July 29, 2014 | 1230 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Select Sheer Pressed Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2009 9:31:00 PM More reviews by Belle88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

A perfectly acceptable pressed powder.
I bought it on a whim as my faithful old Rimmel had started to crack and spill everywhere. It also had one of those annoying removable plastic lids which would forever come off and break. I fancied a compact and I just happened to be at the MAC counter in Gatwick-London duty free.
Got to address the main negative point here and that's the bloody price! 16.50 for a bog standard pressed powder? Okay, it has a mirror and a 'suedette' puff but come on.. I think this is where you start paying for the brand.
It's fine, keeps me matte, sheer coverage which sets my foundation and concealer..
Just nothing special really :)
I won't be repurchasing, cause you can get pressed powder compacts anywhere really. For a lot less than 16.50 too..

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2009 5:53:00 PM More reviews by lalalady1

Reading all of the negative reviews for this powder was extremely surprising... I am a press powder fiend, Press powder is my favorite makeup item by far.MAC select sheer press powder is awesome for people that love a very matte clean finish... I don't wear it alone because being that it is a sheer powder it does not provide the coverage that I would like but as a finishing powder over foundation OMG... It's look absolutely flawessless over studio fix fluid... this product is definitely a staple in my makeup bag and purse...

rated 3 of 5 on 10/28/2009 1:30:00 AM More reviews by ichig021

UPDATE 11/22/09: So I originally gave this product a rating of 4 lippies because I really, really liked it. Now, I'm going to have to give it a rating of 3 because three weeks later this product broke me out pretty badly. At first I thought it was the other products I was using, but I was able to narrow it down to this MAC powder. As soon as I stopped using it, new pimples stopped appearing. I give it at least a 3 because I did like the coverage and how it looked on me. Unfortunately, it just didn't do any good for my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/27/2009 10:15:00 AM More reviews by looweehse

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is only really for people with dry skin, or normal skin.
I bought it as the MAC Blot Powder I found to make me look too powdery.
The colours I found are all too yellow or too dark, so even though it's supposed to be sheer, it looked unnatural on my face.
It didn't leave me looking matte or even took any shine away immediately after application, and after an hour or so, I looked like an oil slick. Definitely not for oily skin!
I'm now using MAC Prep & Prime powder, with a powder puff and much prefering that.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2009 9:20:00 AM More reviews by khadijanile

Mmm so the truth is this used to be an acceptable product when there was nothing else to choose from. unfort now ive found mineralized natural there is no need for this product.

i struggled with the best form of application and actuallly found that using the NARS bronzing brush ans buffing this well into skin gives the best finish you could imagine. i was impressed. so if you love this product try using a kabuki type brush and you may love it even more!

i wont be purchasing again but have found a way to make it work.

texture is fine and you dont feel like you have anything on whichi s a plus. i can live without it though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2009 11:33:00 AM More reviews by miriamb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is just the best, would not buy any other foundation anymore. Skin looks PERFECT, flawless, blend perfectly, last all day, light coverage just enough to even out your skin color. Works as a primer for blush/bronzer. Mac has the best color selection, you'll sure find yours! (mine : NC40)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2009 11:01:00 AM More reviews by Milicica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This powder is just...meh...
It does the job ok as the setting powder, but it does look a bit dry-ish unless I spray it with Fix+ or something, and does set into lines.
But for the price I want it to work, especially because I only buy it because Maybeline discontinued the one I used here in Asia(that one was about 5 times cheaper - I am now really sad I never stocked up!).
However, it is the best setting powder I found so far (out of ones available here) so I am sticking with it till something better comes along(hopefully soon).

rated 1 of 5 on 9/4/2009 5:38:00 PM More reviews by rblondie76

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm starting to think that I only like Mac's lipsticks and eyeshadows....every time I've ventured outside of that, I end up sorely disappointed with the quality of their make-up. I think what always draws me back is the price - it's so reasonable compared to higher-end brands, but it's becoming more difficult to justify (for me, anyway) saving money just to end up with a not so great product. Anyway....

I bought the Select Sheer Shadow, expecting a nice, color-matched, translucent powder. I can say the color looked nice and matched my skin tone, but that's where my make-up fairytale ended. Unfortunately, the powder has a tendency to cake heavily, creases in fine lines and had a matte-like setting on my face (even though it's sheer), which as we all know - matte make-up is not natural looking. I actually felt like I looked older using this powder, given the fact I looked like I was wearing a ton of make-up even though I wasn't. Seriously, even Cover Girl has better looking powder than this....I tried it out of sheer desperation one day at work!

Since my Mac powder debacle, I've discovered Stila Sheer Pressed Powder (more expensive but SOOO worth it) and have never looked back at Mac's options. I won't review it here, but it definitely lives up to a true Sheer powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2009 12:16:00 PM More reviews by checotah44

I just tried this power after using Studio Fix for some time. I agree that the look is so natural but it does turn orangy. I have NC 30. What i discovered is that when it mixes with your moisturizer, it turns colors so what i do is i apply a think layer of the prep and prime (white) powder on first and it does not turn orange! i dont have to blot hardly at all with this and i have combo skin. I LOVE this powder. It does melt into your skin rather and just has a natural look. NOT CAKEY! love it.

writing more information. i did exchange the powder for NC 20 and its perfect. I will say this powder is one that looks most natural compared to any i have tried...it NEVER looks cakey...you cant even see it but it still covers. this is the last powder i will use. try it with MAC tinted moisturizer and you will be shocked how good it looks but yet natural.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2009 9:22:00 PM More reviews by steffmd25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Great pressed powder! Probably one of the better ones I have tried. I have repurchased this probably about 2 times. I love it, but I think I am just moving on to MSF Natural. It gives a better finished look to me :)