April 24, 2014 | 1876 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by Sarsonator

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this once or twice per week in a mask with honey and/or yogurt. I leave for 20-30 then rinse. This takes redness out and gives my skin a lovely clarity. I also made a powdered face wash and included turmeric. I added Vicco turmeric cream to my skin care regime... Can't get enough turmeric! LOL. It's one on my new HG items! I have a separate washcloth and towel so I don't stain my good linens!

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2012 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I get raw turmeric and make a paste of it by rubbing it with water on a flat stone (the old-fashioned way herb pastes are made in India). I also add red sandalwood to the rubbing mix. Turmeric gives a healthy, beautiful glow to the skin.

Turmeric, especially in the raw form is amazing. I had split my chin in an accident and a tablespoon of turmeric was applied by Mum, on the gaping wound. According to the doctor, this shortened the healing period significantly. Of course, 10 stitches were still required but there was no infection in the wound.
Raw turmeric root can also be pickled and eaten.
Beware of ready-made turmeric powder especially from unreliable sources, as they can contain contaminants which will only worsen the skin problems or 'burn' the skin!

Products provided by nature such as turmeric, neem etc should not be attempted to be 'patented' and if at all that is to be done, the native country growing these plants should be the one getting the 'product' patented.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2012 8:54:00 PM More reviews by 1stone

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

After reading about the anti inflamatory benefits of turmeric and with some hesitancy (as I have sensitive skin that does not respond well to several natural products that many people on this board review as being wonderful, olive oil being one of them) I mixed some turmeric with greek yoghurt (that I know my skin likes) but with no honey, as surprisingly my skin does not like honey (!) and I left it on for 15 mins.

The mask left my skin feeling very soft and exfoliated with no pinkness whatsover, the next day my normal tendency to get slightly pink on my chin and nose did seem diminished. I had no flakiness over the next few days at all, a big thing for me as extreme dryness and flaking is something that happens all the time when I veer away from my usual tried and trusted skincare and try new products or treatments.

Nothing dramtic happened, I am not now flawless and perfect (but I am sure that treatment IS out there, and I shall be painting it ALL over my body when I find it) other than my skin felt very nice and it did not irritate (huge for me) rather it did seem to soothe to some degree. Based on how soft and calmed my skin seemed I tried the mask again a week later with the same results. As for lightening of hyper pigmentation, well, that surely takes time with any product and remains to be seen as there is no lightening on my one hyperpigmented spot (that showed up this year out of nowhere).

From what I have read on this board and elsewhere turmeric has been used in India for centuries, and I do have a thought. . .I was cotton balling off a very slight residue of yellow (not visible to the eye) even after washing my face, showering and washing my face again . . . if I had lovely golden Indian skin (instead of being pale) I wonder if that slight yellow cast, even barely visible, might actually look nice and sort of even things out, in a purely cosmetic way?

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by shannon804

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Indian women have used turmeric to brighten their complexions for many years. As a kid, I thought it was gross and total BS, but as an adult, I've realized that it really does work. The way my mom does it is to mix some turmeric in powder form with enough coconut or olive oil to make a paste. Then massage the paste into your face and allow to sit. I usually leave it for about 20 minutes, and rinse it off in the shower. I haven't noticed any stains in my tub, but my skin is brighter and it's helped to fade some dark spots on my face. You could probably mix this with honey or yogurt, too, but my oily skin loves olive oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 12:42:00 PM More reviews by manimau3685

Hi,
I have been reading reviews here forever! This is the first time I am writing about some product. For all those ladies who already know how wonderful turmeric is for skin I have some suggestions to make the process of applying this tedious mask.
1) Wear some gloves to save your fingers and nails from staining. Its that simple!
2) use a sponge to apply, the kind that you use for foundations.
3) It is always better to have some oil like jojoba, coconut, olive oil as an ingredient in turmeric mask as this helps stain less and when you use a cleanser the stains come out with the oil. Be careful if you have very sensitive skin or are allergic to oils. Trust me when you take off the mask with water just pat dry using a paper tissue. I bet there will be no stains on your face and hands. THIS IS THE BIGGEST TRICK FOR USING A TURMERIC MASK. Do this and tell me how it worked for you guys!
4) I always wash my face in the kitchen sink, as its easy to just spray some bleach on it once in a week.
I hope this will make applying a turmeric mask easy for you.
And trust me it works!!!
My exact recipe: 3 heaped spoons of gram flour, 1 spoon of turmeric, 2 spoons of coconut oil, 2 spoons yogurt. Mix well and refrigerate for future uses.

