July 30, 2014 | 1183 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Stippling Brush

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2013 9:59:00 PM More reviews by PetiteAndChic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For someone on a budget these brushes are affordable and well worth it.
I go to ulta where they are widely sold and shop with a coupon to take a few dollars off to save some mollah.
This stippling brush was very pleasing, when I first bought it I had doubts but when I used it I was very impressed with how it worked to make my foundation glide on easy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Xaephan

The best stippling brush I own, hands down!

The bristles aren't too soft, but doesn't hurt my face. The white bristles also aren't too sparse, so I get good coverage with foundation. The best part is how short the bristles are--it makes so that the brush doesn't have too much give, so buffing is easy and flawless. Also doesn't soak up too much product.

Overall, one of my favourite brushes from this brand.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 10:17:00 PM More reviews by Sophina1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This brush is a make up god-send! Used many different types of foundation brushes but this was my first stipple brush and nothing sets my foundation in place as well as this.
It doesn't go on streaky like the conventional foundation brushes and really helps in giving you that airbrushed/flawless look.
Bottom line: LOVE! MUST HAVE BRUSH. Can't wait to try their other brushes

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 2:49:00 AM More reviews by bbybreanna

compared to other stippling brushes, like the mac 187 or elf studio flat top powder brush, this is very small! it's duo fibered with very soft hairs that NEVER shed. i use this to apply estee lauder double wear foundation. the brush itself is pink and the bottom is flat which is easier to store. i feel like because the brush is so small, it makes my foundation routine take longer, and prefer something bigger. but all in all, its a good soft brush and my first RT brush. it was under $10 at ulta, i can't remember the exact price, so for such a good quality brush the price is great!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 6:18:00 AM More reviews by itsjustjess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Been following pixiwoo for a while and have been looking to build up my brush collection. I freaking adore Sam.

I just got a new Dr Jart BB cream and realised that my current brush wasn't cutting it. I grabbed this bad boy in priceline for $22 (why must australia be so expensive fml).

I understand this brush is for 'stippling' but I have seen it used in the tutorials as being swept over the face which is how I mostly use it. I thought it would be perfect for my BB cream!

>> Design-- the brush is a lovely pink color, and has perfect weighting - it doesn't feel cheap. The bristles are super freaking soft.. I thought they were soft when I touched them by hand, but when used on my face I was shocked by how lovely it felt!!

>> Application - So perfect! it literally blends the cream in perfectly - does not look streaky or anything. and you just Stipple to get more coverage, which I did for my undereye circles. It truly made my BB cream look pixel perfect and my face glowing. I also tried it by stippling a Nars illuminator for highlight - it works perfectly for this.

BUY THIS BRUSH if you use tinted moisturiser / BB creams as a base - it made my face f***ing flawless (: I will never use another brush for my face base ever again!
Looking to buy the whole range now - go sam!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/16/2013 3:33:00 PM More reviews by Katie19851

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Eh this was nothing great I felt that it just smeared my foundtaion around on my face. The expert face brush is way better. This I now use for buffing out very pigmented blushes and my contour. Otherwise I dont use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 2:28:00 PM More reviews by FijiSnob

I love her brushes!!! I've worked for MAC 8 years and have tried several brands. Love the fact the it's lightweight and most importantly duo fibered! Awesome versatility! Beautiful with liquids creams and powders.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2013 8:57:00 AM More reviews by Mellymoomar

