April 19, 2014 | 1833 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2011 10:51:00 AM More reviews by italiagirl007

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this. But I only left the product on for 15 minutes, and it made bright lemon yellow streaks in my dark blonde hair...it's just not attractive.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by annadaoud

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I have to say this is an amazing product! I have been trying to get to blonde for years now and over and over I get disappointed and just dye my hair back to black. This is a great product if you are a medium brown and lighter. I DO NOT recommend this product (or any bleaching product)if your hair is dyed dark brown to black hair. Its going to turn orange or red, and if you have any grow out that hair is going to be lighter. My hair was black, with many coats on top of another so I went to a salon to have them color correct my hair. I did that twice until I got to a good light brown. (With 4 weeks in between) It still had a very red tone to it so I put a semi permanent color a little darker to tone it down. bleach is very harsh no matter what volume you use so be careful! So after about 2 months of letting my hair recover I started researching good at home highlighting kits. I did not want to spend another 180$ at the salon for more highlights. I heard about the Revlon frost and glow, read A LOT of reviews, and finally decided to go pick it up. I got it at target for 6.00! Score! So I got home and pre poked the holes of the cap through, read that would make it a whole lot easier. So I put some shine serum in my hair to make it silky and put the cap on and started poking through. I wanted an all over look so I poked every whole. It is tedious and time consuming but well worth it. At the back I actually started poking my own holes just because it was much too hard to do it in a mirror and you can't really feel the wholes. This took me about an hour and half, I also made sure to putt a lot of hair through each whole. If you don't want an all over effect do every other whole and less hair. That being said the hook they give you is not bad at all. It didn't break, but I wasn't too rough with it. I did do this alone, but I do wish I had someone to help me with the back, but its doable. So once you have all the hair through go over it with a comb to make sure there is no bunch up at the root. And just start applying, I just used my hands, with gloves of course. I am going to say that just to be safe buy 2 boxes. My hair is not long at all and barely had enough for my whole head, and you do want to make sure the hair is soaked. After I put the plastic bag on my head I made sure to pull it tight so no air could get in(if your hair gets dry the bleach won't work) and put a blow dryer on it for about 30-45 seconds every 3-4 minutes. Your head will naturally heat it up. Make sure you are checking it every 4-5 minutes! I left mine on for about 15 minutes and reached a beautiful golden blonde with platinum streaks here and there.

I was VERY skeptical of this product, so worried it would be a disaster because my hair was already damaged and I had about an inch of grown out hair that I was worried would turn platinum and look weird but surprisingly didn't. Did damage my hair but it was already very vulnerable. A good conditioner left on over night is always a good idea once a week or so.

Sorry this was so long but I hope it was helpful! Happy highlighting!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Angelpuff2005

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this kit on my natural un-dyed dark brown hair and it came out amazing. I use to dye my hair all the time and finally gave it a break and let it all grow out and be natural. Anyways, I have long mid-back, curly thick hair ( That i always blow dry and straighten) and the amount of product was more than enough. The end result was NOT BRASSY! Thank goodness, because i swear i have red undertones and it did NOT bring those up. I'm pretty sure the blue in the formula cancels out the red. The strands i highlighted came out a gorgeous blonde and they are so shiny! i pulled my hair through every circle hole and that took forever. i had no help :( It took like 40 mins..I used the given hook tool which kinda sucks and i will buy one from sallys next time. I rubbed the color on with my gloved hands and covered my head with the cap, to trap the natural heat and speed up the process. It took about 20-25 minutes for my dark brown hair to go to blonde. I kept the holey cap on rinsed off the dyed strands...pulled the cap off and but a ton of conditioner on my hair and let it sit for 3 mins..( the conditioner they give you is enough for like a quarter of my head..so i used my own too.) The end results looks gorgeous. I blow dried and flat ironed my hair ( with got2b seriously sleek). My hair came out so soft and lovely. Next time i may do all the holes. But no complaints. This is a great product, and now my hair is ready for summer!!! :) p.s. right now at walgreens its only $6.99!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by jocelynxxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product. I use it almost every year before summer to achieve highlights on my super dark brown hair. The only problem is I have to end up buying an extra package of blonde hair dye just to tone down the brassiness because there is not a lot of bleach product that comes in the highlighting kit, and my hair is super long. I love it, I use it on my friends, and I almost always get perfect results. I highly recommend it.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2011 9:31:00 AM More reviews by TequilaaSantos

I used the Honey highlights on colored dark brown hair. It didnt turn orange, but it barely showed up:(. I am going to try again today. Using the cap was not as hard as I thought though, even doing it alone. I think this works better on natural hair but hey it was only $9.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2011 7:16:00 PM More reviews by lumpyup

BRUNETTES: How to get deliciously caramel highlights with the dark brown hair kit! NO brassy tones at all! Seriously... perfect highlights :)

Products needed:

1. Highlighting kit in med to dark brown. $7 at Target

2. ApHogee 2-Step Protein Treatment and Balanced Moisturizer packet. $3.79 at Sally's. A must especially for pre-highlighted or colored hair to get even results.

3. Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent Creme Hair Color in 7NB (Medium Neutral Blonde). $4.49 at Sally's.

4. Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer 10 Volume 4 oz. $1.79 at Sally's.

5. Tools: hair color mixing bottle, gloves, hair dryer.

Ok, do the Aphogee protein treatment right before you do you highlights. Just follow the instructions on the packet and dry your hair afterwards. It's a bit messy and takes a little while, but it gives excellent results and you won't regret it!

After your hair is dry, do the highlights just like it says on the box. Pre-poke the holes in the cap and your scalp will thank you :) Make sure you leave the bleach on enough time... Don't get scared by the orange/yellow hair you see -- It will get fixed later. Plus, the white/blue paste makes the hair look lighter than it actually is. Leave it on for at least 40 mins... go the full 60 mins if you want them real light. Wash them out and condition. Dry the hair.

Now you can stop here if you like the way they turned out, but dark brown hair tends to pull reddish/orange tones when lightened. This is where the next part comes in: toning with a neutral demi-permanent color that is the SAME color or LIGHTER than your intended highlight color. Medium neutral blonde 7NB is perfect. This is a deposit-only color which will not be bleach and therefore not damage your hair. You can always skip a few days between highlighting and this step, but there's really no need. Plus it will add awesome shine! Mix the whole bottle of the 4 oz developer with the whole 2 oz of color in the mixing bottle and apply. It's that easy! Leave it on for 10 mins and rinse out and condition. Dry and style and enjoy your perfect highlights :)

See pics for how they turned out on me following these exact steps. The only mistake I made was leaving the bleach in for too little time, about 30 mins, so they turned out a bit redder and darker.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by mgslld

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ok! After reading many positive comments thought why not give it a try. Did all that was directed. The outcome was orange and brassy! Quite disappointed with the results. Didn't want to damage my hair anymore than already did so went out and bought a toner. Apparently, toner is quite gentle. Left it in for 5 minutes and AHHH sigh of relief. Got caramel colour. Glad I did. Now I love it! If it wasn't for the toner I think I would've given it a 1 lippy.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2011 2:09:00 PM More reviews by Jennack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ve been coloring my hair at home for almost 3 years, this this first time that i did highlights. i bougth this product and wasnt sure about it so, las night i decide to try something new on my hair is being dark brown for a couple of moths. i put the cap on and star pulling my hair throug the circle holes but then decide to use all the holes.
For the back part of my head i need someone else help. I was thrilled with the results i have it on for about 30 mnts and it is amazing!! yu cant tell it wasnt a pro who did it, i got the right amount not too thick but well distibute it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2011 8:30:00 PM More reviews by makeupem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was very hesitant to try this product at first because I have never put any dye in my hair before. I have naturally blonde hair but it has darkened quite a bit over the past few years and I wanted it to be just a little bit lighter by adding some highlights but I was nervous they would not look natural, but I really didn't want to pay a ridiculous price in a salon so I decided to give this a try. I really really liked the results they looked very natural. I have repurchased it about 3 times since the 1st time I purchased it. I had my mom help me with it just because I think it would be a little difficult to do on your own, but its defiantly possible. It didn't stink or anything it actually smells pretty good. The only issue I have with it is every time after I use it and wash it out it is almost impossible to comb through my hair and I lose what seems like half a head of hair but after that first wash I don't lose an unusual amount of hair when I wash it/comb it. I will continue to use this product and would defiantly recommend it to others !

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2011 8:49:00 AM More reviews by cj2424

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First let me say I've never written a review on ANY product. This is my first review EVER but that is how impressed I am!! I just had to share about this great product!! :)

I used the Platinum Frost and Glow for my medium/light brown hair with blonde highlights (done at the salon for years). Lately, when I'd get my hair done, I'd been noticing my hair was turning out really brassy from the get-go, not after months like you might expect. I wanted to go lighter for the summer, and without spending a fortune at the salon.

With MUCH trepidation, I bought the Revlon Frost and Glow after reading some of the reviews on MUA. I used it last night and WOW, my hair came out awesome!!! I am no professional, and I've never done my hair at home by myself out of a box. This thing is fool-proof!!!

I pre-poked the holes in the cap as some previous reviewers suggested and that really helped. I followed all the directions thoroughly, and I pulled my hair through the cap all by myself! I took about an hour to pull all the hair I wanted through the cap. I didn't have any trouble with the hook, and I did make sure I pulled the cap as tightly as I could stand it. I put it on my roots and the back first (where my hair is darker) then added it to the rest of my hair. I left it in for about 25 minutes. Next time I'll wait a little longer so the highlights even more blonde. I started to panic when I saw my hair lightening so fast, like some previous reviewers warned about, but it was all for nothing - my highlights came out perfect! NO brassiness!! No toner needed! I am VERY impressed. I got $140 highlights for 10 bucks!!!!! I am super excited!! I highly recommend this product!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No