Grapeseed Oil

4.3

grapeseed oil!

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

Here's a fantastic, but not inexpensive option for USDA certified organic , cold-pressed unrefined grapeseed oil. The product is sold by Nature Certified and comes in a convenient, easy-to-use, 4 oz pump-dispenser package. It has a strong "wine" essence which quickly dissipates. I've been searching/researching over the last 3 years for skin care solutions and using mainly natural products to manage my changing skin - which is now affected by allergic/contact/atopic dermatitis- therefore my desire to find an oil that will improve my skin barrier (reduce the penetration of allergens) thru using oils that have a high linoleic content and antioxidants (polyphenols). I always ended up seeing MUA as one of the links during my research. I finally broke down and joined the best resource! And now, I have access to notepads. :-) When I first purchased it from Amazon it was sold for $9.99, but now it's up to $12.95 USD. The seller has been great in providing technical information to my questions such as about the cold-press technique - temperature maintained below 39 degree (Centigrade, I assume). But in my search for other brands of organic grapeseed oil this price is comparable or less expensive, especially since there's no S&H fee. I've had the opportunity to try a variety of oils on their own or in combinations - jojoba oil-wax, almond, sunflower, and coconut, etc. and also shea butter and receive recommendations from other MUAers. Additional features in comparison to NOW grapeseed oil, (yes, it's more expensive,) it absorbs fasts, has a thicker consistency (possibly more emollient), and leaves a smooth, almost satiny feel to my body skin. It didn't work out well for me as the sole oil for modified OCM with or without polysorbate 80 or as part of an aloe vera cleansing gel that I created for facial cleansing. ( I'm suprisingly having great results using Burt's Bee's Orange Essence Facial Cleanser, but that's stuff for another review.) I have now used this product for 1 month to moisturize my body skin after showering. I lightly towel dry, since I read that the proanthocyanidins in grapeseed oil will be inactivated when they come in contact with water, after showering and then I apply the product and also consume 1 teaspoon daily. This oil is edible. One bottle is lasting approximately 3 weeks.The end result is that my skin is soft (even da' feet), my peeling-prone shins are not peeling, and I only have to apply Burt's Bees Fragrance Free Body Lotion once per day if at all to "reactivate" it. The product is thoroughly labeled with directions, batch code, etc. The ingredients: Organic Grapeseed oil, Vitamin E (natural non-GMO). And for those concerned, it's packaged in BPA-free plastic that is recyclable. I do believe that the daily topical usage and oral consumption has helped to significantly reduce my allergic dermatitis flareups. Of course, I also have to try to reduce my exposure to my confirmed allergens, but some of them(pets) are permanent fixtures in my household. :-)

Update: December 2, 2012. Must let you know that since May I started combining this GSO with squalane from GOW ($29.80 USD/8 oz) and then finally discovered that the squalane alone was giving me the desired topical results and absorbed even faster. I still think this GSO is a great product, but squalane is an integral component of the epidermal skin barrier - makes sense. I wrote a review on it under unlisted brands.

on 12/5/2011 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

i will buy this stuff over and over!. i never ever thought that using this oil will solve my skin issues. NATURALLY i have very dry skin that has turned into a mess of oil and flakiness due to years of acne/oil combating products.. it has also become quite sensitive and the acne hasnt really got better over the years. on top of all that i have turned into a compulsive picker so my face is scarred all over with tiny marks. i have recently realized that i have to quit with oil controlling products because really my skin is not that. i definitely now know just how harmful it is to use the wrong products for a specific skin types such as mine. with that being said i had finally got the courage to use an OIL on my skin thanks to all the MUA reviews. i use the now brand of grapeseed oil. i use it to massage all over my skin at night to loosen my makeup (including the eye area) and after a minute or so add some water and gentle cleanser to get the oil/makeup off. this method seems to leave my skin clean and supple. i try to apply avocado oil on my damp skin but sometimes i skip that step and just add a drop of the grapeseed oil again. if i feel the need to exfoliate i also start off with just this product and then use a gentle scub and water, but i try not to exfoliate more than two times a week. ALSO, this is huge for me, somehow this new regiment has diminished my need to pick at my poor face. all of this has made my abused skin almost normal, something i never thought was possible for me. its not breaking out and is more even and moisturized. it does somewhat make me flaky (but definitely not more dry) and that would be because it is also an antiseptic. im assuming that is why my clogged pores have cleared for good. for those with super dry skin i would recommended an additional moisturizer. the only thing i wish is that i discovered this fabulous oil sooner. at least my skin is really healing now.. slowly but surely.

on 11/25/2011 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

First of all, I'd like to say that the reason I rated it 3 for price is because I bought organic cold pressed from Amazon, I read that it is more effective in helping to produce collagen. I bought this for my under eye area, and so far I have noticed subtle difference, but I have only been using it for over 2 weeks. I have never had issues with acne, but its normal for me to get a zit here or there or break out on my period. I have not had one zit since I have started using this, my skin has been completely clear. My skin also gets a little dry and flaky during the winter time, this is really moisturizing without being oily at all. You only need a couple drops for your face and it absorbs into your skin within minutes. I'm really happy I bought it.

on 10/26/2011 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

'Now' brand: Great eye makeup remover and I use this alone for the oil cleansing method. I also use it after shower as a body moisturizer--it's light and easy to spread.

