December 21, 2014 | 854 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Gardenia

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2004 8:35:00 PM More reviews by motherchick

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh the chemistry! I can't wear this because the drydown smells like hairspray on me (Rave). I wish it didn't because it begins as the loveliest, most beautiful floral on me...that's why the 4 lippies. I heard there are no official gardenia notes in this. As far as I'm concerned, this is good. I just smell pretty white flowers and it's fresh and light. If it dried down nicely, this could even be The One. Too bad. EDIT: Okay, I take it back. Well, not the good stuff. Just the "too bad" and the "drydown smelling like hairspray" stuff. Maybe it doesn't smell like hairspray after all. I think I need some of this, and I'm off to get some before it's all gone (sob)!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2004 12:55:00 AM More reviews by tortien

The closest to Gardenia flowers I have ever come across.

Not too over powering though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2004 4:48:00 AM More reviews by Araindrop5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I spray this on and instantly feel as if I am one who was born with an innate sense of style. Its power lies in it's ability to make me feel more self assured than I really am at the moment. Who else but Chanel could craft such a classic and feminine fragrance that holds the power to make a woman feel tres chic! Pure genius.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2004 7:44:00 PM More reviews by ilikesims2000

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

bought an edt version 35 ml for $55 CAD. this perfume is light and airy. without a doubt, it has a fresh gardenia scent. one of the best gardenia perfume in the market. arguably 100% better than marc jacobs and annick goutal gardenia passion. this perfume is as close as you can get to a real gardenia scent. one of the major drawback, however, of this perfume is the lasting power.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2004 12:20:00 PM More reviews by chanel_junkie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After a long and hard search, I finally found this perfume. It is truly a beautiful fragrance. It's a sweet, delicate floral that has terrific staying power (at least on me - although, like most Chanel perfumes, it does dry my skin out. Small price to pay to smell good!). It is perfect for day, and would be lovely on any woman of any age. And even though it is probably very little like the original scent, I highly recommend it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2004 10:58:00 AM More reviews by beth001

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I actually went to Kaufmann's to purchase a bottle of Chanel Allure. I had received a trial vial of Allure from a previous Chanel cosmetics purchase and thought it smelled lovely. At the Chanel counter, the salesgirl had me compare Allure to Chance, thinking that the Allure was a little too soft and powdery for me and that the citrusy, more modern Chance might suit me better. While I was busy testing and sniffing and comparing the two, I noticed the Gardenia display. One spritz of that and my mind was made up, I was buying Gardenia! I guess I had some prior negative association with gardenia, so I really was quite surprised that I liked it so much. The scent is very light, white-ly floral, clean, and just sweet enough without being cloying or artificial.

That was last night and I opened the package and sprayed on the Gardenia this morning after my shower. Okay, its not yet noon, but I can still smell it. Will have to let you know if it stays all day, but I am very pleased to report it has not disappeared, as I feared when I came home and read some of the other reviews. BTW, my 13-yo son happened to be with me last night at the Chanel counter and commented that he liked "the vanilla smell."

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2004 10:04:00 PM More reviews by cjenn

I bought a small trial spray from Ebay and absolutely LOVE THIS. Only reason I didn't award it five lippies, is, yes they're right, like the other reviewers said, it only lasts about ten minutes for me! Some said 15-20 mins. a shame, because this is one of the best if not the best gardenia smelling perfume. My other faves are Jovan's Island Gardenia, and Annick Goutal's Gardenia Passion and Coty's Jungle Gardenia. Just wish this one lasted longer, but it is a very lovely, 1920's esque, almost reminiscent of a Fitzgerald novel about the hoi polloi at some beautiful resort. Small undernotes of vanilla add to the beauty and timelessness of this perfume. Too bad it is so fleeting!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2004 12:10:00 AM More reviews by Carys

Absolutely lovely, light, feminine fragrance. Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue didn't pan out for me, so I was delighted to smell Chanel's Gardenia. Eureka!, I thought to myself, I've found my alternative to Light Blue! Sadly, the staying power of this scent is nonexistant. The other reviewers aren't kidding when they give the 15 minute estimate. You really do have to press your nose against your skin and try hard to smell the lingering remnants of this scent. I'm glad I managed to get a sample of Gardenia before committing. It's a lovely scent that had my name written all over it, but in the end I decided I had better things to spend my hard earned money on. No perfume, regardless of how lovely it smells, is worth the price of $55 US for fragrance that struggles to make it to the half-hour point.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2004 4:53:00 PM More reviews by saranja

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this fresh floral. The scent is worth 5 lippies but I took one off because this fragrance is fleeting on my skin. I am going to try the parfum because the EDP sadly only lasts about 15 minutes in any easily discernible strength. After that I have to press my nose to my wrist to inhale the tiniest waft of the heady flowers I loved so much upon first spritz.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2004 11:19:00 PM More reviews by amyaub

I love the scent of Gardenias. While I found this to be a lovely Gardenia scent, it was missing something. I compared this to my Marc Jacobs and found I liked that better and it was a bit cheaper and a little easier to find. It also lasts longer on me than this did. I think I'll pass on this and stick with the MJ.