April 20, 2014 | 1001 users online

Liquid - Giorgio Armani - Maestro Fusion Makeup

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2012 8:30:00 PM More reviews by jeri55

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I haven't written a review for a few years (probably because I haven't found any product outstanding enough to merit one), but GA Maestro has perked me up and made me want to sing its praises. I'm also hoping this will be particularly helpful to those of us who have been mourning the demise of what was a HG foundation to many on MUA: Estee Lauder Enlighten. (Just to clarify, I had never used an EL foundation before Enlighten and have never used one since, but Enlighten was a truly unique formula). I have spent both years and a small fortune since it was discontinued trying to find a replacement. Since Estee Lauder bought out so many other brands, I figured it was only a matter of time before they brought back the formulation (or even a close facsimile) in one of their other lines or under a different name. So I have relentlessly tried out every single foundation, TM and BB Cream that has been released, always keeping my fingers crossed that SOMETHING would at least strike a chord of similarity. I kept my box with Enlighten's ingredients and have compared them to every new product, to no avail.

Let me be clear: Maestro is in no way a dupe or substitute for Enlighten. But to those who adored one very special quality about that particular formula, I do think it's worth a test drive. From the minute I applied the first drop of Maestro, its liquidity felt similar to the one outstanding thing I loved about my old foundation - and what I have been trying to duplicate - a light, weightless feeling that still offered superb coverage. To me, this is the thing most worth mentioning about Maestro. It goes on watery, yet still magically seems to cover more imperfections than does every one of my heavier foundations. I find it works on both the dry and oily parts of my combination skin, doesn't catch on dry patches and wears perfectly throughout the day. Doesn't oxidize and seems to maybe look even better by the end of the day than it did when it first went on. The liquid texture is what keeps it from sliding into fine lines, so it looks much less aging than a heavier, creamy formula. And it has a perfect finish: dewy, not greasy. It feels clean and almost like nothing on the skin. Works to cover up pores to some degree as well.

I do have two small issues: I find the dropper messy to deal with and think it would have been better packaged in a pump (even with the liquid texture, this could have worked fine) or in a squeeze tube with a pointed tip. And the color selection is a bit vexing: the intensity of 5.5 would be my perfect match, but I need a more yellow undertone. There is no 6.0, so I had to go to 6.5, which is actually a perfect yellow undertone, but is just a little too dark. Wonder what happened to 6.0? And finally: only one thing almost stopped me from even testing Maestro: I am acne-prone and generally do not do well with the ingredient cyclohexasiloxane, especially when it is almost first in the list. But I have not broken out from this and have been wearing it for months now. My theory is that its thin texture is what makes it easier for my skin to tolerate. It is not nearly as occlusive as the other formulas I had difficulties with in the past, so perhaps the liquid formula is light enough to not clog pores.

In any event, this is (in my opinion) one of the actual innovative foundations that has been released in quite some time. So for that reason alone, it is probably worth a try. And to my fellow MUA'ers who have been on a futile search for an Enlighten replacement, I hope this helps fill the void just a little bit:) continued >>

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2012 4:04:00 PM More reviews by sweetcaroline

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation! I buy at least 5 new foundations every year to try...and this one tops the list! For reference I am Asian, golden toned medium skin and I got shade 6.5. My skin is normal to slightly dry (due to Retinol use) and I use moisturizer with SPF underneath the foundation. No need for primer. This stuff floats on then sinks in. I work as a surgical nurse so I wear a face mask at work all day long. Usually my first mask of the day is coated in my foundation (it just transfers right off!) but not with this. THE PIGMENTS STAY all day on your skin and I look just as fresh and even toned after an 8 hour shift as I do when I put it on. I do have to powder my nose once during the day, but that's it. It's super expensive and I can see how the ingredients can aggrevate certain skin types. But it works great with mine. A patient complimented my skin saying that I had the most beautiful skin she's ever seen!! Can't go wrong with that!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2012 6:13:00 PM More reviews by firesyren

