November 24, 2014 | 2001 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 1:25:00 AM More reviews by lizzea

Really soft, durable, affordable and well shaped makeup brushes for the face. A minimal kit of basic face essentials that should satisfy any beginner or novice makeup lover. I really like how the brushes are colour coded, it's a nice, cute touch to each of the sets. I hope there are more brushes in the works!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by wendycoco

So thrilled to have been able to finally buy this in Canada! I mainly purchased for the buffing brush and was going to get it off eBay for probably what this brush collection cost me. So I'm happy. Main brushes I use are the buffing brush and contouring. I use buffing brush for my Rimmel matte powder (doesn't work with applying foundation on me :( ). I use the contouring brush actually for applying blush. It works great for that! The foundation brush it comes with is useless. I have tried it with concealer but it just applied far to much product and I have yet to find a use for the other little brush that comes with it. Brushes r so soft and amazing to clean, they litteraly look brand new. I use shampoo too clean then I condition them. I've also yet to notice any shedding. I am extremely happy with this purchase and reason why it lost a mark is because I can't use all the brushes it's really to bad the buffing brush wasn't sold separately. But for $18 bucks it's more then worth it to buy the set even if all you want is that brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2013 8:36:00 AM More reviews by Dieuthuy

Love love love this brush colection! Especially the buffing brush (use it every day to apply my bb cream)! All these brushes are sooo soft and the price is really low. I haven't tried brush of other brands (like Sigma or M.A.C) but I can't imagine how better they can be.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by n1ks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

A great brush set from Pixiwoo's Sam Chapman. Comes in a nice brush holder that makes it really convenient to travel with, and also doubles as a stand on a vanity counter. I also use the brush holder to dry the brushes upside down.
Really great value compared to other makeup brushes. Favourite ones are the Buffing Brush and Contour Brush - two brushes I absolutely cannot live without now! Other brushes in the set are the angled foundation brush which is too small for actual foundation application but great for concealing the under eye area, and the detailer brush which doubles as a pinpoint concealing brush or lip brush.
Easy to clean, dries very fast, nice length of handles and the slightly rubberized ends give you a nice grip on the brushes.
Definitely would recommend this set along with the Real Techniques starter set collection if you're looking for an affordable, high quality and versatile set of makeup brushes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2013 9:38:00 AM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a huge fan of Pixiwoo and other youtube channels/blogs like Kate's Beauty Blog, Gh0stparties and Essiebutton where they are always using these brushes. I didn't realize at first that Sam Chapman from Pixiwoo actually made this brush line, and thankfully they became available at Target and Walmart in Canada! I went out and bought this set for $18, which is a killer deal, as it has all of my basic face brush essentials. These brushes are soft and aesthetically nice looking, and after trying them I concluded that they definitely deliver!! I used the buffing brush to apply my Nars tinted moisturizer this morning, the concealer brush with my Mac Studio Finish concealer and I actually used the contour brush to highlight my cheekbones with my Mac Mineralized Skinfinish. I haven't used the foundation brush yet, as I don't often wear foundation, but seriously, these brushes are amazing!! What a great value. I have been purchasing Mac, Clinic and Bobbi Brown brushes for the past few years, and I can honestly say that these Real Techniques brushes are not only inexpensive, but they work better!! I will stay loyal to this brand forever and I look forward to buying the blush brush next. ;)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2013 10:11:00 PM More reviews by wq13

After hearing all about these Real Techniques brushes on YouTube and whatnot, I decided to buy the Core collection.
I've used it for about a week now and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. The buffing brush actually kinda hurts to use! Even my ELF brushes are softer! The foundation brush is absolutely useless. I have tried to blend my undereye concealer with it and it didn't work out. The detailer brush is alright. I use to to apply dark brown eyeshadow as an eyeliner. Works fine. The only brush i really like is the contour brush. It's perfect for contouring.
Not sure if I'll buy more real techniques brushes after this...

