December 22, 2014 | 923 users online

Scrubs - Sugar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 9:34:00 AM More reviews by stargazer_lily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin type: combination, acne-prone, mild rosacea, SD, can be sensitive. My scrub of choice? Caster sugar! I choose from 2 application methods. (1) sugar mixed with baby oil and applied to a dry face. Follow with cleanser. Or (2) Johnsons Sorbolene lotion mixed with the sugar and applied to a damp face. When using the scrub, apply with very gentle pressure. I repeat - use very gentle pressure! Once you have rinsed it off, you are rewarded with skin that is softer than a baby's bottom! Your serums/moisturisers/acne treatments will now work better without all those dead skin cells in the way :-) I advise scrubbing no more than 2x a week.

Caster is the best sugar if you're going to use it on your face because the grains are quite fine (it's used in baking). But other sugar like Demerara or plain raw sugar would be fine for the body. I am now addicted to scrubbing with sugar. It's cheap, effective and pure.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2009 11:21:00 PM More reviews by marchangels

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was saving up to buy a clarisonic microdermabrasion kit, but in the mean time, I saw all these great reviews on sugar scrubs. I thought what the heck, I'll try it. I expected it to break me out the next morning since I put a little EVOO in with it. But NO -nothing....just beautiful radiant smooth skin!!! Before I used this I had little bumps here and there not really acne though -but after using this they were all gone WOO-HOO!! I love my skin now and I'm not going to spend my $$ on clarisonic now! I use it every other day for my face and 2x's a week on my body -little bumpies on my back-GONE!! I also use a little baking soda (Arm and Hammer) on my face afterwards to help wash the excess oil off. Combination = Perfection! :-) Try it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 11:12:00 PM More reviews by Bambie_Blonde

I adore sugar! I love using it for a scrub on my face, lips and rough areas on my body like my knees and elbows. I honestly feel bad for each time I purchased St.Ives apricot scrub. I personally like taking some sugar, putting it in a tiny container and just adding a few drops of water- I make it into a paste. Another popular way is add EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) but I find that this leaves sort of a gross residue when using it on my face....I do like to add EVOO in my sugar if I'm using it on my body though- Anywho I find that using sugar as a face scrub really exfoliates dead skin away instantly and feels quite refreshing, & it does not leave your face feeling red or raw. I scrub my face every few days or if it feels dull. Seriously you have to try this if you want a great, cheap scrub! it will work great. I also love using this on my lips. I often get dry lips that peel and this buffs away the dead skin instantly and leaves me lips smooth for a few days. This is the best stuff!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2009 1:13:00 PM More reviews by renyun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A cheap alternative towards exfoliating your skin. Leaves skin smooth and soft. Does not leave skin red or raw-looking. A great component for a DIY mask.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2009 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Cheap and very effective. I used a little with some of my African black soap for a facial scrub and it worked up into a nice creamy exfoliator that worked out great. I massaged my face gently in circular motions until the granules were almost dissolved (less than a minute) and then rinsed off. Skin was smooth and soft with great exfoliation. No irritations. I also used some with a mixture of oils to scrub my legs while in the shower. Legs came out smooth, soft and hydrated (didn't have to use lotion). I think this would work well for anyone, just remember to massage gently in circular motions. I will definitely do this again. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2009 2:46:00 PM More reviews by julia_s

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ah, the sugar scrub: scourge of dirty knees after self-tanning, enemy of rough elbows, sworn foe of rough skin! What more to add after all these glowing reviews? Mixing with EVOO softens the scrub and moisturizes your skin - a great step while you're the shower, easy to rinse and I like that a bit of the EVOO stays behind (minus that delightful salad-dressing scent) making skin really smooth!
Now for some bubble bursting. Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but dissolving sugar in water DOES NOT produce glycolic acid or any other type of acid! Sugar is a very long change of sucrose molecules and that chain is broken when sugar is dissolved in water. This gives you a bunch of sucrose molecules which is very different from glycolic acid molecules (oh, the joys of Wikipedia research...).
You can ISOLATE (through a chemical process, NOT dissolving) glycolic acid from sugar, but good luck accomplishing that in your shower.
So yep, great MANUAL scrub, a bit rough, but makes your body super smooth and ready to soak up moisturizer, and a must for a smooth self-tan! But if you want a chemical, acid exfoliant, go for something like the Alpha-Hydrox or Paula B's products that actually contain chemical acids at the right Ph : )

32 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2009 12:17:00 PM More reviews by biancagrowl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

EVOO + Sugar

I combine the two, and add more EVOO if I don't want it to be as harsh. I rub this mixture on my dry face very gently (including lips). I then splash water on my face to dissolve away the sugar. Next I use a cleanser to remove some of the excess oil, which results in ultra moisturized and smooth skin.

I only do this once or twice a week!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2009 1:16:00 PM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well, there is not much to add to the reviews below except that pure sugar scrub is fantastic! I usually just splash my face, wipe my hands from excess water and then grab about 1 tsp. of pure white sugar and slowly scrub. Once this turns into a serum-like consistency on my face, I leave it on for 10 minutes or so, as that's when the natural glycolic acids from the sugar work on your skin to exfoliate further. After about 10 minutes I wash my face and apply a moisturizer. I have a normal/combo skin and use it on my face every second day. The key here is to remember to use an "agent" that will eventually dissolve the crystals, because that's when the glycolic acid starts to work. For this reason, I use it just with a plain water. My skin looks just absolutely fantastic since I started using this!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2009 7:14:00 AM More reviews by rigits

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used this for years but the biggest thing to remember is to use COLD water! (Add it to the sugar slowly) I sometimes even run an ice cube over my face before I exfoliate. It's refreshing and as much as I love a cheap scrub I don't want sugar water in my pores!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2009 4:28:00 PM More reviews by TheLimerest

This does a wonderful, wonderful job of exfoliation. Love that I can use it on my lips in the shower, too. I break out in places that I usually don't when I use this, however, so I'll probably go back to my old scrub. Great if you're not acne prone like me! I'll still use it on my legs and such.