I do like this stippling brush quite a lot, it is one of the best I have used so far. It doesn't scratch the face like I find some brushes can, it is really soft and easy to use. I like to use it after I have applied my foundation using the the RT foundation brush just to buff out any imperfections and it leaves a really nice smooth looking foundation base afterwards. Sounds cheesy, but it does look as though you have been airbrushed! I don't think I like this brush quite as much as the buffing brush, because I think that is just slightly better as making the make up look completely flawless, but this one is not a bad one at all. I also like using it to apply foundation sometimes instead of the foundation brush, as I find you get less of the annoying brush marks that you have to spend forever having to smooth out. Makes for really quick easy application. Would most definitely recommend and buy again as I am completely in love with RT brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2013 4:17:00 AM More reviews by Mocksoup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this stippling brush! It leaves my foundation with a total airbrushed finish. Easy to clean, a bit of a learning curve but easy to figure out with a couple tutorials. I also use this for my cream blush occasionally.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 6:02:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman is a line of makeup brushes designed by one half of YouTube's beloved Pixiwoo Sisters. I'm a long time subscriber to their channel and had been wanting to try Sam's brushes since they launched, but I always put off buying them for one reason or another. This stippling brush is the rush I wanted the most because I've never owned one before. I finally bought my Real Techniques Stippling Brush at Ulta for just $5.75, almost half off. If you weren't aware, Real Techniques is a sub brand of EcoTools, another favorite brush line. All Real Techniques brushes have hand cut, cruelty free taklon bristles and light, extended aluminum handles. Samantha Chapman says that her "dual fiber brush is the trade secret for creating airbrushed, high definition results with all types of makeup." This brush is also claimed to give you a "pixel perfect look even in harsh light." Real Techniques brushes are cruelty free and made in China. These brushes can be a little hard to track down, so let me steer you in the right direction. These brushes can be bought on the brand's website, at Ulta and Fred Myers in America, Target and Priceline in Australia, Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada, and Boots in the UK.
Real Techniques brushes are packaged pretty nicely. Each brush comes in a plastic case with the name of the brush on the front. On the back of the case you can find information on the brush, the brand, and Samantha Chapman herself. Real Techniques brushes are separated and color coordinated into three categories. The Stippling Brush falls into the "finishing" category, so it has a pink aluminum handle. The bottom of the handle features a black, rubbery piece with a flat bottom so that it can be easily stored standing upright. The brush handle, which is very lightweight and comfortable in the hand, features the name of the brush on one side, and the Real Techniques logo on the other. Some Real Techniques brushes have no noticeable ferrules to them, which gives them an interesting look. Despite the lack of a defined ferrule, the brush seems to have a firm grasp on the bristles.
Like most stippling brushes (or skunk brushes, as some call them), Real Techniques Stippling Brush has duo-fiber, black and white bristles. The black bristles are significantly shorter and more densely packed than their white counterparts. The white bristles are evenly distributed throughout the black ones and are ever so slightly longer in the center of the brush head. When you run the brush through your fingers, it feels quite soft, but when used on the face I find the bristles kinda jagged and uncomfortable, especially when used in the eye area. I don't really love the Real Techniques Stippling Brush the way I thought I would. Maybe I haven't perfected my stippling technique yet, but I've tried multiple methods and multiple foundations, and I'm yet to pleased by the results. Whether I stipple, swirl, swipe, or use any combination of method, my foundation always looks kinda off, streaky, and splotchy. I always feel like I need to go back in and blend with my fingers or my Avon blending sponge. I'm really not sure if it's me or the brush, but I think it may be the brush? Why? Well I've watched almost all of Pixiwoo's videos and I noticed that Sam rarely uses this brush and when she does, she doesn't use it to stipple, she kinda wipes her foundation on with it, so maybe it really isn't all that great of a brush.
Despite it's application flaws, Real Techniques stippling brush is good quality and well put together. I have never lost a bristle from this brush. It washes well, almost all the product comes out, but for the most part the white bristles don't return to their original white state. This brush dries fairly fast for being so dense.
Real Techniques Stippling Brush is pretty good quality, but I don't feel like it's the brush for me. Maybe I need more practice, but I just don't like the effect this brush has on my foundation's overall appearance. Honestly though, I've never really liked any brush for liquid foundation, I'm a sponge kind of girl. I'm pretty disappointed and glad that I didn't pay the full $10 for this brush. I think I'm going to try an ELF Stippling Brush next, to see if I'm not a fan of this brush, or stippling brushes in general. Though I don't love Real Techniques Stippling Brush, I don't regret buying it either, because it satisfied my intense curiosity about stippling brushes. Whether or not you should pick this brush up depends on if you're looking to expand your brush collection and if you're pleased with your current foundation application method.

8 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No