April 16, 2014 | 1871 users online

Liquid - Clinique - Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2012 7:19:00 PM More reviews by PiMehMeh

Stay Matte Oil-Free Liquid Foundation is easy to apply, sets quickly to a matte finish, and is comfortable to wear throughout the day. Clinique claims that this foundation was tested in 88°F/80% humidity conditions and while the weather conditions where I live exceed that (95°F–105°F in the summer), this foundation—without a matte setting powder—fares better than other foundations and BB creams by the end of the day. The coverage is medium but because this has a matte finish and dries quickly, it's easily buildable to full coverage, which is great because I don't have to reach for a separate concealer to cover things like dark under-eye circles, acne scars, and other dark spots.

In my current residency's slightly hotter climates, however, this foundation could not control shine all day on its own as I had hoped. By itself, it controlled shine for about 5–6 hours before I had to blot. With a matte setting powder over it, I had a more significantly impressive shine control time at around 8–10 hours. Those in cooler climates are likely to have longer shine control time.

Despite varying lengths of shine control wear time, the staying power of this foundation's pigment is true to its all-day claim. I have not noticed oxidation or fading by the end of the day. While I tested this foundation in climates hotter than Clinique had tested, this foundation is probably an excellent choice for those in the tested 88°F-climate range or cooler, with combo-oily or oily skin. I also recommend that it be set with a matte powder for extra insurance especially in humid weather.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 12:55:00 PM More reviews by morphinization

I tried this foundation in vanilla (which is a perfect match for me in superbalanced but just a tad orangey in this) as I get shiny areas around my nose and forehead, but it the consistency felt very heavy as if it were a mousse, and I found it didn't help my shine at all. Also, I could see all my peach fuzz around my hairline, it didn't blend well and it seemed as if it made my pores look more defined--which is a bad thing. Then again, I'm partial to 'runnier' foundations as I feel they blend better and feel natural afterwards, the heavier ones like stay-matte kind of sit on the skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 11:57:00 PM More reviews by Anniemoliviatis

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I Really love this product, i bought this and was a bit unsure weather i would like it because the sales lady told me it was sheer coverage. But i must say i do like the texture of the foundation the matte finish and it really lasts as long as it says it does i went out in the heat for about 7 hours and when i got home it was still on my face and didnt look daggy it still looked fresh!?!?!
Im very impressed by this prouct! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2012 11:20:00 PM More reviews by josephinegarcia210

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

with my primer this make up stayed with no problem all day it was good for my skin and by my suprise it did not make me break out as almost every thing does. this liquid is great the coverage is buildable and does not look cakey at all such as other brands do. i really liked but it was a bit on the pink side for my skin. and i had touse a owder to set it and give it a soft look

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2012 11:48:00 PM More reviews by Journey03

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This in my opinions is just "eeh". i went to my local clinique counter to see if there was anything new and exciting and told the SA i was looking for a long wearing foundation that will cover my "flaws" and look great all day. she directed me to this foundation and picked the color Golden Neutral just like the even better line. the match was good, although not a great as the EB although it's the same color name. Staying power was just OK but again, by the end of a 10 hour day it definitely rubbed off and you can TELL it rubbed off my chin, nose and cheeks. it did cling to my dry patches on my mouth and chin and was not very attractive at all. I suppose since it was a matte foundation, it was geared more for the oily gals- not me. i am dry/sensitive and i told the SA but she still insisted i try this. I only used this for a handful of times- its going to my "misses" drawers along with the other failed attempts of foundation. how sad.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2012 9:45:00 AM More reviews by NKS

Love this product!!!! Prior to this I had never used any Clinique products before including skincare stuff except the odd lip gloss. But this has changed the way I think about the brand too and I've since revisited to look at other potions.

I work in a fairly humid environment with a lot of running around all day and I usually find that most foundations have slipped off my nose entirely and caked in patchy areas around my chin and forehead.

