April 19, 2014 | 1579 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2008 10:44:00 AM More reviews by HeatherlyBreezes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not the creamiest consistency, but that being said, it did stay put; I even had a stain left after two cups of coffee, and not really a lot of transfer.

I like the color a lot, but ideally would like it to be a bit redder, rather than rosy. This is definitely not a blue red. Not as sheer as the name would imply, a better name might be "Soft Red", but can be applied lightly or heavily as desired. I'm a redhead with pale, but ruddy skin and freckles, so red is hard for me to find and pull off. I would definitely repurchase this if I needed another red lipstick, long before shelling out more bucks for something high end that I may or may not end up liking just as well.

I don't mind the cheapness of the packaging, but do wish that the product swiveled all the way down into the tube, as it's easily damaged.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/31/2007 10:07:00 PM More reviews by Nick_Tesla

Eh. For the price, this is excellent, but I don't think it's especially impressive compared to some of the better lipsticks outside its price range. Smells cheap, but inoffensive. Sort of sweet and fruity. Despite the name, the texture is neither sheer nor opaque. A little oily on, nothing terrible, nothing special. Color is a wine-red, sort of a beginner's red, not a loud, deep, or true red for the red lipstick freaks out there, IMO. I think Sheer Red looks best applied lightly, which creates a soft, stained ruby look. Not at all bad, but overrated. Basically, I think this is an average product that gets a lot of hype because it costs less than a dollar.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2007 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Belladonna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Don't even bother reading all of the reviews here, just go and buy this right now. Trust the make up board on this one, it's a must buy. I would have never thought that one of my HGs would end up being a $1.99 NYC lipstick.
It is a nice light sheer red, much like Clinique Angel Red (the idea, not the shade or exact consistency) that a PPP can wear and not look overdone. I wear this so much that I usually have at least two tubes in rotation and I really hope that they never discontinue it. Minus one lippie for the crappy cheapo plastic packaging and cap that sometimes comes loose. Bonus: it smells really nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2007 4:35:00 PM More reviews by starlette17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This lipstick is great! I wanted to try out a darker lip color than my usual "everyday" gloss. I would say this color is more berry than red, at least on me, and it's not exactly sheer either, lol. Anyways, on it's own it looks OK, maybe even a bit too harsh...but I put my VS Beauty Rush lipgloss in Piece of Cake over it and it looks so pretty! It lasts awhile and you can't go wrong with 94 cents.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2007 2:41:00 AM More reviews by weeks919

love, love, love!!! and only a dollar at target!!!! i put this on, and it is matte and creamy at the same time. sometimes, i put on some victorias secret beauty rush in oatstanding or caramal apple to add some shine. it works soooo well for ivory skin and just a slight bit of pink blush. looks and wears like a high end product with a dollar pirce tag!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2007 5:34:00 AM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

Click continued for product pic

Color: A cool toned berry shade. Nevermind the "sheer" part of this...there is nothing sheer about it unless you purposely make it that way.

Price: Right around $1 when you add tax.

Packaging: Average...black tube w/ clear cap. Lipstick doesn't twist down all the way into the tube so it is easy to knick the lipstick if one is not careful.

Texture: Pretty moisturizing, creamy, full color pigment..very smooth and easy to apply. Not greasy.

Raves: The formula is good like all the lippies of this line. It looks decent when applied sheerly or even with a heavier hand. I do appreciate the fact that this is a cool toned berry red and I like that it doesn't contain any shimmer. Doesn't look matte or anything, more creamy. This shade does make my teeth look whiter when I wear it which is a plus.

Rants: I think it is too berryish for the look I was hoping to get from this. And it has a cool pink undertone to it that I don't like that is extremely noticable as it starts to fade, at least on me. continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2007 10:31:00 PM More reviews by juwel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

A fellow MUAer recommended this when I said I wanted to wear red lipstick for my formal. She was so right! This is a wonderful berry red, sheer when you blot it (and you should blot red lipstick..). Very understated considering it's a red! I am a red lipstick girl in the winter, with high contrast (I'm a fair Asian with very black hair and dark brown eyes) and it's very flattering for my colouring. This is a rather cool red, with blue undertones, so probably better for girls with cool colouring. Only irritating thing is the smell and the packaging - I am not a high-end only girl, but I do appreciate a good-looking lipstick tube, like Revlon's, rather than a cheap loose tube. Also, the smell is sickly sweet. The formula is amazing though - very moisturizing, unlike many reds that are drying. Very good for red lipstick beginners!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2007 4:01:00 PM More reviews by LovelyAmazing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Who would have thought such a versatile red existed in the drugstore? After years of searching for the perfect red, I recently discovered MAC's Diva (a dark red)a couple of months ago, but NYC's Sheer Red is a close 2nd! It's brighter than my beloved Diva, but it's just as flattering against my NW45 skin because of it's sheerness. I pair this with Milani's Red Velvet lip pencil. Can't beat the 99 cent price either!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2007 7:08:00 PM More reviews by CheckyDoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Wow...what a great d/s find! I am a huge red l/s lover, I saw so many raves for this one I decided to pick it up at CVS and for like $1.99, why not?
I instantly loved it when I applied it. I don't consider this sheer though, I find it to be just like any other normal red l/s. Oh well, I like it either way.
Great color, consistancy & lasts.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/30/2007 8:15:00 PM More reviews by peachytea

I was excited to try this, but it turned out to be pretty opaque, and it pulled a bright fuschia tone on me. There was also a slightly crayonish smell like l'oreal lipsticks tend to have. The mauve gold shade I bought this with is a more wearable nudey pink with gold shimmer, and doesn't have a scent.