November 27, 2014 | 1542 users online

Sunscreen - Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2008 2:45:00 PM More reviews by happyme777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I got this based on the reviews here based on this product. I have been using it for a week now and am ready to review.
I have been using it everyday for a week. With it being high spf, I thought it would be white and 'holographic' looking, but it's actually not. It's very sheer and quite matte, and leaves a very soft white veil, not a overyly white cast, and I don't mind it at all (especially because my skin tone is medium-dark Asian, so this was a particular concern for me). It's soft and almost powdery and i am quite happy with the finish. I can even layer it during the day (after blotting with a single tissue) and reapply and it feels light and soft.

I find that i only wear this and a bit of concealer where needed and i feel good to go. It makes a nice base for my concealer.

After the first couple of days, i thought this was causing me to break out with one or two small red surface bumps/ spots, which would then disappear in the morning. This may have been the case, but it seems to have subsided now and I don't seem to be getting those red bumps anymore. Will update if they return!

As some have mentioned on here, I'm not sure this provides sufficient UVA protection...? I don't know if I am adequately UVA protected with this product... Also price is very expensive.

It is pleasantly scented, it doesn't linger and it doesn't bother me. Overall nice product with good benefits and I would probably purchase again

UPDATE 08/04/2004
I no longer use this as I don't feel it has adequate UVA protection. Also quite drying, not hydrating enough. Did not experience further problems with breakouts but will not purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2008 3:46:00 PM More reviews by rpolisk

WOW. stole this from my husband. I have to admit, I'm not a big Clarins fan. To me, the whole line always scream dowdy older french woman and I never am drawn to their products. My husband, however, adores the energizing oil on me and is always trolling the clarins counter, looking at all their wares while I walk over to *sexier* brands to look over their products. Anyways, he needed to use a facial sunscreen and didn't like the oily/tacky feel of many he'd tried, so the SA from Clarins sold him this one. I know I should wear sunscreen every day. But I don't. I'll buy them, try them out, and invariably end up with break-outs, extra shine, mask-like complexion, so I stop. I have many tubes of unused sunblock (including mineral powders) lying about my office, my car... Recently I started to use CE ferrulic from skinceuticals and knew it was important to really protect my skin from UV's so I grabbed the Clarins bottle and started to use it. Lo and behold! The stuff sinks in immediately, smells good (very short-lived powdery scent), disappears. No shine, no tacky, no sunscreen smell! Why didn't I get this before. I have to say I was a little consternated by the very technical review below stating that this sunblock is not very broad spectrum. At this point I feel that some protection is better than none, and I have found something I am willing to use daily and consistently. I will definitely be repurchasing. For my husband, too!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2008 10:43:00 AM More reviews by navarre

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this. My skin will only tolerate TiO2 as far as sunscreens go and I was happy to find this in a Clarins product, since they've always been good to my skin. I agree with the below reviewer that it can be drying in the winter, (so keep your thirsty skin moisturized at night and wear this over day moisturizer). I love the finish and feel of it, soft and matte. It has never broken me out or made me too shiny. It is expensive ($40 for 1 oz. in the U.S.) but when I think of all the money I've spent on stuff that doesn't work, it doesn't seem so bad. Highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2008 6:02:00 AM More reviews by farmerdaughter

very good product. i break out from all chemical sunscreens and this is nothing like those. very light and weightless feeling. not greasy at all. can be a little drying in the winter. but blocks the sun very effectively. used it for over a year and liked it but now i'm trying other physical sunscreens to see if there's one that's less dry. right now i'm using DDF organic spf 15, which is great so far. less expensive than clarins and less white tinted.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2008 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Lilly69

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Have used this product for almost 2 years (app. 4 bottles a year), since it was lunched in Europe. It has a fantastic consistency, beautiful finish and gives skin a nice luminous finish!
BUT it does not cover the whole UVA range :( (only up til 370nm) this is the consequence of the micronised TiO2 (produced at Kobo Chemicals where Clarins purchases the silicone based TiO2 Microbeads from). Actually Clarins does little than package this fluid and adds White Tea Extracts to it.
Nevertheless it should contain better UVA protection. Adding ZnO to it would keep it a 100% mineral sunscreen with broader UVA protection (end higher as well, today it has only PPD10). Good alternative would be Avobenzone (BMDM) too. /It would still be possible to market it in the US./
My final conclusion is that there are better products when it comes to giving your skin full UVA protection (All L`Oreal owned brands sunscreens marketed outside of the US containing MexorylXL+XS) or the old fashioned ZnO + TiO2 based sunscreens that leave a white residue on the skin. This white residue means that the filter is able to reflect UV rays back up to ca 700nm (visible light 520nm+ hence the visibility of the product!)

12 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2007 4:40:00 PM More reviews by sarahyamada1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Very small bottle, like that there is a little ball so when you shake it will be mixed well. I like that it dries quickly-matte and has high full range SPF. I don't like that sometimes, not sure if it is my moisterizer-philosophy Hope in a jar, but when I pat on my SPF, it will pill up on my face causing white residue...maybe I need to let the moisterizer dry longer? Anyway, it is a great, travel friendly product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2007 5:11:00 PM More reviews by ThreeLeaves

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the first suncreen that didn't break out my face and has a superhigh spf. Also it makes a great base under my makeup in the summertime, gives my foundation a nicer finish. Pricey and a very tiny bottle but you don't need much to cover your entire face and neck and I don't use this year round so I may be able to make this last for a year.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2007 3:28:00 AM More reviews by blrguy83

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Well suited for combination skin.Gives a matt finish..It has not broken me out my acne prone skin .100 % mineral sunscreen which is ideal for sensitive skin.Very Expensive but the bottle last longer since only a small amount has to be applied.I m satisfied with the protection it offers.Excellent product from Clarins.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2007 7:54:00 PM More reviews by noname103

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE this stuff. I am obsessed with taking care of my skin so for a long time I would wear sunscreen and just deal with disgusting oil and breakouts during the summer. Then I got a free sample of this and I've been using it ever since. It goes on so light that I barely even feel it. It has never made me breakout, and it does its job. Also, it blocks both UVA and UVB.

The price is kind of high for a small bottle but it really lasts a long time. This is the best sunscreen I've come across.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2007 3:14:00 AM More reviews by reismione

Been using this for a while. 50% done with the bottle. It's watery and easy to spread on the skin. So far, it has not broken my skin out. However, I did notice that there were some sediments that were not dissolved when I used the product today. I wonder if it has got to do with the place I bought this product. (non-counter shop) :-S