Lucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

Olive tan....oil control formula. It covers soo well I use this as a concealer. I still use Pur minerals in Light Tan for my whole face. The two work perfectly together for me. I tried Korres rose foundation in Tan, but the color was soo off my skintone. Terra Firma's shades disappointed as well, as did Jane Iredale which covered nothing...ugh!

After trying the sample jar, I felt confident buying the larger and feel like nothing else out there will match my skin as well or give it the insane coverage this one does. It's perfect. The jar is a little ugly, but I can live with that.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Maybe I'm just applying it wrong, but I cannot seem to get this foundation to look right! It is rather creamy for a powder, so it's hard to blend it evenly across my face. It settles in places and looks patchy, cakey, and weird. I'm going to keep trying to work with it, since everyone else seems to have such success with it. It's not the absolute worst foundation I've ever tried, but it's far from the best, and if I can't learn how to make it look any better, I'm giving up on it.

on 3/10/2012 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is the best mineral makeup I have ever come across! I have tried BE(no staying power), Merle Norman(I still like but doesnt have nearly the same coverage)Joppa, Everyday Minerals, Mary Kay, Artistry, Silk Naturals, etc. I love the way it looks even without finishing powder and it does control oil for me for about 4 hours which is pretty good since I am very oily. I do have to retouch because it kind of pools by the very end of the day but minimal if I exfoliate twice a week. I got my mom hooked on it too and she loves, she and i have noticed that our complexion and skin clarity has improved vastly either by this makeup or by the Ambrosia oil from Lucy or both! This can be either medium or full coverage depending on application and brush used. I have never looked so flawless. All the great additions like antioxidants and antibacterials are a bonus. This is definitely HG Material!
This is great for fall and winter but will not hold up to my oily skin in the summer so I have switched to Merle Norman's Aqua Balancing and the Lasting Foundation which are awesome. Will probably try again with this in fall and winter.
I changed my rating back to a five lippie because it is hot here and it holds up great! I have hormone issues and this does not aggravate my skin at all. I figured out that my skin was overproducing oil and no makeup in the world would hold up now its under control and as far as colors go they might not have a lot of colors but the undertones are spot on and I am a wierd mix of yellow tan olive but they can mix so I have the perfect color
* Edit* I had to take off a lippie it caused me breakouts. If you want coverage this is it but for me I cant use it also caused me to feel itchy so maybe I m allergic to something in it.

on 3/8/2012 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love Lucy's minerals!!!! I have both the original formula and the Lucy Light formula. I started using the Lucy Light formula and liked it so much, I haven't given the original formula a fair shake. Anyhow, this review is going to be mostly for Lucy light, which is about the purest mineral makeup you can use on your skin.

I used to wear Everyday Minerals Intensive, but discontinued it because the color (I wore Multitasking Neutral) never seemed quite right (which wasn't a major issue, just a small niggling 'is there something better' out there?' thing) then they started messing with the formula. I kind of went off the company as a result and tried Lucy's and I could not be happier.

I wore Lucy's on my wedding day. The coverage was fantastic and lasted through the ceremony, a two hour open-top bus tour, dinner, and dancing. I started getting a little shiny about 9 hours after application. On the average workday, it will take me straight through with a few touchups that probably aren't necessary. As everyone mentioned, the makeup has a really creamy look to it that makes it a clear winner to the other mineral makeup out there. It doesn't look like a powder finish, which is pretty awesome.

Oftentimes, when I'm late and running for the train, I get a little sweaty. Sometimes EDM would streak on me, Lucy's has yet to do so. (Actually, two weeks ago, I was literally dripping with sweat. After a few dabs with a tissue and cooling off on the journey, I arrived to work with my makeup looking fabulous....no touch-ups required!)

The only thing I'm a bit meh about is the packaging. I do really like the flat round jars of EDM, and this is a taller narrower jar. The inside lid is lined, which---combined with its small size--makes it less than idea to dip a brush in and kind of clunky to boot. I suppose this cuts down on the potential of contamination though. Picking up on a tip on Lucy's webpage, I've started using a small tupperware jar to dip my brush in. I've actually found it works out better in the fact that my brush is evenly coated.

The customer service is completely unparalled. Absolutely fantastic! My dad is a small business owner, and I love supporting small businesses. It's easy to do when they make great products and have a passion for what they do.

For reference, I am NC20, EDM Multitasking Neutral (closest match)and wear Bisque.

