July 24, 2014 | 1780 users online

Liquid - Rimmel - Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 9:10:00 AM More reviews by secondadonna

I was very pleasantly surprised by this foundation. I'm not sure what made me impulse-buy it on sale, when I haven't had luck with Rimmel's other foundations (or many of their products, in fact). I'm glad I did, because it's a keeper!

The texture is thick - heavier to the touch at first than I'd expect for something called "mousse", but like a mousse, a tiny bit goes a very long way. Use sparingly! I found it very blendable (I always apply foundation over a lightweight moisturizer, fyi) yet with good, buildable coverage. So far I've only applied it with my fingers. I feel like a sponge would probably just move it around, and I'm not sure about such a thick formula with a brush, though a normal flattish foundation brush might be a good fit if you hate using your fingers.

Applied sparingly, the finish is natural, smooth, and slightly powdery, yet didn't grab onto dry areas badly (nothing like MUFE Mat Velvet does, for instance). I use a finishing powder with all foundations, but don't need as much as usual with this one. The matteness fades a bit through the day (I've never found a matte base that stays truly matte on me all day) but I was never really shiny/greasy... not even really dewy. It just gradually changed from matte to satin, without wearing off.

I like this product a lot. The lightest shade is a little dark for my winter skin but this might be a great option for the rest of the year. I bought Light Porcelain/010, and it's a lot lighter than the Porcelain or Ivory options in other Rimmel foundations (and I think might be new to this reformulation/repackaging). I find it to be a little lighter than Revlon CS in Ivory, and a little pinker than MUFE Mat Velvet in 115.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2014 10:02:00 AM More reviews by ginaree

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this product this week after hearing good things about it. It has some pros and cons.

Pros: The texture of it wonderful putting it on. The liquid mousse is very smooth going on. I had been advised to apply after moisturizer because it can be drying. It blended well and felt soft on my skin. The color matched pretty good. I'm pretty pale, so I like the fact they offer multiple shade of ivory. I had the middle one, and it was a little light but not horrible. Price is very good for the amount you get because a little goes a long way.

Cons: I was very surprised with how it felt by the end of the day. Scratch that...by noon, I was shiny and it felt heavy, like lotion sitting on my skin. Talk about an oil slick! I wanted so bad to wipe it off and start over, but was in the middle of my work day. I even broke out on my chin from it.

I was happy this morning to put on my favorite foundation, my go to, Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 foundation in Creamy Natural. It felt so different and sets in unlike this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2014 10:06:00 AM More reviews by brelig

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It took a lot of experimenting to figure out how to apply this foundation without it sitting on top of my skin and making pores more noticeable. Even now that I've mostly figured out a way to apply it, I still have days where this just sits unevenly on top of my skin. It's a lot of effort to get this one right. When it works, it leaves the skin soft, radiant, matte, but not chalky or washed out. Sadly, within a few short hours, the entire center of my face is very shiny. I'm used to blotting with all foundations because I have oily skin, but this requires the whole nine yards: blot, repowder, touch-up. Wear time for me was not great and when it started to break down, it didn't do so in a nice way.

It feels rather heavy on the skin, but only gives inconsistent coverage. I don't know how to explain it, but this is both heavy coverage and no coverage all in one. Redness and broken capillaries showed right through, although other imperfections were completely masked.

The bottle always seems to squirt out far more than I need, making it rather wasteful. I do like the tube and feel this is generally a hygienic way of dispensing a cream product, and makes it travel friendly as well.

The lightest 101 shade was not even close to light enough for my pale skin in December. This was made even more noticeable once it oxidized dramatically after a few hours. It would be a better match for me around June, maybe, but due to the poor staying power, I doubt I'd be wearing this during the warmer months. I'm currently wearing it now, in March, before the weather is too hot and I've gotten a little bit of color so I can blend a bit down my neck. But mostly I'm just wearing it to get rid of it, which is not a great reason to use a product.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by emma2312

I really like this product!

