Essie Mint Candy Apple

4.2

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Mint Candy Apple from the Winter 2009 Sweet Time of the Year collection by Essie is a pretty pastel mint green. Formula-wise it's very thin and needs three coats to become opaque; this has the tendency to pool in your cuticle if you aren't careful. It's a very unique mint, not too chalky but it is not too buttery either. Like an old fashioned peppermint from the early 1920s, it is a 'creme de menthe', not too yellow or too blue and very eye catching. I don't have a mint anything like this one in my vast collection. It's a love. And even though Essie claims it's LE it seems to be in the permanent collection in all the Ultas and salons I frequent. A must have. Only downside is the thin formula, but that can be forgiven once this polish is on your nails.

on 7/2/2011 1:52:00 PM

I was pretty disappointed in this np. I love essie usually, its one of my favs. But this formula is really weird! It is super gloopy on the first coat, but it usually works out by the second coat, but its usually pretty messy looking at the end, with a lot of clean up. I like the color a lot, but I feel like I can find a better formula. Won't repurchase.

on 6/30/2011 10:35:00 AM

Such a pretty colour. Formula is quite thin (needs 3 coats) and chips quite easily. I also hate the brushes essie supplies and am eagerly awaiting a OPI doppelganger. But the colour is so pretty i'd buy it again.

on 6/29/2011 3:52:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Love love love the colour, but unfortunately I found that it chipped easily. This could be more of a reflection on my nails as generally nail polishes don't last as long on me as they seem to on others, but it did seem to chip a lot quicker than other nail varnishes I've used (my average is about 4 days with a seche vite top coat, this chipped in about 2). despite this I would still buy it again as I love the colour so so so much!!

on 6/26/2011 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I love this shade, it's actually a pastel seafoam color IMO rather then a minty green. It's so gorgeous and is my favorite color to wear. I was always a pink girl but this shade is just so modern and pretty to wear. It covers perfect in 2 coats, dries quickly, and lasts for almost a week without chipping for me. I love how opaque it is and how it looks against my tan skin.

on 6/26/2011 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The name (Mint Candy Apple) is sort of deceptive. It's really more an aqua or robin's egg blue, I was expecting it to be more like China Glaze's Refreshmint, and that was a little disapointing. The formula was HORRIBLE it was streaky, gloopy, and chipped after 1 day. I've never been more disapointed in an Essie polish before.

on 6/10/2011 4:41:00 PM

While the color is nice, it's a bit deceiving. It definitely looks more mint in the bottle but dries to a robin's egg blue. My major issue with this polish is the application. It's extremely thick and goopy and I find it very difficult to get a smooth finish. Even with two coats, this polish tends to look streaky. Some of my nails needed a third coat in places for the color to be truly opaque. The color is not worth the effort it requires to get a decent manicure with this polish.

on 6/8/2011 7:31:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is a really beautiful color, but application was a little tricky. I felt like the lacquer was a little too thick, but that's common of pastel shades.

on 6/2/2011 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was on the hunt for a mint polish. I was deciding between Revlon's Minted or Essie's Mint Candy Apple, but decided on Essie after reading Revlon's Minted reviews. This polish is more aqua than mint, the green hues are quite faint in this which was a bit of a disappointment for me. Formula wasn't too sheer, two coats was enough to see an opaque colour. Last's fairly well, it's been almost one week of wear and I just started to notice some chipping near the tips. (this is without a top coat on).

on 5/29/2011 5:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I had high hopes for this nail polish but like others have said, the color isn't so true to it's name. I was hoping for a more greenish mint hue, but it turned out to be more blue/turquoise. As others have mentioned, I too found that the formula was INCREDIBLY hard to work with. It was streaky, thick, gloopy and just overall hard to control and to apply. I find myself hesitating when I reach for this color. It's hard to get an even application with this color and I was shocked b/c I'm a huge Essie fan and none of my other colors were hard to apply. So I find that the Essie pastel/creamy colors are pretty gloopy/streaky, whereas the non-creamy colors are okay.

Popular Polishes