November 25, 2014 | 1819 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2013 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Hrtchoco

I love coconut oil. I use it on my hair, I use it on my body, i put it on cuts, I feed it to my dog and myself. I don't put it on my face since I feel it can clog my pores. It might not, but I rather not try.
I really love it on my hair. I put it in, leave it on for a few hours, wash it off. After a few uses, even my hubby noticed a difference. My hair got healthier, shinier and smoother. Now I use it about once a week.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2013 9:19:00 PM More reviews by herbst3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm a highly clog prone person, but I decided to experiment with coconut oil, out of curiousity. I put it on one 1/2 of my nose, for 4 days. At day 4, a new cyst was forming in the crease in my nose, and roughly 80% of my pores were clogged. The other half of my nose was normal. So, yes, this really is comedogenic. I found that I reacted to this significantly faster than my average reaction to moisturizers, which usually takes @2 wks.

Edit: Now it's 2 months out. I was looking at the clogs in my nose and realized that they were 10x worse on one side. Hmmm. I wonder why...OH WAIT. That's the side I tried the Coconut oil on! SO, I am 2 months out and that side of my nose is still feeling the negative effects of only a few days of coconut oil. Wowza.

I might add, this also gave me acne on my body. Ever had clogged pores on your legs? Not good.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by mzjade22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this for a lot of beauty things, but mostly for hair. My favorite use is as an overnight hair mask. Before bed, Ill generously apply it all over my head, from root to tip. Then put a shower cap on, followed by a turbie twist. Wake up in the morning, wash it out, and voila! It literally makes my hair feel brand new. Like someone shaved my head and replaced it with brand new hair. I have wavy, somewhat coarse hair that I blow dry straight. Using coconut oil has made my hair more strong, healthy and manageable. Its so much cheaper than other expensive products that claim to do the same.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 2:30:00 PM More reviews by caseyfa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I was recently introduced to coconut oil when I started looking into the Primal Blueprint diet. Adding a bit of this to protein shakes gives them a faint yummy coconut taste, and is a healthful way to get good fats into your diet.

I then starting rubbing it into my skin and using it as a facial moisturizer. Heaven!! It has been scientifically proven to penetrate the cuticle of hair and to protect it from heat, UV rays and mechanical stresses.

My whole family uses it now after showering, and the results have been spectacular. I have particularly noticed a SIGNIFICANT softening of the keratosis pilaris on my daughter's arms after smoothing coconut oil on after baths. Nothing else I have tried has had this effect. I think because it penetrates the skin, it is able to really soften. I also put it on her hair before baths and also before she gets in the pool. She tends to get dry brittle sun and chlorine damaged hair in the summer, and this has significantly softened it. My whole family uses it as a sunscreen - in affords approximately 4 to 8 SPF and also protects against sun damage with it's anti inflammatory properties. I also put this in my hair and then braid it if I am going to be out in the sun, or swimming. I have not had an issue with using it on my face, but I notice that some people do, so proceed with caution.

And oh yes - massaged into my flaky itchy scalp before shampooing is a wonderful way to treat my cradle cap type dandruff. It may be it's antifungal properties that are helping here, as this type of dandruff is usually very responsive to antifungal shampoos. However, those shampoos are hard to come by, and don't work very well on my hair, so I prefer the coconut oil.

All this, and I HATE coconut. Those shredded coconut ice creams and candy's make my teeth crawl. But I love the results of this oil so much, that I am now liking the smell. :)

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2013 10:18:00 AM More reviews by mirrkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff. Sure it is not cheap, but a little goes a long way so you get your money's worth. I use this on my hair for a mask. You don't need a deep conditioner. I use it as a lip balm or lip scrub. I use it as a lotion which btw will make your skin ridiculous soft. I use it for shakes and recipes. I use it for my feet. My favorite product along with honey. Seriously there is so much you could do with coconut oil.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2013 5:28:00 AM More reviews by faffner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

UPDATE -- After using EVCO for years, I have come to understand more about when it works and when it doesn't. I've found that when I use most natural shampoo/conditioner pairs, the oil sinks into my hair, making it healthier and reducing frizz. When used in conjunction with other products, however, especially conditioners that seal the hair, the EVCO doesn't work at all, leaving my hair looking somehow oily and dry at the same time. Maybe the other products that reviewers are using explain some of the mixed results.

I can't believe that I haven't reviewed this yet. I have been using it in my hair for years. I have probably been putting the review off because it's been hard for me to find a shampoo/conditioner pair that I'm happy with and not allergic to, so I've been feeling for the longest time that perfect hair is right around the corner. Perfection has yet to materialize, but no matter what shampoo/conditioner I use, adding a bit of coconut oil every morning to my freshly washed or freshly rinsed hair (I shampoo every three days) seriously improves the way my hair looks. I put slightly more oil in my hair on days that I wash than on days that I rinse, but I never put on more than one to three dips of my fingertip up to the first joint into the liquid oil. I have found that different brands of EVCO seem to work quite differently -- I don't know why. I use Garden of Eden (the one pictured above), which melts into my hair and, although my hair isn't frizz-free (the reason I'm giving it four lippies and it has just missed HG status for me), it allows it to be healthy, and I am able to wear my curls down instead of pulled back into a ponytail. I have even, on occasion, gotten compliments on my hair, which never happened before I started using EVCO. When I used Spectrum brand, however, the oil just sat on the surface of my hair, leaving it un-moisturized, yet still greasy.

