July 25, 2014 | 1658 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2011 10:35:00 PM More reviews by cking2013

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Just used this and the shampoo/ conditioner for the first time so far my hair is kinda brittle but I think that's partially the conditioner 's fault it didn't do much, so I don't think it's all the spray. I started on this system because my hair gets sun bleached to a nice medium blonde in the summer so when fall comes I get these mousy brown roots even though I didn't dye my hair. nice. So this has been my life and my mom won't let me dye my hair so I thought this system could do the trick. So far after one use (although I did use a straightener for added heat) it's gone from mousy brown to dark blonde at my roots they're deffinetly less noticeable. I also sprayed it through the rest of my hair, and it's really light catching and shiny. Not a fan though that my hair is dry and tangled. Will update after I use the whole bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2011 8:02:00 AM More reviews by tinybucket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product works for me really well which is why I'm suprised about the very mixed reviews it gets here.

I have used different blond sprays before, mostly the Schwarzkopf one.

I think go blonder smells so much better than the Schwarzkopf one, and it is not as drying (again I'm suprised to read about other people's experiences). It should not come as a suprise that a blond spray contains hydrogen peroxide, now, should it? How else do you attempt to permanently lighten hair?

That said, it makes my hair a lovely light color (naturally ashy blonde). I use a blowdryer to activate it and find that the lightening action takes places even after I finished blowdrying it, so that you can only tell after the next hair wash how it turned out, thus, I have to be careful not to use too much in one go.

As for the brassiness some people experience, I don't have it, I think it depends on your current hair color and may be influenced by following up with blond shampoos that contain purple pigments.

For me it's a fantastic product that is super affordable on sale, much much better than the Schwarzkopf one.

I'm almost through the entire bottle, I should add.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2011 12:40:00 AM More reviews by tsmith4896

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My hair is very similar to mizzellmorgan's (see her review below). My hair is naturally a very ashy, dirty blonde. I have it hightlighted with a light blonde and a medium blonde. It is also low-lighted with a very golden blonde. I went a little darker for fall. But, I didn't like it so I purchased this product to lighten it. I have used it three times and it has definitenly brightened my hair in a very golden way. It has also enhanced the shine. The effect of the product has also helped my roots blend into my treated hair. The best advice I can give you is to not use this on ANY sort of brown colored hair as the effect will most likely be orangey. Further, because the product is straight peroxide it is very drying. So, you must condition, condition, condition after use. For blondes, this is a great product to achieve a brigher, more golden hue.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 7:54:00 PM More reviews by mkf96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I naturally have very light blonde hair, but I really wanted to go lighter for quite some time. My mother wouldn't let me dye my hair, as she said I'd regret it and I got really frustrated, so I bought this product.
WOW! What a difference! My hair has gone various shades of white blonde and I love it so much. My hair used never be shiny before and now it's impossibly shiny, which is a bonus. You would not believe the amount of compliments I have received from friends and family about the colour and shine of my hair.
I don't think my hair has been damaged at all, despite all the other reviews saying that their hair is ruined. Infact, my hair is quite soft. Also, peroxide is not bad for your hair when used in small amounts, just thought I'd let ye all know :)
Most of the complaints seem to be coming from people who regularly dye their hair or get highlights.So if you do dye your hair, maybe this isn't the product for you. However, I LOVE this.
The one thing I'd say is, obviously your roots will grow back darker, so it does take maintenance, but it is worth it :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2011 10:53:00 AM More reviews by hnrenfro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

