September 21, 2014 | 1894 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2011 7:57:00 PM More reviews by paintingitpink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product is definitely not for those who are cool toned and have blue-blonde highlights. My hair is naturally dark blonde/light brown and I have blue toned, level 10 blonde highlights. I saw some reviews online for this and I decided to try it out to see if it could extend the life out of my highlights.
I've used 1-2 times a week and I sprayed it mostly at my roots. I was initially impressed because it didn't turn my hair orange like sun-in. Having let my highlights grow out for about three months, and I'm not impressed. While my hair isn't orange, it's definitely turned a golden, somewhat brassy blonde. I'm cool toned, NC15, and tanless so this colour doesn't look very good on me. My natural roots look much better. If you have honey toned highlights and a tan this product would probably work great. I was expecting it to compliment the Go Blonder shampoo and conditioner, but even the purple shampoo and conditioner can't take away the brassiness.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2011 2:30:00 PM More reviews by yasemin2594

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was amazing at lightening my hair. I have dirty blonde hair naturally and i would wash my hair then spray it on and blow dry my hair straight. I saw a real difference after about 5 usages HOWEVER i carried on using it and after about 10 usages my roots turned a ginger colour cos my roots are quite dark and the rest of my hair turned really blonde; it looked horrid on me. Then i had to dye it back to my natural colour cos my roots started coming back. And then even when i dyed it, the blonde kept on bloody coming back. I recommend this product to people who want lighter blonde hair because it really does work. And to people with dark blonde hair like me, its a huge mistake. Im still having to dye my hair to keep the blonde from not coming back. Also my hair never fell out and never got too dry, even with my constant blow drying. Hope i helped x

rated 1 of 5 on 11/30/2011 10:51:00 AM More reviews by apricotcloud

UPDATE: I received a box of 'Full Restore' products from John Frieda when I sent them the pics I have uploaded here (the worst pics in the gallery) but even so, I think they should remove the product from the shelves and I am disgusted that they think a box of shampoo/conditioners is enough when they have completely ruined my hair.
___

Ok so I'm officially eating my words... and extremely upset.

I wrote a few reviews a while back about what a great product this was and that I didn't agree with all the women saying how it wrecked their hair...

Well, a few months down the line and I am in the same boat :[

I have just uploaded a pic of the extreme damage this product has caused my hair... this is no joke, my hair is down to my bum and all (aside from the areas I sprayed with JF lightening spray) is in very good condition...

However, now I am desperately trying to grow out the 'clumps' of hair that this awful spray has left me with. I never straightened over, I only blowdryed and now my hair is such a mess.

I have to wear it specially parted or all scraped back for work which is depressing when other women have nice healthy hair :[

I just WISH I had listened to the women on here and not used this. I beg you to do the same! I have e-mailed JF UK and hope they can resolve this and take the product off the shelves, god alone knows what is in there but it is NOT GOOD!

The brittle clumps of hair I am left with are so hard to style/deal with, I have to apply an intense conditioner over them every night just so they don't break even more :[ it really is a living nightmare.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2011 9:27:00 PM More reviews by peggy1234

DO NOT USE THIS!!! I loved the results at first but then my hair started breaking off at my scalp and all these new baby fine short hairs are growing back. I loved how easy this was to use and the result of the lighter color......however you will loose your hair and it is so NOT WORTH IT!!!!
This should not be on the shelves for anyone to use!!
DO NOT USE THIS!!! Do yourself a favor!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/26/2011 7:19:00 PM More reviews by jayhawks

DO NOT USE THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!! i used this product and it worked out well at first but then i got my hair professionally done today and now my hair is FRIED!!!! this product does not list any warning on the box but trust me, it will do it's share of damage!!!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2011 10:35:00 PM More reviews by cking2013

