April 17, 2014 | 1938 users online

Treatments - Joico - k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2011 5:51:00 PM More reviews by Ally18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this product. It smells gorgeous and does an amazing job of softening and adding shine to my hair, I always get compliments when I use this. Only downside is the price.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2011 2:36:00 PM More reviews by finideasy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

While this product smells delicious!! It doesn't perform half as well as I had hoped it would:( I need a protein treatment as my hair is quite brittle from all the stresses of using flat irons and dying etc. My hair doesn't feel any stronger after using this or look any better. I had previously used Redken Cat and Redken deep fuel which both worked INCREDIBLY! I will probably finish the tube of this as it can't do my hair any harm but i will defo be switching back to redken after!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2011 1:06:00 AM More reviews by mtnsunshine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love how this smells like bananas to me. I was recommended this after a bad salon trip, but wasn't told on how to properly use it. After researching it, I realised it wasn't mean as a conditioner. However, whether I use it once a month, or once a week, I don't notice some dramatic difference. I enjoy the smell, the ingredients, and the texture, but for the price, I wish it worked better for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2011 5:47:00 PM More reviews by o0oTheBeesKneeso0o

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The thing that stands out to me about this product is just how little information you get on how to use it! "Apply to damp hair. Leave on for 5 minutes. Rinse." Following these directions my wet hair was left in huge tangles which I had to fix with a wide tooth comb - and I hate combing my hair when it's wet and fragile to begin with! So after reading up a bit more about it I found out that the best way to use it. 1) Shampoo hair with a cleansing shampoo (Neutrogena Anti-Residue is awesome). 2) Apply Reconstructor all over your hair and leave it in for 5-10 min tops because too much protein can actually dry it out and there is only so much protein that your hair can absorb at a time anyway. 3) Rinse out & use a conditioner to moisturize and detangle your hair. There you have it! I also found out that it's best not to use it more than about once a week (or less) or on hair that is not damaged because it will be counter-productive and dry or damage your hair. In general this is good stuff, it does what it says it will do if you know how to use it.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2011 1:04:00 PM More reviews by suzannedeweese

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this about once every two weeks for three months now. I have medium-long, fine, thick, stick-straight, strawberry blonde hair, never been dyed or anything. I wash, braid, and then brush it with a natural bristle brush before I wash it again - occasionally lightly oil it with jojoba oil. And I work with kids and do messy sculpture work, so my hair is tied back unless I'm being fancy, and to be honest I only cut it every five or six months...

So, here's my experience with this product: I wash my hair only every 3/4 days, and use a cheap shampoo or 2-1 shampoo/conditioner and then some kind of "masque" or "deep conditioner" or whatever - which maybe I shouldn't do, been reading the reviews here about silicone and that this is a protein thing and how that can work together... anyway, it's been working awesomely for me: my fine hair is strong, really shiny, not weighed down, and it keeps the ends in great condition - I'm about to get a haircut for the first time since late summer, but I haven't found any split ends (!) and I give credit to this stuff for that. I do find it detangles, and I've certainly never used a moisturizer/conditioner after rinsing this out. I leave it in for maybe five minutes - occasionally longer.
I think the smell is fine, nothing special and not overwhelming.
I got my bottle on supersale, and while I really like this stuff, I don't think I'd buy it at regular price - I'd use something else and wait til the next time I saw it on the clearance shelf. (Which is where I got my first Joico product, the Sun Therapy reconstructor, which I loved EVEN MORE. And it was $1! Will DEFINITELY be checking the clearout shelf for that one :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2010 8:07:00 PM More reviews by ex0ticbarbie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I don't know if I happened to buy a bad product or whether they are all like the one I had, but whatever the reason is I really did not like that. After bleaching my hair from black to blonde I decided to buy something that would help out my abused hair. This product felt horrible in my hair and the smell wasn't too pleasant either. The weird thing was after about a week and a half of purchasing this bottle, when I opened it one day everything leaked out because the product became very watery. I thought this was really strange and not to mention a waste of $25. I definitely wouldn't be repurchasing this again as it didn't do anything to help the condition of my hair, in fact it made it feel greasy. I prefer the Dumb Blonde products more.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2010 7:41:00 PM More reviews by solyacska

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

In the past year I've literally done everything you can do to completely ruin hair - daily flat ironing, extensions, black dye, then 6 rounds of bleach. Surprisingly I still had hair but calling it fluff is probably more fitting. Thin, crunchy feeling fluff at that.