BLONDIES IF YOUUUU PLAAANNN ON RECOLORING YOUR HAIR OR TOUCHING UP YOUR ROOTS warning DOOOOOO NOOOOTTTTTT UUUUSSSSEEEEE THIS PRODUCT. its really commom sense if you look at the ingridients list, the main ingrid. is hydrogenparoxide (probably spelled that wrong oopsie im late for work) ANWAYS BOTTOM line DO NOT USE THIS is you try to color your hair after using this even if u stop using it the peroxide has already changed the chemical structure of ur hair and if you color over it it will FRY YOUR HAIR and it will break off and look like hay and you will cry and die and other horrible things my moms been wearing head bands for 2months now because of this $#!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2011 7:00:00 AM More reviews by sabakhan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I thought I would use this to help with my roots in between visiting the salon, at first I was quite impressed as it did lighten them. I continued to use this on holiday and they went even lighter, but then when I got back i noticed they had gone orange!!! This didnt really bother me that much as I was due to get my hair done. I have also been using the conditioner and shampoo, not very impressed as all the products caused my hair to dry out. I tend to use a leave in conditioner and repair mask about once a week to stop this but it didnt make much of a difference.... Then I went to my hairdresser to get my roots done, this was almost 2 months after I stopped using the product.....this caused my hair to break off and it looks so damaged and awful... I have gone from having long healthy hair to something that resembles a bale of hay... I am now stuck with wearing headbands and am plastering my hair in oil/conditioning treatments. There is no warning on the package that this can cause permanent damage, in additon it does not advise you to speak to your hairdresser before using! I wonder why... as it appears most hairdressers would not recommend using this!!! If any-one can recommend any good treatments to help with the growth etc I would really appreciate it!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2011 5:17:00 PM More reviews by Logsdon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

METALLIC DYE... DO NOT USE!!! Will RUIN your hair... No chemical services can be done over this or your HAIR may FALL OUT!!! PROMISE!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2011 3:38:00 PM More reviews by xVegasx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Out of all of the products i have bought in my life this is the one that i regret buying the most (appart from hair bleach but thats a whole different story lol) i decided to use this to spray onto my roots so they didnt look as noticable between colourings,i used this exsactly how it told me to use on the back of the packaging and after the whole process i looked in the mirror in my bedroom and it looked so nice,until i went outside and my roots were bright orange but i thought oh well i can just color over it,3 different boxes of hair dye later and there was no difference at all wich is realy strange beacause i use box colors all the time,at this point i was very upset that i thought nothing is going to cover this and dicided to give the customer services a ring and see what they would suggest and unbelievably the said try using the go blonder shampoo and conditioner and see if that helps and i thought if hair dye isnt going to work i doubt shampoo and conditioner from the same range are going to make any difference,they then said as a sorry they would send me loads of John Freida stuff to me in the post wich i still havent recieved from nine months ago and now after 9 months of having to spend a fortune at the hairdressers the orange just comes straight through the hairdressers hair colors after a few weeks so now i have a stripe going around my head just waiting to grow out as this is now the only way i can get rid of it.Please if you are going to buy this product do a strand test first,i realy wish i did :(

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2011 7:12:00 PM More reviews by lyndsay2010

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

i love this product!! my colorist refused to take my color the 3 or 4 shades lighter that i desired so after a recent appointment i took matters into my own hands. i use the spray VERY liberally and finally have the platinum glow that i wanted after just one bottle. now my colorist is forced to work her way up to that stage each time i go in as opposed to me fighting her about what shade i "should" be. if you have a light color treatment/blonde base, you will see a big change in your color. be careful though. if you're not committed to all over color or are concerned about highlights, this might not be for you.

side note: my hair is naturally oil-prone and i find that this spray can be quite drying. once or twice, i've sprayed a little too much and noticed that my hair felt stiff. now that i have a balance, this product is essential for me and takes out a lot of my oil.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2011 7:54:00 PM More reviews by mizellmorgan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I see mixed reviews on this product and I'm not surprised at all. This is my experience with it. I naturally have ashy, dirty blonde hair but I get highlights, some lowlights, and a glaze with makes the rest of my hair a golden blonde color. In about 6 weeks I start to dislike the look of my roots and would always get my roots done every 6-8 weeks. I started using it and thought it was too good to be true because I was able to stretch my salon visits to every 3 months. However, this should be used in moderation and not a replacement to highlights. I wait 6 six after getting my hair done before using this about 4 times, every other time I wash my hair. Keep in mind I also use a very moisturizing shampoo and conditioner in addition to a deeply moisturized mask once a week. Basically, use this sparingly when needed and try to use in conjunction with moisturizing products and you should be good!