October 21, 2014 | 1830 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Bottle

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2004 1:45:00 AM More reviews by alyssamg

After my 4th little one was born, I expected the typical hormone flux while things readjusted, what I didn't expect was my forehead looking & feeling like an oil-slick!! It brought me back to my junior high years of pulling my cool feathered bangs forward with my Goody pick to cover the hideous breakouts! I was lucky enough to get this through a great swap, and I've been using it for about 4 wks now...I wasn't sure it was doing anything, but I realize now my forehead actually looks better - less breakouts and my forehead creases actually look less noticeable. It does 'mattify' my forehead - just enough to bring it in line with the rest of my face! I don't use it all over at this point; it does have a strange smell, but since its 'up there' my nose doesn't detect it after I put it on. I think the bottle will last me quite a while and I probably will repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2004 6:15:00 PM More reviews by tiggerfan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Hope in WHAT bottle? That's my question for Philosphy. I'm sorry for $33 I don't expect to have to use something for years before my skin clears up considering I don't break out that much anymore! There are many other great products for a LOT less that have performed miracles on my skin. I think the "purging" quote I got from the company is their way of covering up that this doesn't work. I don't mind a month or two of "purging", but 6-7 months is beyond ridiculous. I've found my HG in HABA and DHC right now and haven't had any issues with severe breakouts and cystic acne with those lines like I have Philosophy.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2004 3:59:00 AM More reviews by lilredbone

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the worst product ever. The first time using it, it broke me out like crazy. I continued using it for about a week, because I figured it was bringing everything to the surface. After about two more weeks, my face felt rough and dry. I can usually handle salicylic acid, but this was a total mess. Needless to say, this went right back to Sephora without any regrets. However, my face is still recovering, and it's been about two months.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2004 11:46:00 AM More reviews by rainy_days

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my favorite BHA treatment product. It leaves a matte finish on my normal to oily skin and makes a good base for my makeup. It does have a medicinal smell but it dissipates after a minute or two and doesn't bother me. Hope in a bottle is especially good when mixed with hope and a prayer vitamin c powder.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2004 7:49:00 PM More reviews by csl503

This stuff broke me out and I will never, ever use it again. Some will argue that it's supposed to make your skin purge and initial breakouts are a good thing. Maybe so, but $32.50 a bottle should make you look better, not worse. Thumbs down!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2004 1:16:00 AM More reviews by Sugar76

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

This is not an instant miracle in a bottle. Instead, I feel this is a type of product that gradually improves the skin after months (years perhaps?) of continuous use. I had breakouts on my chin and a couple of whoppers on my cheek which I attribute from test driving this product. After one month, those blemishes cleared up.

After 7 months I can see slight improvements in my oily blemish-prone skin. I continue to get my regular monthy breakouts, but they aren't as bad as before. Now only a couple blemishes form, whereas before I get several zits. The pores on my noise and on my cheeks appear smaller and seemingly less clogged. My complexion looks more even. This product hasn't minimized my skin's oil output, but I can apply this product and forgo a separate moisturizer. Unfortunately it doesn't have a matte finish.

Oh yeah, and another thing, it smells pretty bad. It has a strong medicinal scent that I've grown accostomed to. I recently purchased a second bottle, and since the cost comes out to a little less than US$4.65 a month, I can justify the $32.50 price tag for a 2 oz bottle. I like Hope in a Bottle better than Paula's Choice 1% and 2%. I will continue to use Hope until I stumble onto something better.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/16/2004 2:35:00 PM More reviews by KayW

I have very oily, acne(cystic) prone skin. So many acne products dry my skin and leave me with dry and oily skin so I gave this one a whirl. I found that this product did nothing for my oily skin. It went on ok(not real matte) but about 30 min later, my face was shiny. Oily skin causes breakouts. So if you have skin similar to mine, I wouldn't recommend it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2003 11:19:00 PM More reviews by JGardella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product totally broke me out! I have usually crystal clear skin (sensitive and on the dry side) and since I received a sample of this from Sephora I decided to test it out.

Bad Move. My skin looked awful after having used this, I wanted to cry. Not only did it make my skin look oily and gross, but it made me break out. I was so upset.

This is a total waste of money. Stay far far far away from this one!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2003 8:00:00 PM More reviews by SherryL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been using this product for over a month now. The first bottle that I had I received in a swap. However, when it arrived, I noticed that it was an 'older looking' bottle which said, "Hope in a Bottle Lightweight Moisturizer". I think they must have reformulated since the other girl had bought this b/c my new bottle says "acne treatment lotion" and smells TONS better!! Anyway, this is basically 2% salicylic acid in an ultra-light lotion form. It would be great to use on slightly dry/combo skin. I don't know how well this prevents blemishes (I use stuff at night to help with that), but I love using this during out more "moist" Florida weather... and then for cooler months, I switch to the Hope in a Jar.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2003 10:52:00 PM More reviews by ghotiball

Okay, so it's been a month of using this. I've gone through half the 2 ounce bottle. I think it's enough to say if it worked or not at this point. During the first 3 weeks, I PURGED like crazy. Nothing inflamed/cystic, but my pores were spitting out their clogs, and (yes, kind of gross) I'd have these icky plugs of hard oil sticking out. I couldn't exactly scrub them off without hurting the existing acne. I'd say, the inflammation overall was reduced, but skin texture/tone/brightness was not improved as the box said it would do.

It dries to a matte finish, which was the only "wow." It's got lavender in it, so it smells strong. The squeeze bottle is sanitary, but it's hard to squeeze out the product once you're half-way through b/c the cream is to thick, it sticks to the bottom of the container. I had to store it upside down in a small tupperware to keep the cream sitting closer to the opening of the flip-top. I couldn't just stand it on the cap b/c the cap is rounded. They should package it in a squeeze tube that stands up. I think salicylic acid can only help me so much. Now, I'm just going to back off from all treatments and give my skin a rest.

$30 for a 2-oz. bottle is expensive. But if it works for you, great. The thing that makes me mad is the inconsistency of their ingredient listing. The ingredients are listed on the box as well as the bottle, and the 2nd ingredients are different. On the box: ethylhexyl palmitate. One the bottle: octyl palmitate. In the past, I've had problems with a lotion that contained octyl palmitate. So I'm not sure if any kind of palmitate might be bad for me, and maybe this is one of the things making me break out still. Hmm... Philosophy might have changed their formula and didn't update either on the box or the bottle.

I really wanted to like this product and give it a great review like so many others here, but I guess an average so-so experience is expected somewhere. But I'll keep this bottle around and use it on my nose b/c it's the only lotion so far that keeps it matte!