Enter an incredibly arrogant hairstylist who confronted me with the above facts and forced me to purchase the Reconstructor and the Intense Hydrator for an extortionate price. I took them home, tried them out and was pretty amazed. My hair felt like human hair again and lost the appearance of cotton candy, which makes this product a defnite winner for me.

I wash my hair with a silicone-free shampoo first - this is important to remove buildup and prep the hair for protein. Then I towel dry, apply K-pak, blast it with hairdryer and leave it on for 30-40min. You're supposed to use the Intense Hydrator afterwards but I found that was a very mediocre product - any moisturising hair mask should do.

As my hair is pretty damaged I find myself using K-pak weekly for now, I feel it washes out of my hair after 3-4 washes. If you have less damage, make sure not to use it too often because excess protein is not good for hair either. Oh, and for God's sake, this is NOT A CONDITIONER. It won't moisturise and detangle hair, it is a protein treatment and should be used accordingly.

Can I just say I adore the scent? It's the most modern and surprising olfactory experience a hair product has presented me with. This is how a night out on a beach smells like, stale Pina Colada, worn-off perfume and the scent of your skin after dancing in a crowded club. Love it and love the product too.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2010 2:16:00 AM More reviews by greenapp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

QUESTION!!

I've bought it in a package along with the shampoo and intensive hydrator, and I've only opened & used this one.
And I'm having a serious problem with it.

First of all, I have wavy hair, which is almost straight. I only have waves at the ends with some bounce in my roots, and it's straight in between.
Now, after I've used this product, some of my strands turned curly, and when I checked the texture, it was visibly damaged. The thickness of those strands were very uneven.
While I had used for two more times, number of curly & damaged strands increased.
Today, I used it for fourth time to make sure this is the one that's damaging my hair. I saw so many strands being curly while my hair was still damp, especially a lot of shorter, newly growing strands.
Once my hair was dried, those curles had been calmed down, with smooth and shiny overall.
However, I found 4 grey strands of hair from my soft black hair, and I'm so shock!

Could please someone answer me if this is what this product does to some people?
If so, what could be the problem that caused all this?

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2010 7:32:00 PM More reviews by amarie4

Okay I want to start off by saying, this is NOT a conditioner. It is a treatment with a high amount of protein which can dry out your hair if you use it every day as a conditioner. And to the person below me... as a hair dresser, don't ever buy your hair products at the drug store unless you're getting head and shoulders. The quality of the product is not guaranteed unless sold directly from a professional. I've seen first hand that drug stores basically charge you brand name prices, but what you're actually paying for is no better than suave. You're not getting the real deal. Now to my review- I was a little skeptical of this stuff the first few times I used it (I'd use it once a week) but after about a month of use my hair felt thicker, stronger, and softer than it did before I had even bleached it. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone with dry, brittle, or damaged hair. My hair was breaking off so badly from constantly coloring and bleaching it but this stuff seriously works miracles.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2010 3:36:00 PM More reviews by BlondeCaptivation

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I would recommend this, but personally I don't feel it achieved HG status with me. My hair feels alright after using but still a little dry. I saw much more promising results after using Enjoy's Hair Mask, but when it comes to drugstore reconstructors I believe this is as good as it gets. It smells great and the price isn't astronomical. Joico is a reliable brand and none of their products have left me disappointed.