December 20, 2014 | 876 users online

Sunscreen - EltaMD - UV Clear SPF 46

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2010 4:26:00 PM More reviews by Andio

Ok, I've had this for awhile and now I am finally doing the review. I used this for several days after getting it and I started to breakout. I put this under the sink. Today however, I got it back out and used it again. I loved the pump appIicator! One pump seems to cover the entire face quite generously. I did notice that it gave my makeup a nice finish. My skin was a little shiny though. Powder did help. I am going to continue to use this again and see what happens with the breakouts. I have also started using EL's ANR the synchronized new formula and that seems to be really helping with breakouts and combats dry skin from my Trentinol. I am happy to read all the good reviews for this and hope like h... it works out. I want to maintain the hyper pigmentation free skin that cost me 800.00. So sun exposure is out of the question!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2010 4:07:00 AM More reviews by tropical_dreams15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product religiously for over 6 months now and I can say that it is my favorite ss (so far). It was recommended to me by my derm. because I used to have acne and am prone to clogged pores. My skin is ridiculously oily so I put this on by itself after washing my face and let it sink in before applying my makeup. I haven't had any sort of breakouts or bad reactions to this product. I don't notice any sort of white-cast on my face when I use this ss, but I do see a slight sheen/shine. I just apply pressed powder before heading out because without it I look a little too slick for my liking. If I exfoliate that morning I do notice a slight flush, but that's because niacinamide is one of the ingredients. I find it gentle enough to use around my eyes and have never had an issue with it burning or irritating that general area.

Additionally, Elta MD UV Clear is oil-free, fragrance-free, paraben-free and non-comedogenic.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2010 12:18:00 AM More reviews by IvoryLady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm almost afraid to rave about this because I don't want to jinx it, you know? But this is too good to keep to myself. My skin is very acne prone, very fair, oily but prone to surface dryness-- a general nightmare. I haven't had good luck with any of my numerous US sunscreen purchases. So anyway, this is absolutely the first daily use sunscreen I've been happy with, and I'll tell you why:
- I've been using it for several weeks with no breakouts
- It doesn't make me oily, and my makeup goes on smoothly over it
- There is no obnoxious smell!
- Once it has sunk in, it feels virtually weightless and non-existent on my skin
- Doesn't irritate my eyes
The only minor bad points are the price, the slight shine left behind (easily powdered over) and the slight whitening cast, which is practically invisible on me but would probably be worse if you have medium-ish or darker skin. I know certain sunscreens, especially Euro, are more protective but this is a great option if those haven't worked out for whatever reason.
I should also mention that my post acne hyperpigmentation (pink/red marks) are finally fading and my acne has generally seemed milder since I started using it, which I credit at least in part to the niacinamide. Awesome stuff! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 1:04:00 PM More reviews by EmeraldCharm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this ss alot. For me I like zinc oxide and vitamin b3. And I also like that this contains nothing that breaks me out. I believe it would be safe for many breakout prone skins. Does leave a bit of a white film so I feel makeup is a must after it. This is basically HG for me though I do want to try some Euro ss since I've read on the boards here that they have the most superior protection.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2010 9:08:00 PM More reviews by Katherine99

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second bottle of this. It is a great sunscreen for my acne-prone skin. I like the protection and the finish it gives. After years of using sunscreens that made my makeup look awful, it's so nice to have one like this that provides an elegant finish.
I have yet to really find if the niacinmide does much. I'm unsure what the % is so perhaps that's why.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2010 2:07:00 PM More reviews by vazquez

I happened to stumble upon this product after my beloved Shiseido spf 55 face & body lotion was discontinued and replaced by a new formula (spf 60) which now contains SD ALCOHOL in it- of which I will not use! The texture and wear is similar to the Shiseido spf 55 however the Uv Clear has no fragrance which is actually better for the skin. Unfortunately it is alot smaller (1.7 oz compared to 3.3 oz) and is not as easily available (I had to purchase it online and fortunately it was a hit). It comes with an airless pump which I love. Overall I am quite pleased and will be repurchasing unless I find something else out there that is similar, that is less expensive and has more product in it. Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5%.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2010 9:35:00 PM More reviews by everyday

Elta is claiming that this is a sunscreen for sensitive/acne-prone skin, and indeed it is. It comes in a wonderful pump container, has a beautiful, matte finish that doesn't leave a white cast, and it contains lactic acid and niacinamide, both excellent ingredients for most acne-prone skins. Unfortunately, my acne- and clog-prone skin did not like this formula. This was a huge disappointment, because this is an excellent sunscreen with a weightless finish that wears well on its own or under makeup. It also provided enough moisture that I did not need to wear anything underneath, but was not at all shiny.

I wore it for four days straight, and each day my most sensitive areas (namely around my mouth and chin) became increasingly clogged. I broke out with what I like to call "irritation acne," all of which cleared up with diligent use of PC 2% BHA Liquid (a product I can only use in situations like this because it is normally too strong for me) and stopping the use of this sunscreen.

My conclusion: if your skin likes lactic acid (mine hates it and I should have known better, but I figured it was possibly far enough down the ingredients list to maybe work for me) and niacinamide (skin board posts have mentioned the percentage at 5% if I recall correctly), this is definitely a sunscreen worth trying! I wish it worked for me, because stupid skin reactions aside, it is an incredible sunscreen.

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5%

Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2010 1:54:00 PM More reviews by barbiH

EltaMD® UV Clear SPF 46 combines the broad-spectrum sunscreen protection of zinc oxide with the skin care benefits of Niacinamide to calm and protect sensitive, acne-prone skin. Niacinamide’s effect on blemishes such as acne, as well as skin discoloration, has been proven scientifically many times over. (edited to add: I opened this new category on the request of another MUA'er. I have not actually tried this s/s.)