August 22, 2014 | 1180 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2012 1:09:00 PM More reviews by jlnort01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I ingest Turmeric (1tsp. once per day) and it has helped tremendously with my rosacea. Redness is significantly diminished. I don't put it on my skin, just mix it with 8 oz. milk (it has to have a fat to catalyze with and ensure proper absorption). Turmeric has many health benefits, reducing inflammation is just one of them! If you haven't considered drinking / eating it, try it. My rosacea redness was visibly and noticeably reduced within three days.

38 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2012 2:31:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

I like this stuff but I also have some complaints. My face broke out recently due to having to take prednisone and then go off of it for a health issue. Purely hormonal. I used this during that time mixed into my cleanser, as a mask mixed with yogurt and as a spot treatment mixed only with water and dabbed on and left on. As a spot treatment with water it seemed to help. It didn't make my acne disappear or my face stop breaking out but it did seem to keep the smaller pimples that started coming from turning really big. Supposedly it is an anti-inflammatory and it did seem to make everything less red and puffy. I also read somewhere it has anibacterial properties which is nice for keeping the acne from spreading. I haven't tried a ton of products but asprin, tea tree oil, baking soda, toothpaste and drug store spot treatements all make my acne worse so Turmeric gets three stars cause it actually is effective.
That said, I don't like the fact that due to the color of this I can't wear it during the day out of the house. I also don't like the temporary stains on my face and hands from applying it. It is messy to use and I have to worry about it staining. It dries and falls off my face which means I have to reapply. I have to worry about it getting on my pillow, clothes, etc. After using this for several days in the same area my face started feeling raw so you do have to make sure you don't overuse though I got plenty of warning before actually damaging skin. I tried this in a bath and besides staining my body it seemed to make my leg veins more prominant. No clue why but I didn't like that or my yellow bath tub.
I have read that this product can inhibit hair growth. I don't know if you could use this on your face to cut down on facial hair or not or if you would have to leave it on so long your whole face would get stained yellow. I tried to avoid my eyebrows when I used it as a mask for this reason though. I also read it can fade a tan which some people might not like.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2012 11:22:00 AM More reviews by KilllJoysMakeSomeNoise

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've only used this for a very bad case of poison ivy on my face. I was warned that it might stain my skin for a little while, which it did, but it helped the poison ivy more than anything else I've tried. It dried it up so well with only an application of one mask left on for 20 minutes. I mixed the powder with egg white and plain yogurt, mixed and left on for 20 minutes, as I've said. When I removed my face did have a little stain to it, but after I washed a few times that side effect was gone. In two days my poison ivy was almost all dried up and on its way to healing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by MissNRI

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Here in Bengal (India) turmeric is a very important part of our culture. We use it for a wedding ceremony called gaee holud, where the bride has turmeric powder put on her so she can have soft and glowing skin for her wedding day. But it is also used in all sorts of everyday skincare remedies as well. My mother swears by a mixture of turmeric, cinnamon and lemon juice as a toner, which I don't recommend unless you have very very oily skin (like she does.) I think the best way to enjoy the benefits of turmeric is with a masque made from turmeric powder and water and applied once or twice a week. Also turmeric can make a good spot treatment for little hormonal blemishes. It really does make skin soft and glowing and is cheap and easy to find.

32 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2012 12:43:00 AM More reviews by sandrabati

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I buy turmeric oil and add it to a bottle of olive oil I keep in the bathroom. this works as the best body moisturizer i have ever used. i put it all over including my face. it works well and is dirt cheap. sometimes i mix it with jojoba, but on its own olive oil and turmeric oil work wonders. (i don't use the powder 'cause it is so messy)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2012 10:59:00 PM More reviews by libbylou972

