EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This is the best stuff for acne prone skin. It hasn't cause a breakout yet and for me that is rare. The finish is a little shiny, but a good loose powder and touch ups throughout the day make it worth it. I just really needed a sunscreen that didn't break me out and this is the only one so far that I have found. There is no fragrance and it goes on clear. HG for now!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This sunscreen is the only one that I've repurchased over 7-8+ times and I will continue as long as they keep making it. My skin acutally looks better than it did when I first started using it last year!

I think it's IDEAL for oily and/or problematic skin types and excellent for all skin actually. In the winter I do use a moisturizer under it, but the rest of the year it's fine alone.

It has a dreamy light, almost gel/whipped textuxed that spreads wonderfully. You can fully work/pat it in without having to worry about it drying or balling up. I let it sit for 5 minutes, then apply mu.

If you think you can't do s/s, please give this one a try. It just might end up being your holy grail of S/Ss like it is mine! :)

OK.I already reviewed this.And as I read other peoples complaints about this SS leaving them shiny; well all you need is ONE pump for entire whole face.If you use more than that it is too much and that may be the reason for everyone being shiny.( I used to use 2 pumps and my face stayed shiny for few minutes)Then i tried to use less.And wow!! pump is more then enough for my entire face! And one more thing- keep spreading until its matte.I had that happened before(when i used too much) and then just kept spreading it on and the shine was gone.Truly-check your usage and you wont have shine problem at all(white cast is out of the question-i am trying it everyday !) Just my two cents. For me it has been the HGSS for more than year.There is nothing better out there,i tried them all .if i missed on something,please don,t hesitate to tell me Thanx .Elta MD lover.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Had to get this ordered in from the states, as I could not find any UK based outlet unfortunately and UK ladies the international shipping price on some of these sites are pure EXTORTIONATE..... anyway, just for reference in case you're interested, I got mine from radiantskinclinic and their shipping price was one of the most reasonable (about 15) and the product also had small discount. They impressed me actually because the product arrived in like a week, they were pretty efficient with me.

Onto the product, I'm very break-out prone and my experiences with sunscreen have usually been negative. I began to avoid it at all costs because I couldn't deal with the heaviness, greasy-ness, stress of re-application, clogged pores and blah blah. I now have freckles on my cheeks and various other sunspots/discolouration and I guess uneven skin in general. Yay for me........

So I've forced myself back into the sunscreen market and WOW I feel SO lucky to have found this product. Is it heavy on the skin? Nope. Is it greasy? Nope! Did I break-out? NO! In fact, I forget I'm wearing sunscreen at all. It just feels nothing like Anthelios or the others I've tried. It's like a light healthy lotion. I don't need to use any special cleanser to remove it. It's almost just become an invisible part of my skincare regime, it's just there and doesn't disrupt my skin in any way. And at the moment, my skin is as clear and balanced as it has ever been. I've used this for about 1 month now and I'll never change again. Bring on the hot summer rays!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is the BEST sunscreen for oily skin EVER!!!! I have tried them all (well, almost, I am sure!!! LOL), and this is by far the best in terms of great sun protection, non oily, non comedogenic and a smooth, non-greasy finish. I was told by my dermatologist that I needed to use a titanium dioxide or zinc oxide based sunscreen as I have melasma and that other sunscreens would not provide sufficient screening for the melasma with my current bleaching treatment and retin a treatment.

This product is the BEST!!! I have not yet found anyone locally that sells it, but have ordered it online from SkincareRX, and the price was $28.70 cdn each, so not bad at all in my opinion, and quick shipping. I have emailed the company to see if there is anyone selling it locally but chances are that it would probably have the price jacked up anyway.

ANYWAY.....if you have not tried this sunscreen, and you have oily skin, you should really try this, it is awesome!!!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this in the Spring of this year from my Derm. This is the first sunscreen that I used that: 1) I didn't break out 2) It actually works (no new sun damage this whole summer) Yay! I've tried many brands and still had some pigmentation from the sun. This stuff really works! I cleanse in the morning then I apply my moisturizer and then a thin layer of this. I wait about 10 minutes for everything to soak in and then I apply my primer and foundation. For the days that I am outside longer I will reapply this. There is also a sports (waterproof) one that I will pick up next year for the days that I am outdoors. This will be a forever ritual in my skincare regimen. I can't say enough... I love it!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this sunscreen! I was using Dermaquest Skin Therapy Solar Protection SPF 15, but it was irritating my skin a bit. After reading all the positive reviews of Elta MD UV Clear, I decided to try it. The Dermaquest and the Elta cost about the same (the Elta is slightly cheaper, but you get slightly less product, so the per-ounce cost is nearly identical). The Elta feels slightly lighter than the Dermaquest, which has been great on hot, humid days. I find it to feel very soothing to my sensitive skin; I haven't had any of the irritation issues I had with the Dermaquest. I like the high percentage of zinc oxide and niacinamide, which are both soothing to my skin, which has never looked better! And the packaging is great too--a pump that dispenses just the right amount for my face each morning. The only thing that could make this sunscreen better would be a lower price, but I order online with a discount, so that helps, and facial skincare is one of the few places in my life where I carefully and selectively splurge. Overall, I can't recommend this product highly enough for anyone with combination-to-slight-oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin.

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5%. Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

UPDATE: Elta MD has quietly changed the ingredients in this sunscreen so it now has cyclopentasiloxane, which seems to break out many people. I'm still fine with it, but I wanted to update my review with the current ingredients list.

New Ingredients
Active Ingredients: 9.0% Zinc oxide, 7.5% Octinoxate. Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane. continued >>

As usual, the best, safest sounding sunscreens are always the ones that end up bombing for me.

Straight out of the (very lovely, opaque) pump, it looks and feels promising. Extremely light. Easy to spread, seems to blend right in.

Unfortunately, that's where the positive attributes ended. This stuff left me SHINY. It effectively oozed through my powder foundation within about 2 hours of application. At 10am, after driving to work and sitting in a freezing office for an hour, I looked like I had run a marathon in the blazing heat.

Not to mention that, although it looked light and non-masky, it made my face feel tight and slightly itchy even.

Then the final insult, after I soldiered on and continued to wear it for a week or so, tons of new clogged pores and just generally crappy looking skin.

Obviously this is a great product for a lot of people, but it is certainly no magic bullet!

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

In the past, I have tried virtually every mainstream sunscreen/block available. My skin cannot tolerate natural, chemical or even organic sunscreen.This product was just another disappointment. I bought this product with great hope,after reading many positive reviews in the media, and did not mind the steep price. My face broke out, and became rough after using this. It did not leave a white cast, but I cannot continue to use a product that ages instead of protects my skin. I will use the remainder on my neck and chest. Zero stars!

I don't usually write product reviews but I just had to write a review for this sunscreen as I have tried many sunscreens over the years and really not been happy with many until now.
To me a great sunscreen is one that you like so much that you automatically use it every day without dreading the goopy feeling most sunscreens have especially at an SPF of 46.
I had previously tried the Obagi sunscreen as it had gotten good reviews here but found it heavy and really did not want to use it.

Tried Elta 46 about two weeks ago and I love it, no breakouts, just apply it after I use a light moisturizer and it sinks right in. Slightly white when applied but absorbs quickly so I can put on my foundation.
I am 65 and have pretty good skin and hope to keep it that way with my new sunscreen favorite.