August 23, 2014 | 1954 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2013 9:18:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'd been waiting since I got the RT Travel set for Walmart to restock these brushes. Well, when I went and got this, it was the ONLY one left - they'd clearly got more and sold out in no time flat. Real Techniques is clearly a very popular product here in Canada (as everywhere else, from the sound of it) and for very good reason.

My reason for wanting to buy this set was so I could get the BUFFING BRUSH, which, like all the brushes in the sets, cannot be purchased individually, which I think is very annoying. Most of us use 2 or 3 brushes to apply eye shadow and so need multiples of those but don't need quite so many foundation, cheek or powder brushes, so I really hope at some point, at least more of the eye shadow brushes will be available to buy singly. Anyway, on to the Buffing Brush. When I first used it - with my MAC Matchmaster foundation - I was SO disappointed. The results were very uneven and patchy and the brush did not blend the product well at all. Matchmaster is always a tricky foundation to use since when I first apply it, I think something dreadful has occurred because of the alarming orange colour! I never trust that within a few minutes, the shade will adjust. I guess I need to use this foundation more often, just to reassure myself. But still, this brush didn't apply the foundation nicely at all. I have since used it with Clarins foundation and the results were just "okay". I noticed that at the RT site, Sam Chapman never recommends this for liquid foundations but always for powder products and that has been my experience with this brush. It is excellent for applying finishing powders (Nars pressed finishing powder) and for pressed mineral powder foundations. I also like it for applying some powder blushes and blending/buffing them so they look really natural and I end up looking like my colour is coming from within. But for liquid foundation (which, again, isn't what it's recommended for), it doesn't hold a candle to my Shiseido foundation brush or the other excellent ones from RT. PRETTY GOOD brush.

I really love the tiny POINTED FOUNDATION BRUSH in this set. While it is way too smalll for applying foundation, especially if you're pressed for time, it is just great for blending out under-eye concealer - I use MAC Pro Longwear and this brush will blend out the small amount of that product that you actually need to give a really good effect. GREAT brush

The very tiny DETAIL BRUSH is perfect for me for applying shadow under my lower lashes. I am well over 50 and need to be careful that shadow applied under my eyes doesn't go down too low or it looks like under-eye circles or just drags my face down. This very small but dense brush allows you to put the shadow only where you want it. GREAT brush.

I'm not heavily into contouring. I'd love to make my face look thinner and more sculpted, but usually, I just end up looking like I've 2 smears of dirt on my face. But with the CONTOUR BRUSH, using a bronzer or contour powder to bring a bit of definition and warmth to my face is now a real possibility. This brush is also fabulous for applying highlighter in a controlled way to give a flattering result. GREAT brush.

I have quite a few pretty pricey cosmetic brush and don't get me wrong - I love them. The MAC 130, 239 and 217 are amazing brushes that I use all the time. But these brushes that Sam Chapman has developed are giving all my pricier brushes serious competition because they are so good, perform better than I'd ever have expected and give amazing results for a very affordable price. I'm lucky to be able to afford more costly brushes but actually prefer using some of the RT brushes over my more costly ones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2013 11:07:00 PM More reviews by lechickpea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so so happy to see this, along with the Real Techniques travel set, at my Wal Mart in Toronto. No surprise here- but these brushes are wonderfully soft and effective makeup brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 1:41:00 AM More reviews by kiwiteddybear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros:
- soft
- affordable
- multi tasking
- great with cream / powder product
- did not irritate skin
- synthetic
- support fellow YouTube gurus
- no bleeding
- no shedding

Cons:
- difficult to find in Canada

I love these brushes along with their other travel sets. They are super soft and I can use the brushes for a variety of different ways. The only one i don't use is the foundation brush, I much prefer the Sigma F80 flat top kabuki or the buffing brush that comes with the set for foundation. Worth every penny

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2013 5:32:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

I don't find the set being very useful. The only brush I do use often enough is the biggest one. It serves me well for applying liquid application.
The smallest one should be good for detail application, lips for example, but I don't seem to grab for it often. Don't use the rest either.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 1:14:00 PM More reviews by Ebecks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great brushes and price! I love all of these brushes. They don't shed and can be used for multiple purposes. It took some experimenting to find out how each would work into my routines but now I couldn't live without!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by mimi822