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This foundation made my face burn immediately upon application, a burn that felt like a raw, really bad sunburn. Denatured alcohol is the 4th ingredient on the list, so no surprise at the burning feeling. For that reason alone this is not a keeper for me. But there are other factors making this foundation not right for me. I am normal skin with slight oiliness in my t-zone. I have some fine lines around my eyes. I am N15-ish, Chanel .5, Armani LSF 2. I bought maestro in shade 4. In terms of depth of color, shade 4 is slightly dark but would work on my skin. Its a neutral to slightly yellow shade. Were I to buy this again, I'd for sure get shade 2 instead. This is the most runny foundation I've ever used. You don't need a lot of this product per use, and it spreads very easily. Care should be used in dispensing, or you will make a mess. The foundation itself is lightweight and does dramatically reduce the appearance of pores on the skin. It seems to kind of fill in pores like spackle, without the weight. It feels very dry on my skin, almost chalky. However, on me it isn't "skin-like" at all. First, it gave my skin a distinctly grayish cast. i went from glow and health to matte and slightly ill. I wasn't aware that I had dry skin or flakes, but Maestro Fusion foundation made both apparent. I think a good dose of moisturizer would be needed underneath this. This foundation also emphasized all the fine lines around my eyes. My Chanel Mat Lumiere glides over lines; Maestro seems to dry the skin out and make them more harsh. In fact, I looked a good 10 years older in this foundation. All in all, this didn't work for me. I think it would work great for significantly younger skin that is oily and has few skin issues. Personally I avoid harsh skincare products, so my skin isn't used to denatured alcohol. This foundation may not burn someone whose skin has had more exposure to alcohol in products.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2012 11:36:00 AM More reviews by cougess

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I thought I needed to write a positive review to balance on the negativeness in the prior reviews. I'm 45 with combination skin. I love this foundation. However, perhaps the reason it works for me is because I apply it over LeMetier deBeaute's anti-aging day cream so my skin is moisturized when it goes on. After I apply the foundation (with my fingers) I use a light coat of what ever powder I have with me. The foundation lasts all day on me and I do not get shine (probably because of my moisturizer which helps reduce shine). I have some light melasma areas on my lower cheeks but I can cover them up by rubbing on a little extra foundation. I personally like this foundation because although I have coverage, it also gives me more of a no make-up look. I can use either 4.5 or 5.5. I also bought the concealer. The concealer is ok but I would not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm glad I sampled this before buying, although 4.5 was a perfect match for my LSF 5.5, MAC NC25-ish skin. This is a very unique formula--watery and very light on the skin, but with correspondingly light coverage and, on me, a powdery finish. The latter emphasized every pore, dry spot, and tiny wrinkle on my face after about five minutes of wear--and it's still quite hot here in AZ, which means this would be a real disaster in winter when my skin becomes quite dry. In fact, the MA at Neiman's said she does not recommend this foundation for "older" skins (she and I are both 53) for just this reason. Additionally, my face began to itch after an hour or so, and was red when I removed my makeup a few hours later. This may be perfect for some skins, but not mine. I will not purchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2012 5:13:00 PM More reviews by lole_34

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a fun way to mix up your foundation life. It is a unique texture and has a light to medium (if applied heavily) coverage. it blurs your imperfections and evens out skin tone with out looking like make up. I asked my BF what he thought of this foundation and it was his fav since he cant "see" the make up and he hates foundation. The product preforms well but I just feel whelmed about it on my skin. It did not rock my world, I might prefer a more dewy luminous finish then what this gives. For me its a little flat. I feel like I need to dress it up with extra contour and blush to make my skin look alive. I dont plan on returning it but I will not re purchase.

Side not it does build up in dry patches so use a good moisturizer or primer.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2012 3:50:00 AM More reviews by Laski

I was so lucky to get a sample before I bought the full size due to the hype. Ive already tried the foundation on the back of my hand and I actually wanted to buy it right away because it felt like no other foundation I ever tried before. It felt like a serum, spread like a dream, feeling incredibly light and weightless, evening out the skintone perfectly without sinking inot the fine lines at the back of my hand. But now Im glad I held back from impulsive buying. After using up the sample, I have to say that it is probably a good foundation for those who have good skin naturally, but for me, it doesnt have enough coverage. My nose and cheeks are always at least a little reddish due to rosacea, and the foundation just didnt cover this enough, not even with a second layer. On my nose, it also seemed to slide after a few minutes. Otherwise, it felt good, but like said: just not the right product for me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 1:46:00 PM More reviews by BayRidge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

What a let down.

I preface this review by saying that I am an oil fanatic - cleansing, moisturizing, on my scalp, my hair, to shave with, underneath hand creams in the wintertime.... Which led me to think I would adore this product.

Not at all. My skin is in decent shape - a bit of redness, some large-ish pores and some hyper pigmentation but overall I'm okay. But with this foundation, well, its just a struggle. Yes you only need a small amount, but I find the dropper hard to work with because its such a thin liquid. Invariably I waste as it goes everywhere. (I actually think a squeeze bottle like Chanel Aqua VA would have been much better, and easier to travel with.)

And the finish! Its so so shiny. Like plastic shiny. Like my face has been dipped into Crisco shiny. I feel like the shine distracts from the flaws I am trying to cover more than offering any coverage. And yet, it accentuates any dry patches I might have. How bizarre.

