Milk of Magnesia as Primer

Price: $

on 5/18/2010 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I was expecting something amazing due to all the reviews I have watched/read but it was no better than my moisturiser (which is an oil controlling one). It works but I was expecting more. My skin is extremely oily and this only controlled the oil for a few hours.

on 5/18/2010 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

WINNER!

on 5/9/2010 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

Who would have known that a laxative would be my HG primer? Shames all others. I have skin that's super oily/acne-prone/sensitive, so most primers that work end up breaking out. And the ones that don't break me out don't really work. Normally, by 10am I have to blot when I don't use this. But with MOM, no blotting until at LEAST 1pm.

Application: after washing, toning, and lightly moisturizing my face (and letting the moisture sink in for about 2-5 minutes), I blot off excess oil with a single ply of tissue paper, then shake the bottle to mix the contents up. I usually use about 3 drops and apply a super thin layer to my nose and the area immediately around it, a lickle bit on my eyelids, and chin. If I'm in a rush, I fan it for a couple seconds, otherwise I get dressed and let it dry on it's own. After that, there's sometimes some chalky residue if I've applied too much, so i lightly run a dry cotton ball over those areas and then apply my foundation/concealer as usual.

For my eyelids, I apply, dry, then put a little bit of MAC Paint Pot in Painterly over it, and BAM! Long-lasting, creaseless eyeshadow. I'm talking about "lasts through rain before the club, a long night of dancing, and pancake house afterwards" - WOW.

Although I've marked "Yes" to purchase this product again, a few drops goes SUCH a long way that it'll probably be close to the expiration date of the product before I have to buy any more..

on 4/20/2010 1:47:00 PM

This keeps oil at bay all night. I mix it with some water and then use a wedge to spread over my t-zone. Then I apply my foundation over it. It really is amazing to not have "shiny face" at the end of a wedding or some other night activity. I don't use this daily, just for special events weirdly enough. Just make sure to mix it with enough water or you'll get a white cast.

on 4/16/2010 5:45:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I went to Dollar Tree and got a bottle because I wasn't sure if this would work or break out my face. Best dollar I've ever spent! I put it on after my sunscreen and then do my makeup and it's great! It feels nice, no smell, keeps my pores and shine in check ( I have combo skin), make up looks good all day and it's great as an eyeshadow primer as well. It doesn't look chalky although it will leave some white marks if it you don't blend well but they come off easy. No breakouts either!

on 4/13/2010 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i have SUPER oily skin. Other girls that tell me they have oily skin don't compare to the amount of oil i have on my skin. With that said, this product helped very little to control the oil. So really, this product didn't help my oil problem at all. Maybe this would help on girls with less oil production than I do.

on 4/3/2010 4:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought the Original Phillips brand of Milk of Magnesia and thus far I really like it as a primer. I have really oily skin and it keeps my skin from getting not at oily. I was really nervous about using this because after all it is a laxative and the idea of putting a laxative on my face did not seem appealing, but nothing seems to stop from keeping my face from getting oily. The product packaging has its upside and its downside. It comes in a huge bottle (since it is a laxative) so you get a lot of product for only a couple of dollars, but because the bottle is so big it's hard to use the product. I poured it into a smaller bottle that I bought from the 99 cent section of Target. Firstly, I wash my face and I don't know how much of the product other people use, but I use about a dime size. I rub it between my palms (like I would with lotion) and then I apply it on my face. It sometimes does leave white residue, but this can easily be wiped off with your fingers. Afterwards my face feels matte and my makeup is applied flawless. I've been using it for the past week and I've had makeup on all day and I've gone to dance practice and although my face gets sweaty my makeup is still in place. My face gets really oily if I do not use enough of the product, but if I use the right amount, I still get a tad bit of oil, but it's more like a natural shine.

on 3/28/2010 2:38:00 AM

I never considered buying this product until I read about its use as an oil absorber here on MUA. I have to say I was very skeptical but if it didn't work I wasn't out a bunch of cash so I grabbed a small bottle & set out to give it a try.