24 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 12:46:00 AM More reviews by lily91491

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Tumeric is amazing for sensitive irritated skin. mix tumeric with aloe vera gel and leave it on for as long as you wish. 20 minutes at least. gently massage it off and your skin will be glowing, smooth, and calm. its amazing. ive been using it for 2 years now

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 12:03:00 AM More reviews by lewilyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

With honey, this is the best spot corrector for inflamed acne. Mix little honey and turmeric till it forms into a paste. Use as a spot corrector (I use cotton buds) after washing your face with mild soap and leave it for 1 hour. My acne dried after using this for 2 days (in the evening only). A little goes a long way, you may refrigerate unused portion.
For just 1 week, I have seen drastic improvements on my face; no new acne forming, existing acne all dried up and the black marks left by my old acne which were burned by spot correctors are also showing some improvements.
To avoid drying up my face, instead of using soap to remove the yellow stains, I massage my face with ground oatmeal paste (ground oatmeal mixed with a little warm water).
Edit: 3/31/2012
I have found another good use for this. I infuse olive oil and castor oil with turmeric by mixing 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp castor oil and 1 tsp of turmeric powder. This serves as my cleansing oil before using my facial wash.

Use small amount to massage unto face, tissue out and wash with lukewarm water and facial wash.

I no longer use toner and moisturizer cause I've been breaking out with any such commercial products.

I'm tempted to prick because several small pimples which used to be underneath my skin surface and blackheads are slowly coming out. Till now, no new big inflamed acne is forming.

My daily routine:

Evening:

Massage with turmeric infused cleansing oil, wash with gentle facial wash and lukewarm water to remove oil and lightly massage with ground oatmeal paste to soothe and moisturize. Alternately (after every two days) with:

Regular face wash, turmeric honey mask (sometimes with ground oatmeal paste) and oatmeal paste to remove yellow stains.

Morning:

Wash with regular facial wash and massage with oatmeal paste to soothe and moisture.

Two weeks on this routine has really improve my face's condition.My super oily face requires blotting 4 to 5 times in a 10-hour period while working (in a fully air conditioned room). But now, I just blot once during lunchtime.

Edit April 18, 2012.
I've stopped the turmeric-oil mixture. While it deeply cleans and minimize my pores, it caused some breakouts. I continue the turmeric, oatmeal, honey routine and for more than a month, not perfect skin but a lot BETTER.... from very oily to less oily skin, clogged to clean pores, less break out and new breakout are cured in less than a week with very minimal scarring. I still have to deal with old acne scars which shows minimal improvements but definitely healthier and smoother skin.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2012 More reviews by sofia2723

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Holy cow, this product STAINS like no other.
Not only does it make my skin look yellow after I take it off, it stains everything else. My rug, the sink, the floor etc.
I wasn't being messy either. The tumeric turns back into powder form after it's been on your face for a while, and it falls off the carpet and stains it.

I only used this mask once, and didn't bother to use it again, so I don't know about the skin miracle that everyone is raving about.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand the hype over this. I've only tried it twice, but that was enough for me. Both times, my light scars actually seemed to darken and my skin broke out everywhere and just looked red and irritated. It seems to have the exact opposite effect that everyone else is describing. Perhaps I'm allergic to it. Whatever the case, turmeric is definitely not for me!

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by fatimaaraja

I use turmeric powder, mix in egg white, honey and milk to make it pasty and apply it to my face as a mask. I leave it on for at least 20 minutes or until it's like completely dried on my face. I absolutely love it!!!!! It is really good for if you have uneven skin tone because you will deff notice a huge difference and it will be more even and it def gives a nice glow. I looooove it!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No