I was drawn to the mattifying properties the product seems to have, due to my oily skin.
It is quite a thick consistency which may lead you to believe it will be thick and cakey, however, if you use the right amount of product and work it in nicely, it can make your skin look smooth and flawless.

I find there was a nice colour range, typically I would only be able to find one shade that I could make work, but I could potentially purchase 2 different shades and make them work.

I use this product with a primer and powder. The powder may not be necessary, however I use it just to be safe. Despite these layers and the products thick consistency, it feels light weight.

My main criticism is that it doesn't seem to last the whole day, for me. During a school day, the product on my forehead seems to become a bit patchy.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2014 10:43:00 PM More reviews by hmhanke89

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm trying so hard to like this! I love the mattifying powers this has but the not-quite-right shades and mask-y appearance are turning me off. I've tried it by itself, mixed with various luminizing primers, moisturizer, other foundations, etc but as soon as I have my makeup done I want to wash it all off because it just feels heavy to me. I wish (so bad!) this was a thinner formula with light-medium coverage. I'm fair and even the lightest shade is much too dark and pink- doesn't blend at all with my neck. It does keep my oily skin in check all day, and that's the only reason I continue to experiment with it. Hopefully I'll find a combination that works! Got it at Walgreens for 50% off and a $1 coupon so it was less than $2.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/7/2014 6:19:00 PM More reviews by BrightEyes001

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great foundation! My skin is super oily and every foundation just slides around and comes off by the middle of the day. This doesn't do that! It doesn't keep me fully matte, but nothing ever does. It stays on for about 9 hours before I notice it coming off. Seriously, by the end of the day it looks exactly the same as it did when I applied it that morning!! I use my fingers to apply this all over my face, and then use a stipple brush on my cheeks to help cover scars. My face seriously looks airbrushed! My only complaint is that the shade range is quite pink-toned.

Edit: This cakes up quite badly on and around my nose and makes my pores look huge. Also the color oxidizes to a bright pink (yes, pink!) Reducing to two lippies

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2014 3:24:00 AM More reviews by MacPeetster

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My skin is combination/dry so I didn't expect this foundation to work so well on my skin! I tend to gravitate more towards the more dewy foundations. However, this looks very good on my skin. Especially when wearing a slightly sparkly blush and a highlighter on my cheekbones. I covers my freckles really well, so the coverage is medium to full, which is fantastic. Overall a good foundation for a great price; would repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2014 2:26:00 AM More reviews by bbarry75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

-turned greasy on my nose within the hour. I didn't take any lippies off for this because I have never found anything that keeps me matte.
-the coverage diapered within a few hours, my face looked patchy and unhealthy.

Update: I have upped the rating because I have been able to make this work
-I mix it with my loreal bb cream that is a touch to yellow. Mix with the Rimmel stay Matt that is to pink I get a perfect color.
-I still get really oil
-the light coverage good for me

update: not working anymore. Now sinks into my pores and looks gross. Not summer prof

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2014 10:57:00 PM More reviews by trillium13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I debated on whether to give this 2 or 3 lippies, but since it's called "Stay Matte", and it doesn't, I went with 2. This looks beautiful when first applied.(unless you have any dry areas, which it accents terribly) Within about 3-4 hours it breaks down on me and I look oily and patchy. Not cute. I have other foundations/BB creams that perform much better than this, so I think I'm giving up on it. I've tried it with a few different kinds of powder (including their own Stay Matte powder) and they don't seem to help any. If you don't need major oil control or long wear, this might work for you. The color range is decent, and it's very inexpensive. It didn't work for me though. :(

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2014 5:49:00 PM More reviews by ladykay09

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok rimmel really needs to make darker shades of this foundation. I'm Latina and I purchased Sand which is the darkest and its still a little too light. So it seems like all of the shades they have are for the lighter gals. Any who, this product is really good and stays true to their title. Definitely matte!