Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit [DISCONTINUED]

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

on 3/1/2012 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This stuff is amazing. No wonder it's a classic! Soft, beautiful, salon-worthy highlights - and simple enough for even me to get it right. I usually go to the salon for everything but this stuff is totally failsafe for home highlights.

on 3/1/2012 8:35:00 PM

Donít go to the salon and spend all your money on highlights (unless you donít have the patience to do it yourself). The Revlon Frost and Glow kit works so well! I have gotten so many compliments and people said that it looked professionally done. The instructions are straightforward, however it is time consuming and extremely frustrating if you have no one to help you (to get the unreachable hair) I found that 35 minutes wasnít long enough to leave the bleach in for, so I went 55 minutes. (the instructions says not to exceed 60)

on 2/28/2012 3:11:00 PM

I bought Frost & Glow to add an ombre to my hair. Originally, I was going to use the cap but then I realized that my kit was missing the hook tool and the mixing wand. So I decided to just continue lightening my hair without the cap. I bought the caramel highlights for medium to dark brown hair. My hair has already been coloured a light brown so I just wanted to lighten the ends to a caramel blonde.

I did a two-step process: coloured the bottom half, left on for about 15 minutes, then rinsed, dryed, and then repeated again but emphasizing more on the ends by rubbing the colour in.

It turned out amazing! I am really happy with the results. I've never bleached my hair myself before but I found that this formula wasn't very abrasive or drying and it didn't smell that bad. Also, my hair looks highlighted even though I didn't use the cap, and the colour is so even!

I definitely will buy again!

on 2/20/2012 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I could write another long rave review, but pictures are worth a thousand words... so... :)

Full Size Image

I used this kit twice; the first time using the cap method (and pulling out hair from every marked circle) and leaving in the mixture for a little over 20 minutes, and the second time using the foil method for bolder, lighter highlights (left it in much longer, like an hour). This is the kit for "honey" highlights.

on 1/31/2012 3:00:00 PM

* if you cannot foil, cap method > comb-on/ brush-on free-hand for those fine, evenly-spaced "salon-like" highlights.
* great way to achieve overall brightening effect.

__application:
* cap = oh gawd. time-consuming! i was determined to do this on my own but had to begrudgingly enlist help for the back (and, heck, the top of my head that i couldn't see too.) i'm sure i could've done it on my own but it would've taken twice as long and come out possibly messier.
* pre-poked holes in cap to facilitate prep. plastic hook is workable! i did every hole on the cap except for ones not physically possible (past my hairline or where my ears were) and achieved an "overall brightened" effect.
* bleach formula was easy to apply and a good consistency (not too drippy but not too solid either).

__results:
* concept behind cap method can produce more reliable at-home results.
* it's bleach so the damage will be done :(. i was hoping this would be a gentler formula (the developer has "20 volume" [honey version] indicated on it - stamped along with the batch #) but i can definitely feel that the parts the bleach was on are significantly drier. it could also be because the conditioner was not as "good" as some other brands at masking/ hiding the damage (haha).
* used "honey" version to take my medium brown (naturally black) hair to a lighter brown with a few blondish pieces. left on for 25 minutes (hair has been processed before and i wanted to minimize damage). did every hole in cap that was physically possible and achieved all-over brightening. added dimension to my former one flat color.
* lightening seems to be less brassy than some other lighteners i have used -- even though i only left it on for 25 minutes (max, don't remember actual time).
* would probably buy again but would probably also take my chance with another brand to see if it's any better (less damaging formula?).

on 1/16/2012 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

My hair is graying so it a little bit of black, brown and gray. When I used this product I was very happy with it. It looks natural.

on 1/14/2012 9:33:00 PM

I love this product. I've used it several times, each time with success. It is very inexpensive (bought it at Wal Mart for $6.98). The new platinum shade, very nice. Use the hair strand hook with care -- the tip can break off if you use too much force pushing it through the holes in the cap -- so save them after your highlighting session for next time, in case yours should break. I can't see how you can wrong with this kit -- even a novice should be happy. Results pretty close to professional for a fraction of the price. I hope Revlon never, ever discontinues this product.

on 12/30/2011 4:03:00 AM

I tried this out recently and I was definitely so scared to do it- but it was wroth it. This is a great product. The process takes a really long time and requires a lot of time and effort to get your hair through the cap so in order to do this, you need a lot of patience. After adding the die to my hair, I let it sit for 60 minutes because I was scared of it turning orange. After I rinsed out the die and took of the cap, my hair did appear to have an orangey tint, but after i washed and dried my hair, it turned out fine. I love the results. It is a fast way to lighten dark hair. The highlights look really natural. Of course my hair is drier than it was before due to the bleach, but it is not over died. Just be careful to pull your hair tight so the die gets to the roots. This product is definitely worth the try if you want to lighten your dark hair. Although I was skeptical, it turned out to be an amazing product and I do plan on doing it again in the future.

on 12/16/2011 1:59:00 AM

This is an excellent home highlighting kit. I have dark blonde hair with heavy light blonde highlights that have been done at a salon for years. I purchased the honey highlights for medium to dark brown hair. I was hesitant to try highlighting my own hair again but I thought it was worth a try especially since I am trying to save money.

The color turned out great. I pulled strands through every hole and left the color on for 45 minutes. I over saturated about 4 strands and noticed they were almost white when I finally rinsed. While combing my hair I noticed there were some fuzzies that had broken off but nothing significant. I probably could have achieved a good color had I rinsed after 35-40 minutes.

I definitely recommend pre-punching the holes. I missed some and think I made divets in my scalp when I was able to finally poke through. I would also would recommend having someone pull the hair through the holes in the back. It was really tricky doing it by myself with a mirror and took a really long time.

Many of the reviews I read about using a home highlighting kit recommended buying a metal hook, but the hook included with this kit worked fine. It did not pull a lot of hair through the hole so I had to go go back in and get more strands of hair. Other than that I think it worked well.

I will definitely buy this product again. I may go to the salon every once in a while to even up the highlights but intend to use this product from now on - especially knowing I am saving so much money and getting pretty much the same results.

on 12/9/2011 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This is the only highlite kit that is less damaging. My baby fine hair doesn't suffer much, and the highlites are never brassy. my hair always rinses out soft, and the highlites are even and very complimentary!