Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

3.5

water (aqua), glyceryl polymethacrylate, pentylene glycol, propylene glycol, glycerin, butylene glycol, hydrolyzed soy protein, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, palmitoyl pentapeptide-3, glutathione, potassium ascorbyl tocopheryl phosphate, larrea divaricata (chaparral) extract, sodium hyaluronate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, allantoin, carbomer, lecithin, polysorbate 20, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, methylbromo glutaronitrile, fragrance, tetrasodium edta.

on 3/6/2007 8:49:00 PM

HECK YES I WOULD BUY THIS AGAIN! But the name should be pore shrinker. It really has shrunk my pores and made my skin all glowy. Its worth the money and works well with all the other face products I have purchased from Philosphy.

on 2/3/2007 12:51:00 AM

This product along with the rest of the "Makeup Optional" products made me break out. I used each one separately to determine if that was the case, and it was true. I have oily/sensitive skin. The serum did soak into my skin, but did nothing to improve the quality of it. All it did was leave me with white bumps. As much as I do not like the "Makeup Optional" skincare, I do like the On a clear day serum- best out there.

on 1/1/2007 6:48:00 PM

I can't really comment on the firming/lifting/wrinkle helping ability of this serum, like other reviewers I got it for its antioxidant benefit and because I wanted a peptide serum to help heal the occasional acne flare-up. Overall this is doing a great job, I've seen great results in 3-4 days. My acne spots are significantly less red and healing up much faster than they ever have before, my skin looks more even, and my cheeks, forehead, and chin aren't red. I don't think you can call this bad smelling, the tester in Sephora didn't really smell like anything and my bottle kind of smells like rosemary and pine. I highly recommend giving this a try, especially in conjuncture with an at-home microderm kit like the Olay Regenerist, or a cream exfoliant like Dermalogica or Kate Somerville.
Update: I stopped using is a few years ago when my skin turned a bit more mature (less acne and inflammation, more dryness), but my skin has been reed, painful, and ultra active lately thanks to craziness at work and my looming wedding. I remembered this and picked up a bottle; almost instant relief, combined with my regimen of sweet almond oil as a cleanser and moisturizer.

on 12/30/2006 1:49:00 AM

I got this as part of the Makeup Optional kit. Long story short, it made me break out, and I don't often break out from skincare products (of course, I check labels very carefully for potentially problematic ingredients). But, come on. I've put plain cocoa butter right on the drier areas of my face, and it migrated around to the oilier areas of my face, and I still didn't break out. But Hope in a Jar broke me out. And the When Hope is Not Enough serum broke me out. And the lip/eye cream gave me milia when I used it as an eye cream, and wasn't nearly hydrating enough as a lip treatment. The peel was ok, didn't cause problems but didn't do anything great either. I didn't even try the cleanser as it has so many essential oils in it, I wasn't willing to chance it. I tried both the serum and the cream separately, and they both broke me out. I don't return stuff that often to Sephora, but this was $68 & tax that I definitely insisted on getting back. I doubt I'll ever try any Philosophy skin products again.

on 12/22/2006 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I will probably re-purchase this product for 2 reasons: 1- The price. This is a very good price for a serum; and 2- The viscosity. It is watery and sinks into my skin perfectly and immediately. I have yet to find a serum that sinks in this well. I have had zero problems with putting makeup or moisturizer on top of this. I want to use a serum for the antioxidant benefits, but with every other serum I've tried my face ends up an oily or sticky mess once I add sunscreen, or moisturizer, or makeup on top of it. This one does not have that problem. I use Aveda tinted moisturizer with spf on top of this most every day and have not had any extra oil on my face. Another issue with serums is that they usually seem to make my makeup last less time- again, this one passes the test. It seems to have no effect on my makeup at all. This serum would be drying without putting some type of moisture over it- so, don't try it alone. Also, I'm not sure it's making a lot of difference in my skin. My skin looks great but that could be due to any number of products I use. It's hard to say. Regardless, I think it has to be doing something because the ingredients are good and it's the only one so far that hasn't ruined my makeup. For this price this is worth a try.

