April 21, 2014 | 1506 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - HD High Definition Eyeshadow Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2011 3:35:00 PM More reviews by bbybreanna

LOVE this! i have oily eyelids, but when i use this under eyeshadow there's no creasing, smearing, and it lasts all day! i used revlon's cream eyeshadow over this and it did crease, although cream eyeshadows crease alot. i got this for like $5.99, it's definitley a steal compared to the urban decay primer potion. it works as a primer and a base, i don't understand why people say it doesn't work as a primer so it makes me shadow lasts all day! i'd definitley recommend this! :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 12:54:00 PM More reviews by funnygirl131

I have compared Nyx ,urban decay and jesse's girl shadow primers ... They are all basically the same consistency and do the same job of intensifying eye shadows and keeping them on for a long time. I did a water and oil test and they all held up but udpp faded the most whereas the drugstore versions held up alot better without fading especially the nyx one. jesse's girl comes in a square black tube,I dont love the tube, but its not horrible 0.16 oz,nyx in a round one (cruelty free a plus for me) 0.28 oz and udpp in a genie bottle of sorts lol.I still have to try the ELF version ,but for me I will be sticking with the less inexpensive versions ;-)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2011 7:09:00 AM More reviews by dadarodriguez

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've tried UDPP and this product works just the same though less drying.Makes blending easier than if you use UDPP. Makes eyeshadow last all day ( don't have oily lids but i live in the tropics, very humid), prevents creasing, make colors pop. will definitely buy again.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2011 12:44:00 PM More reviews by appletea

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like UD's Primer Potion but the packaging really turns me off. The design makes it difficult to get out a reasonable amount of product and I suspect a lot of the primer gets wasted because of the shape of the bottle. I decided to try this once I ran out of Primer Potion. This stuff works equally as well with a better packaging design and a much more attractive price. In fact, I think I might like this slightly more than Primer Potion because not only does my eye makeup last all day and longer, it doesn't make it more difficult to remove. I felt like Primer Potion was almost too good at what it did, if that makes sense. At any rate, I highly recommend this and will definitely buy more when my current stock runs dry.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2011 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Silrayan

Like others have said, this works just as well as Urban Decay.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2011 2:06:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great eye shadow primer. I have used TFSI (too greasy) and UDPP and NARS (makes shadows hard to blend) and this is like the best of both worlds, for a cheaper price. Love! Sometimes, my shadows will still crease after many hours, but I don't like how the other primers feel like they dry out my eye lids, especially the NARS one. Also, this is the economical choice at the moment.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/24/2011 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Julysbaby

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've tried UDPP, Loreac, and Two-Faced and now this one. Never again. It creases after an hour and I know I have oily skin, but this is ridiculous and I paid $6.99! I put it on, waited, then applied NYX cream eyeshadow pencil and it was a disaster. For the record, Two-Faced is the best, then Loreac. UDPP is ok.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2011 10:46:00 PM More reviews by Jackie7354

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this for the first time today and I am in love with the results. My eyeshadow held up all day with no creasing or fading. Some youtube gurus are claiming this is equal to UDPP, however I have never used that product, so I can't make any type of comparison. I would definitely buy this again, the quality, the price and the availability (found it at Ulta) can't be beat!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2011 10:14:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I bought this before it came to Ulta (online) and once it was in the store. It was roughly the same price (excluding shipping). I'm happy I did. I was looking for something better than UDPP. While I like UDPP it can be on the drying side for my lids. TFSI can be too watery (although the tube is a fantastic idea; why didn't NYX go this way!?). So I attempted to use the NYX eyeshadow base along with the jumbo pencils too. Both creased on me (setting it with Smashbox photo finishing powder prevents this a lot but it still slightly does it). So I switched to this shadow base. It does not crease. It is not dry or watery. It holds my eyeshadow on all day. What more do you want from an eyeshadow base?

Note: I did give the packaging a 3. It seems to have similar problems with UDPP. I can't get all the product out!
12/25/11 update: I have since tucked this away in a drawer because I'm now using the ELF eyeshadow primer ($1 one). ELF is very similar to this but has a smoother texture when being applied. Also Ulta (where NYX is sold) is a good hour's drive for me while Target is about 15minutes. I think Target & ELF win on this one.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2011 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Walhalla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This primer definitely works! I've been using it for almost 2 months now (not everyday, though), alternating with UDPP. It's easy to apply and spread over and around the entire lid (a lot less thick and viscous than UDPP). It's a bit sticky, but eyeshadows are still very easy to apply and blend on the lid. I was a bit worried at first because I have red eyelids + visible red/blue veins and this primer is transparent when applied to the lids. It doesn't really even out skin tone either. However, any shadow applied on top becomes opaque and pigmented (unless it's supposed to be sheer), so I don't need to use concealer or anything like that between the primer and eyeshadows. It doesn't smooth out lines, or whatever else is claimed on the packaging, but it holds the eyeshadows in place until the next morning. I don't have oily eyelids, though, so it might be different for those who do.
EDIT: After using it throughout the summer, I noticed that on particularly hot and humid days, my eyeshadow would crease by the end of the day (same thing happens with UDPP for me). Still better than if I hadn't used any primer, but I removed one lippie.