July 26, 2014 | 1858 users online

Crème - Chantecaille - Future Skin

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2009 1:03:00 PM More reviews by Winthrop44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have rosacea with very sensitive skin and can't tolerate many commonly used ingredients including alcohol, bismuth, chemical sunscreens, zea mays corn starch, propylene glycol, pentylene glycol, castor oil, jojoba oil (yes, really!), mineral oil, petrolatum, essential oils, sandalwood, linalool and lots of other oils and fragrances. All of these ingredients sting my skin, light up my cheeks bright red, itch like crazy and/or break me out. I am also pale. These things make finding foundations difficult at best.

Future Skin does not contain chemical sunscreen or anything else that has irritated my skin in the past. Please see mskilicious's review for a great breakdown of shades, one page back from my review (although note that Porcelain, the lightest neutral shade, was released later on). I apply this with my fingers, only where needed, over my usual moisturizer (MD Forte Replenish Hydrating Cream) and MAC Prep + Prime Skin. Like Real Skin SPF30, this foundation is incredibly blendable and truly gives a 'your skin but better' look. Future Skin is a bit more dewy looking than Real Skin on me. Because it glides over my skin more easily, and a jar of this lasts alot longer than a Real Skin compact (and is thus really not that expensive over the long run), I have a preference for Future Skin. I'm a light NC15, matching NC15 only in MAC's Studio Sculpt foundation, which runs lighter and more neutral than their other NC15 foundations. In Future Skin Alabaster is a bit too dark for me (it's closer to NC20 than NC15) and Porcelain is slightly light (close to NC10); I'm currently wearing Porcelain and I'm very happy with it. Because the formula is so blendable yet so pigment-rich I can use this just where I need it and blend it out to where it looks gorgeous - it just gives my skin a certain diffused/airbrushed look that no other foundation does. The only negative is the limited availability - currently online at NM, Saks and Chante's own web site. My closest Saks (1.5 hours away) does not carry Chante. I've heard that Nordstrom may carry Chantecaille in the future but have no idea how true this is. I can only hope! I highly recommend that rosaceans and other sensitive skin types give both Chantecaille Future Skin and Real Skin SPF30 a try! MAC NC10-15/C1/Alima N1 for ref.

Note: The 2014 reformulation of Future Skin, designed to remove the parabens, includes alcohol and a high amount of pentylene glycol, so I can no longer use it. Bummer. I am removing 1 star. While the number of people who have issues with PG is probably low, I don't feel that alcohol is good for anyone's skin. Here are new vs old ingredient lists:

New:
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Titanium Dioxide, Cetyl Peg, Pentylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Peg-400, Sodium Chloride, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Aluminum Hydroxide, Mica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Stearic Acid, Alcohol, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Camellia Sinesis Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Natto Gum, Talc, Iron Oxides

Old:
Water, Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Cetyl Dimethicone copolyol Dimethicone, PEG-350, Sodium Chloride, Silica Dimethyl Sillyate, Glycerin, Rosmarinus Officialis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Laminari Saccharina Extract, Natto Gum, Camellia Senesis Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May contain: Methicone, Stearic Acid, Aluminum Hydroxyde, Silica, Iron Oxides, Talc, Titanium Dioxide, Mica.

Click continued to see a comparison pic with some other products:

LM Silk Creme Soft Ivory - Chantecaille Future Skin Alabaster - Chantecaille Future Skin Porcelain - MAC Studio Moisture Tint Light

continued >>

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2009 5:38:00 PM More reviews by chickety

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After trying many foundations, both high-end and low-end, I have settled on Chantecaille Future Skin as my Holy Grail foundation. I still like to try other foundations because that's just how I am. But Future Skin is the best for me.
Why? Well, somehow this foundation actually makes my skin look like it has a better texture. It makes my skin appear to be fresher, younger, creamier. The coverage is medium. The creamy gel consistency feels very good going on. The finish is natural, but polished. Maybe a bit dewy. It doesn't clog my pores or break me out, even if I have a late night and fall asleep without washing it off. That's more than I can say for some of my other favorite foundations, like Armani Luminous Silk Foundation and Chanel Teint Innocence Creme Compact (super clogged pores with that one).
Its expensive, but I'm willing to pay the price as its the best foundation I've ever used.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2008 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Fashionopolist

I have recently been using this product in Vanilla. I love the texture and it is the perfect color for my skin.