on 12/19/2006 6:19:00 PM

My mother gave me this product that she received in a kit. I was expecting it to help the small lines under my eyes. I just finished 1 bottle and don't really see that much improvement. I was using it twice a day. I'm not sure if I will purchase this in the future.

on 11/4/2006 10:59:00 AM

Yes, the smell is pretty raunchy. But it dissipates quickly, so it's not really a factor. I really like this stuff. My skin feels firmer when I use it--I'm not sure it LOOKS any firmer, but I really believe that a large part of beauty lies in attitude, so this is a big plus for me. I've found that it works even better with the Vitamin C powder mixed in.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm somewhat undecided about this serum. I usually use the Cellex-C serum and then top it off with Cellex C Hydra serum and then Juice Beauty Antioxidant serum. While I was using this for a couple of days, it felt as though this was making my skin worse. I didn't feel protected from the environment or sun. I won't be purchasing this again as there are a lot better antioxidants out there for this price range.

on 8/25/2006 6:42:00 PM

I love how light and absorbent this serum is. I usually mix this stuff with the hope and a prayer a.m. powder in the mornings before I apply my laura mercier tinted moisturizer and the results are natural looking, smooth, healthy skin. The serum has a very thin syrupy texture but mixed with the a.m. powder, it turns to a watery liquid (probably due to chemical reaction with acids in powder). Needless to say, it's hard to apply a watery film to your face, but the results are worth it. Please try this with the a.m powder! The vit. C in the powder improves the effectiveness of your sunscreen while neutralizing free radical damage from the sun.

on 7/9/2006 10:19:00 PM

I'm currently using (and loving) the following philosophy products: purity made simple, when hope is not enough serum, hope in a jar (original formula), hope in a tube (eye and lip cream), and the 2-piece microdelivery peel. I don't think it's easy to review individual product results so I'll review as a whole with comments about the seperate products.

I have "normal" skin for the most part. I'm occasionally oily in the T-zone. I'm not seeing any signs of aging at 33. I'm not sensitive and rarely have any reactions to skincare. My biggest complaint is slightly rough skin texture. I do get a hormonal zit almost every month, but beyond that I have pretty okay skin. Since beginning using the philosophy "makeup optional" products, my skin texture has improved dramatically. My skin is soft and smooth. My pores are less visible and I think I have a bit more of an overall glow.

purity made simple: I think this is the best cleanser I've ever tried. I absolutely love the natural, herbal scent. It melts off all makeup, even mascara, and it doesn't sting my eyes! It doesn't strip or overdry my skin. I just feel clean and soft after washing. Love it! *****

when hope is not enough serum: Stinks! If you can get beyond the awful scent, this serum has a light, non-sticky texture that absorbs quickly. It has anti-oxidants and even a hair growth inhibitor. I'm not sure if my facial hair growth has slowed at all, but I'll keep using for the other benefits. **** UPDATE: Only my first bottle of this smelled bad. My next two purchases were "fresh herbal" scented.

hope in a jar: I love the scent of lavender. If you hate lavender, you may not like this cream. This has a really nice, light, almost whipped texture. It seems to be slightly pearly also which gives a healthy looking finish to skin as applied. It is not a heavy moisturizer. I'm crediting this for smoothing my skin texture. I don't know if this has a proper pH or % of AHA for exfoliation, but I'm happy with the results I'm seeing. *****

hope in a tube: I don't have eye lines or wrinkles so I can't comment of how this affects those issues. It seems to keep my eye area nicely moisturized and I'll continue to use it. ****

microdelivery peel: It's a nice citrus scrub that heats when an activating gel is applied. My skin really looks fresh, glow-y and is super soft after doing this peel. Love it! *****

Popular Face Skincare Products