Maybelline Eye Studio Master Precise Ink Pen Liner

3.5

on 1/9/2014 7:40:00 PM

I'm on the hunt for my HG liquid eyeliner. I prefer ink pens like this one, and while I love the thin tapered point of this, the product overall leaves much to be desired. The liner from the get go is more of a soft black and after a few uses, the tip of the pen started to dry out. After only 2 months, I'm pitching mine in the trash because it no longer produces opaque crisp looks. The formula on my moderately oily lids, even with primer, begins to fade after a few hours and I have had a few instances of severe smudging when I try to line all the way to my inner tear duct. Too bad, since the pen itself is the perfect shape.

on 1/5/2014 1:57:00 PM

Good stuff! It's the easiest to apply liquid liner I've used. The shape of the felt tip is great. My winged liner looks amazing! I like how dark black, inky, and smooth it is as well. My one complaint is that the tip runs out of ink in it while I'm using it and there's no way to make more come into it.

on 12/29/2013 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Overall, it's worked pretty well. I love the precise thin edge that this eyeliner boasts and the opaqueness of the formula. It also doesn't smudge at all, but still comes off very easily by using water! Make up remover not necessary!

However, my complaint about the formula of the eyeliner is that it isn't very long lasting. Even with primer, this eyeliner wears thin after a few hours. Without primer, this eyeliner becomes very thin within half an hour on my oily eyelids.

Also, another thing to note about this product is that the fine point of the eyeliner appears to dry up quickly. After 4-5 uses of the eyeliner, I had to press down harder on the thick points of the liner to refresh the tip. Maybe that says something about the amount of product there is inside?

Definitely worth the ~$8 I paid for.

on 12/27/2013 11:32:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This eyeliner is really easy to use and makes it a lot easier to apply eyeliner. I don't often buy maybelline products as I have heard they sometimes test there products on animals but as I bought this before I heard I mays we'll use it however because I don't believe in animal testing I won't be purchasing this product againšŸ˜¢

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

*edit*
PROS
-VERY easy to use, great for creating wings
-Does not fray / lose shape because of the stiffish bristles (yay! not felt)
-Generous amount of product (1.1g) compared to other pen eyeliners e.g. stila, Kat von D which have about have the amt.
-Cheap

CONS
-Dries out quickly
-Very UNresistant to water/sweat (will smudge/disappear). If I just use this eyeliner on my somewhat oily lids and accidentally wipe my eye, esp. the inner corner it will definitely smudge. It normally disappears in my inner corners anyway on its own but every eyeliner I've used so far has either faded/disappeared there. (haven't tried a waterproof liquid eyeliner yet)
-Although it is not long lasting, it smudges everywhere when you try and take it off
-Not that black

Rate: 3.5/5
Probably repurchase (I've gone through 4 already!) because I cant justify spending 2x the price for half the amt of product... maybe I'll cave in to the Kat von D one soon though

on 11/24/2013 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was my first liquid liner so I didn't really know what to expect. I bought this over a year ago,and now that I how to use make up a bit more, I think I can finally give this eyeliner a worthy review.
When I first used it, I hated it. I used this for my graduation photos, and now all my photos have black smudges beneath my lower lash line.

I have Asian...folded eyes, so it's hard for me to do very dramatic makeup. When I used this liner, with or without shadow, it would 'touch' the fold in my eyelid, and leave a mark... I guess it smudged/creased. It's not waterproof so if it gets wet, it runs.

However, after not using for a really long time, I decided to give it a try again.
This time, I made sure that I didn't make the liner too thick. I drew it well below my fold/crease so that the liner would not be in contact with any other part of my eye, and damn. That made a big difference. I didn't have any troubles with smudges anymore. It no longer smudged to the top of my lid, leaving angry mark. I I will admit that by the end of the day, the liner does wear off. It usually lasts until work or school is over, but it won't last until night. By maybe 6or 8, it will have smudged around the edges.
As for my school photo conundrum, I believe I had black smudges because I used a pencil liner underneath this liner. Never again.

Overall, I think it's pretty okay. It's not a very true black liner, but I definitely did not experience problems with drying out. It only became translucent AFTER I used it for a very long time. This liner is only starting to run out now and I bought this in the summer/early fall of 2012? Although I didn't use this for several months, I think it lasted pretty long. I used this everyday for an accumulated total of maybe 8-9 months? Maybe a bit less?

I think that if your eyelids do not fold, then you should give this a shot. Try making very thin lines with this liner as it works for everyday makeup looks when you don't want to use up your expensive stuff.

on 11/10/2013 1:10:00 AM

i dont know why, every day i get dark liner under my eyes from this! i have to always wipe my undereyes!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ok so i had initially planned on getting the Maybelline Stiletto eyeliner, but i saw this and bought it instead (I always do that). I'll start with what I like; I love the applicator on this, it's very thin, so i can draw a thinner line, and build it up when i want a thicker one. I also like the packaging, not bulky so you can throw it in your bag for touch ups. And that's what i suggest, because for me, the formula did not work :( It smudges very easily and although it's not watery, its not very black, you have to layer it on if you want it to be very dark. I wanted to like this SO BAD but it didn't work too well for me, and its starting to dry out!!! & I've only had it for about 3 months and don't use it daily

on 11/4/2013 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ran out in less than 3 weeks with me only using it 4 times a week. Disappointed as it dried out very quickly and the tip bends, which means the straight line I try and draw is often not so straight. If you're looking into buying this product, look somewhere else as it dries out very very quickly, and I found it wasn't very black.

on 10/29/2013 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

ugh idk the tip is all dried out and ive had it for less than a month. it doesnt come off black enough and the pen streaks