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Just used this and the shampoo/ conditioner for the first time so far my hair is kinda brittle but I think that's partially the conditioner 's fault it didn't do much, so I don't think it's all the spray. I started on this system because my hair gets sun bleached to a nice medium blonde in the summer so when fall comes I get these mousy brown roots even though I didn't dye my hair. nice. So this has been my life and my mom won't let me dye my hair so I thought this system could do the trick. So far after one use (although I did use a straightener for added heat) it's gone from mousy brown to dark blonde at my roots they're deffinetly less noticeable. I also sprayed it through the rest of my hair, and it's really light catching and shiny. Not a fan though that my hair is dry and tangled. Will update after I use the whole bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2011 8:02:00 AM More reviews by tinybucket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product works for me really well which is why I'm suprised about the very mixed reviews it gets here.

I have used different blond sprays before, mostly the Schwarzkopf one.

I think go blonder smells so much better than the Schwarzkopf one, and it is not as drying (again I'm suprised to read about other people's experiences). It should not come as a suprise that a blond spray contains hydrogen peroxide, now, should it? How else do you attempt to permanently lighten hair?

That said, it makes my hair a lovely light color (naturally ashy blonde). I use a blowdryer to activate it and find that the lightening action takes places even after I finished blowdrying it, so that you can only tell after the next hair wash how it turned out, thus, I have to be careful not to use too much in one go.

As for the brassiness some people experience, I don't have it, I think it depends on your current hair color and may be influenced by following up with blond shampoos that contain purple pigments.

For me it's a fantastic product that is super affordable on sale, much much better than the Schwarzkopf one.

I'm almost through the entire bottle, I should add.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2011 12:40:00 AM More reviews by tsmith4896

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My hair is very similar to mizzellmorgan's (see her review below). My hair is naturally a very ashy, dirty blonde. I have it hightlighted with a light blonde and a medium blonde. It is also low-lighted with a very golden blonde. I went a little darker for fall. But, I didn't like it so I purchased this product to lighten it. I have used it three times and it has definitenly brightened my hair in a very golden way. It has also enhanced the shine. The effect of the product has also helped my roots blend into my treated hair. The best advice I can give you is to not use this on ANY sort of brown colored hair as the effect will most likely be orangey. Further, because the product is straight peroxide it is very drying. So, you must condition, condition, condition after use. For blondes, this is a great product to achieve a brigher, more golden hue.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 7:54:00 PM More reviews by mkf96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I naturally have very light blonde hair, but I really wanted to go lighter for quite some time. My mother wouldn't let me dye my hair, as she said I'd regret it and I got really frustrated, so I bought this product.
WOW! What a difference! My hair has gone various shades of white blonde and I love it so much. My hair used never be shiny before and now it's impossibly shiny, which is a bonus. You would not believe the amount of compliments I have received from friends and family about the colour and shine of my hair.
I don't think my hair has been damaged at all, despite all the other reviews saying that their hair is ruined. Infact, my hair is quite soft. Also, peroxide is not bad for your hair when used in small amounts, just thought I'd let ye all know :)
Most of the complaints seem to be coming from people who regularly dye their hair or get highlights.So if you do dye your hair, maybe this isn't the product for you. However, I LOVE this.
The one thing I'd say is, obviously your roots will grow back darker, so it does take maintenance, but it is worth it :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2011 10:53:00 AM More reviews by hnrenfro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

BLONDIES IF YOUUUU PLAAANNN ON RECOLORING YOUR HAIR OR TOUCHING UP YOUR ROOTS warning DOOOOOO NOOOOTTTTTT UUUUSSSSEEEEE THIS PRODUCT. its really commom sense if you look at the ingridients list, the main ingrid. is hydrogenparoxide (probably spelled that wrong oopsie im late for work) ANWAYS BOTTOM line DO NOT USE THIS is you try to color your hair after using this even if u stop using it the peroxide has already changed the chemical structure of ur hair and if you color over it it will FRY YOUR HAIR and it will break off and look like hay and you will cry and die and other horrible things my moms been wearing head bands for 2months now because of this $#!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!