I've used this several times now and I have to say it's almost automatic for me now. After some trial & error I found what works best for me;

I bought one of those travel bottles (4oz size) & I mix up about 1oz MoM & 3oz purified water & use a cotton pad to dab it on my T-zone AFTER I apply moisturizer. After drydown there is a VERY slight white residue/film. I then apply my foundation (Philosophy Supernatural ABC) I have increasingly large pores & normal combination skin. This makes my pores virtually disappear (hurray!) & I don't have to use any powder or blotting papers for at least 8 hours. My skin also appears smoother & this *seems* to lessen the appearance of my forehead lines. I have not tried this with a liquid foundation as I don't own any atm.

I also tried this on my eyelids as mine tend to be oily & it works pretty well for that too!

BIG THANK YOU's to the person who first discovered it & to those of you that posted about it for me to find here =D

on 3/22/2010 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I was seriously hesitant about trying this (something about putting a laxative on my face...) but I was so desperate! I live in a humid climate and with summer quickly approaching, I knew I had to do something. I am glad to report, THIS WORKS! There is no funky smell or weird, slimy feel, it just feels like putting on moisturizer. It also didn't dry out my skin or cause breakouts on my acne-prone skin.
I apply it with a wedge before I put on my makeup. I had read about chalky residue so at first I didn't use enough. It was pretty easy after that to find the right amount. I use more than the dime-sized amount some say to use, but that might just be me. I also recommend keeping a smaller amount in a travel bottle. Makes it easier to use.
After about an hour, I develop a tiny amount of shine (looks more dewy than oily or shiny) but it never gets worse than that. Aside from cutting the oil, the best part of this is that my makeup stays in place *all day*. I don't have to worry about touching my face or blot sheets taking off my makeup. I am out for 10-12 hours a day most days and my makeup stays place all day.
A real lifesaver!!!

on 3/18/2010 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

After reading through hundreds of reviews about Milk Of Magnesia as a make up primer, I finally decided to spend $7 for a HUGE 26 fl oz bottle. I made sure it was the original, with neither flavoring or added ingrediants (as some brands contain mineral oil, acne-prone skin's worst enemy!).
I have always had excessively oily, acne-prone skin. I tried both Clinique and Smashbox primers, neither potent enough for my skin to hold up to their claims. It was always an hour later when my face returned to its usually greasy appearance. I'm not sure how I came across MoM but it definitely intrigued me with it receiving so many good reviews. And I have to say, I can see why!
From my experience so far, this isn't a miracle product... BUT, it is the best product I've tried to date! For $7 this is the BEST primer I could ask for. I can also easily see this bottle lasting me longer than a year while using it on a everyday basis.

At first I put a thin layer with a makeup sponge and it did absolutely nothing for me. Then after watching YouTube video reviews, everyone recommended using a cotton ball or just their fingers.
So this is what I do: After I wash my face, tone, and moisturize. I shake up my MoM bottle, open it, take the cap and pour a little MoM in it. Then with clean fingers I pick some up and apply a thin layer to my whole face, gently wiping it everywhere. I then apply a little more to my t-zone, as it's of course the most oily area. After the MoM dries, I check to make sure there is no white marks left. If there are, they can easily be rubbed in with your fingers. Afterward I apply my concealer, liquid foundation, powder, blush and eye makeup as normally.

One hour later, my makeup still looks flawless. Three hours later, my makeup still looks perfect but I can see a sheen starting to come through on my nose, but only my nose. 5 hours later, I need to blot and powder but still, mostly just on my nose and a bit on my t-zone... yet my makeup is still in place! WOW, amazing as usually my makeup just fades and separates throughout the day. Also, when I usually can't wear eye shadow, this makes it stay in place all day while also keeping my eyeliner from smudging. Truly a bonus! So far it hasn't made me break out or cause any adverse reactions either!

I am seriously in love with this stuff. Like I said, it's not a miracle product so don't get your hopes up too high but it really is an incredible find for such an awesome price and amount. Honestly, I was really skeptical about this but I let my curiosity get the best of me and I'm so glad I did! Please give it a chance my fellow oilies! :)

Popular Primer/ Correctors