October 23, 2014 | 2050 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia as Primer

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2010 5:45:00 PM More reviews by mouse1217

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I went to Dollar Tree and got a bottle because I wasn't sure if this would work or break out my face. Best dollar I've ever spent! I put it on after my sunscreen and then do my makeup and it's great! It feels nice, no smell, keeps my pores and shine in check ( I have combo skin), make up looks good all day and it's great as an eyeshadow primer as well. It doesn't look chalky although it will leave some white marks if it you don't blend well but they come off easy. No breakouts either!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2010 12:08:00 AM More reviews by RTDsbb

i have SUPER oily skin. Other girls that tell me they have oily skin don't compare to the amount of oil i have on my skin. With that said, this product helped very little to control the oil. So really, this product didn't help my oil problem at all. Maybe this would help on girls with less oil production than I do.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2010 4:23:00 AM More reviews by ramibinx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought the Original Phillips brand of Milk of Magnesia and thus far I really like it as a primer. I have really oily skin and it keeps my skin from getting not at oily. I was really nervous about using this because after all it is a laxative and the idea of putting a laxative on my face did not seem appealing, but nothing seems to stop from keeping my face from getting oily. The product packaging has its upside and its downside. It comes in a huge bottle (since it is a laxative) so you get a lot of product for only a couple of dollars, but because the bottle is so big it's hard to use the product. I poured it into a smaller bottle that I bought from the 99 cent section of Target. Firstly, I wash my face and I don't know how much of the product other people use, but I use about a dime size. I rub it between my palms (like I would with lotion) and then I apply it on my face. It sometimes does leave white residue, but this can easily be wiped off with your fingers. Afterwards my face feels matte and my makeup is applied flawless. I've been using it for the past week and I've had makeup on all day and I've gone to dance practice and although my face gets sweaty my makeup is still in place. My face gets really oily if I do not use enough of the product, but if I use the right amount, I still get a tad bit of oil, but it's more like a natural shine.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2010 2:38:00 AM More reviews by snarkywench

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I never considered buying this product until I read about its use as an oil absorber here on MUA. I have to say I was very skeptical but if it didn't work I wasn't out a bunch of cash so I grabbed a small bottle & set out to give it a try.

I've used this several times now and I have to say it's almost automatic for me now. After some trial & error I found what works best for me;

I bought one of those travel bottles (4oz size) & I mix up about 1oz MoM & 3oz purified water & use a cotton pad to dab it on my T-zone AFTER I apply moisturizer. After drydown there is a VERY slight white residue/film. I then apply my foundation (Philosophy Supernatural ABC) I have increasingly large pores & normal combination skin. This makes my pores virtually disappear (hurray!) & I don't have to use any powder or blotting papers for at least 8 hours. My skin also appears smoother & this *seems* to lessen the appearance of my forehead lines. I have not tried this with a liquid foundation as I don't own any atm.

I also tried this on my eyelids as mine tend to be oily & it works pretty well for that too!

BIG THANK YOU's to the person who first discovered it & to those of you that posted about it for me to find here =D

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2010 9:05:00 PM More reviews by hoosiergirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was seriously hesitant about trying this (something about putting a laxative on my face...) but I was so desperate! I live in a humid climate and with summer quickly approaching, I knew I had to do something. I am glad to report, THIS WORKS! There is no funky smell or weird, slimy feel, it just feels like putting on moisturizer. It also didn't dry out my skin or cause breakouts on my acne-prone skin.
I apply it with a wedge before I put on my makeup. I had read about chalky residue so at first I didn't use enough. It was pretty easy after that to find the right amount. I use more than the dime-sized amount some say to use, but that might just be me. I also recommend keeping a smaller amount in a travel bottle. Makes it easier to use.
After about an hour, I develop a tiny amount of shine (looks more dewy than oily or shiny) but it never gets worse than that. Aside from cutting the oil, the best part of this is that my makeup stays in place *all day*. I don't have to worry about touching my face or blot sheets taking off my makeup. I am out for 10-12 hours a day most days and my makeup stays place all day.
A real lifesaver!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2010 10:46:00 PM More reviews by jdkrase

After reading through hundreds of reviews about Milk Of Magnesia as a make up primer, I finally decided to spend $7 for a HUGE 26 fl oz bottle. I made sure it was the original, with neither flavoring or added ingrediants (as some brands contain mineral oil, acne-prone skin's worst enemy!).
I have always had excessively oily, acne-prone skin. I tried both Clinique and Smashbox primers, neither potent enough for my skin to hold up to their claims. It was always an hour later when my face returned to its usually greasy appearance. I'm not sure how I came across MoM but it definitely intrigued me with it receiving so many good reviews. And I have to say, I can see why!
From my experience so far, this isn't a miracle product... BUT, it is the best product I've tried to date! For $7 this is the BEST primer I could ask for. I can also easily see this bottle lasting me longer than a year while using it on a everyday basis.