UPDATE 1 YR LATER: Still using *LUCY LIGHT* and still absolutely LOVING it. I've tried the original formula, and just don't like it as much as the light forumula--it's a little too 'rich' and with the creaminess of it, I just find it a bit difficult to apply as a result.
Try the light formula!!!! It's the way forward!!! I swear the zinc in this must be helping my skin somehow. When I wear it everyday, I don't break out. (It might also be because when I'm wearing makeup, I probably touch my face less. Either way, it works, and I don't really care why. For that reason, I wear it even when I'm hanging around the house.) :) Oh, I also use EDM Kabuki brush to apply it, which I would also recommend.

p.s. Do be careful with the packaging, it's still the only thing I'm not entirely happy with. My jar got knocked around a little too much and the entire sifter came out! I ended up dumping the whole jar into my tupperware container, oops!!

on 3/8/2012 11:56:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Despite a terrible impression of mineral makeup [cough cough BE], this is wonderful and blows everything out of the water! Because my skin is dry AND dehydrated [mostly dehydrated, less dry than it used to be; doesn't flake but does catch all powder, and thanks to acne clogged pores and mother nature, has a very uneven texture, all further accentuated no matter WHAT I put on my face]. I believe the best method for application is the following:

moisturize. conceal spots/blemishes with a small brush. apply THIN layer by stippling and blending. ta da! Like any other powder, this looks cakey when overdone - and being a heavy foundation, it is very easy to overdo.

I'm South Asian and a fair-medium-ish olive toned, and seem to switch between warm and cool undertones. I match well to MUFE HD 120 and MUFE face and body 20. I am closest to the LM shade Creamy Olive. Because it's so highly pigmented, a little does go a long way - as long as you're buffing and blending.

Edit May 17 2012: I wanted to share one thing today that really stunned me. I put the two fdtn shades on my hand to try and compare in different lightings [I have gotten many, many, MANYYY applications out of these tiny sample jars ...count me impressed]. For all that these look like matte powders with a soft, satin skinfinish; for all that they look matte in the jar, matte on the skin, matte in artificial lighting, matte in direct natural lighting [no sun] ...the moment you take it out in direct sunlight, GLITTER OVERLOAD!! Where on earth did it come from?! I never saw it before! I mean, it's microfine but there is PLENTY of it; it's not chunky, but I am stunned at how I never saw it before. I literally only see it in DIRECT sunlight. Outside in the "shade" or inside in direct bright lighting by the window, it looks matte again with nary a hint of sparkle. What a bizarre surprise.

EDIT July 5, 2012
During a BOGO sale, I ordered two foundations, a finishing powder and a brush [finally! I had been waiting to justify a purchase, and this was the perfect excuse]. I accidentally received an incorrect shade, and Annie immediately emailed me back to let me know she would send the correct one and I could keep the other. Absolutely wonderful customer service! That alone, nevermind the wonderful pricing, quality product, and constant deals/freebies, is enough to keep me buying. I truly think she deserves to market this as a high end product [which it is] commercially. It is worth several times its price [but my idea of 'worth' might be skewed by artificially inflated goods lol]. This should definitely be in Sephora with its own display and a cute little placard telling its story.

on 3/8/2012 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

My very sensitive skin doesn't like this foundation - I have tried it at several occasions (about 10 times) and every time I wore it fore more than one day, I got giant cystic pimples. Last time I tried it, I had nearly perfect skin, and now I have to get rid of hyperpigmentation again... And normally, I don't get cystic pimples. This foundation gave me such a bad pimple, that an area of about an inch in diameter was affected, and now I have a scar...
I bought this when I was NC20 in MAC. I have an olive undertone, so the MAC's foundation was a bit too orange for me. The colour I got was Creamy Olive, which suited me PERFECTLY. I have NEVER come across any foundations that has such a good range of undertones! This oxidises a bit during the day though, which I don't like...it seems to get a bit more orange.
At the time I bought this, I had combination normal-oily skin (which later became dry because of Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua), s I have tried this ut on several skin types, you can say. I really don't like the finish of the foundation: it's almost... metallic while still being matte. My oils break through the foundation within an hour. One thing that really annoyed me was that, like all mineral foundations, I believe, this too accentuated pores. My pores are actually small and I almost never get blackheads, but this foundation made me look like I had big pores.
Next thing: I don't like the feel of this mineral makeup - I actually can feel it on my face better than liquids. Although everyone says minerals let your skin breathe and everything, I feel hot and sweaty under it... I have dry skin and minerals sometimes make my oily - can't be good. Even if I applied with a fluffy brush and only put on a little, it still had this effect.
Good thing: this is excellent at covering redness, so this is very good for people that don't have problems with zits or scars, but mainly redness - for people that usually like to use powders to even out their skin tone and hide their redness, this will be excellent, as long as you are NOT sensitive.
As all powders, this too transfers. It is especially nasty when I get a little oily - it then begins to feel like clay on my face.
So, would I recommend? I feel that if the texture of your skin is uneven, this may not be a good idea. If you have hyperpigmentation, this will probably be good. If you have a pretty even skin tone, but your problem is redness, go ahead and try this. If you have oily skin, try the powder-foundation for oily skin, because your oils are going to make this one circle your pores quite fast. I wouldn't recommend this if you want a lot of coverage - it's possible to cover almost anything with it, but I think this then becomes a bit too obvious and you may feel hot under it. Do NOT BUY if you have sensitive skin!!!

