October 23, 2014 | 1398 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2008 4:16:00 AM More reviews by blahblahblalskdjf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the only sunscreen I will wear. I am very prone to acne and this stuff has never made me break out, it also goes on pretty matte without the usual grease that most sunscreens over SPF 15 seem to have and it's waterproof so I can sweat in it and not worry about having to immediately reapply. It's also got zinc oxide which I've read is one of the best ingredients (the other being titanium oxide) for sun protection, it seems to be working because I've never gotten so much as a single freckle when I'm wearing this stuff.

I'll be honest though, I don't really like using this product very much. But I hate wearing sunscreen in general so it's really something to be expected. It does give a somewhat unpleasant "dryish" and "grainy" texture to the skin upon application (almost chalky without the whiteness), but I feel like it's something that I just have to put up with for the sun protection (very worth it). I've also heard from other people that it can give you a slight whitecast, though it's worth noting that I've never experienced this granted I'm incredibly pale. And another flaw is ironically one of the things I find so great about it: this stuff really IS waterproof. Most cleansers I've tried will not be enough to remove this sunscreen. You will need a makeup remover that can remove waterproof substances to get this stuff off of your skin.

And yeah, it's also somewhat expensive and the top is kind of flimsy (I freaked out once because I found it open in my bag and was terrified that I'd just wasted like 40 bucks of sunscreen. It was just open but didn't spill thank goodness). But overall, the best sunscreen I've ever tried and the one my skin seems to tolerate/get along with the best.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/5/2008 11:34:00 PM More reviews by saera

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

As a college student...

It's expensive. Definitely not cheap.
    The packaging is a little sketchy. The top lid is very flimsy and I can see it falling off in my bag and creating a sea of white sunscreen in my purse. =(

Anyways. I do not use makeup on a regular basis, so most of the time I apply this straight onto my face with no makeup or anything underneath. (I am pressed for both time and money - poor college student).

Because I do not use makeup it is very difficult to put on and does not absorb into my skin very well. When I moisturize like crazy beforehand (cetaphil) - it will absorb smoothly. Also, be wary about what you apply before this, because I've had them clump together before and look weird (such as acne cream - BAD IDEA). So it usually leaves my skin extremely dry, which can be solved if I apply makeup or moisturizer beforehand (but too lazy).

But my biggest complaint is that it makes my hands feel really weird! It's dry and funky feeling. I wish sunscreens didn't do that. Also, sometimes it takes a little rubbing for the white sunscreen color to get out of my face.

I like this sutff better than the neutrogena anti-aging stuff, since that was horrible.

I will buy this again only b/c I don't have anything else that is semi-within my budget that will work well.

I am very sensitive to the sun and my skin is extremely extremely sensitive but I do not have ANY problems with this (yay!)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2008 2:06:00 AM More reviews by KarissaKai

I thought this sunscreen was too good to be true at first and since I was vacationing in Florida I was desperate for something without oxybenzone and something that would NOT break me out. I did extensive research and didn't mind paying the expensive price for this sunscreen. I tried it on in Sephora before I purchased, and I couldn't believe how well it absorbed and did not make me look oily. It had a slightly odd texture but it couldn't be perfect. I used it for a couple weeks and it didn't break me out which was a huge plus. After a while my face did still get oily, but I think it was just my skin in humid weather, not the sunscreen. However, the worst part and the one reason I unfortunately will have to not buy this again is because after days of using it my skin got SO DRY. I had to moisturize for days for my skin to go back to normal, it was terrible. Not only did my face dry up, but my legs and arms. I'd put lotions and cocoa butter all over my legs and the dryness would come back until finally I didn't use the sunscreen and had to continuously moisturize for days and the dryness went away. So I didn't break out which I am still thankful for, but I can't use this if it's going to dry my skin like that.

