October 25, 2014 | 1824 users online

Lip Gloss - MAC - Lipglass in Oyster Girl

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2007 10:17:00 AM More reviews by laratron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Picture: Oyster Girl applied without lipliner. If the image isn't working, you can find it mirrored at http://mac.larahill.com/swatch/displayimage.php?pos=-295.

I think it's become fairly obvious that I love pale, pale, pale lip colours. I started off with MAC's Bombshell lipstick, and have slowly been working my way up the spectrum to the most bleached-out, milky pink lipsticks and glosses that I can get my hands on. Oyster Girl was a random impulse purchase a few months ago, I bought it solely on the recommendation of someone on Specktra.

Applied to my pale to medium-pigmented lips (depending on what time of the day you get me), it picks up that pinkness and turns into a true oyster pink, the subtle milky pink that you find in a freshwater oyster as shell blends into mother-of-pearl. The subtle white-gold shimmer is a discreet pearl rather than a glitter, and adds lustre and dimension without being metallic. From a distance the effect is a seamless plush look, not a glitterbomb.

MAC have tweaked and/or reformulated the lipglass formula, so my current tube of this is the new and improved lipglass - it still has a thicker 'slip' with a longish staying power, but it now also has that non-sticky 'thin' feeling that I associate with Lipgelees and similar lighter lipglosses.

The picture above is a good representation of how the lipglass looks from a normal, medium application - silky and glossy, not opaque but not transparent. I don't have any issues with it washing me out, rather I find that it plays up that whole PPP raven-haired-snow-princess vibe that I like to cultivate. I often wear this product alone, but it is also lovely to layer over lipsticks like Politely Pink or Lovedust, or to dab in the middle of my pout when sporting lipsticks like Russian Red, Girl About Town or the various Viva Glams.

I think Oyster Girl is one of those colours that you either love or hate, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground with it. The milkiness I described with this lipglass makes it a prime candidate for washing people out, so I can suggest that this is one product you should really try before you buy. For darker complexions or those with tan/brown lips, this lipglass will probably lose the pink undertone and turn ashy or outright grey on you. YMMV.

Would I repurchase again? I've said yes for now, because whilst I really like the product, chances are good that I'll find another ultra pale lipgloss that goes that little bit further/higher/better. For now though, it's a staple that I happily carry in my make-up bag.

Ingredients: Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Tin Oxide, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Acrylates Copolymer, Vanillin, Isopropylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben. May contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Carmine (CI 75470), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red Lake 28 (45410), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005).

I am: PPP, MAC NW15/NW100, KA SSE SX 01, Prescriptives Real Camellia, black hair and blue eyes. continued >>

32 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2007 7:37:00 PM More reviews by zaintek

I love this lipstick especially when I play up my eyes with dramatic eyeshadow. The consistency of the lipglass is better than most. I'd definately buy this again!!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/30/2007 3:39:00 PM More reviews by suzier

This is really average for me -- the color is pretty light for my lips, and it ends up just kind of like a frosted very light pink, nearly clear. However, it amused me when I got it, it continues to amuse me and taste good, and it is very pretty in the tube, so I like having it around. It's sort of a no-harm-no-foul gloss. It doesn't look good, but it doesn't look bad, either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2007 12:34:00 AM More reviews by BuffyDaLipGlossEater

Very stunning color. It's a pretty pale pink, with just the lightest touch of gold shimmer - very sophisticated! I like pairing this with a majority of my lipcolors, especially Syrup to give it a little extra punch.

I definitely think that this is the kind of color that may better suit people with paler complexions, although with darker complexions it could be used as a highlight.

Either way, it's definitely a gloss that's worth looking at.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2007 12:46:00 AM More reviews by GreedyGretchen77

looks pretty in the tube but made me look washed out. not flattering on NC25/NC30 skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2007 11:31:00 PM More reviews by MonicaWhitfield

This is the color that I've been looking for for so long! In the past, I'd layerabout 3 lipglosses and a lipstick just to achieve what this looks like alone. It gives me the perfect nude lip and the color makes my bronze skin glow!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2007 5:06:00 AM More reviews by GlitzGlamGlitter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oyster Girl is very pretty in the container. That said, I think it would look really great on someone. Not me. It sort of washes me out. The color is an unnatural looking pink on my lips with a hint of of bluish/pink. Not flattering and not enough color for me. I really want to know who this would look good on. I own a new one and haven't even used it.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/6/2007 8:16:00 PM More reviews by wwwdotdawn

No pleased with this at all. Made me look dead...I am NC30

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2007 8:10:00 PM More reviews by LaGitana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I usually love MAC but I wasn't impressed with this color. It's described on the website as a "freshwater oyster pink", but on my NC40 skintone it's rather a pale milkish purpley pink, not very flattering. I did try this alone, without l/l or l/s so maybe it needs to be punched up a bit. Anyhow, I think this might look better on darker skintones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2007 10:52:00 PM More reviews by crazydiamond360

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A nice color but not HG. A very pale, whitish/milky pink with gold shimmer. The pink is the color of “Pretty Please” lipstick, and the gold shimmer is like that in “Nymphette” gloss. A great color for toning down pigmented lips...very sheer, sheer enough that it doesn’t wash me out, shimmery enough that I can see something’s there. Surprisingly, it’s extremely natural looking on NC15 me. Oyster Girl doesn’t knock my HG out of it’s place but it’s my pale gloss of choice...most will most likely repurchase.