July 30, 2014 | 1018 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2012 11:49:00 PM More reviews by bonstamonsta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried this method of cleaning a few days ago and I wish I never did. I used Olive Oil and I must admit that the first night I tried it, my skin felt pretty good. In the morning, it looked radiant and not so clogged. I was really happy with the results. After a couple days, my skin changed. Just like other reviewers here, my skin reacted to the oil in such a negative way. I started developing whiteheads on places that I usually never break out, such as the jawline, lower cheeks and even near my neck. It was quite odd. On top of the breakouts, my face became SUPER-DUPER oily and I am normally combination/dry. I looked absolutely gross! I even cleansed with another cleanser after using the olive oil just to make sure that all the oil was washed away. Hence, OCM has really changed the tone and the texture of my skin in the worse ways possible. I don't want to discourage OCM to everyone because I believe that it can work for many. But for those with sensitive and acne-prone skin, I would definitely use caution. If I could go back in time, I wish I never attempted this method. Even after stopping OCM, my skin is still in bad shape and in its recovering phase. The oiliness is still there and my skin is left bumpy and horrid. Again, proceed with caution. I don't really believe in the purging process, therefore, if you begin to see and feel bumps on your face that you never had, I would stop using OCM pronto. It's not worth it in the long run. And for those who have success, consider yourselves lucky.
UPDATE: 2 Months later, I am still suffering from dreadful whiteheads and clogged pores on jawline and sides of my chin. UGH! Really wish I hadn't try OCM.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2012 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Jiyapiya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

No understatement, the OCM changed my life.
My skin was just...normal. It's sensitive and uneven, but no breakouts.

Trying the OCM, learning what worked for me, and now becoming a pro at it, has opened me up to a completely different view of skincare.

For people who break out, use less castor oil.

Use olive for moisturizing, coconut for perfect skin.

I've actually gotten to the point where I feel as if foundation takes away the glow of my natural skin! Good luck!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by HoosierGirl08

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is why Pond's works so well, people! Pond's Cold Cream's main ingredient is Mineral Oil, which is completely non-comedogenic. It's an easy over the counter product that utilizes OCM. You smear this all over your face and wipe off with a warm washcloth. Best makeup remover ever! I never would've thought applying oil on my face would help with breakouts but it did. My advice it to try it and put down the soap! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/21/2012 10:47:00 AM More reviews by mimepanda

I've been experimenting with OCM on and off for a few years now. The first time I tried it was when I was dealing with a lot of cystic acne as a teenager, and although the method didn't irritate my skin or dry it out, it didn't seem to improve the cysts much so I gave up within a week or so. This time, I was experiencing a small breakout about 5 months after finishing a regiment of antibiotics which had cleared up my entire face, cysts and all. I figured that since my skin was doing ok maybe OCM could help to dry out the few pimples that had cropped up. I used a mixture of 50:50 jojoba oil and grapeseed oil with a few drops of castor oil (since my skin is quite dry I didn't want to use too much castor oil). I didn't steam my face every time I used it (only used it once a day at night) but I didn't notice a huge difference when I did steam. For the first few days it was a miracle! My skin felt plump and moisturized, my blackheads decreased and the acne was going away almost immediately. I happily continued for two weeks, then woke up one morning with a forehead full of whiteheads, clogged pores, painful red bumps and two huge cysts. The transition happened so quickly. I literally had glowing, acne-free skin going to bed and woke up with a very angry, red face. I've switched to a different oil cleanser with an emulsifier and gone back for some more antibiotics and my skin is finally calming down again. Very disappointed with how this turned out, however I do agree with the other reviewers that castor oil is the likely culprit. I've moisturized my face with jojoba oil a lot and have never had a bad reaction or a breakout, so when I am done with my new oil cleanser I may try this again with just jojoba oil. Will update if anything changes.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 7:25:00 AM More reviews by magnumed

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have no words. I have very acne prone skin, and I get bumps and imperfections from all cleansers I've used. After trying proactiv, neutrogena, vichy normaderm line and many, many more I accidentally stumbled upon the oil cleansing method while i was reading beauty articles online. I was very hesitant to put oil on my skin. I did my research well. I read every single review on the OCM here on MUA, and from various other websites, because I wanted to be sure I'm not exacerbating my skin. I'm 16 years old with moderate acne (atleast I had before

This review is based on a use of 5 months
-----
CONS
time consuming

PROS
I dont have to do it everyday, I can do it every two days and still have good skin
Has cleared me from all my blemishes
Leaves my skin so soft
----
I use about 30% of castor oil and 70% sunflower seed oil. This works well for me, the sunflower oil dilutes the castor oil and makes it easier to remove. I recently switched from OCM to Vichy normaderm but gosh i regret it. After 2 weeks i switched back to OCM and now my former breakouts are almost gone and swelling has reduced. The OCM is the best thing that has happened to my skin and I will continue using it and modify the formula as my teenage acne goes away.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by bludvls849

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This review may be a bit premature as I've only been doing this for a week, but I will update as I go along.

Background: I've had very clog and acne-prone skin for the past 3 years. My skin easily scars, and I have plenty of hyperpigmentation and redness on my cheeks and some on my chin, primarily from hormonal acne. At the same time, my skin is very easily dried out and requires very gentle cleansing. Lately my skin has been more sensitive than usual, and products I typically use turn my skin into a dry, red mess. With acne. Yay!

OCM transformed my skin overnight. It's not that my skin goes from scarred to glowing and perfect, but it's FAR less red and irritated. I massage a couple of drops of jojoba oil onto my wet face and neck in the shower, massage for a few minutes, then massage in cetaphil and rinse off. Sometimes I'll VERY lightly scrub with my salux to get off any excess oil.