It's a great foundation for young skin that tends to be more oily than dry. My skin is pretty normal, but I find that heavy cream foundations make me look like grease-city after a few hours. This product stays put and provides nice coverage.

Now about the ridic price. This foundation is overpriced. There's no question about it. It's a good product, and I would happily shell out $30 for it. But twice that? The packaging isn't that phenom. It's not a huge jar either. I'm not entirely sure what it is I'm paying for.

But, on a positive note, if you buy it at Neimans, the ladies tend to be pretty generous with samples.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2008 2:34:00 PM More reviews by dodobat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation! No words can describe how nice the texture is. Its like i am wearing nothing at all. The texture is very light, cooling and gel-like. I got this in alabaster and it suited my fair pinky skintone although I would have prefered it to be a little bit more pinky. Ivory was nasty and left my face looking orange! Bleh.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/15/2008 9:08:00 PM More reviews by jshow339

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is nothing special. It goes on as a creamy gel type. The coverage is okay and buildable. It does tend to disappear and fade as the day goes on. I don't mind paying for something that's worth it, but this just isn't worth it. :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2008 12:21:00 AM More reviews by frenchconnection

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I stopped to pick up another bottle of Armani Luminous Silk, but stopped by the Chantecaille counter on the way. I wore Future Skin many years ago and thought I'd stop and have another look. This gel foundation feels nice on the skin. It is not heavy and does not leave a shiny finish. I remember loving the way it looked on my skin, but it simply does not compare to LSF. I tried both foundations on, and the FS looks absolutely flat on my skin.

It never irriatated my skin, and I was also able to wear FS in the summer when my combination skin goes into oil production overload!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2008 6:20:00 PM More reviews by Cherryyu

Expensive. But it is very very very good product. You will have what you paid for especially for oil/Combin skin types. It lasts for 10 hours. Do not need to put too much. just a little will do.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2008 9:34:00 PM More reviews by wmoyal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Almost perfect...I like the texture, the effect on my complexion. Some pores might be emphasized on close examination but generally my skin looks wonderful with this makeup, and I don't have wonderful skin...more like acne/dry from acne meds. Absolutely no breakouts since using this foundation over the last month. Will likely buy again, there is room for improvement, but I imagine it will be a long time before I find a better fit of coverage and natural glow.
*Update: decided not to repurchase,I used up a lot in 6 weeks. Does not last,tends to recede. I became shiney/oily look. I find Cle de Peau less dewy but longer wearing, retains a matte finish all day. Still think 3.7-4 stars is appropriate ranking, given initial look, ingredients, dewy finish, tolerability for sensitive skin.
*8 month update: yes, you use up a lot fast. But I am still dipping into my leftovers of this, especially perfect in the winter when my cle de peau is feeling a bit dry. This foundation makes my skin feel perfect! Upping it to 5 stars, it's proven the test of time!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2008 9:34:00 PM More reviews by NaeillaNoir

Hands down the best foundation I've ever used. I first got this at 17, in Shea. it goes on creamy and gives a creamy complexion. I also use it as a concealer, plus the color was right on for me. in this case for me, shelling out the cash for expensive makeup I did get my money's worth.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2008 11:10:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've always been curious about this foundation. The price is what puts me off. I always thought of this brand as a bit snobbish. You know. You pay for the name more than for quality. Sort of like a status symbol more than a truly good product. Anyway, I was in Sun Valley this weekend and I got a sample from the shop that sells it. The color is totally wrong. The SA gave me the darkest color (Nude). I must say I was surprised as I am light-medium with yellow undertones. However, the light in the shop was ghastly and somehow the Nude looked good. When I tried it at home, I hated it. Oompa Loompa doesn't even begin to describe it. That's the color. The consistency is a bit better. It does not feel (or look) like someone spread butter on my face, and the coverage is decent though not exactly brilliant. I don't know. Maybe if I get a better color, I'll like it better. But I still balk at the price. :( If some of you lovely ladies know a place where I can get this for a more civilized price, I would appreciate the details.