October 2, 2014 | 1050 users online

Sunscreen - EltaMD - UV Clear SPF 46

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 1:04:00 PM More reviews by EmeraldCharm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this ss alot. For me I like zinc oxide and vitamin b3. And I also like that this contains nothing that breaks me out. I believe it would be safe for many breakout prone skins. Does leave a bit of a white film so I feel makeup is a must after it. This is basically HG for me though I do want to try some Euro ss since I've read on the boards here that they have the most superior protection.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2010 9:08:00 PM More reviews by Katherine99

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second bottle of this. It is a great sunscreen for my acne-prone skin. I like the protection and the finish it gives. After years of using sunscreens that made my makeup look awful, it's so nice to have one like this that provides an elegant finish.
I have yet to really find if the niacinmide does much. I'm unsure what the % is so perhaps that's why.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2010 2:07:00 PM More reviews by vazquez

I happened to stumble upon this product after my beloved Shiseido spf 55 face & body lotion was discontinued and replaced by a new formula (spf 60) which now contains SD ALCOHOL in it- of which I will not use! The texture and wear is similar to the Shiseido spf 55 however the Uv Clear has no fragrance which is actually better for the skin. Unfortunately it is alot smaller (1.7 oz compared to 3.3 oz) and is not as easily available (I had to purchase it online and fortunately it was a hit). It comes with an airless pump which I love. Overall I am quite pleased and will be repurchasing unless I find something else out there that is similar, that is less expensive and has more product in it. Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5%.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2010 9:35:00 PM More reviews by everyday

Elta is claiming that this is a sunscreen for sensitive/acne-prone skin, and indeed it is. It comes in a wonderful pump container, has a beautiful, matte finish that doesn't leave a white cast, and it contains lactic acid and niacinamide, both excellent ingredients for most acne-prone skins. Unfortunately, my acne- and clog-prone skin did not like this formula. This was a huge disappointment, because this is an excellent sunscreen with a weightless finish that wears well on its own or under makeup. It also provided enough moisture that I did not need to wear anything underneath, but was not at all shiny.

I wore it for four days straight, and each day my most sensitive areas (namely around my mouth and chin) became increasingly clogged. I broke out with what I like to call "irritation acne," all of which cleared up with diligent use of PC 2% BHA Liquid (a product I can only use in situations like this because it is normally too strong for me) and stopping the use of this sunscreen.

My conclusion: if your skin likes lactic acid (mine hates it and I should have known better, but I figured it was possibly far enough down the ingredients list to maybe work for me) and niacinamide (skin board posts have mentioned the percentage at 5% if I recall correctly), this is definitely a sunscreen worth trying! I wish it worked for me, because stupid skin reactions aside, it is an incredible sunscreen.

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5%

Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2010 1:54:00 PM More reviews by barbiH

EltaMD® UV Clear SPF 46 combines the broad-spectrum sunscreen protection of zinc oxide with the skin care benefits of Niacinamide to calm and protect sensitive, acne-prone skin. Niacinamide’s effect on blemishes such as acne, as well as skin discoloration, has been proven scientifically many times over. (edited to add: I opened this new category on the request of another MUA'er. I have not actually tried this s/s.)