on 10/10/2011 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Bought a 20oz bottle @ Big Lots for $3.50 and I love this stuff. I use it after the shower & it absorbs quickly. Put it on my face before bed, leave it on for a while, then wet a washcloth with hot water & place on my face. My skin looks so healthy has even helped with acne/acne scars. Went back and bought more bottles since it was so cheap. Great product! It's cheaper if you buy it in the cooking oil section than the beauty section & it's the same thing. A pure all natural product without chemicals & other harmful things in it. Will continue to buy grapeseed oil!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Grapeseed oil in a nutshell is a wonder oil! :)
I use it in my own serum (1 tbsp grapeseed/ 2 tbsp jojoba oil/ 4-5 drops of lavender and tea tree). I have found that this combination for my skin has worked wonders! I have oily but fairly sensitive skin and it has cleared up some unwanted spots and redness, plus I haven't had any reactions which is something I always worry about when I put products on my skin :) (p.s. did I mention that in a couple of days people had complimented me on how fresh my skin looked.. even my boyfriend!)
I purchased grapeseed oil from a shop where I work - Holland and Barrett. It cost me a few 's so very cheap and you do not need to use a lot. (I also got the rest of my serum ingredients from here too!) It comes in a brown 100ml plastic bottle with a screw cap lid. NOW... when it comes to oils you do not want to be messing around with bottles like this. So I purchased a glass dropper/ tincture bottle online (only a few 's) so I could make my serum and use a few drops and prevent wasting any precious oil :)
I also use grapeseed for an eye serum too. I used a couple of tbsp of grapeseed and aloe vera. Mix it and it forms into a white paste. Put this on every night and the skin around the eyes is moistorised. Plus the aloe is really refreshing and soothing.
All in all, grapeseed is great if you have oily/ acne skin. From my expereince with it, alongside other oils, it has helped to clear up redness from spots and made my skin smoother. I would definately recommend this cheap and cheerful oil :) Hope this helps!!!!

on 9/8/2011 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

My face is acne-prone and also does not lack sebum at all, so I do not use this as a moisturizer. I do, however, use this every night to remove my eye makeup. Bi-phase silicone removers annoy me, so I prefer just to use straight oil (now if the silicone removers didn't require shaking I would probably use them, they are less messy than oils). I massage lightly onto my lids every night and follow with cleanser.
If, however, I used a hard-to-remove sunscreen or foundation, I prefer to use a cleansing oil all over, including eyes. Grapeseed oil straight works fine too, but as a matter of personal preference I prefer how cleansing oil rinses off. (I follow with regular cleanser) But when I travel and need to pack light, I will bring a travel sized cleanser and then a little bottle of grapeseed oil

on 8/30/2011 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

I rarely use foundation because I have struggled so much with my acne prone skin. No matter the brand, it always leaves me with breakouts, probably acne and some allergies, anyway...

I use 3/4 grape seed oil with 1/4 tea tree oil mixed to remove makeup on my face and pure grape seed to remove eye makeup (the tea tree BURNS like fire if too close to the eye area!)

It does not clog my pores, and leaves not a trace of that pore clogging, skin irritating makeup. I massage it in thoroughly, then let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it away with a cotton pad. Then I reapply just to make sure that I have gotten all the traces away from my hairline, near my ears and along the jaw line/neck area. Honestly if I have done a good job the first time there is not a trace left. My pores purged a good deal of sebum over the first few days of using this, especially over my nose and around my mouth. It was like tiny white worms pushing through as I massaged. I was freaked out because I thought I had messed up all the hard work I had put in with my Obagi and VI peels (see my other reviews). But...no pimple showed up thank goodness. I follow this by using my cleanser with the Clarisonic Mia and I can tell you I have never had my skin so smooth and soft. It really bumped up my skin care regimen to a great level, and it is so much cheaper and better for me than chemical filled makeup removers for the eyes and face. It is full of antioxidants and is very soothing. I do the same thing in the morning, even using the pure grapes seed oil around the eye, because it is so nourishing.

It feels very tingly and if you have sensitive skin, the tea tree probably should be greatly reduced or even eliminated from the mix, but I have been getting peels and facials for so long that my skin is accustomed to it. I have noticed that my skin's excessive oiliness has decreased greatly, and I read somewhere that many acne prone people had worse breakouts because so many acne products are so drying the skin goes crazy trying to produce sebum to protect itself. This makes sense, because I have noticed since starting this my face is barely oily in the middle of the day. I am now one of those women who can actually use those little rice paper blotters on the nose and only use ONE and the package actually lasts more than a couple of weeks. I love this stuff!

on 8/29/2011 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Grapeseed oil is the best! I use it as a makeup remover, a leave in hair conditioner, an overall body moisturizer - it's the most amazing stuff. It's incredibly light, nothing like olive oil - and very little goes a looong way - so only a drop or two at a time will do - remember it's oil after all!

on 8/17/2011 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I bought the Merlot brand at Walgreens on sale. Wasn't sure what to expect since I have oily/combo skin. I have resently started using a Clarisonic (life-changing, but another topic) so I wanted to include a weekly oil to put back into the skin some of the natural oils that were stripped from the exfoliation. Well, I use this in my at-home facial routine after steaming and extracting. I use it as a facial massage oil once a week. Love it. No frangrance. Lightweight. Let it soak in and cotton pad the extra off if its there after about 10 min. Does not cause breakouts on my breakout-proned skin.

Popular Face Skincare Products