April 17, 2014 | 1834 users online

Cleansers - Eve Lom - Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2009 2:44:00 PM More reviews by JanM

I have used this product on and off for over 15 years, and it really is my HG cleanser. It is a thick balm which needs to be massaged onto dry skin, and rinsed off using hot water and a muslin cloth as a compress. this is repeated 2 further times, then the muslin cloth is used to remove the product, finishing with a final muslin compress using cold water.(All instructions provided in a product leaflet with a great facial massage to be used once a week)

It is a lengthy process and not for somebody who likes a quick wash with a water soluable cleanser, but it leaves the skin amazingly soft and clear and really does negate the need for a separate exfoliator and does remove eyemakeup if you are able to use it around the eyes.

I have very sensitive reactive skin, prone to oiliness, redness and jawline hormonal spots and this cleanser has absolutely gotten rid of these. I have never had a reaction to this product. I absolutely love it. It is expensive, but you only need a fingerful once a day (Eve does not advocate using it in the morning).

I am a bit of a sucker for balm type cleansers and have used AD skin synergy (too oily), Spezia (ineffective), Boots Time Delay Balm (just like vaseline), Vaishaly (beautiful but stings my eyes too much and I hate rinsing something off over the sink and it running down my arms), NYR Rose Balm (don't like smell of rose!), Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish (not really a balm, more like a thick cream, which I cannot rinse off).

I like this cleanser because I can really massage it in without it sinking into my skin and taking all the gunk in with it, and it rinses off easily with the cloth.

My minor gripe is that in the winter months the fact that you are doing what amounts to a facial every night to remove your makeup can be a bit full on - my skin doesn't get irritated but it just feels a bit worked over.

I also buy it for sentimental reasons - I first purchased this when my first child was born and it reminds me of taking care of myself in that rushed muddley confusion of managing a newborn and yourself!

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2009 12:08:00 PM More reviews by yenners123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser. After resisting for years because of the price, I finally gave it a try this year after my skin became really dry as a result of pregnancy. The cleanser is so simple to use, just massage it on, and put a hot cloth over my face 3 times to melt the cleanser off before wiping it off and exfoliating my skin with the cloth.

My skin is much softer, cleaner, and more moist, and also seems a lot less red and sensitive. I also love the smell of the cleanser - it's smells very natural and herbal.

I have only given it 4 stars because of the price - it's a 5 star product, but is so very dear that one star has been deducted for the high price.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2009 6:02:00 AM More reviews by AllyABC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Not for me. No better (& possibly worse) than all the other cream/oil cleansers, very expensive & smells like a hot water bottle!

I don't like the chemical content. Felt thick & sludgy applying to my face unlike Trilogy, Liz Earle or Akamuti, and did not give wow results it's famous for.

Will stick with Trilogy which has made a real difference. Whereas this is all hype & no substance. Thankfully I was given a trial sample & cloth when purchasing other items from Space NK - they will also give you a trial pack free of charge if you ask so don't buy the full size as it's a dear do!!

UPDATE 10th JUNE 2010: Fantastic alternative to this is Elemental Herbology Purify & Soothe cleansing balm also available from Space NK - it's a similar product but all natural, cheaper and very very effective.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2009 10:49:00 AM More reviews by Hellycat

I bought this product some years back and loved it, but thought it too expensive to continue with.

I was given a pot as a present recently and have to agree with some other reviewers that the formula appears to have changed. My skin did not like it this time around, becoming spotty and greasy after a few days.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2009 1:07:00 PM More reviews by bhagee

First off, I really really don't like bashing products because I'm a firm believer in that what works for one person may not necessarily work for another - each person's skin reacts differently to products. BUT, I wish I had listened to my fellow MUA reviewers on this one. I live in NYC so I went to the Space NK store and asked them for suggestions on cleansers for combo acne-prone skin since the winter was throwing my skin off. Their first and only suggestion right off the bat: Eve Lom. Figures that the store has an interest in the brand because I found out that the Eve Lom line was acquired by Spake NK. The saleswomen also said that it would get worse and not to worry, something along in order to see results, everything inside had to "come out." Maybe this is when the light bulb was supposed to go off in my head. I carefully followed the step-by-step routine, and gave it a real 1 month shot. After the first few days of it making my skin soft, I started getting painful red cyst-like pimples, which I've never had before. They hurt so much that I felt my fact was on fire. It was horrible. It just went downhill after that, and finally when I called them to see if I could at least get store credit since it was $100 and only 10% of the jar was used, the store said no. Maybe this stuff works for people with better skin than mine, but I would trust the other reviews before buying this product. I went back to my AHA cleanser and this amazing stuff by Jason's Natural (see my review on it).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/5/2009 10:14:00 PM More reviews by 00R00

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok, I tried this stuff back in 2006. Purchased from Barneys when I was living in NYC. My skin was looking great, very balanced etc (thanks to the MD Formulations Adult Anti-Acne kit) so I thought I was ready to simplify my beauty regime. This product and the philosophy behind it had me really excited. And, oh my god, it was the worst thing to happen to my skin! I'm talking cystic acne, irritation, concurrent dryness and oiliness, my skin just went crazy! I also don't think all the rubbing with the muslin cloth helped matters either, however strangely, I did have relative success with Liz Earle Hot Polish Cloth Cleanser later that year, in comparison.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2009 5:46:00 AM More reviews by formerfatty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought my first jar of this about 3 years ago, followed the routine religiously and had great results but couldn't afford to re purchase then. I bought my 2nd jar recently, followed the routine and have had nothing but aggravated skin from it. Either the formula or my skin has changed, I won't buy this again.
I think the effective parts of this cleansing routine are the massage, the friction from the cloth and the hot water so don't pay 48 for this gunk when you could do the same routine with any cheaper oil based cleanser and a flannel.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2009 6:58:00 PM More reviews by batlet2008

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was sure this was going to be a great cleanser as I have read so many reviews in magazines raving about it and when I went into spaceNK to talk to the SA about they said it would be prefect for my oily ance prone skin! I had just finish a tub of 'the organic pharmacy' carrot cleasner and though I had like it had read that eve lom was better for oliy skin so I thought why not give it a ago. Am sorry to say theres still two 2/3 of the tub left! I didnt like it much at all and like other people on here first couple of uses where great and then my skin looked dull and fell greasy after using it! Also I really don't like the tub its in unscrewing the pot is annoying and hard in the shower! If someone is looking for a good cleansing blam I would say try the carrot cleanser from theOP instead! This isn't all that good not for me anyways!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2008 5:56:00 PM More reviews by ReenBean

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

An oily cleanser which rinses off relatively clean, though I would always use a muslin cloth to ensure that I get every bit off. I only wear concealer and powder and use a separate make up remover for eye-make up, but the oiliness of the cleanser makes me think it would be pretty good at removing a full face of make-up.

However, I will not repurchase as I think it is overpriced for what it is (and am now trying to reduce the use of any petrochemicals in my skincare) and the whole muslin cloth thing is quite time-consuming.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2008 9:00:00 AM More reviews by al82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

hmmm i was on the fence about this one....
great texture and for me the medicinal smell made me believe it was good for my skin...but gosh,the effort of it all.im not sure most busy ladies can do all that facial massage malarky every evening.and is it just me or would any cleanser do a fantastic job with the hot muslin cloth routine?
its a nice product but i wont be buying it again.