Elizabeth Arden Red Door

2.8

on 11/18/2008 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

has a nice smell to it, but has a 'grandma' smell. So i woudlnt recommend for younger girls.

on 11/8/2008 2:49:00 PM

This has got to be the most offensive smell on the market-aside from patchouli fueled fragrances. My mother adores it so my sisters and I bought her a gift set for Christmas one year. If she happens to wear this scent when we're around it actually has the power to ruin our day. It's the epitome of 'old lady smell' and makes me nauseous and head-achy even when applied sparingly. ICK.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I actually got this fragrance (in a small 10 mL bottle) as a gift from my dad. He always gets me perfume and he usually has really good taste. He said he loves this stuff, so he must have smelled it on some woman who really worked it but I just can't seem to pull it off. I thought it just didn't work with my body chemistry but I'm reading lots of bad reviews here... no one seems to like it!
To me it smells very musky (which I don't mind in moderation) and powdery (not a fan on any day). The bottle says it's an "eau due toilette spray naturel". Usually with toilettes, since they are lower fragrance potency than perfumes, I spray a bit more on (like behind my knees and elbows). But this stuff is SO STRONG. I wore it like I'd wear any other toilette once and the smell made me dizzy and my mom complained! Just one whiff off the nozzle and the scent stays in my nose for way too long!
I would never buy it, but I don't believe in wasting things so I'll try to come up with other uses for it- like on clothes or in my hair- and see how that works. So far I'll occassionally just spray it in the air and walk through it when I'm having a lazy day but want to wear something. But I would not reccomend.

on 10/22/2008 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is right up there with Angel as far as perfumes that should be banned forever. A sickening strong stench that has to be one of the most potent perfumes ever. True story, I worked in a chemical plant with strong smells like you cannot comprehend and my boss wore this and I could smell her on the other side of the plant - the Red Door actually beat out the acid and solvent smells of a chemical factory. I guess it deserves one lippie for that alone.

on 10/22/2008 2:08:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

red door is my grandmother's favourite scent. she's been wearing it for 20 years. i think she's 80 or something. red door is OFFENSIVE and very strong . . . and a running joke in my family. DO NOT BUY IT. lets hope it goes off the market.

on 9/23/2008 4:20:00 PM

Finally I sampled Red Door again lately, having not smelled it in well over a decade. It started out smelling fresh and floral, like springtime. For a minute I couldn't understand the low ratings here. And then it swiftly became the typical heavy and plasticky 80s-esque gagger! If you like Oscar DLR Volupte or Lancome Tresor, you will probably like Red Door too! 'No sale' is a definite understatement here.

on 9/20/2008 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I loved this fragrance on a friend of mine, so of course I bought it. I definatley realized it is far too 'heavy'. I am not a fan of musky scents and this dried down to a very deep musk/rose which is great on others..not on me. I reccomend trying it first if you don't normally wear strong perfume. Oh...and I gave it a 1 on the packaging...very 'Dynasty' from the 80's..lol..!

on 9/19/2008 5:40:00 AM

A friend wears this as her signature scent. On her it smells absolutely divine; on me cat's wee!

on 8/14/2008 6:31:00 AM

My mother-in-law wears this, absolutely rank. This is gag material.

on 7/4/2008 9:54:00 PM

smells like my mom, circa 1990. it's a nostalgic smell so i kind of love it, but it hasn't aged well. it seems very dated.

Popular Fragrances