Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base

4.3

on 1/28/2011 11:25:00 AM

What I really like about this mascara is the clean and non-brittle coating it gives to my lashes (I never seen such a clean and well defined effect on my lashes). But this stuff, when applied to my lashes, comes out completely white, so it really is only a mascara base designed to go underneath another mascara, and for 20 quid that makes this expensive- as you have to shell out for a regular mascara aswell! Also, after its dried and set it makes my lashes look very hard, stiff and unnatural (not in a good way). I prefer a full, fluffy and soft lash effect. And this mascara separates the lashes a little too much for my liking. So overall, I'm glad I tried it, and I wouldn't put people off trying it, but I personally won't be buying it again.

on 1/19/2011 12:17:00 PM

I really don't see the point of this primer. It does not thicken or lengthen my lashes, nor does it noticeably condition them. I have not tested it for long-term results, so I have not graded it a "1" yet. The Lancome version is not perfect, but is much more effective. This is a thin gel, vs. Lancome's thicker cream. I do not recommend this, as it does not add anything that would justify the extra cost and use of an additional product.

on 1/9/2011 9:25:00 AM

LOVE this stuff!! I have been a faithful user of the old formula for a long time, it was the best base I had ever used, comparing amongst other mascara bases, but not really my HG though, the best when comparing it against others but somehow just less than what I expected in my HG base. Nevertheless, I was devastated when they discontinued and went into panic mood. I decided to give the new formula a go anyhow, expecting it to totally fail in living up to the standards of the first one because in one glance, the formula looks so different. The old one had more of a solid texture to the base, whereas the new one look much more liquidy. I had serious doubt that it would hold a curl well. Lo and behold though, when I used the new formula, it was even better than the first one, I was really surprised. It held a curl very well (the old one did an ok job, but this one really outperformed), and made even lousy mascaras that I hated look good. However, don't count on it thickening lashes, it holds a curl very well, and lengthens well too, but the thickening part is quite lacking. Not a problem for me though, because curl power and lengthening are most important for me. Really really like this base, and am super glad I got it, as exaggerated as it sounds, I can't imagine life without it now!

Update- 9 months on, I'm still loving this product and am still using the same exact first tube I bought, it hasen't run out yet, and I'm a five day a week user!

on 1/7/2011 12:58:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I was so sad when I saw that the original formula was discontinued. I never understood why companies always seem to discontinue or change their best products, and I wasn't liking that some people had said this was not as good as the original. I ran out of my first tube though, so I just had to go out and try this one. I was not disappointed though.

Normally, I really like fat brushes, but I actually do like this skinner brush better. I feel like the bristles are positioned well to grab every lash. Also, the formula is smoother and thinner, which I thought I wouldn't like because I thought it wouldn't build up my lashes well, but it does make it very easy to apply. It just glides onto your lashes. As for building up my lashes to add length and volume, I can't tell the difference between the old one and new one. I actually have been still using the very, very last bits of products I have in my old tube, and yesterday, I put on the new one, and I feel like my lashes looked better and less clumpy than they did the day before (using the same mascara over it). I can't tell if it's because my old is tube, well, old now, or if the new one does just work better because the product is smoother and the brush is thinner. As for staying power, they work the same. My mascara still stays on 'til the end of the day, even when I sweat from exercise. Overall, I still really like the product, it is worth getting the new one, I think I'm just hesistant to loveee it because I'm nostalgic for the good old things.

on 12/31/2010 3:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I had been using the old Shiseido Mascara Base and liked it very much although I thought it applied a bit on the thick side. So I was running out and ask my hubby to buy a replacement for Christmas. When I looked at the box I thought "oh no, he bought the wrong item"..But sure enough, after a quick search, I found out the old was discontinued and though I would give the new one a try. Must say I like this new & improved version even better. It's lighter and when applying doesn't glob like the old one use to do at times. I honestly cannot tell a difference between the old one in terms of staying power, and keeping my mascara from smudging or flakeing. Still get the same curl height and volume (I use Full and Soft). It does seem "nourishing" as well and is easier to remove. Also with the old one, if I didn't coat every lash from bottom to top, sometimes the gray of the old forumla would show on my tips. I know sometimes it's hard to get used to new things when you really loved the old, but for me, this updated version gets a big thumbs up.

