April 21, 2014 | 1196 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2013 11:38:00 PM More reviews by yeeseeniia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ordered this from thebalm.com when they had it for 50% off... Was SOOOO stoked about it because I've been reading so many good things about if. So I tried it and it was not what I expected.... I think it maybe my skin tone is too dark? It looked powdery and chalky... I kept wearing it though bc idk I want a highlight! Lol... So I'm not a foundation user AT ALL I only wear the mac studio fix and today I happen to try it with foundation and OMG!!! Made all the difference it looks so much better! Not chalky and just glowy! So so glad! I still don't like foundation though, so I guess I'll just wear foundation on my cheeks so the highlighter looks good -__-

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 11:58:00 AM More reviews by angelababyT

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

its a soft smooth great highlighter , good on my nc20/25 skin tone and darker like my sister. too faced highlighter was too rough on my skin and i very much prefer theBalm's products due to their high quality, go and try it out and feel it on your skin, its finely milled and comfortable on the skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 1:39:00 AM More reviews by mikxoh

if you have this then SKIP THE DIOR AMBER DIAMOND.

no, seriously. it gives the same lovely glow as amber diamond for a lot less. I'm going to sound a bit hypocritical here because I do own both amber diamond AND mary lou manizer. let me explain!

I actually bought the dior highlighter way before this guy. the only reason why I caved in and got this highlighter is because I snagged it for half off during thebalm's 50% sale. such a deal I just could not pass up - sue me D:

but yes, this highlighter makes you look glowy - not shiny/oily! I'm definitely done with purchasing any other highlighters since hitting pan on this thing (and on the dior one) is going to happen in like...never.

even at full price, this product is still worth it. if you love highlighters, don't pass this one up!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 8:30:00 PM More reviews by katelovesss

This product is everything I've been looking for in a highlighter, a champagne shimmer that blends beautifully. It is a finely milled, buttery consistency that can be layered and built up for an intense highlight or lightly dusted on for a really natural, barely noticeable glow.

I've had trouble with highlighters looking very fake, glittery or chunky on my skin, I have none of those problems with Mary Lou, the colour doesn't look harsh against my pale skin and it lasts all day.

Good amount for your money, compact can be a little hard to open but has a big mirror. I can't imagine using another highlighter after finding this one. Does the job perfectly, can't recommend it highly enough (especially for paler people).

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by surrealreality

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

About Me: Fair with warm yellow undertones (about an NC18 right now, only quite a bit more yellow toned). Hazel eyes that look blue in daylight. Natural brunette currently dyed aubergine purple with a lot of deep red and copper highlights.

Color: A light champagne with very subtle golden tones. I really expected this to be more golden than it is given the way it looks in a lot of swatches. Great color for both warm and cool skin tones.

Finish: This is an intense highlighter and is probably not the right choice if you're looking for a subtle glow. However, the shimmer is fine... no chunky glitter. I find I do have to be careful when applying this.... it's very pigmented and easy to overdue. MAC's 188 works very well for that purpose. It's also pigmented enough to wear as eyeshadow.

Texture: Buttery, easy to swatch and pick up with a brush, but not too soft/powdery. Very easy to blend.

Wear Length: 4 hours with my normal application (on top of foundation and setting powder), which is decent for me (MAC MSFs only give me about 2). However, I can get up to 8 hours if I mist my face with water or finishing powder after applying (MAC MSFs will give me about 6 when used this way).

Comparison: MAC's Beauty Powders are all far less shimmery than Mary-Lou. MAC MSFs in By Candlelight, Blonde, Readhead, & Brunette have about the same amount of shimmer as Mary-Lou, but also have the occasional larger chunk of glitter, which Mary-Lou does not have. Perfect Topping and Refined are actually a little LESS shimmery than Mary-Lou, but again... they both have the occasional larger chunk of glitter. Mary-Lou is far less sparkly/glittery than Soft & Gentle (but then again... what isn't?). The shimmer in any of Bobbi Brown's Shimmer Bricks isn't as smooth. Mary-Lou is more pigmented than any facial highlighter I've ever seen. If you liked the color of MAC's Too Chic BP, but found the shimmer too subtle, Mary-Lou is only very slightly more golden toned and of course, has a more intense shimmer.

Packaging: Awesome. Sleek and lightweight. Has a mirror and you get a huge amount of product (0.3oz).

Bottom Line: Very shimmery, but not glittery. Great color will look good on warm or cool skin tones. Possibly my favorite highlighter in my collection!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 5:53:00 PM More reviews by violetriot

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this highlighter is so pretty. Sometimes, I like to just open up the compact and stare at it. don't deny it, you know you do that with your makeup too ;)
I'm very picky when it comes to highlighters because I don't like looking like I got a handful of glitter thrown in my face. Beautiful champage, lightly golden shimmer powder. I think this is a pretty unique color, and the amount you get for the price is great! Mine did break after about a month but i poured some rubbing alcohol into the pan and mixed with a toothpick so that when the moisture evaporated the powder was like new.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2013 7:04:00 PM More reviews by Leeleegbb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a great highlighter. You also get ALOT of product for the price. I have used this as a highlighter, and on my eyes. it just gives a very nice shimmer.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2013 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Polydroogie

I loooove highlighters but it's hard to find one that is not glittery or too shimmery. The particles in this one are so small that it actually gives you an amazing glow, like you do have this amazing juicy cheeks.

I have acne prone combo skin and this thing has never broke me out. Not even once. It's such an amazing product!

Nars' highlighters are okay, but if you're looking for the ultimate highlighter without spending a fortune, this one is for you!

I recommend not applying with a brush but with your ring finger and give it a small blend. The product will warm up and it will blend easily that way.

a YAY!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2013 10:20:00 PM More reviews by trishthecat

Lovely highlighter! Will repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by LovesPromos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've been dying to try this highlighter. Everyone seems to rave about and when I've seen it being applied by YouTube gurus, I HAD to have it. I think we all know that feeling. So when I saw it on sale on hautelook, 50% off, I immediately bought it. And since I would have bought it regular price, I bought 2 to have one on backup. Let me just say, WOW. now, I'm a highlighter fiend, so I can compare it to Dior amber diamond and NARS albatross, Bobbi brown, ETC, but this highlighter gives a whole different kind if highlight. It's not glittery at all but when I apply it, it looks "wet" so it give you a really fresh look. Now I am now a medium skin tone and its awesome on me and it doesn't look like a white streak. It looks fresh and glowy. I think it'll look good on all skin tones. Highly recommend!