TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer

4.6

Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyethylene, Boron Nitride, Polyisobutene, PTFE, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491.

on 1/23/2014 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Gorgeous highlighter. Shimmery without that draggy glitter look. A complimentary colour for nearly all skin tones (works just as well on my friends with pale, peach undertones as it does on my medium beige yellow undertoned skin). The consistency is very smooth as it pretty finely milled like thebalms eyeshadows, and the product is very buildable. This highlighter is my "thin lizzy". Not in the sense that it would work as a foundation, bronzer, eyeshadow, morphine drip, dishwasher and whatever else thin lizzy claimed. But, it is my most multi-use makeup product. It lifts your cheeks, works beautifully under the brows, or as an all over eyeshadow, and even as a pretty blush above bronzer. Layering on top of my darker eyeshadows gives them a beautiful sheen as well. I personally wouldn't use this as a nose or Cupid's bow highlighter as it's too shimmery, but anywhere from your cheekbones and above it can do no wrong. The packaging is really cute, if you're into that gauche vintage benefit type (I am) and the price is actually very reasonable (I never say this about anything). Especially considering it should last you a year or more (I don't do light makeup ever, so trust me). In this digital selfie age I feel I should also point out that it photographs beautifully. Highly recommended.

on 1/18/2014 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Gorgeous product! Only need a little amount. I have been using this as an eyeshadow as well. Only thing I don't like is that mine is very hard to open.. It's not expensive, there is a lot of product in the packaging.

on 1/16/2014 5:56:00 PM

Bought on Amazon. Came broken of course as all the soft powder products are prone to breakage. Used a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to repair it. It is lovely and makes this old face look lovely. I'm not very good at contouring, but by highlighting, you are 'contouring' a little. The highlighted area pulls forward, and the others areas look recessed because of the highlighting. I would definitely buy again although this is a lot of product. I suspect it will last a long time. Hope they continue to make this for a very long time. I may get a backup just in case;-)

on 1/15/2014 3:55:00 AM

+ Buttery smooth
+ Large amount of product
+ Quality packaging

+/- Bam in your face

- May be too obvious to use for a no makeup makeup look
- Without a light hand it will be an overkill

This is an amazing highlighter. It is something you want to use for an evening look. It makes you literally glow without the chunks of glitter on your face. It is the most shimmery compared to my Bobbi Brown and Anna Sui highlighter. The packaging is sturdy and the picture on it is as humorous as theBalm always is.

Unfortunately, as pigmented as it is, you cannot lie of not wearing makeup when you have this on your face, no human can glow as bright as this is and without a light hand or blending, this will be an overkill. I do recommend using sparse bristled/tapered brush compared to dense and flat toped brush. Putting this all over your face will make you blindingly bright during the day (no, this is not good).

Still, this is something that is gorgeous to look at and gorgeous to wear.

on 1/11/2014 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my HG highlighter. The only one I've ever found that gives a lovely sheen instead of glittering. Even if you buy at full price is a great value because the compact will last you over a year. But I find that amazon and haute always offer it at decent prices. if you just want to try it I suggest buying theBalms Balm jovi palette. They named it different but the highlighter in that palette is Mary-Lou. (and its a great palette)

on 1/11/2014 6:57:00 PM

I have been eyeing this for possibly a year now and I finally got it. My only regret: Why didn't I get this sooner? The absolutely most brilliant highlighter to grace the face of the earth. I have tried many highlighters, including aurora gleam highlighter from illamasqua, high beam, watts up, the Dior Rose Diamond, and the Nars copacabana liquid highlighter. Nothing manages to make my skin look as illuminated and glowing as this. It is intensely pigmented so you have to use a light hand if you want it to be natural. I like to highlight my cheekbones and the high points of my face then blend and spread it downwards all over my face to give me this beautiful glow. I have also tried using this as an eyeshadow and it doesn't crease without primer on me (which is unheard of) so in that criteria, it actually works better than my Favorite Maybelline color tattoos, urban decay, stila, and wet n wild eyeshadows! Amazing stuff. You won't regret getting it.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I use it almost daily. The only time I don't use it is if I'm not wearing any makeup at all. I mainly use it as eyeshadow. As a wash from lash to brow, then whichever UD 24/7 pencil catches my eye that day plus lots of black mascara. This combination consistently yields compliments. I also do sometimes use it to highlight cheekbones, collarbone etc and it's fantastic for that too. Seriously, you cannot go wrong by having this in your arsenal. It's fantastic. You get a ton of product for the price and it just looks so darn good.

on 1/3/2014 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this online without testing based on the rave reviews. When I received it, I immediately swatched it on my wrist and was disappointed that it had glitter in it. I decided to give it a chance anyway, and I am so glad I did. This is an absolutely phenomenal highlighter. The glitter does not show up when blended into your face, you're instead left with a heavenly glow. I am glad that I didn't test it before I bought it, because the glitter would have turned me off completely.

You get an overwhelming amount of product, so it is an amazing value for such a high quality highlighter.

on 12/30/2013 5:16:00 PM

I'm loving this! It's my first time with a highlighter, but it goes on easily, & stays on all day. A little goes a long way, so I don't imagine that I'll be repurchasing this for oh, 5 years. I wasn't sure how much I'd be using it, but so far I've been using it everyday, it really just brightens my face up! I'm quite fair, but I think this is a nice neutral color that would work on many different skin tones.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a lovely champagne-gold highlighter that may actually be universally flattering. I used it on my mom for her wedding (her complexion is much more olive-toned) and it looked absolutely brilliant both in person and in the pictures. This highlighter is ALMOST as vibrant as a liquid highlighter, with the added convenience of being much easier to brush on. If you apply it with your fingers and then just use a brush to blend it out a little, it's just as vibrant as a liquid. I do this when I want more "oomf," at night or for pictures, but during the day I sweep it on with my E.L.F. Studio angled brush. I often use this as an eyeshadow too, from lash to brow bone, with just some eyeliner and mascara on days when I don't want to spend much time on makeup. It makes me look perfectly polished. This also perfectly compliments almost any eye shadow (except maybe silver and grey). You know how sometimes the highlight shade in your palette just doesn't quite have enough light-reflecting power? Sweep Mary Lou-Manizer lightly on top of the highlighter shade and it just enhances the shadow and makes a subtle but remarkable difference. I'm really glad I found this highlighter and with the generous amount you get I'm sure it will last me a long time even though I use it almost daily.

I have two complaints with this product, neither of which as deal-breakers for me: 1) The staying power is not quite that of a liquid highlighter that's been set with powder. Like many powders, it can rub off throughout the day especially if you touch your face. But it's not the worst staying power either and it should last just fine if you don't touch your face too much, it's not too hot, or you're not doing strenuous exercise. 2) It breaks really easily. I have had to put this product back together with rubbing alcohol twice now, and it didn't even fall very far either time. The same qualities that make it soft and blendable also make it very fragile. It just makes me think that if it HAS to be that breakable, it should be in a sturdier, more shock-absorbent case. TheBalm should fix that. Until then, DON'T DROP IT. Thankfully I have not lost any quality in the product by adding alcohol, and I would repair this highlighter again and again to keep it around.

I consider this HG now. P.s.- Check out eBay and Amazon when shopping for this, I found it cheap (and yes it is authentic!).

Top Rated TheBalm Products