April 19, 2014 | 848 users online

Hair - Apple Cider Vinegar

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 5:13:00 PM More reviews by mz_simmonz

My brother bought a big bottle of apple cider vinegar to use in a recipe that failed but I decided to use the rest for my hair, creating better results. His loss is my gain!

I saw a bunch of different "recipes" for preparing the ACV but I just made up my own. 1/2 cup of the stuff mixed with 2 1/2 cups of lukewarm water worked fine for me. I shampooed, rinsed, and squeezed excess water from my hair and gently coated my strands with the mixture, then pinned it up for 5-6 minutes while I showered. Rinsed it out, used a light-weight conditioner (you don't really need conditioner, as the ACV seems to detangle but I had to find some way to get ride of that SMELL). I allowed my hair to airdry and at first it was its usually poofy mess when damp/semi-dry but when my whole head air dried completely, I was amazed. My hair was very soft and shiny without having to put additional products in or heat styling. I used this method once a week for the last 3 weeks and the condition of my hair really improved.

Now for the CONS: yes it smells..even when diluted with water, it's pungent (obviously avoid the eye area) and will stink up your tub that problem is quickly solved by lathering up with a strong shower gel. The smell also does not linger in your hair once it dries, or just use a bit of nice smelling conditioner after the application of ACV. Last tidbit: don't use this on color treated hair, it's acidic and will chip away at your color. I saw a bit of a brown tinge within my rinsing lather.

Other than that, I recommend this method..it's cheap and easy. I heard it was good for skin too?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2010 9:42:00 PM More reviews by ComplexBeauty09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

I should just get over the smell and use this weekly! It makes my hair so shinny, and it seems to lighten my blonde hair, my hair feels super healthy and soft! The only thing is the smell that lingers. I am afraid that others may detect the scent of the vinegar. But apple cider vinegar has a lot of scalp benefits that I just canít help to pass up. Helping with things like hair lose and dandruff- which I need for my flaky scalp! I use 50/50 water and vinegar in a plastic bottle I found in the hair styling section for root touchup. This kind of bottle is great at getting to my scalp and distributing the rinse throughout my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 8:30:00 PM More reviews by GingerLemon

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I use this about once or twice a week after a shampoo. I dilute two tablespoons to one cup of H2O as a final rinse to remove and product build up.
Leaves my hair glossy and very managable.
This is my go to rinse.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2009 4:14:00 PM More reviews by perfectflower

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I put this in a spray bottle I got from Sallys. I like spraying it in before shampooing it leaves my hair very shiny and smooth.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2009 2:11:00 AM More reviews by streetsofyourtown

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have used this several times. It has a really good effect on my hair, leaving it very shiny, clarified and detangled. After shampooing, I rubbed it into my hair and rinsed, using no other conditioner- this has the added benefit of allowing me to wash my hair less frequently, as it in no way coats the hair or causes it to become "greasy". It certainly has the potential to dry out hair, so be sure to adequately dilute with water (I did not dilute it the first time I used it, and the damaged ends of my hair felt pretty straw-like for a while). Overall, this product is super-cheap and effective, I plan to use it regularly and have been recommending it to friends!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2009 6:24:00 PM More reviews by JessicaJames

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am amazed I have not reviewed apple cider vinegar. I have been battling with natural products for 4 years or so. I love the idea but I mostly love it when they work! Because ultimately I am only gonna use something it can really perform. Ahhh. Wow I am totally in love with makeupalley:) I can find amazing products that fit my tight college budget and learn soooo much! An organic apple cider vinegar rinse makes my hair sooooooo soft and shinny:) Oh I love it! Yes it does smell, but it goes away when it dries. The smell of vinegar for some people may be a deal breaker. But keep in mind I am the type of person that will go through pain to get results in any aspect of life. For my hair the results far surpass the momentary smell. (Which with my pretty fragrant shampoo I can't actually smell when I am out of the shower).

-I have used this for skin...not for me...

-I have also ingested it with water for months at various times mainly for acne and the cleansing aspect....I don't know if I noticed any results that way....I keep my testing minimal to see what is giving me results. But will update.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2009 11:01:00 PM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

When I was a child with green-blonde hair from chlorine in swimming pools, I'd get my hair rinsed with apple cider vinegar. I hated it but it was the only way to get the green out of my blonde hair and to get my mop of hair combed out. I still use it about once a month to do what shampoos and conditioners cannot -- soften, clarify, and naturally reduce brassiness.

I use a plastic measuring cup, pour in 3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar (Heinz but any brand will do), and then pour the vinegar over my soaking wet hair in the shower (it'lll wake you up). Then I allow about 10 minutes while I attend to other matters, and rinse it out. I shampoo, condition, and my hair shines.

I have heard that for brunette hair white vinegar works better. I probably use more than most people because I have a lot of hair to penetrate with the vinegar.

It is dirt cheap, and I gave it a 4 for packaging because of the setup in the shower. Save your money and use this method instead of much more expensive products with "apple cider" in them. Nothing beats the original: apple cider vinegar.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2009 8:06:00 PM More reviews by miranets

i have been using ACV as a hair rinse for almost a year, i never condition because all products leave my hair heavy, so use this as an alternative plus it helps to tone and balance the scalp. initially i brought a good quality brand (about $10NZD for a 500ml bottle), it was very potent so was diluted down about 1/3. however, now i use 'home brand' types, which are definitely not as strong (not as pungent nr as dark coloured) and use it neat. less wasteful more economical.

i use h&s shampoo it is one of the few products that don't leave my scalp dry (even natural non SLS ones cause flaking..), after cleansing i apply over the entire scalp and leave on for the duration of the shower and rinse off with either lukewarm or cold water, if i can withstand it..

i notice a considerable difference when i skip ACV rinsing.. my hair is not as smooth and scalp gets greasier faster, itches slightly etc..

sometimes i add peppermint, rosemary and teatree essential oils (very small quantities) to help enhance the conditioning effects. the only downside is to avoid getting the runoff in your face and eyes while showering.. it can cause some irritation.

highly recommend using ACV rinsing as part of a healthy haircare routine :) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2009 11:14:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ladies!! Hair looking brassy? Dull and lifeless? While there are many uses, one I absolutely love is using it to remove build-up of hair products ect that end up dulling my hair. I take about a liter of water and add 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar. I keep this mixture around for weekly use. That is usually enough for all hair types. I use it after my shampoo routine and work it in for several minutes at least. Then rinse with warm water. Don't worry if you don't get all of it out, it does not damage your hair and the smell dissipates by the time your hair is dry. Say goodbye to lifeless dull hair! I am amazed every time!! My hair is instantly, and dramatically brightened back to my near platinum blond shade!! Not to mention light, bouncy and obedient ;O)~ So inexpensive. Can't go wrong with this one!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No