Overall, I am very happy to have found an EVCO that works for my hair. It allows my thick, course, yet easily weighed down hair to be healthy and curly.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2013 6:04:00 AM More reviews by icallitbliss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My hair feels amazingly soft after using a few drops of this stuff. Like..it feels better than if I used any leave in conditioner or serum. I'm so glad I don't have to spend money anymore on expensive products. It feels like I never even put dye on my head.

I also put this on my face at night. I'm still on the fence, cause I have combination skin that's sometimes oily sometimes super super dry. I've had some breakouts, but also have been using a few other new things on my face as well so it's too soon to tell...

Either way, this is awesome for your hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2013 4:46:00 AM More reviews by berrycurious

For many months I used coconut oil on every part of my body. Through the winter especially. Every single night. The result? Constantly peeling, dry lips. Flaking T-zone. Very dry skin everywhere. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with itchy dry-feeling feet.

A good way to moisturize is to wash, then apply moisturizer with real, natural ingredients like avocado oil, then apply a silicone/petrolatum ingredient over it after a minute to seal in the moisture. Petrolatum/silicones act as a barrier, helping prevent water from escaping, which is why you need to put it on skin/hair that is damp.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by lovelymallie

I have naturally really dry hair and it doesn't help that I colour it and used heat constantly for years (I don't do it anymore)

I found on youtube a video, that showed how you can use this on your hair. I went out (to 3 grocery stores) looking after this and suddenly I found a jar. It was pretty expensive, but you really don't need much of this.

You apply some to the ends of the hair, before showering! Then you shampoo and condition as normal, and it should help your hair gets more moistruized and soft.

- i love this stuff. <3

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 3:48:00 PM More reviews by TiaDGB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

Coconut oil is one of the best (and most overlooked) beauty products available. And it's SO cheap! A jar of this baby can easily replace body lotion, deep conditioner, cuticle oil, eye makeup remover, stretch-mark cream, massage oil, hair serum, chap stick, after-shave lotion, dandruff treatment, tanning oil, exfoliator (when mixed with sugar), eye cream, hand cream, baby lotion, anti-aging facial moisturizer, shaving cream, and God only knows what else! I feel like no household is complete without a jar of coconut oil in the cupboard.

My personal favorite way to use this is as an intensive hair mask. After shampooing and conditioning as usual, I apply this from roots to tips (focusing on my brittle ends). After that I put my hair into a plastic shower cap and blow dry it through the cap for about ten minutes. Then I leave it to sit for two hours. After rinsing the oil out, my hair is RIDICULOUSLY soft and manageable. I have heard many people say that leaving it in overnight works even better, so I will try that and update with my results. No commercially available deep conditioner will repair your hair like coconut oil. The reason it is so effective is because it is one of the few oils that has been proven to penetrate the hair shaft and truly soften and repair damage. Just be warned, you have to rinse this out VERY good if you don`t want greasy hair after doing a treatment. If you plan to use this as a hydrating anti-frizz serum, use the TINIEST amount and focus on ends (I`d probably avoid roots all together). A little goes a LONG WAY!

I also love using this as a night cream after washing my face. A lot of people think that oils will break you out, but this does not (and I have oily, acne-prone skin). Massage it into your face at night, and you will wake up with smooth, GLOWING skin. I don`t suggest using this under makeup, since it IS an oil after all, and it will look greasy. It needs ample time to sink in. Now, this may just be my imagination, but I feel like my hyperpigmentation and acne scarring has been fading since I've started using coconut oil on my face. This makes sense since I did read somewhere that coconut oil is great for fading age spots and other blemishes.

This is also one of the best body moisturizers going. Apply it to even the driest skin, and it will instantly soften up. If you have dry hands, thickly apply coconut oil to them, then put on a pair of gloves for a few hours. When you remove them, you will have baby soft hands. The same goes for scaly elbows and knees. Heavily apply coconut oil, then cut the end off of an old pair of socks and put them on your elbows/knees. MAGIC. This is also great for helping to prevent stretch marks for pregnant women. Probably works better than any expensive cream on the market.

Finally, this is one of the best eye makeup removers available. I gently rub it onto my eyes, and even the toughest, most waterproof eye makeup vanishes. Plus, it also acts as an eye cream!

I could literally spend all day talking about the benefits (both beauty and health-wise) of coconut oil, but it's better if you just get a jar and try it! A large jar generally costs under $10 and lasts for quite a while. You can't go wrong!

10 out of 5!

BTW- If you have a Costco memebership, check there for coconut oil. They tend to sell it in larger quantities than you can buy at a grocery store, and for cheaper. I once saw it at $16 for 54 ounces!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No