EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

on 8/11/2010 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I hate to be the spoiler here but after a week I'm returning this. I gave it 2 lippies for the pump packaging and non-whitening, thin formula but this stuff was just bad for my skin. It worked horrible for me under my foundation. I just can't explain it but it made my normally very natural foundation look chalky and maskey. When you first apply, there is some stickiness which I thought would go away but I just felt it sitting on my skin and I have used physical sunscreens before. Also, I think it caused some breakouts rather than helped. I read it could be the cyclomethicone which is the 2nd inactive ingredient listed. I'm really bummed because this sounded like it would be my perfect HG sunscreen. :(

on 7/29/2010 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hands down best sunscreen I've ever used. It was recommended by my derm...the ingredients (titanium and zinc oxide) protect you from UVA and UVB short and long rays better than any other brand or ingredients out there..and I've tried them all, from drugstore brands to high-end brands. This is a steal at around $25. I have acne prone/oily skin and this is amazing. Will never use anything else. Also, doesn't leave any white cast, feels light yet moisturizing, not sticky....go get it!

on 7/1/2010 12:23:00 AM

This is an excellent sunscreen for breakout prone skin--not too thick, no white cast because sinks in well, matte finish, nice pump packaging. This would be a HG for me except for one thing--it sometimes leaves white flakes on my skin--so I can't put makeup over it. So no buy again.

on 6/23/2010 7:36:00 AM

I am always on the look out for a sunscreen that will not break me out, and that will protect me from the sun. Sounds simple right? If only!
I need something oil-free with no titanium dioxide.
I previously tried skinceuticals, which had similar ingredients but was very thick, had a whitish cast, and would give me whiteheads if i wore it daily (which i was willing to put up with since it was the best i had found)

I was doing my periodical sunscreen search and read all the good reviews of this on the boards. Although other's positive reviews of products don't necessarily work for me, I ordered UV Clear online. As I don't live in the States, shipping was a killer, so overall this stuff is not cheap for me, nor easily accessible.

I wore it daily on my vacation in Europe and Asia. The texture is so thin, like moisturiser. You can just apply it normally, and I had no issues with putting on makeup afterwards.
It didn't cause me any breakouts either - I removed it with oil cleanser (mineral oil free) then my regular facewash, as I would do for any sunscreen.

Now - every day I wore a wide brimmed hat in addition to this sunscreen, and I tend to avoid the sun as well.
I don't think I got any new freckles, but I do think my existing ones are slighter darker (not 100% sure, though they look it in photos) and I have a patch of brown on my cheekbone that definitely wasn't there before I left.
I know to avoid these issues I need a high ppd sunscreen.

Since I haven't found a high ppd sunscreen I can tolerate, I would definitely repurchase this because it doesn't cause me any adverse reactions.

I do hope in the future I can find a sunscreen with better protection that doesn't break me out (or something is invented!)

EDIT- I have lowered my rating from 4/5 to 3/5. It doesn't wear well under makeup for me (it pills) and it does give me clogs/break outs (but nothing too major). After less than a year it has a slight smell to it, as if it is starting to go off - there are no parabens in it so perhaps it doesn't preserve itself well. Generally sunscreens are said to expire after a year anyway, so I guess it's close enough.
However, Elta is still the best thing I have found, and it is the closest my skin has come to tolerating a sunscreen, so I would buy it again.

on 6/15/2010 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I must say, am truly impressed with this sunscreen.. I have tried a few sunscreens to no luck. I have combination but very sensitive skin that has been prone to breakouts lately. this sunscreen doesnt aggravate my skin at all. it goes on very smooth. no irritation or break out AT ALL. I havent noticed any clearing of my dark spots from using this. but only time will tell.