Ladies, these brushes are so incredible. I absolutely love these. I have purchased so many brushes including MAC and SIGMA. These are an incredible value. I ordered all of mine from iherb and with the code QLV352 you get ten dollars off!!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by notevangelista

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

What a fabulous set of brushes! I love and use each and every one of these regularly, and I'm extremely glad I made this purchase.
Reasonably priced for 4 high-quality brushes with an excellent, practical case, this collection is totally worth it. Here are my short, individual reviews of each brush:
- Detailer brush: This is a helpful little brush for precise application for spots, lips, and even for highlighting the inner corner of the eye or the cupid's bow.
- Pointed foundation brush: Useless for foundation, in my opinion, but perfect for concealer. I just spritz it with a touch of water, and then use it to dab the concealer under my eyes, using my finger and the brush for a flawless finish. It's really gentle and soft, and I find that I've removed any tugging from my under-eye area during concealer application thanks to this brush.
- Contour brush: This is a brush I have a bit of a problem with, but I do like to use this with highlight powders, it's very good for a nice, concentrated highlight. This is also good for applying the contour powder or bronzer (I guess, I don't wear it much myself), but not for blending it out... atleast not for me. But still, a five-star brush! I've also seen some people use it as a concealer brush, this isn't for me, but I've never been too good at applying concealer with a fuller brush.
- Buffing brush: The star of this collection! There is nothing this brush can't fix or do. Foundation, blusher, bronzer... it's a blending star for that flawless, natural looking face. Applying make-up has become really stress-free for me, I think this is one of those products that makes applying product really easy regardless of the product, the make-up artists's theory that a superior brush even makes not-so-expensive products look expensive. This has been my experience with this brush.

These are super easy to clean, super-soft, taklon-bristle brushes that do not shed at all, hold product well and are just all round stars! Could not recommend them any more!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by whereismymind59

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

FANTASTIC brushes. Every model I have used these on has commented on how soft they feel on the skin. Not only that but they spread, buff, and layer product flawlessly. I have washed these many times and have yet to see even one brush hair shed. To top everything off these are super affordable. To be honest I would pay triple how much these cost if I had to.

Plus the case they come in can be converted into a brush stand which is handy and super cute!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by leserpent

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The main reason I bought this set was that I needed a contouring brush. I actually wanted an angled contouring brush but thought I get 4 different brushes at a price I'd probably pay for one angled contouring brush made by some other brand, and all these good reviews on MUA about these... I'll give it a try. Delightfully I discovered these brushes are indeed great.
I discovered what a wonderful tool is a concealer brush - I never used one, but it's so great for putting the concealer to just the right place under my eyes and I only need really tiny bit of product with this.
The contouring brush is the right size for my small face and gets the job done.
The buffing brush made me understand why buffing is great. I go over my foundation quickly with it to eliminate any concrete lines and it's great. I used to have an E.L.F. buffing brush which was too big for my face, flat, and I never really "got it". The right size and the dome shape makes all the difference. Also, the bristles are more dense and at the same time softer.
The foundation brush is the least favourite of the bunch and I haven't really used it so far.
Shape wise I would have preferred if the brushes had these typical narrowing end handles, these flat ones are a bit inconvenient to slide into the rubber band holder and into the case.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2013 9:21:00 AM More reviews by Dee987

These brushes truely live up to the hype. All four do not shed. None of them scratch. Comes with a handy travel case which I use as a stand to dry my brushes.

- These brushes were cheap off iherb.com. Australia is so expensive!!!!! $5 off Coupon code: ZEH931 ($10 off purchase if you spend over $40)

-The FLAT TOP is great for foundation. I use my RT expert brush when this is dirty. I prefer this one than Sedona Lace's flat top.

- CONTOUR brush is super soft so I tend to pinch the brush while contouring. You can use this brush for blush if you have small cheek bones like me.

- CONCEALER brush is small and precise. I use this for concealer or cream eye shadows/base. The handle is super thin too.

- FOUNDATION/Paddle brush is my least fav. It's quite small and has a pointed tip. It's not as dense as Sigma's foundation brush. I used to use this for undereye concealer but then forgot about it.