Maybelline Shine Free Pressed Powder

3.6

Talc, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Kaolin, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Silica Silylate, Propylparaben, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77499, CI 77492, CI 77491), Ultramarines (CI 77007)

DESCRIPTION OF ME: Caucasian PPP (Lancome Color ID I-10 C, Teinte Idole Ivoire 2 C) with normal skin to slightly oily skin.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: A light pressed powder for shine/oil/breakout control.

PACKAGE: The packaging is cheap, for sure, but as long as you donít drop it youíll be fine. Itís a simple dark blue color, so it doesnít attract too much attention. The powder puff included is your run-of-the-mill puff, which is fine for this product. The best thing I like about this compact is that I havenít had one come open on me accidentally yet.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE: Medium to fine texture, depending on how you apply it.

APPLICATION: Using the puff, I lightly dusted my entire face. The powder can go on pretty thick if youíre not careful, so watch out.

SMELL: No smell detected.

STAYING POWER: Iíd say this stuff is pretty darn resilient. I still get a bit of shine later on in the day, but the amount of repowdering is kept to a minimum.

NATURAL/COLOR?: I used the Ivory, and on my complexion it wasnít noticeable at all. I just looked put together and natural.

SUNSCREEN: None.

IRRITATION/BREAKOUTS: Iíve been using this powder since late August, and so far my face seems to be tolerating it wellóas far as breakouts are concerned. However, the drying agents in the formula will irritate your skin and dry it out even further if you donít moisturize like crazy before applying.

OVERALL: A good powder, and so far, my HG until something else turns my head. My only complaint is that it seems to run out rather quickly, but being only $5 a compact it doesnít hurt too much to go pick up a new one. EDIT: I have been using this particular powder for some years now, seeing as it's worked well enough that I haven't felt the need to find anything else better. My complaints now are the same as the ones I reported when I first reviewed, however I am going to put more emphasis on the speed with which this product runs out. Seriously, it seems as if I'm buying a new compact once every two weeks!! Also, sometimes it seems as if the consistency varies a bit from compact to compact. Still, it hasn't left me with any serious skin issues, so I'll continue to repurchase.

Thanks to Seclusae2 for the layout!
continued >>

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I am surprisingly impressed with this powder. It is cheap, yet high-performing. It glides on smoothly and instantly blots away shine. But not only that-it conceals with a very sheer color, and even brightens my complexion. The tan/caramel shade has very fine gold flecks that must provide the soft glow. I wear this on my well moisturized, bare skin (combo/dry)-and it looks like my skin but much, much better-so clear and healthy. I was afraid of breakouts, but this does not irritate my skin at all. I prefer this on bare skin, it looks more dry directly on top of Clinique Perfectly Real compact, (but it does excellently touch it up later in the day). You canít detect the color on you skin, your face just looks more even-toned and clear. It does not pick up dullness, dryness, patches or lines. It controls shine very well, and only my nose breaks through past mid-day, which is quickly remedied by blotting. What a steal. EDIT: my first compact broke up after a few months, and my second after only 2 weeks. Plus they discontinued my shade-so won't be buying again. :(

i thought it did an okay job for the first couple of day.. but i also relised that i didnt last long at ALL.. and when it was in my hangbag.. de powder broke apart..?? AND IT DIDNT EVEN STOP MY SHINE ON MY NOSE!!!! IT DIDNT LAST L0NG DATS 4 SURE.. DEF NOT BUYING THIS AGAIN

It's werid because I used this in the past, with no problems. But urg, I brought this again, and my skin broke out so bad. I have these huge, cyst pimples on my face, and my skin was still oily. Never, will I ever use this again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This powder does a great job controlling shine! I have very oily skin, especially during the warmer months of the year. I was looking for something to control my oily skin and came across this powder. It is far superior to many other more expensive brands. It contains great oil absorbing ingredients such as kaolin and silica. In addition it is oil-free which is quite unusual for a pressed powder. It is very finely milled and provides a natural finish and layers well without looking cakey, similar to that of BE mineral veil, but with great oil control and an unbeatable price. I got mine for $4.99 in Target. I have very fair skin so I use the lightest color (ivory), however it is very fair so unless you have extremely fair skin I'd advise to get the light beige.
The packaging is ok, it comes in a dark blue compact which has a mirror and fits easily into a purse.
Definitely my HG powder.EDIT:After using this for a couple of weeks I started having clogged pores and breakouts all over my face even in places I never had breakouts before. When I stopped using it the breakouts stopped. I will have to search for something else.

i have tried a lot of powders, cause i don't like foundation, and this one is the best one up to date (2006 March). it gets rid of shine, and doesn't look too powdery, in fact it is pretty much invisible. it comes in a little dark blue, square compact with a powder puff applicator (not a sponge).
you just have to apply once, and then i pat my face afterwards to remove any excess, but it feels smooth and clean and works for a while.
i wear Golden 05, and i found that their shades match skintones better than some other brands or powders, which can leave your face looking pink or sallow.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is an old staple for me! I always had a hard time finding oil free, oil controlling powders that acutally looked good on my skin, and this is the only one that has come through for me. It is very light, and does not feel waxy on the skin. Touch ups are at least once a day, which is much better compared to other powders I have tried that required 3-4 touch ups. It definitely does not make me break out, which is a plus. The compact is not really impressive, but since the product works so well I really don't care. I tried powders from Revlon and L'Oreal, and they did not have the oil control that this does, even though they were pretty good too. I have tried Cover Girl Fresh Look, which was a mistake - it turned orange throughout the day and felt really slimy on my skin. Will not stray from this again - good product at a reasonable price that doesn't reek havoc on my already oily skin, which even at 30 does not seem to be calming down.

I was surprised to find that I really liked this product. The only thing that I have found is that it doesn't wear for a long time, so I need to keep reapplying. In general, I stay away from drug-store brands. I bought this for the first time when I was at a wedding, and I didn't have any choice except to run to the CVS for blot powder. In addition to toning down the shine, it also contributes to an even, flawless look. I wear the ivory/translucent shade.

I really like this powder. I had been using Shisheido pressed powder but I couldn't afford to buy it so I stopped at CVS and picked up Shine Free. I was a little worried because it doesn't say translucent Ivory and I like to wear translucent powder but the powder goes on sheer and blends well with my fair skintone. I use it only on my forehead, chin, and nose. It controls shine better than Shisheido and it lasts practically all day (I only need to reapply it once a day). I plan on sticking with Shine Free, so I will be repurchasing this product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have been using this powder for a couple of weeks now. I apply it with a micro-fine sponge, as a finish to liquid foundation. Ivory is the perfect shade for me. Pale but with a yellow undertone--just like my skin tone. I have used very expensive powders, and multiple drugstore powders over the last 18 years that I have worn makeup, and none have preformed as well as this. I use a "stay-on" makeup, but this keeps it set, so I very rarely have to touch up. No acne flares so far. May be HG!