I'm still perfecting this. My skin isn't SUPER smooth in the morning like it is when I use my Olay spinbrush (which I've eased off of to give my skin a break) but it's far less flaky, itchy, and overall calmer.

Update 12/7/12: This is just okay for my skin. This doesn't break me out like crazy, nor does it cure everything. My skin has been pretty terrible for the past few months (stress is pretty darn terrible for the body!) and have had to get on a course of oral antibiotics to bring my skin back under control.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2012 12:28:00 PM More reviews by Lowecj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I read a few negative reviews from people with my skin type but I tried anyway and I had fantastic results but realized there is TRICK TO MAKE THIS WORK. I am fanatic about my skin and therefore did LOTS of research before diving in. I have been using OCM for 5 months and my skin has a nice glow, soft, my skin tone has improved drastically. I get couple pimples monthly which is hormonal and easily treated by a dab of pure essential tea tree oil (yes, it's safe in full dilution despite what some say)
The trick to the OCM is MAKING SURE YOU PURCHASE THE RIGHT OIL FOR YOUR SKIN TYPE. Olive oil is listed as 2 under non-comedogenic oils which isnt bad but a 1 is better. The best oil to use for oily/acne prone skin is jojoba or grapeseed. I also recommend using USDA Organic oils to make sure you know what you are buying. I buy mine from Aura Cacia, I use Vitacost.com but they sell at lots of places.
I have had most success with using 2 tbsp jojoba, 1 tbsp grapeseed and 1 tbsp castor oil with 5 drops patchouli essential oil to tighten pores. Make sure you put oil in dark glass jar and store in cabinet or dark place. Never leave in sun, it will change the formula. I make a fresh batch every 4 weeks.

I tried 50/50 mix of jojoba & castor oil but didnt like that formula as much and reduced the castor oil. I have also used Argan Oil for it's anti-aging properties but noticed that did result in small breakout. The next batch I plan to try a few drops of tea tree or lemon essential oil to add antiseptic quality.I add a little something to each formula every few weeks just to change it up and see if there is better formula for my skin.
I also use a hydrosal after cleansing and a green clay mask (green clay from Queen Helene or GOW) 3 times a week. I also use the Juice Beauty Apple Peel twice a week a couple days after the green clay. I may exfoliate more than most but my skin is thick, oily with med-large pores and benefits from being extra clean.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2012 2:48:00 PM More reviews by AWilliams94

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This saved my skin. I have dry skin with patches of eczema on my cheek, it is extremely sensitive and break out prone. I use a few drops of pure cold pressed castor oil and 3 times as much extra virgin olive oil. I still need to invest in a pump bottle, as it is a pain having to unscrew bottles of oil. I do it every single night to remove my make up and cleanse my skin. If my skin is breaking out I use some clinique clarifying lotion to remove the oil, but on a normal evening I just add celestial moisturiser from Lush. The overall appearance of my skin has improved, it looks much brighter and smooth. My breakouts are much less frequent, but when I get the odd hormonal breakout, it clears up much quicker. I cannot recommend this enough!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2012 9:35:00 PM More reviews by mommygirl5

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm giving this a 5 Star because of my ultimate outcome...

I think the key is finding the right Oil or Oil Mixture for your skin.

My skin is super sensitive and I break out with EVERYTHING!!! After reading about the OCM and what to use I tried it. I had no issues when using jojoba oil alone. In fact, my skin was great! But, then I read that you should be using Castor Oil. So, I bought some...cold pressed hexane free Castor Oil. After one use, my face is breaking out. I used a 1/3 Castor Oil, 1/3 Sweet Almond and 1/3 Jojoba.

After using it at night and waking the next morning...my skin was fine. In fact, great! But it's now (9:32pm EST), as I sit here and type (angrily I might add), I can feel 3 large pimples forming. SO I AM NOT HAPPY.

When using just the jojoba oil..no zits, pimples, blackheads...nothing!!! After reading a few reveiws...it seems the Castor Oil (no matter what kind) is the culprit. So, I'm going to stop and go back to my Jojoba Oil, Rose Water Toner and Raw Honey wash (am only for the Honey) routine to clear things up.

***UPDATE*** 6/15/12
Castor Oil is the culprit. I repeat...Castor Oil is the culprit.

Once I stopped using it, my skin cleared up and did fine. But...because I'm stupid and had to make sure it was that, I thought I would give it another try. Maybe my breakout was caused by a "monthly PMS" thing? Again, I did a different mixture of 98% jojoba & 2% castor oil mix. I really liked the idea of the castor oil because its suppose to help clean. Plus, I bought a HUGE bottle of it and it seems like a waste not to use it.

I used this mixture once...just once. I made really sure I got all the oil off. I even followed up with my rose water toner to be sure I got it all off...and wham! Woke up with zits on my chin.

The best thing, for me, is to use only the Jojoba Oil.

So, it's 5 Stars for the Jojoba Oil. 0 stars for the Castor Oil...

UPDATE 2/14/13...I have totally given up on this!!! Everything was wonderful and seemed to be working nicely. I had clean, clear skin for a month...then WHAM!!! Breakout central. It literally took months for my skin to clear. I will never try this method again...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2012 5:37:00 PM More reviews by dominosugah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've been OCM'ing for 7 years now and I love it. Gets off dirt, grime, mmu, mascara... all of it. It's so trial and error though, I'll admit. took me a year to get just the right ratio of castor to almond and grapeseed oil. Plus it's a little more time consuming than using a store bought cleanser. I have to massage it in for a minute or so then leave it on while I'm in a hot shower to let my pores open up and let that oil do it's magic... and then massage again... then wipe off w/ a washcloth. and make sure you get all of it off! when i first tried it, i left a bunch of oil to collect at my jawline and it broke me out. It's tricky but once you get the hang of it, it'll be HG.