on 2/20/2012 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Firstly, I live in the UK & was told it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive & it only took 6 days!:)
I have the oil control OCC version & can say it is one the best foundations I have ever tried as it doesnt accentuate my pores, break me out or look cakey! It has good lasting power, coverage and colour also. I managed to find my perfect shade through purchasing 2 samples at $2 each. I will probably continue to use this foundation over my current revlon colorstay foundation

on 2/11/2012 11:01:00 PM

I love this foundation! I am 31 years old, and ever since I started wearing makeup I have always used drugstore bands. For the last 7 years or so I have used Neutrogena healthy skin enhancer as my foundation & physicians formula pressed powder. I liked this combo because it was light on my skin & offered good sun protection. However, I have suffered from acne & oily skin since I was 13yrs old. The only time my face has been clear was when I went thru a course of accutane, it cleared me up for about a year. My derm recommended a 2nd course, which I wasn't ready to do. So after 18 years of having derms telling me that which makeup I used didn't really matter, I FINALLY decided to do some research about makeup & its effect on oily acne prone skin. My skin is quite sensitive also. Sooo, long story short I found makeup alley & decided that mineral makeup might be the way to go. I found Lucy Minerals and was really impressed with the formulation of the "Lucy Light" foundation. It has very few ingredients, which I figured would be great for my reactive skin. But what sold me on trying is that you can order little try it sizes for $2. I loved this! I was able to order a bunch of different shades so I knew exactly which shade to order in the full size. Also, they are affordable, another big bonus for me. I then order their ambrosia serum & loved that too, but that's a whole different review:-) now I should mention that Lucy Minerals is my first venture into the world of mineral makeup, so I'm not exactly impartial. But this makeup is awesome! It covers way better than my old makeup and feels amazing on my skin. The application takes some practice, and you really, really, REALLY only need a very tiny amount. It goes a looong way! But once I realized how little I needed, it was no problem to get it to look great. I've never used makeup like this and it only took me two times to get the hang of it. So don't be intimidated, its not that hard. You will probably need a darker shade than you might think. Also I use the finishing powder 1st and last, this seems to cut down on the shiny. If you use a damp concealer brush and a little foundation it makes an outstanding concealer. It also seems to last most the day. I will absolutley keep using this make up and I highly recommend it. The price is reasonable too considering how long it lasts you, because again you only need TINY amount for excellent coverage. As a side note, after 18 years of constant, chronic acne, my face is covered in new blemishs & lots of old scars. This makeup makes me look nearly flawless. I love, love, love Lucy Minerals! Oh yeah, they always give you free gifts when you order too! What a great company!

on 1/28/2012 12:05:00 AM

I really wanted to like this makeup. I was looking for an alternative to BE. I have oily skin and acne prone. I have gotten my skin to be semi okay with BE, besides the monthly hormonal breakouts. Before I tried this makeup my face was pretty clear, just had some pesky blackheads and some small bumps. After 2 weeks of using Lucy my skin started breaking out in bad cystic acne and white heads. It started to spread out along my jaw and starting getting acne on the corner of my forehead (which never has happened to me before) I have never had acne this bad. I had to make a dermatologist appointment. I am thinking one of the ingredients just didn't agree with me. I am not saying this will happen to you... Most of the reviews for Lucy's is awesome. It does cover wonderfully and looks good on your skin. I just happen to have very sensitive skin. Bottom line is you never know till you give it a try. Good luck. I have yet to find a great foundation for me.

on 1/25/2012 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I'm soo disappointed that this foundation didn't work for me. I have oily, acne-prone, and recently sensitive skin and wanted to find a mineral makeup that worked. I ordered a bunch of samples in all different colors, and none of them matched my skin. I tried mixing them together in every combination, still no match. They all have such a pink undertone, that I looked like I just put a light blush all over my face. It also has poor coverage, it didn't cover my acne scars at all, and concealer looked very caked under it. On top of all that, it didn't blend in..it just sat on top of my skin and was obvious I was wearing powder. Despite the color, it did not look natural on me. Unless you have a pinkish undertone and clear even skin, I would not recommend it. This was one of the worst I've tried, nothing good about it =/