July 30, 2014 | 1171 users online

Liquid - Rimmel - Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2014 3:32:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I have combo-to-oily skin. I am very weary of trying drugstore foundations. As, most of them I feel aren't of good quality. I don t usually use Rimmel's products. As, I had never been really interested in any of their foundations. And, the only other Rimmel product I've tried besides this one is their Stay Matte Powder which I found to provide good oil control, but the fragrance in it started to irritate my face. It's a really good product, but Rommel really needs to take the fragrance out.

This foundation provides light-to-medium, buildable coverage. Normally, I only buy foundations that will provide Max coverage, that's just my personal preference, even though my face is clear of breakouts, and the only thing I really have to contend with is shadowing around my eyes. This foundation makes my face look completely flawless. On it's on, I know that it will not keep my face matte all day. Which is why, I make sure to set the foundation very we'll with powder and this keeps the foundation looking flawless on my face for practically all day.

Overall, I feel that this is one of the best foundations that they offer in the drugstores. And, I will definitely continue to buy it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I saw this on sale at Walgreen's and with my card it was half off and at less than $5 for a foundation it was worth a try. I love a good bargain and with even drugstore foundations priced at close to or even over $10 these days, this is a steal on a great foundation. I was excited to try this out and had never used a matte formula before so I really didn't know how this would differ from my usual nonmatte formulas. I used this as usual over a pore perfector and a primer and the first thing I noticed is how thick this creme is. It is much thicker than the mousse I've been using, and this has noticibly much more coverage and evened out my skin until I looked like a mannequin. I was afraid I had used too much to start with and thankfully this smoothed out very well and didn't end up looking too heavy or caked on. It did not really feel heavy on either, much to my delight. I know now that a little goes a long way and this gives a natural look and best of all does not look the least bit shiny or greasy and it didn't need setting powder to get rid of the shine. Now I know how the matte is different and I like the look very much. Since buying this last week, I've used this several times and it has had great staying power on me even after working a 12 hour shift, my foundation still looked great and wasn't blotchy, patchy or shiny looking. The coverage is a bit more than I usually use but the price is fabulous and the match for my skin is excellent in the Ivory shade. Color me impressed. I actually ran back to the store and picked 2 more of these at the sale price since they worked so well for me!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by admilly101

Overall Rating: 4/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Combo/Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: $8-9 at most drugstores
COVERAGE: This definitely has a medium-full coverage. I suggest building the coverage in VERY thin layers, as this makeup definitely has the capability of looking cakey.
FINISH: I would call this a natural matte. There is not much shine, but I still find that I have dimension to my skin.
TEXTURE: Thick and almost dry when you first squeeze it out, but it blends like a dream and actually wears on the face quite light and unnoticeable.
SPF: None
LASTING POWER: This lasts about 8 hours on my skin, which is just perfect! it gets a little dewy at the end of the day, but most foundations do. PS I don't set with a powder
SCENT: None that I detect
SHADES: Rimmel, work on shades! I got 200 Soft Beige, which is just a hair too dark but should work in the summertime for me.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: Nope :D
PACKAGING: I like squeeze tube bottles!
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: YES
FINAL VERDICT: I am blown away by this makeup. It is so light and undetectable on my skin and provides great coverage and a beautiful finish. For under $10, it is definitely worth trying.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 9:10:00 AM More reviews by secondadonna

I was very pleasantly surprised by this foundation. I'm not sure what made me impulse-buy it on sale, when I haven't had luck with Rimmel's other foundations (or many of their products, in fact). I'm glad I did, because it's a keeper!

The texture is thick - heavier to the touch at first than I'd expect for something called "mousse", but like a mousse, a tiny bit goes a very long way. Use sparingly! I found it very blendable (I always apply foundation over a lightweight moisturizer, fyi) yet with good, buildable coverage. So far I've only applied it with my fingers. I feel like a sponge would probably just move it around, and I'm not sure about such a thick formula with a brush, though a normal flattish foundation brush might be a good fit if you hate using your fingers.

Applied sparingly, the finish is natural, smooth, and slightly powdery, yet didn't grab onto dry areas badly (nothing like MUFE Mat Velvet does, for instance). I use a finishing powder with all foundations, but don't need as much as usual with this one. The matteness fades a bit through the day (I've never found a matte base that stays truly matte on me all day) but I was never really shiny/greasy... not even really dewy. It just gradually changed from matte to satin, without wearing off.

I like this product a lot. The lightest shade is a little dark for my winter skin but this might be a great option for the rest of the year. I bought Light Porcelain/010, and it's a lot lighter than the Porcelain or Ivory options in other Rimmel foundations (and I think might be new to this reformulation/repackaging). I find it to be a little lighter than Revlon CS in Ivory, and a little pinker than MUFE Mat Velvet in 115.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2014 10:02:00 AM More reviews by ginaree

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this product this week after hearing good things about it. It has some pros and cons.

