September 19, 2014 | 1917 users online

Cleansers - CeraVe - Foaming Facial Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by BeachBunniee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I gave this product several months of use before deciding to write a review and I've determined that I thoroughly enjoy this cleanser! After straying away from it to try some other cleansers (Cetaphil, Purity, Clinique, Keihls) I came right back! It has a lovely texture that does a wonderful job of cleansing the skin without stripping it of it's moisture. It removes all my makeup except my stubborn gel eyeliner. I've never found it to be irritating, but actually find it to be quite calming...maybe due to the ceramides and niacinamide? I either use it alone or after oil cleansing with mineral oil. It's usually priced around $12, but you get a large bottle with a pump that lasts me 2 months. I also use it in combination with CeRave PM, which I've been using for over a year with no complaints.
I have combination acne-prone skin with eczema for reference!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2013 5:17:00 PM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have mild Rosacea & 1st heard about Cerave from my dermatologist. I didn't even know it contained anything beneficial "beautywise" until I saw it here on MA. I just knew that it was very gentle & this cleanser along w/ Cerave moisturizer was recommended to me by my dermatologist to use before I apply a Roasacea gel medication (Finacea-15% azelaic acid) that she prescribed for me.

I kind of find this genre of cleansers boring (Cetaphil, Cerave, etc) so I ignored her advice & WOW did I learn my lesson. Tried just washing my face w/ Dove soap & skipping moisturizer and then applied a big old glob of Finacea-my face felt like it was on fire for like an hour!!!! Part of that was my skin adjusting to the acid in Finacea but a big part also was that I didn't follow her advice re:using Finacea.

I think it is an excellent product. I have dryish skin & after cleansing, my face feels a little tight but not super dry. It does a great job of cleaning off all of my face make-up (never used it to remove mascara).This does not break me out but I did try the moisturizing version for dry skin & that did cause extra blackheads so I switched to this foaming version for normal/oily skin, even though I mostly have dry skin. As for the "foaming" action, I don't think it foams much but it does clean & has no distinct scent.

All in all, this is a kind of boring, basic, fragrence free face cleanser that comes in a white, medicinal-looking pump that a doctor would tell you to use which is typically the stuff I run from but...having said all that, I can tell you that Cerave works very well & is better than all the fancy cleansers that I have tried in the past.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by DVick

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Drying, and made my acne worse.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2013 6:29:00 PM More reviews by CityGirlNY

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This cleanser worked well for me. I use it after my oil cleanser, and it actually seems to dry out my skin less than the SkinMedic cleanser, which I had used before. My breakouts stopped (until now) since I started using this, but that may be because of the new topical I'm using.

The pump packaging, and the fact that you get a lot for the money, are other advantages.

Edit: It did end up drying out my skin, so I switched back to the Obagi Gentle cleanser.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2013 11:59:00 PM More reviews by NatalieJ

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a pretty unremarkable foaming cleanser; nothing good or bad to say about it. It cleans better than their hydrating cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2013 12:41:00 PM More reviews by teller5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I admit it....I gave in and bought this cleanser, after reading the reviews I thought it would be a good choice for my picky, oily, hormonal skin. I soon found out how wrong I was. Broke me out in deep painful cysts., which took forever to heal. Whenever I used it, my face never felt totally clean, and oddly enough felt tight and dry. I am glad however that so many others have had such positive results. A HG cleanser is a must, and so hard to find!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2013 3:30:00 AM More reviews by psitsnottoolate

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

It was because of the rave reviews I've heard about this product that I decided to go out and buy this. Unfortunately, this dried out my skin SO BAD I couldn't believe it. I literally only used a pea-sized amount on my entire face and yet it felt like my face was stretch as tight as an elastic band. It's too bad since I really, really wanted this to work for me, and it seems like I'm the only one that has had this experience with this cleanser. I have not tried the Hydrating Cleanser because I've combo to oilier skin but on second though, maybe I should've.

Pros:
- Nice, clean packaging?
- At least it didn't break me out (as far as I know of)

Cons:
- EXTREMELY DRYING
- Expensive (I paid $15 for 300 mL)

Maybe it's just me, but I will definitely not repurchase this. Will continue hunt for HG cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 3:43:00 AM More reviews by ThumbelinaBarbie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Let me just get to the point. This is an amazing cleanser.
I use this one of two ways, Either on its own or with my Clarisonic. On it's own it removes all my makeup without me needing to scrub at my face, which is great since my skin is pretty delicate, or with my Clarisonic to really deep clean my face. Usually the latter. It keeps my normal skin from drying out or becoming too oily, it removes a full face of makeup without needing to scrub, and it prevents my skin from breaking out. I can really recommend this cleanser to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by sassepiano

I used Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash since I was in high school. There were some changes in my skin which led me to try the Sage Facial Shampoo (Regular) and while that was nice, it costs a little too much. I know the knowledge of MUA will lead me to find a better cleanser. Recently I went on a combo of Aczone (dapsone) gel in the morning and tretinoin 0.05% in the evening and those medications has made my face slightly dry and flakey. You're supposed to wait about 15-30 minutes after you cleanse before applying tretinoin. That's when Purpose did not work for me. My face was super dry by the time it was ready for tretinoin. This is where the Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser saved the day! I use about about 1/2 to 3/4 of a pump on wet hands, rub my hands until the soap starts to foam and I wash my face as usual. My face feels great afterwards, and I can go the 15-30 minutes before applying tretinoin without feeling super dry. Love!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by plainjane123

I had high hopes for this cleanser since it was very recommended for oily skin gals like myself. While it did "fix" my oily skin, my skin felt so dry after the first few times of using it, it was definitely not pleasant. The things I did like about this cleanser: it was cheap, it worked very well with my clarisonic, and it removed makeup. I just really wish it wasn't so drying!