on 12/4/2010 4:43:00 AM

The pits compared to old formula. Couldn't even tell I was wearing anything in addition to my mascara. I returned the new one to Sephora, did online search, and purchased original formula from strawberrynet.com

Update: Maybelline Colossal Volume waterproof on own is my replacement product.

on 11/29/2010 1:00:00 AM

This is a better base than any I have recently tried (Clinique, Lancome), but not nearly what the old base was. I cannot get the thickness or the lasting power that I was able to get with the old formula, though the lashes do still curl up. Also, because the formula is thin, mascara doesn't go on as smoothly (at least for me). Lancome and Clinique (because they are water-based, I believe, meaning water is the first ingredient) weighed down my lashes. Have you ever noticed how waterproof mascara holds a curl but regular does not? This is because water is the first ingredient in regular mascara. So I suggest all of you looking for a base to hold curl read the ingredients and avoid one that has water as the first ingredient (that is my experience, at least). This base does not have water as the first ingredient, which is why it helps hold curl. For $23 is it worth it, however? I don't know. Most waterproof mascaras hold curl for a lot less. Without any thickening benefits, this is still just 'meh' for me. If only Shiseido would bring back the old formula!

on 11/19/2010 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I've been using Shiseido's mascara base for a couple of years now (a must have for me) and after running out, recently purchased a new tube. Upon first glance I thought they just changed the packaging, but after using it, see they have re-formulated both the product and the brush. I absolutely love both! I love that the consistency is less thick (makes for easier application and less clumping) and the applicator applies a nice even amount. This product continues to hold the curl for my "difficult" lashes and the length added is beautiful. I agree with the previous poster that because it is a thinner consistency lashes aren't as thickened as before with this product alone --- but my HG mascara (L'oreal Voluminous Carbon) thickens them up quite nicely when applied over this base without giving a spidery effect that I'd sometimes wrestle with when using the previous formula. Very happy with my purchase and will be re-buying for sure.

on 11/19/2010 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have been using the original base on and off for several years now, mostly for nights out or when I want extra emphasis on my eyelashes. I loved the original formula to bits; it lengthened, thickened, and held a curl with just one swipe. If I had run out of my HG Heroine Make mascara it would make any crappy "temporary" mascara look just as good. It was one of the few products I was completely loyal to.

I have used the new formula for a few days now, and I must say that although it still better than most of the other bases available, it does not perform nearly as well as the original. The new formula requires many more swipes to achieve the same result that the original formula provides in one. It also does not give the same amount of thickness that I had come to love about the original. It still holds a curl wonderfully and adds fantastic length, but the thickness! I am using it for the thickness!

Having compared both the original and new formula, I am reminded of the old adage: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

on 10/23/2010 2:09:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I went to Macy's last weekend to get a new tube of Shiseido The Mascara Base. I've been using this mascara base for like 5 years...it's a basic, MUST HAVE staple! When I got there, the MA, who I think was from the Estee Lauder counter....they never have a Shiseido MA, don't know why....got the mascara base and took it out of the box to make sure it was the right thing. At first glance, I thought she had gotten the wrong thing, which is easy to do because all of their boxes, anything in a tube, look the same. The tube looked totally different...different style. Read the tube to make sure and noticed it said "nourishing mascara base"...didn't remember them calling it that, but OK. I went ahead and shelled out my $24.50 or whatever it was and went home. Got onto MUA because I wanted to see if something had changed with my favorite base! I was crushed! to see that everyone seemed to hate it....new formula, blah blah. But I figured I'd give it a try. And...I LOVE IT!!! The formula is TOTALLY different, which is why I started a new review for this. This formula is much thinner, which I like because it curls my lashes but I don't worry about clumps, AT ALL. Also, they revamped the brush. The brush is not the normal fat mascara brush anymore...it's thinner and makes it easier to get to my inner lashes. I have been using this for a week and absolutely love it! I would urge anyone who used this before and didn't like it, to try the new formula. Everyone has their own opinion, and no one really likes change, but I'm happy to say that in this case I was not disappointed. Will buy again for sure! :)

Edited on 03/19/11 -- I still have this tube and am still using, although I will have to buy again soon. Another thing I love about the new formula is that it doesn't get all thick and gloppy as it gets older. The old formula, as you used it, it would get thicker and really hard to manage. And this stuff is not cheap, so I want every last bit of it. Love this new formula!

Top Rated Shiseido Products