April 18, 2014 | 1911 users online

Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 7:54:00 PM More reviews by mkf96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I naturally have very light blonde hair, but I really wanted to go lighter for quite some time. My mother wouldn't let me dye my hair, as she said I'd regret it and I got really frustrated, so I bought this product.
WOW! What a difference! My hair has gone various shades of white blonde and I love it so much. My hair used never be shiny before and now it's impossibly shiny, which is a bonus. You would not believe the amount of compliments I have received from friends and family about the colour and shine of my hair.
I don't think my hair has been damaged at all, despite all the other reviews saying that their hair is ruined. Infact, my hair is quite soft. Also, peroxide is not bad for your hair when used in small amounts, just thought I'd let ye all know :)
Most of the complaints seem to be coming from people who regularly dye their hair or get highlights.So if you do dye your hair, maybe this isn't the product for you. However, I LOVE this.
The one thing I'd say is, obviously your roots will grow back darker, so it does take maintenance, but it is worth it :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2011 10:53:00 AM More reviews by hnrenfro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

BLONDIES IF YOUUUU PLAAANNN ON RECOLORING YOUR HAIR OR TOUCHING UP YOUR ROOTS warning DOOOOOO NOOOOTTTTTT UUUUSSSSEEEEE THIS PRODUCT. its really commom sense if you look at the ingridients list, the main ingrid. is hydrogenparoxide (probably spelled that wrong oopsie im late for work) ANWAYS BOTTOM line DO NOT USE THIS is you try to color your hair after using this even if u stop using it the peroxide has already changed the chemical structure of ur hair and if you color over it it will FRY YOUR HAIR and it will break off and look like hay and you will cry and die and other horrible things my moms been wearing head bands for 2months now because of this $#!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2011 7:00:00 AM More reviews by sabakhan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I thought I would use this to help with my roots in between visiting the salon, at first I was quite impressed as it did lighten them. I continued to use this on holiday and they went even lighter, but then when I got back i noticed they had gone orange!!! This didnt really bother me that much as I was due to get my hair done. I have also been using the conditioner and shampoo, not very impressed as all the products caused my hair to dry out. I tend to use a leave in conditioner and repair mask about once a week to stop this but it didnt make much of a difference.... Then I went to my hairdresser to get my roots done, this was almost 2 months after I stopped using the product.....this caused my hair to break off and it looks so damaged and awful... I have gone from having long healthy hair to something that resembles a bale of hay... I am now stuck with wearing headbands and am plastering my hair in oil/conditioning treatments. There is no warning on the package that this can cause permanent damage, in additon it does not advise you to speak to your hairdresser before using! I wonder why... as it appears most hairdressers would not recommend using this!!! If any-one can recommend any good treatments to help with the growth etc I would really appreciate it!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2011 5:17:00 PM More reviews by Logsdon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

METALLIC DYE... DO NOT USE!!! Will RUIN your hair... No chemical services can be done over this or your HAIR may FALL OUT!!! PROMISE!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2011 3:38:00 PM More reviews by xVegasx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Out of all of the products i have bought in my life this is the one that i regret buying the most (appart from hair bleach but thats a whole different story lol) i decided to use this to spray onto my roots so they didnt look as noticable between colourings,i used this exsactly how it told me to use on the back of the packaging and after the whole process i looked in the mirror in my bedroom and it looked so nice,until i went outside and my roots were bright orange but i thought oh well i can just color over it,3 different boxes of hair dye later and there was no difference at all wich is realy strange beacause i use box colors all the time,at this point i was very upset that i thought nothing is going to cover this and dicided to give the customer services a ring and see what they would suggest and unbelievably the said try using the go blonder shampoo and conditioner and see if that helps and i thought if hair dye isnt going to work i doubt shampoo and conditioner from the same range are going to make any difference,they then said as a sorry they would send me loads of John Freida stuff to me in the post wich i still havent recieved from nine months ago and now after 9 months of having to spend a fortune at the hairdressers the orange just comes straight through the hairdressers hair colors after a few weeks so now i have a stripe going around my head just waiting to grow out as this is now the only way i can get rid of it.Please if you are going to buy this product do a strand test first,i realy wish i did :(

