July 28, 2014 | 1716 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Ultra Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2008 3:51:00 PM More reviews by jaqi16

I use it with a brush for light coverage/shin matter (use with sponge for more coverage in problem areas). It's the only powder I will use. Looks so natural and photographs terrific. HG for powder

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2008 6:52:00 PM More reviews by definesinister

Ok I took one lippie off because of the perfumed smell in this product, but its not overwhelming like shiseido's powdery foundation. && because there are sparkles in this product... I notice this when the sun hits my face, not in regular lighting.

The verdict? overall nice on my nc25/30 skin. I went to mac first, but I found that their foundations have chemical smells. I used primer as well, that probably contributed to acne. Well when I thought about merle norman one day on makeupalley, I saw good reviews on this product, so I decided to give it a test run, the worst comes worst if I break out then I'll just return it. Nope, never broke out from it whenever I use it (which isn't often). Non-chalky && best of all... no orange oompa loompa. You would need some powder by midday though if your skin is like mine (combo). I use sunscreen as my primer everytime and I get amazing results. I suggest MAC's Blot powder in pressed form because it does not have color and it is great for touch ups. As soon as I'm done testing out Shiseido's powdery foundation with w/ MAC's Fix+, I will give ending results for that and then test trial this powder foundation with some MAC Fix+. I'm surprised this never broke me out since this contains quite a few silicone ingredients, and primers typically have nothing but silicones. Oh another thing is I NEVER use the sponge. For those of you out there that use sponge, invest into a brush that will do the trick better! Sponges feed bacteria unless you change it every two days. Personally I think the sponge that comes with this looks cheap and will crumble as soon as you wash it with alcohol. But oh the love of this product! =)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2008 7:44:00 PM More reviews by richaco

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

My search of my HG foundation is over -- Merle Norman Primer, Lasting Foundation, and Ultra powder = AMAZING! I have oily skin, makeup constantly slides off, makes me "luminous" (aka shiny and sparkly), or accentuates my large pores. I went and tested this out at 11 am, and at 6:30 pm my makeup still looks freshly applied and matte. I have been trying everything lately -- Laura Mercier, Revlon Colorstay, Loreal Infallible, Chanel Perfection powder, Makeup For Ever Duo Mat powder, on and on and on....... THIS ABSOLUTELY ROCKS!!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2008 1:57:00 PM More reviews by Tucker104

I bought this based on the rave reviews I found here, and I'm so glad I tried it. This is hands-down the best foundation I've ever worn. I have acne scars on my cheeks that I have never been able to cover without it feeling like I had way too much makeup on. This is lightweight, has great coverage, and makes my face look flawless. The ladies at the Merle Normal store listened to my concerns about color matching and found a shade (Cameo) that matched my skin perfectly. It wears beautifully, in fact, I think it looks better the longer I wear it. I never have to reapply or even touch-up. And the best part is it doesn't break my face out like most foundations.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2008 7:23:00 PM More reviews by igetjokes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this based on the reviews here and boy am I glad I did. The color match is perfect and it made my skin matte yet left it feeling silky smooth. (I have oily, acne prone skin.) No pore clogging ingredients and great oil control!!! The finish is fabulous.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2008 11:28:00 AM More reviews by soccergurl19L

This is a fantastic foundation. It kept me matte all day long, which is a huge feat as my makeup seems to deteriorate at a quicker rate when I'm in school; I'm not sure why, but it does, lol. Anywho...the color matches my skin really well, and it provides good light to medium coverage. It does not cover everything completely, but I was able to conceal most of my post-acne scars, which is a big plus in my book. My mom has been using this foundation forever, and I finally decided to give it a try...I'm sooo happy I did, and I would recommend this to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2008 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Rachel1234

This is the best powder foundation I've ever tried (and I've tried so many). It goes on smooth and even, and makes my normally blotchy/acne-prone skin look perfect. It absorbs oil really well, yet NEVER looks cakey or obvious. It doesn't change color on me half-way through the day. And it doesn't slide-off or disappear. It actually goes on beautifully and stays looking beautiful all day. It makes my pores looks smaller and makes my skin look peaches-and-cream perfect. I love it! I have pale warm-undertoned skin, and I wear this in the color "Cameo" - perfect match! *** Just make sure that YOU choose the best color match for your skin (not the SA), because the Merle Norman sales ladies do tend to push the wrong color on people. I've found that they usually try to sell shades that are too dark, too orange, or too pink for your skin - in an attempt to "add color to" or "balance" your complexion. I don't think they understand the goal is to MATCH the skin color exactly, not "change" it or "balance" it. If you don't get a good color match you end up with an obvious line of demarcation, and a face that's a different color than your neck (not a good look). Make sure that YOU check the color .... go outside in the sunlight and walk around .... get in your car and look in the mirror .... make sure the color is right for you. Worst case though, you can always return it and exchange for the right color. I just want to make sure people know not to trust the Merle Norman SA, and to make sure they are in charge of their color selection. It's always better to get the right color the first time around. But as for this powder foundation ... it's wonderful! 5 lippies!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2008 11:15:00 AM More reviews by under2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation after reading the good reviews for oily skin. It did absolutely nothing for me. The color match was great (I am very pale), but it was the flattest finish I have ever encountered! No staying power, either. I don't know about the rest of you girls, but the customer service at the 2 MN studios I went to here is about the worst I have ever had. I knew more about makeup than the women who worked there. Sorry, but I just couldn't go with this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2008 1:26:00 PM More reviews by workoutgal7

I bought this product because I read the rave reviews on MUA - I just want to say thanks for all the recommended this product. I have super oily, acne prone skin and I have a lot of acne scaring/cystic acne thanks to Cover Girl TruBlend foundation. I was desparate to find something perfect for my face. This powder foundation doesn't make me break out, helps to absorb a lot of oil in my skin, doesn't dry my skin out and provides great coverage. I do have to reapply my concealer after putting on the foundation, then put on more foundation, but the end result is nice. I really like this product. I actually have makeup still on my face at 4pm, which I've never had before. The oiliness in my face made my foundation/powder slide off at the end of the day. Thanks again MUA ladies!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2008 11:00:00 PM More reviews by wasjame

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this on chattykathy's recommendation and oh, my Lord! If all of her recommendations are this dead on, I'm hiring her as my personal cosmetic consultant. This is one fantastic foundation. I was really leery at first, as the SA was determined to sell me a color that was just hideously pink on my pale skin - she felt I needed a little color. But when I finally forced her to try the Cameo, it was absolutely the perfect match. The coverage is amazing, hides everything I want hidden (except undereye shadows, of course) but is so sheer I can apply it almost without consulting the mirror. It's just about as close to foolproof as I've ever seen a foundation get as far as application gets. I know some MUAer's are also using this as a powder over liquid foundation, but I find the coverage completely adequate alone. The finish is not at all cakey or powdery, but just a smooth almost airbrushed effect. The only caveat is that it may be a little drying, so a good moisturizer would probably be a good idea. Love this. And at $25, it's not too hard on the wallet.