Pros: The texture of it wonderful putting it on. The liquid mousse is very smooth going on. I had been advised to apply after moisturizer because it can be drying. It blended well and felt soft on my skin. The color matched pretty good. I'm pretty pale, so I like the fact they offer multiple shade of ivory. I had the middle one, and it was a little light but not horrible. Price is very good for the amount you get because a little goes a long way.

Cons: I was very surprised with how it felt by the end of the day. Scratch that...by noon, I was shiny and it felt heavy, like lotion sitting on my skin. Talk about an oil slick! I wanted so bad to wipe it off and start over, but was in the middle of my work day. I even broke out on my chin from it.

I was happy this morning to put on my favorite foundation, my go to, Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 foundation in Creamy Natural. It felt so different and sets in unlike this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2014 10:06:00 AM More reviews by brelig

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It took a lot of experimenting to figure out how to apply this foundation without it sitting on top of my skin and making pores more noticeable. Even now that I've mostly figured out a way to apply it, I still have days where this just sits unevenly on top of my skin. It's a lot of effort to get this one right. When it works, it leaves the skin soft, radiant, matte, but not chalky or washed out. Sadly, within a few short hours, the entire center of my face is very shiny. I'm used to blotting with all foundations because I have oily skin, but this requires the whole nine yards: blot, repowder, touch-up. Wear time for me was not great and when it started to break down, it didn't do so in a nice way.

It feels rather heavy on the skin, but only gives inconsistent coverage. I don't know how to explain it, but this is both heavy coverage and no coverage all in one. Redness and broken capillaries showed right through, although other imperfections were completely masked.

The bottle always seems to squirt out far more than I need, making it rather wasteful. I do like the tube and feel this is generally a hygienic way of dispensing a cream product, and makes it travel friendly as well.

The lightest 101 shade was not even close to light enough for my pale skin in December. This was made even more noticeable once it oxidized dramatically after a few hours. It would be a better match for me around June, maybe, but due to the poor staying power, I doubt I'd be wearing this during the warmer months. I'm currently wearing it now, in March, before the weather is too hot and I've gotten a little bit of color so I can blend a bit down my neck. But mostly I'm just wearing it to get rid of it, which is not a great reason to use a product.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by emma2312

I really like this product!

I was drawn to the mattifying properties the product seems to have, due to my oily skin.
It is quite a thick consistency which may lead you to believe it will be thick and cakey, however, if you use the right amount of product and work it in nicely, it can make your skin look smooth and flawless.

I find there was a nice colour range, typically I would only be able to find one shade that I could make work, but I could potentially purchase 2 different shades and make them work.

I use this product with a primer and powder. The powder may not be necessary, however I use it just to be safe. Despite these layers and the products thick consistency, it feels light weight.

My main criticism is that it doesn't seem to last the whole day, for me. During a school day, the product on my forehead seems to become a bit patchy.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2014 10:43:00 PM More reviews by hmhanke89

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm trying so hard to like this! I love the mattifying powers this has but the not-quite-right shades and mask-y appearance are turning me off. I've tried it by itself, mixed with various luminizing primers, moisturizer, other foundations, etc but as soon as I have my makeup done I want to wash it all off because it just feels heavy to me. I wish (so bad!) this was a thinner formula with light-medium coverage. I'm fair and even the lightest shade is much too dark and pink- doesn't blend at all with my neck. It does keep my oily skin in check all day, and that's the only reason I continue to experiment with it. Hopefully I'll find a combination that works! Got it at Walgreens for 50% off and a $1 coupon so it was less than $2.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/7/2014 6:19:00 PM More reviews by BrightEyes001

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great foundation! My skin is super oily and every foundation just slides around and comes off by the middle of the day. This doesn't do that! It doesn't keep me fully matte, but nothing ever does. It stays on for about 9 hours before I notice it coming off. Seriously, by the end of the day it looks exactly the same as it did when I applied it that morning!! I use my fingers to apply this all over my face, and then use a stipple brush on my cheeks to help cover scars. My face seriously looks airbrushed! My only complaint is that the shade range is quite pink-toned.

Edit: This cakes up quite badly on and around my nose and makes my pores look huge. Also the color oxidizes to a bright pink (yes, pink!) Reducing to two lippies

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2014 3:24:00 AM More reviews by MacPeetster

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My skin is combination/dry so I didn't expect this foundation to work so well on my skin! I tend to gravitate more towards the more dewy foundations. However, this looks very good on my skin. Especially when wearing a slightly sparkly blush and a highlighter on my cheekbones. I covers my freckles really well, so the coverage is medium to full, which is fantastic. Overall a good foundation for a great price; would repurchase!