First thing that I am delighted with is the colour match. I'm not an easy match it turns out and often have to settle for something a little lighter, then use a little bronzer to darken it or vice versa. It's an absolute pain. But this colour match is so good and the mattifying component is so reliable that after I've applied it, I don't set it with any powder but take a transluscent one with me to blot with if required. My skin looks softer, clearer, much less greasy and I wear it from 10-12 hours a day. I haven't had any breakouts specific to this product but I always get the odd spot or two from wearing any liquid foundation.

And a little goes a long long way. I only use a pea sized amount to get coverage for my whole face and that's not because I don't have a lot to cover up (trust me I do!) but because this gives good coverage from a lot less. Also the colour doesn't change as the day goes on like some foundations which become a lot darker as they oxidise over time.

This has made me really happy and even though I like to experiment and no doubt will keep trying out other products, it's definitely one I'll keep coming back to.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2012 1:40:00 PM More reviews by paoaguilar94

I have combination (somewhat oily) skin and this has been great at reducing the shine, I do have to blot a little throughout the day but it does a great job to control it. The coverage is amazing because it can be from sheer- medium to buildable depending on how much you apply, which is great for me because I dont really suffer from acne except for a pimple or two now and then. This does not break me out btw. I highly recommend this for young girls (im 18) because it looks fresh and natural, its not cakey at all. It lasts a lot, maybe not the whole day but most of it. You should definitely try it

rated 2 of 5 on 9/21/2012 1:16:00 AM More reviews by lzphill

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product. It is easy to apply and there is a wide range of colors to make sure you get a perfect match. Coverage is great and the finish is very natural and youthful overall. You also get a good amount of product in the tube, since you don't have to apply much. Now for the downside..... At first I was pleased with the product. I have extremely oily areas to my skin (T-zone, areas to right and left of nose, and chin) and this doesn't get rid of shine totally if its really hot outside but the oil will dry up once one cools off if you do tend to sweat a lot. All was well and I had switched from the only other foundation that has ever worked for my EXTREMELY acne prone skin (adult hormonal acne that also flares up with products it doesn't like), the Clinique City Base compact foundation. That was until I started getting pimples and blackheads all over my face, particularly in the chin, forehead, and between my nose and cheeks areas. Now, I have little blackheads and bumps all over and several painful cysts that aren't too visible but only because they are still under the skin. Guess I will be ditching what I have left of this product and going back to the City Base and use of oil blotting sheets. A light sheen and the need to blot beats massive breakouts consisting of bumps and painful cysts any day! I caution against the use of this product to anyone who has extremely acne prone skin!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2012 10:12:00 PM More reviews by AntiqueGlitter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Maybe it's because of my primer, or maybe because it's my weird combination skin, but this foundation just...isn't matte. I know matte, and this isn't it. If anything, it has a cross between a luminous and a satin finish.
But, you know, it's weird, because even though it's not matte, it really does control oil. I was running a mile under 85-degree heat, direct sunshine, and by the time I was done, I did have a little bit of a sheen, but I wasn't completely oily like I would expect.
It really doesn't make sense to me how a non-matte foundation can control oil, but who cares as long as it works, right?
The coverage is great as well. It has a medium buildable coverage that is really nice--it's enough to even out my skintone and cover up some blemishes. I still need a concealer for some dark spots, but that's fine with me.
The shade Beige is a pretty good match for me. I'm NC35 in MAC, and Beige is a little too neutral for me, but it's not too noticeable as long as I avoid direct sunlight lol. Anywho, I can just fix that problem by setting it with a powder with yellow undertones or mixing it with a foundation with yellow undertones.
I also love how it's oil-free, and the price (only TWENTY THREE fricken dollars! How cheap is that?!) makes it a definite steal.
Would I repurchase? No, because I already have way way way way too many foundations.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2012 9:05:00 PM More reviews by istyleit

I have been using this for about a week. I love love the color of it (im a 7) it looks great on my skin....does not in any way make me oily. But I have to admit the staying power is average. MUF HD stays on way better but after using MUF for a year I think its breaking me out. I dont mind reapplying a little at the end of my day before evening because it doesnt break me out. Anyways yes i would buy it again.