The only problem i have is that it leaves a very slight white cast on my dark complexion. this is expected due to the zinc. however i let it soak into my skin for about 45 mins and then add my foundation or powder. the white cast is gone after that. i must say it keeps my face pretty matte all day. that's a tough feat for an oilly like me!!! You cant tell i have anything on even in 95 degree and high humidity weather like houston...

i love this stuff what more can i say.. however, it's very expensive for the quantity you get. the bottle is very small. 1.7 fl oz i think. when i shake the bottle, it always feels like there isnt much left in there.. so my guess is that i might have to replace this every month.. will update on how long it last. it's only been a week so far

Great sunscreen. I have also tried two other Elta MD facial sunscreens, the tinted SPF 41 and the SPF 45. I would have to say the 41 is still my all-time favorite because it doubles as a very natural-looking tinted moisturizer, but this is also a fabulous product. I have normal/combo skin and the Clear makes a perfect light daily moisturizer for warmer weather. It has a great texture, applies and absorbs easily; no rubbing your face waiting for it to sink in. Doesn't look white or settle in pores. No smell, not greasy, shiny, or sticky; hasn't caused clogs or any other problems. I also think the treatment ingredients are doing something nice for my skin; it looks smooth, clear and plump. The only possible cons of this sunscreen: it's not particularly tenacious in high humidity; not high PPD; probably not moisturizing enough for drier skin. Overall, very very pleased with this purchase and I'm sure I will buy it again!

on 6/2/2010 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Following a recommendation from my dermatologist/aesthtician, I started using this about 5 months ago, and... I really like it. It blends into my skin very well (so, I don't have a white film on my face), gives me a nice glow, and is very easy to use due to the pump package. I think I've noticed fewer blemishes, too.

I give this product 4.5 stars. What keeps me from giving it a 5 star is that it doesnt help prevent my face from having an oily shine an hour after i've applied my make-up (but of course most sunscreens don't do this anyway, and the ones that do, e.g., Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream, are too drying/dulling of the complexion or too white-ish). Anyway, I can fight the shine with another product recommended by my dermatologist/aesthtician - OC 8 Mattifying Gel.

I highly recommend this to people who want a good sun protection without triggering acne flare ups and without a heavy white film. GREAT STUFF!

on 5/20/2010 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Ok, I've had this for awhile and now I am finally doing the review. I used this for several days after getting it and I started to breakout. I put this under the sink. Today however, I got it back out and used it again. I loved the pump appIicator! One pump seems to cover the entire face quite generously. I did notice that it gave my makeup a nice finish. My skin was a little shiny though. Powder did help. I am going to continue to use this again and see what happens with the breakouts. I have also started using EL's ANR the synchronized new formula and that seems to be really helping with breakouts and combats dry skin from my Trentinol. I am happy to read all the good reviews for this and hope like h... it works out. I want to maintain the hyper pigmentation free skin that cost me 800.00. So sun exposure is out of the question!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I've been using this product religiously for over 6 months now and I can say that it is my favorite ss (so far). It was recommended to me by my derm. because I used to have acne and am prone to clogged pores. My skin is ridiculously oily so I put this on by itself after washing my face and let it sink in before applying my makeup. I haven't had any sort of breakouts or bad reactions to this product. I don't notice any sort of white-cast on my face when I use this ss, but I do see a slight sheen/shine. I just apply pressed powder before heading out because without it I look a little too slick for my liking. If I exfoliate that morning I do notice a slight flush, but that's because niacinamide is one of the ingredients. I find it gentle enough to use around my eyes and have never had an issue with it burning or irritating that general area.

Additionally, Elta MD UV Clear is oil-free, fragrance-free, paraben-free and non-comedogenic.

on 3/20/2010 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I'm almost afraid to rave about this because I don't want to jinx it, you know? But this is too good to keep to myself. My skin is very acne prone, very fair, oily but prone to surface dryness-- a general nightmare. I haven't had good luck with any of my numerous US sunscreen purchases. So anyway, this is absolutely the first daily use sunscreen I've been happy with, and I'll tell you why:
- I've been using it for several weeks with no breakouts
- It doesn't make me oily, and my makeup goes on smoothly over it
- There is no obnoxious smell!
- Once it has sunk in, it feels virtually weightless and non-existent on my skin
- Doesn't irritate my eyes
The only minor bad points are the price, the slight shine left behind (easily powdered over) and the slight whitening cast, which is practically invisible on me but would probably be worse if you have medium-ish or darker skin. I know certain sunscreens, especially Euro, are more protective but this is a great option if those haven't worked out for whatever reason.
I should also mention that my post acne hyperpigmentation (pink/red marks) are finally fading and my acne has generally seemed milder since I started using it, which I credit at least in part to the niacinamide. Awesome stuff! continued >>