At first I put a thin layer with a makeup sponge and it did absolutely nothing for me. Then after watching YouTube video reviews, everyone recommended using a cotton ball or just their fingers.
So this is what I do: After I wash my face, tone, and moisturize. I shake up my MoM bottle, open it, take the cap and pour a little MoM in it. Then with clean fingers I pick some up and apply a thin layer to my whole face, gently wiping it everywhere. I then apply a little more to my t-zone, as it's of course the most oily area. After the MoM dries, I check to make sure there is no white marks left. If there are, they can easily be rubbed in with your fingers. Afterward I apply my concealer, liquid foundation, powder, blush and eye makeup as normally.

One hour later, my makeup still looks flawless. Three hours later, my makeup still looks perfect but I can see a sheen starting to come through on my nose, but only my nose. 5 hours later, I need to blot and powder but still, mostly just on my nose and a bit on my t-zone... yet my makeup is still in place! WOW, amazing as usually my makeup just fades and separates throughout the day. Also, when I usually can't wear eye shadow, this makes it stay in place all day while also keeping my eyeliner from smudging. Truly a bonus! So far it hasn't made me break out or cause any adverse reactions either!

I am seriously in love with this stuff. Like I said, it's not a miracle product so don't get your hopes up too high but it really is an incredible find for such an awesome price and amount. Honestly, I was really skeptical about this but I let my curiosity get the best of me and I'm so glad I did! Please give it a chance my fellow oilies! :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Tuts311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Did nothing for my extremely oily skin other than make it feel tight and leave white streaks :( , but it was cheap and worth giving a go. Glad it works for so many other ladys and i have since found a product that works for me :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2010 9:15:00 AM More reviews by shtow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love MOM. I use it before applying my foundation, and even when I have white streaks, once I apply the foundation, those white streaks disappear for the whole day! Also, my Studio Fix usually oxidizes, making me look orange-r and darker. When I use MOM as a primer, It does not change color and my oily skin stays matte. When I use it, I shake it up, and pour some in the lid. Then I take a cotton swab and apply it to my eyes and face. This is all I use on my face under my foundation and powder.

NOW for my eyes! All eye primers crease on me. I apply MOM and then any primer and I am so serious - my eyeshadow looks like I just applied it until I wash it off!!

The uploaded pic is of me wearing eyeshadow for TWELVE hours with MOM under Loreal decrease primer (the pic is w/ the smoked out brown eyeshadow)

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2010 9:14:00 PM More reviews by tawnyinthepink

I use this as a 'primer' really. You have to be careful not to apply too much though because if you do then you will have a white line or film over your face. I usually use three dots and that covers my 'problem' areas perfectly. So, far less than a dime size application for me. I stay un-oily for most of my 9/11 hour work day. Total BONUS for me! :) I may have to touch-up once though...usually this is around the half way mark of my day...which (for me) isn't bad at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2010 11:20:00 PM More reviews by fbomb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i have very oily, non-sensitive skin. without this product (as a primer), i'm constantly blotting, and (mineral) foundation separates into a terrible mess on my face half way through the day. yeah, its tough. i finally took the leap in trying this product after finding out some people have been using it as a primer. i've been using it for a week and its absolutely awesome! i don't ever have to blot my face through the day (can you say miracle!?). its easy to apply; just a thin layer (i use a make up sponge) or else you'll have white residue on your face, but just wipe it a little and it'll come off. i don't recommend this to people who have anything other than an oily face or if you have sensitive skin. it will dry your face out causing a break out. however like i said, i'm very oily and i have not broken out from this.

Routine:
Wash face with cleanser (i use st. ives olive cleanser)
Toner (i use olay refreshing toner)
Moisturize (i use olay complete spf 15 for combination/oily skin)
Milk of Magnesia
Foundation (i use monave mineral make up)