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2011 7:12:00 PM More reviews by lyndsay2010

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

i love this product!! my colorist refused to take my color the 3 or 4 shades lighter that i desired so after a recent appointment i took matters into my own hands. i use the spray VERY liberally and finally have the platinum glow that i wanted after just one bottle. now my colorist is forced to work her way up to that stage each time i go in as opposed to me fighting her about what shade i "should" be. if you have a light color treatment/blonde base, you will see a big change in your color. be careful though. if you're not committed to all over color or are concerned about highlights, this might not be for you.

side note: my hair is naturally oil-prone and i find that this spray can be quite drying. once or twice, i've sprayed a little too much and noticed that my hair felt stiff. now that i have a balance, this product is essential for me and takes out a lot of my oil.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2011 7:54:00 PM More reviews by mizellmorgan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I see mixed reviews on this product and I'm not surprised at all. This is my experience with it. I naturally have ashy, dirty blonde hair but I get highlights, some lowlights, and a glaze with makes the rest of my hair a golden blonde color. In about 6 weeks I start to dislike the look of my roots and would always get my roots done every 6-8 weeks. I started using it and thought it was too good to be true because I was able to stretch my salon visits to every 3 months. However, this should be used in moderation and not a replacement to highlights. I wait 6 six after getting my hair done before using this about 4 times, every other time I wash my hair. Keep in mind I also use a very moisturizing shampoo and conditioner in addition to a deeply moisturized mask once a week. Basically, use this sparingly when needed and try to use in conjunction with moisturizing products and you should be good!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 3:38:00 AM More reviews by blondbunny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Didn't particularly like this I thought I would lighten my roots and maybe make it a bit brighter but instead turned my hair trashy gold yellow blonde eek no white tones at all it looked really un natural it also made my hair dry frizzy and dull looking won't repurchase!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/22/2011 4:13:00 PM More reviews by glitterandgold

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

no no no no no!!!!!!!!!
I have naturally medium-dark blonde hair, I get it highlighted to brighten it up a bit - my highlights were starting to grow out so i thought i'd use this as a temporary fix until i saved up a bit more money to get it done properly - REGRETS!!
At first it seemed to have done it's job beautifully, I was so excited as it really had sorted out my darker roots and lightened them dramatically with just one use. However, I noticed that when I was outside my roots were a lot lighter than the rest of my hair, so decided to do a quick spritz all over to make it vaguely the same colour.
It was fine for a couple of weeks - but gradually started to go a very brassy orangey colour, despite using colour correcting shampoos/conditioners on it. The regrowth is now terrible, my hair is a LOT drier than it originally was (never had a problem with it before) and the colour is horrible!! All this with 2 uses, so glad I didn't continue with it as I hate to think what my hair would be like if I had done.
Was SO embarrassing going to my hairdressers to admit what I'd done to it, will never touch this stuff again!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/19/2011 2:55:00 PM More reviews by breakfastattiffanys11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

When I first started using this product I was literally in love. I have light brown hair that I have been highlighting blonde for the past eight years. I just graduated college and started paying back my loans, so I had to cut my visits to the salon. When I first started using this it blended my roots perfectly. The results were a little brassy but I used the John Frieda purple toning shampoo once a week and my color looked great.

My hair looked great all summer, but I had to stop using this because my hair at the roots and crowns started to feel like straw ( and I have pretty oily hair so its always soft and smooth...almost too much so). Then those pieces eventually broke right off.

I stopped using this product because it really ruined my hair that was previously in very healthy condition. I have been using Hair One (Sally's version of Wen), argon oil, and a once a week protein mask, for the past couple of months since I stopped using this product, and it is just starting to get better. I had to get side bangs to disguise all the breakage at the top of my hair.

So I would only use this short term...it you must. I used this over the course of three months, and while the product really does work, it gives beautiful highlights and blends roots seamlessly, it totally ruined my hair.