October 21, 2014 | 2065 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2013 7:31:00 PM More reviews by meru

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I gave this product three tries. Each time it would irritate my skin and leave it dry, itchy, patchy and VERY red. I really wanted to like it since it cleansed the face very well. Will not buy again and don't even know what to do with the 3/4 of the product remaining.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by kalliope

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I had high hopes for this one because it's kind of like an unscented version of Eve Lom, and I attributed the redness and burning that I got from the EL to the essential oils. Unfortunately, my skin turns pink and flushed as soon as I begin to smooth this on, and when I rinse it off it's dry, tight, irritated, and flaky. Is it the emulsifying ingredients or preservatives that don't agree with me? I don't know.

Using it is pleasurable, though, and it takes off all makeup really easily. I can see why it's popular with those with tougher skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/31/2013 10:17:00 AM More reviews by kiltedkate30

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Nothing ever breaks me out but sadly this one did. It took me ages to work out what was going on but the minute I stopped using it all skin problems stopped. I guess it just didn't agree with me and was too clogging. Also, the packaging lends itself to contamination and general greasiness.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2013 9:08:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

I've been a die-hard cold cream user for some time but going on retin-a has made my skin intolerant of all the wiping that involves. I still needed something oily to remove my sunscreen every day, though, and with all the great reviews it seemed like this would fit the bill.

I used up a sample before I sprung for the full jar. The price made me cringe, but since it would be the only cleanser I was using, I didn't actually think it was too bad -- it seemed like a jar would last a long time and be more economical than the initial price would suggest. Obviously, oily cleansers don't scare me, so I liked the texture; and it removed my makeup well. I thought I was in love.

Maybe I should have used more samples, though, because about a week after I bought the jar I realized the balm was causing the dry, flaky and increasingly sensitive patches on my cheeks. :( I am honestly sad that it didn't work because I enjoyed using it. Going to return this, and I am experimenting with DIY rinsable/emulsed oils with some success.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 9:57:00 AM More reviews by Horny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I guess I am one of the few people who dont like this product! The texture is similar to vaseline, and you massage it in to dry skin to remove your makeup, add a little bit of water and then rinse. It removes all makeup and sunscreen really well, and rinses clean, hence 2 lippies. However, on my sensitive skin I found that this product made it irritated and red, and also my skin felt very tight/dry afterwards. Not for me I am afraid!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2013 12:03:00 PM More reviews by evillittlekitten

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So I've been on a makeup remover binge, having tried all sorts of products, from basic cleansers to oils to wipes to now this, a balm.

The whole idea is foreign to me, a balm as a facial cleanser, but OMG do I love this stuff. You don't need a lot of product, as it will melt and spread evenly over your face as you rub it in. Eye makeup comes off easily (including tenacious MUFE aqua liners), along with everything else: foundation, sunblock, brow gel, the works. I rinse with water afterwards.

The most surprising part (to me, anyway)? My face is clean when I rinse this stuff off. I honestly don't need to cleanse any further afterward. Even better: my face isn't left stripped and dehydrated. ZOMG WIN!

I don't normally like jar packaging (I prefer pumps -- more precise) but since the magic is the balm itself, it's a trade-off I can happily live with.

In short, this is a life-changing product for me -- HG x bajllion. =D

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Tpot

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love, love, love this!!! Cleans so well, everything comes off, even mineral sunblocks applied thickly. I like that it's a solid balm that melts into oil & it rinses off clean so easily with only a very slight after feel, which doesn't bother me as that helps to not dry out my skin. This cleansing balm is also easy to emulsify with water because it doesn't feel 'heavy', unlike dermalogica's Precleanse & Shu Umera's cleansing oils. Much, much better than Precleanse, which leaves me with an oily-ish film after rinsing with water. No allergy reaction & fragrance free. & so convenient to travel with. Highly recommend this!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Mikeswife

This is a fantastic cleanser, particularly for people with dry skin.

Price: At almost $30, this stuff is certainly not inexpensive, particularly when I'd been using Pond's cold cream for years at $5 a jar. However, I grew disenchanted with the idea of having to use a towel / washcloth to remove my cleanser and so began the hunt for something that was water soluble, but wouldn't make my already-dry skin feel tight, dry or stripped of moisture.

Packaging: I feel there is a large amount of product in the package; I've been using it daily for almost 2 months and still have more than half the jar left.

Product: I did extensive research on cleansing oils, and was thisclose to buying one after trying samples from BB and DHC. (Note: I liked both of those, but can't truly say that I LOVED either). A giant detriment to oil though, was the travel factor--which I did over Christmas--a complete and utter disaster, plastic bags notwithstanding. I love that TTDO applies to dry skin, rinses cleanly and completely with nothing more than water, removes all of my makeup (including on my eyes; I wear liner, mascara, and sometimes shadow and brow pencil) has zero smell or irritants, and leaves my skin feeling soft and ready for my nighttime routine. Once I counted all of the benefits TTDO held--travel ease included--I realized I didn't need to keep looking for an oil--I'd found my HG cleanser.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 3:50:00 AM More reviews by funnyblossom

Thank you Makeupalley reviewers! What a find! The balm feels like a lemon sorbet as you scoop it out of the jar (a pea is enough for my face.. a tiny drop more if I am wearing lots of mascara), then as you massage it in it liquifies.. and takes away all the grime and products..it feels amazing. If wiped with a tissue, it leaves no residue. I still splash water of course and work in tiny bit of liquid soap just to convince myself that my face is really clean. Awesome!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2013 7:10:00 AM More reviews by dk34

Removes all the makeup without leaving the skin tight or dry, but the packaging is a bit unsanitary since you have to dip your finger into it. Also hard to estimate how much product is needed per use, as opposed to the cleasing oil which comes with a pump.