July 30, 2014 | 1892 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2010 8:12:00 PM More reviews by ParisTroika

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So, I have to say this base SUCKS on its own. It creases instantly. BUT, I must admit I LOVE THIS BASE. Why? Because I don't rely solely on this base...I layer it OVER L'Oreal Decrease and my eye shadow DOES NOT BUDGE. The L'Oreal Decrease is drier in texture, but that alone does not help my shadow stay put. By mid-day, I'm in crease city. However, if I layer this over it, and put my base eyeshadow color over that (which varies depending on what look I go for that day)...I have no creasing, no straying, no smudges AT ALL. I've found my HG of eyeshadow bases.

No, for me it's not one product, but I have had no luck with anything else except when I layer. The stickier texture of this NYX base helps my shadow stay on and stay brighter throughout the day.

VERY happy!

UPDATE August 2012. This is still my HG combo (with the L'Oreal Decrease). I love it and will not stop using it as I cannot seem to find one product that gives me these great results. My eyeshadow lasted through fighting a wildfire!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 10:08:00 PM More reviews by Justicet2009

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Waste of money girlz. Creases bigtime and makes ur lids super oily in a matter of minutes. Did not make shadows last at all, just made the colors bleed together and look very muddy.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2010 7:16:00 AM More reviews by UDMAC

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i have to completely disagree with the review below. this stuff is a dry pastey feeling creme shadow that doesnt help my es last like how mac does. macs is smooth but it dries to a crepey dry finish especially if you over apply it.its not sticky at all. this on the hand turns greasy after a few mins of application, and it altered the color of my es to a dull color. also, the shade didnt match my lids at all. i have oily lids and this and the pearl one does nothing to help creasing. im not sure if the reviewer below is reviewing the same product. this stuff comes in a small PLASTIC tub with a white cap, and i believe NYX doesnt even carry any mu in glass containers... oh and i purchased mine for almost 8 bucks. what a rip for such crap.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2010 5:59:00 AM More reviews by glitteradi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Packaging is great, it is a glass jar like MAC paintpots and you can get every bit out of it. The product works fine for me but I have a problem with the shade being but too dark for me so I usually dont be able to spread it up to my browbone. I am NW 20. I love that this is matte. Thsi is not super sticky, if you need something super sticky I recommend the MAC cream color base.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2010 6:21:00 AM More reviews by ltn

This product is great for such a low price. I got mine at Ulta for under $4. I use this eyeshadow base for everyday wear. This is not as long lasting as UDPP. My eyeshadow will fade after about 6-8 hours. I only wear this to school and work. I recommend investing in UDPP for going out and special occasions. But this eyeshadow base will work fine for daily use.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2010 7:03:00 PM More reviews by ceradova

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product! I used to use UDPP as an eye primer before I switched to this one. UDPP dried really fast, creased, and tended to be drying on my skin. Since I have dry combination skin, I needed a creamier formula. Since I got this, there's been no creasing, no drying, and the formula is thick and easy to spread on the lids.

This also holds on to eyeshadow really well and doesn't crease much. I would highly recommend this for dryer skin, and for people who seek a creamier formula.

The trick to avoid creasing is to apply a thin layer on the lids, and that will be enough to hold on to the eyeshadow.

As for the eyeshadow being a darker shade, I didn't really have a problem with it because it will be covered by eyeshadow anyway. Since I'm an NC25-30 shade, the base wasn't that much darker.

Overall, this eyeshadow base is almost a steal - I think I paid $6 for this. It's a great product and it will last for a while.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2010 6:42:00 AM More reviews by MandieJ

This base did make it easier to apply the eyeshadow but by the middle of the day I always have big creases! Avoiding creasing is the reason I buy base in the first place so big thumbs down for me!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by mavessie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Though it did make my eyeshadow application easier, it did not help my eyeshadow stay on my lid throughout the day. I kind of noticed it melting off my eye liner and shadow. I'm still looking for my HG lid primer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2010 5:36:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love it or hate it, it works for me. Most primers, including the infamous UDPP don't work for me because they have bismuth and I'm allergic to it, so I can only use ones that don't.

I don't have really oily lids but I do need something to even them out and give my e/s something to cling to. I was initially hesitant to go back to primers in jars (I used BeneFit FYEye for years) because they're not as easy to apply when you have nails like I do and require a brush, but this is worth it. Got it cheap on eBay and apply a little (VERY little- too much will crease) with a small concealer brush and it creates a nice smooth canvas that makes my e/s go on nicely, look more vibrant and last all day. The 'skin tone' shade is perfect for me (NC20-25) but I can see where it could be too dark and/or warm for fairer or cooler skin tones. It is a bit difficult to blend over, but once you do it's there for good. But, the shade works for me so well that I sometimes also use it as a concealer (I read somewhere it's the same product with a different name), and it works amazingly well that way too. It's a nice little item to have on hand since I can use it as a 2-in-1 product. I don't really know the specific differences in 'base' vs. 'primer' but this works for me and that's all I care about :) It's also taking me a while to get through the jar since you need so little but if I use it up and something better doesn't come along. I actually did buy it again, in the white shade to bring out the color in my non-neutral e/s and it works exactly the same as the skin tone and is probably just their Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk, in a jar.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2010 8:10:00 PM More reviews by mdbutee

Well, it seems you either love or hate this product! For me it did not do what it said it would - imagine that! Package says and I quote: "To hold, intensify and last longer. Set base camp for true stay on, stay put and stay long eye shadow colors"
Well, it started off OK, they always do but then ...it creased, creased, creased. An absolute deal breaker for a product that claims it will make my eyeshadow "stay put". This will be relegated to short term wear when staying power is not so important. Will not repurchase.