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by matinaki1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like the core collection! The brushes are handy, easily washable and in great shape after one year of daily use.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2013 7:41:00 AM More reviews by Heyycasablanca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in love with these brushes. I have been watching Sam and her sister Nic on youtube for years and was so excited to try Sam's brushes. She did not disappoint! I have only tried the core collection but I plan on trying more.My favorite brush in this collection is the buffing brush because it gives my foundations an airbrushed appearance. The pointed foundation brush is a little impractical in size but I love it for concealer or applying primer. The contour brush I love for concealing under my eyes and the detail brush is lovely for eyeshadow on small eyelids or concealing small area. All of the brushes are incredibly soft and very sleek. I prefer real technique brushes over my sigma brushes!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2013 9:18:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'd been waiting since I got the RT Travel set for Walmart to restock these brushes. Well, when I went and got this, it was the ONLY one left - they'd clearly got more and sold out in no time flat. Real Techniques is clearly a very popular product here in Canada (as everywhere else, from the sound of it) and for very good reason.

My reason for wanting to buy this set was so I could get the BUFFING BRUSH, which, like all the brushes in the sets, cannot be purchased individually, which I think is very annoying. Most of us use 2 or 3 brushes to apply eye shadow and so need multiples of those but don't need quite so many foundation, cheek or powder brushes, so I really hope at some point, at least more of the eye shadow brushes will be available to buy singly. Anyway, on to the Buffing Brush. When I first used it - with my MAC Matchmaster foundation - I was SO disappointed. The results were very uneven and patchy and the brush did not blend the product well at all. Matchmaster is always a tricky foundation to use since when I first apply it, I think something dreadful has occurred because of the alarming orange colour! I never trust that within a few minutes, the shade will adjust. I guess I need to use this foundation more often, just to reassure myself. But still, this brush didn't apply the foundation nicely at all. I have since used it with Clarins foundation and the results were just "okay". I noticed that at the RT site, Sam Chapman never recommends this for liquid foundations but always for powder products and that has been my experience with this brush. It is excellent for applying finishing powders (Nars pressed finishing powder) and for pressed mineral powder foundations. I also like it for applying some powder blushes and blending/buffing them so they look really natural and I end up looking like my colour is coming from within. But for liquid foundation (which, again, isn't what it's recommended for), it doesn't hold a candle to my Shiseido foundation brush or the other excellent ones from RT. PRETTY GOOD brush.

I really love the tiny POINTED FOUNDATION BRUSH in this set. While it is way too small for applying foundation, especially if you're pressed for time, it is just great for blending out under-eye concealer - I use MAC Pro Longwear and this brush will blend out the small amount of that product that you actually need to give a really good effect. GREAT brush

The very tiny DETAIL BRUSH is perfect for me for applying shadow under my lower lashes. I am well over 50 and need to be careful that shadow applied under my eyes doesn't go down too low or it looks like under-eye circles or just drags my face down. This very small but dense brush allows you to put the shadow only where you want it. GREAT brush.

I'm not heavily into contouring. I'd love to make my face look thinner and more sculpted, but usually, I just end up looking like I've 2 smears of dirt on my face. But with the CONTOUR BRUSH, using a bronzer or contour powder to bring a bit of definition and warmth to my face is now a real possibility. This brush is also fabulous for applying highlighter in a controlled way to give a flattering result. GREAT brush.

I have quite a few pretty pricey cosmetic brush and don't get me wrong - I love them. The MAC 130, 239 and 217 are amazing brushes that I use all the time. But these brushes that Sam Chapman has developed are giving all my pricier brushes serious competition because they are so good, perform better than I'd ever have expected and give amazing results for a very affordable price. I'm lucky to be able to afford more costly brushes but actually prefer using some of the RT brushes over my more costly ones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2013 11:07:00 PM More reviews by lechickpea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so so happy to see this, along with the Real Techniques travel set, at my Wal Mart in Toronto. No surprise here- but these brushes are wonderfully soft and effective makeup brushes.