The SA at the counter recommended a primer to use with this, but sorry Zio Giorgio, if I"m sending such a chunk of change on a foundation, I expect it to work without a primer. If you're interested in spending a small fortune on a foundation, better to get Luminous Silk & sheer it down with a damp beauty blender - it takes 45 sec instead of 30 and the finish is just so much nicer and more lifelike. At least then you also have a foundation that will also work on days when you need a bit more coverage or that you can layer if necessary.

For the record, I'm a neutral NC-NW 20, Chanel Aqua VA B20 & #5 in maestro is a perfect match.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by Cutie7

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Sadly, I'm really disappointed with this product. I've tried this several times and unfortunately need to return the product. First, I love GA's foundations - was a Luminous Silk devotee then changed to Lasting Silk UV foundation a few years ago.

This product doesn't deliver. First, GA says something to the effect "it's water free" and that "unique oils volatile and non volatile have different drying times and benefit the formulation". Contradictory, there is water in the formulation (near the end) and the oils volatile or not, there is A LOT of alcohol in this formulation. Hence, maybe the drying and drying out of your skin?? Alcohol is listed twice in the ingredients (near the beginning) and quite frankly this foundation looks awful on my skin. I'm in my early 40's and this foundation makes me look older! It sinks into every pore/wrinkle and don't even think about setting it with powder it unless it's a hydrating kind! I tried MUFE and even GA's powder and the foundation looked terrible. A few times I washed it off and started over. Not what I want to be doing with foundation or my time! Also, the coverage is sheer and atleast for me, later in the day, my face feels red and itchy... I also had a few breakouts and just the feeling of my skin with this on - it felt silicony and not soft like other foundations. FYI, I'm not sure what skin type this would be suited for, maybe someone young, with impeccable and normal skin? Eek...dunno

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2012 9:45:00 AM More reviews by sailorj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

SECOND UPDATE!: I've been using this in the extremely hot and humid weather we have been having. It is perfect. Feels much less heavy than other foundations, there is no skin texture issues because of the environment this time of year, and it holds up to the weather. Looks more natural in this weather as compared to when I wore it in the winter, and looks more natural than other foundations I have tried in this weather. I wear it over Skinceuticals Phloretin CF.

UPDATE/EDIT: I still love this foundation BUT, I haven't used it in about a month or so. This is not a winter foundation for me. I have used it on vacation in incredibly hot, humid climates, it holds up. I live in NJ and it's been such a brutally cold and dry winter and even my oily skin needed something a little less matte right now, something with a little slip. I'm using D&G cream foundation, also with the Murad primer (the primer is my only year-round constant). I'll be picking the Maestro up again in the spring when the weather warms and there is some moisture in the air.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: So I waited about three weeks before writing this review of Maestro...I adore this foundation, it absolutely is my HG BUT I have to say I have read so many reviews and just have to remind everyone, as with any foundation, you just have to try it. This is clearly not a formula that will work on everyone, so get a sample, and see how it goes.

I have oily, sensitive skin. I agree that this foundation goes on a bit dull looking. Because of the type of skin I have, after about half an hour, it looks beautiful, and continues to get better throughout the day until about the 7-8 hour mark. I do get oil break through (as I have with everything I have ever used) but I blot with a tissue and it's fine. The foundation does not separate on me, and I am still confident at the end of the day with the face I am putting forward. I can't feel this on my face, there is no sensitivity for me, and so many foundations feel either heavy or itchy on my face. I look like I have beautiful skin. I find the coverage to be just shy of medium, but not light. I have not had any breakouts from this.

This foundation will absolutely highlight any dry patches on your skin-I was horrified the first time I put it on. But I thought my best course of action was to treat the dry patches that I didn't even know I had as I really loved how the foundation wore. I started using Bobbi Brown's face oil in conjunction with the retinol treatment I use at night, and I also cut back on the retinol use. My skin is more even toned with no flaky skin as a result.

I don't know what color I am in MAC-it's been so long. But I have always been Warm Ivory in Bobbi Brown foundations in the winter, Sand and Warm Sand in the summer. In the dead of winter I will be a 2 in the Maestro-with my summer color a 4 or 4.5. Right now I am in between but give me a couple weeks and I will strictly be at 2. I also have seen the reverse oxidation on this foundation, and as my oil comes through during the day it does not get darker.

Try it if you are normal to oily, might want to skip it if you are dry, unless you have a moisturizing primer that you trust. I do like to use this foundation with Murad's mattifying primer, my personal HG.

Good luck!