Oh well.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2008 8:15:00 PM More reviews by pinksugaraddict

i love this sunscreen! it absorbs quickly without the greasy feeling & i find the scent much better than the coconut-ish sunscreen scents, although it does not last but that doesn't bother me! the downside for this is that this quite expensive for sunscreen (minus 1 lippie) so i might have to think about repurchasing...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2008 1:25:00 AM More reviews by seefaithrun

I love this sunscreen. My skin does not react adversely to this lotion at all. I use this under my makeup and in place of my moisturizer for the day since my skin gets oily. Its perfect. It doesn't leave a haze and has no scent. Its so easy to apply, and I don't just use it on my face. Of course we need to protect all exposed bits of skin. ;-)

I will buy this again because it doesn't act like typical sunscreen...i.e. stinks, leaves a haze, always blending it in, sticky... However, $35 is steep, but unless I can find a cheaper alternative, I'm sticking to this. And yeah, I've tried Neutrogena's sunblock, but its not up to par with this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by mika118

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is officially the first time I've felt compelled to write a review on a product (I've got an addictive personality, so it won't be the last time!). I've tried SPF face lotions galore--Garnier SPF 28 Skin Renew and Neutrogena Dry Touch were my most recent "misses"--and have to say that this is winning me over.

My eyes don't sting and water like crazy. I'm not noticing any whitish cast on my C3/NC30 face. There's no pillage when I put the rest of my makeup on top of this. I expected it to be gooey or thick at SPF55, but it's sort of a milky consistency and still I don't have to layer any moisturizer underneath. The scent is a perfumey floral that fades pretty fast and def smells better than that chemical scent in most sunscreens.

The most exciting news to report is that this makes super oily skin semi-matte! And my skin stays this way all day long, which I've never experienced with any skin care product. I do notice a bit more tackyness by the end of the day, but no oil spills. The final test will be whether I get breakouts...it's still too soon to tell.

Bottle says its for face and body use, but at $37 (USD) for 3.3 oz, I'll be saving this just for my face, which needs the surprise oil controlling feature this lotion provides.

Design of the bottle is cute and sorta cartooney...kinda endearing and Japanese pop-culture inspired. I'm a sucker for cute, but since this stuff actually does what I hoped, I'm doubly happily and feeling devoted.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2008 2:28:00 AM More reviews by euko

the BEST.It goes on really smoothly on your face (or anywhere else) and absorbs quickly. and it doesn't make my skin OILY AT ALL! I use it before I put on my makeup. Plus, you only need to use a little bit at a time (less than the size of a penny).after I finished using the entire bottle, I started using another sunscreen I received as a gift, but I just had to go back to this one. It's that great! It's more expensive than most sunscreens out there, but it's so worth the money.
    it COVERS, SMELLS NICE, FEELS NICE & SOFT, LASTS LONG, WATERPROOF. Perfect.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2008 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Steph0891

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

my absolute HG sunscreen. it's a great base to my makeup..helps my concealer go on smoothly. i love how it's stable too. yes it's quite expensive but it lasts for a long time since a little goes a long way..

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2008 8:43:00 PM More reviews by neoroxy

Amazing.
    -Water-light.
    -Doesn't sting.
    -Doesn't clog pores.
    - Stays on all day. Doesn't sweat or slick off.
    - Dries fast.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2008 9:34:00 PM More reviews by LuthienTinuviel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is so looooong overdue that I'm almost ashamed. Anyway, many sincere thanks to the countless MUA ladies who so highly recommended this product. I never thought I'd find a HG primer AND s/s in one product but this is exactly what I've found in this strange lop-sided little blue and gold bottle. Been using almost a year now, every single day, and am thrilled with the both the great sun protection and incredible mattifying properties. I've struggled with oily skin ever since I hit around 38 or so and have never used anything nearly so effective at keeping oiliness at bay. I used to easily go through two sometimes even three C&C blotting sheets everyday and now, many days I don't even need to blot...it's really that effective! Also, my skintone is very even without any unwanted pigmentation, freckling or spotting (I'm very fair) even though I spend a 1-2 hours outdoors almost every day during warm weather. As noted in many other reviews and comments, it is important to use a cleansing oil to fully remove this highly resistant product. I used to use Shu Uemura but switched to Lumene cleansing oil about six-seven months ago and have been very pleased with the results. Definitely worth the $37 per bottle IMO. One bottle seems to last me about 3-4 months.