one of the first things that I ever made. When I found out how easy and effective this kind of stuff was to make, it didn't start a new hobby for me. It was a revelation that pushed me into a lifestyle change that has been so much cheaper, healthier, and effective for me. You can totally customize this serum for any skin type or problem. I love it.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No