I always wonder why so many people spend money on expensive facials with all kinds of chemicals when you can make so many fresh, natural and super effective mixes for dirt cheap. I love using turmeric in my weekly facials. I've tried turmeric using many different combinations. My favourite so far is to take an egg yolk and mix in 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric and 1/2 a teaspoon of matcha green tea powder. I apply it after exfoliating in the shower and leave it on for a half hour. The matcha and turmeric have lots of antioxidants which is great for protecting skin from free radicals, sun damage and premature aging. The egg yolk softens my skin and reduces the appearance of blackheads. It`s a gentle mask that is super good for your skin and gives it a healthy glow.
Some people find that turmeric stain can be hard to rinse off, especially for those with fair skin. With this recipe I haven't had too much of a problem with that. I just soak a washcloth (that you aren't worried about getting dirty) in warm water and apply it to my face to get it all off. When I use plain turmeric paste for a mask I have stained my skin but a good tip is to use some baking soda and olive oil to remove any stain. To be safe only do a turmeric facial at night when you aren't planning to leave the house. I've never had a problem getting the leftover stain off the next morning in the shower.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2012 2:29:00 PM More reviews by nkar23

i have it around my spicerack anyway, and i used to use this mixed with some regular plain yogurt (unflavored of course). you can also squirt in a splash of lemon juice and apply as a mask.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2012 11:37:00 AM More reviews by lovely08

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've known about turmeric for awhile. I tried it years ago and used turmeric from either an american or Indian grocery store. I mixed it with water and applied it on but it was so messy and really made no difference with my acne. I only noticed back then that it made my skin a little smoother. I never used it again after that because the mess wasn't worth it to me. Looking back I realize I should have mixed it with milk. I recently had cystic acne and I applied a mix of turmeric and milk, left it on for a couple of hours (got busy) and when I rinsed it off, um let's just say an explosion happened. If you have dealt with cystic acne, you know this is a GOOD thing.

Anyway, I recently started using it again about a month ago. My focus now is getting rid of acne scars so all I do is mix a bit of turmeric with water and apply it with my fingers. I am using organic turmeric I bought awhile ago at Whole Foods and I don't know if i'm imagining things but I notice a HUGE difference. This turmeric doesn't stain as much as the turmeric I bought years ago. I even apply the paste with my fingers and when I wash my hands, the stain is almost invisible. Yes it stains my face like always but it doesn't stain it and my surroundings as much as the turmeric I used years ago. That was a DISASTER and I don't blame people for wanting to back away from it because of that.

Another thing I have noticed because my skin is now alot more sun sensitive due to alot of over-exfoliation and i've started to notice that this REALLY helps protect my skin against the sun (even with eating a healthy diet and getting my oils and fats in). I'm talking more so than just applying sunscreen, antioxidant serum (i don't use vitamin c though), rosehip seed oil and makeup with sunscreen. All those things help but turmeric goes above and beyond from what i've consistentently experienced. As previously stated, I make a paste with water and turmeric at night, apply it with my finger, leave it on for 30 minutes and after washing it off my skin is so smooth (and tinted of course!). The next day, I apply sunscreen as usual and whatever else and I can go through the day not feeling my face wrinkling up whenever the sun hits my face. This is amazing for me, especially during the summer here in Texas. On top of that, it's really clearing up my old and recent blemishes. The biggest one from the recent cystic acne is clearing up nicely. I'm so happy! I plan to either do the mask every 2 days or so or just apply grind it up to make it finer and add it to my moisturizer like someone claimed Thandi Newton does. Must do more research! So yeah, Turmeric really has amazing benefits to the body (even more powerful benefits when taken internally). It's going to be my power product this summer! I'll try to come back with an update in the next couple of months.

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2012 6:30:00 PM More reviews by sll74

i read that actress thandie newton adds tumeric to her facial lotion. i got the idea to add it to my mineral makeup. i'm brown with yellow undertones. i didn't add a ton but hopefully i added enough to get the anti-inflammatory effects. it looks nice and there are no adverse effects. this sounds easier than dealing with a mask, etc. i'll continue to do it.

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2012 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

Tried it out as a novelty, I don't have breakout, allergic nor pore issues, it did nothing for me, except I look jaundice for 3 days. I can still use it for cooking, no.