November 23, 2014 | 940 users online

Skincare - Face - Grapeseed Oil

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2011 2:17:00 AM More reviews by jqcafe

I got a large container of la Tourangelle expeller-pressed grapeseed oil in the cooking aisle at Safeway for $10. (The ideal product to use would likely be organic, expeller or cold-pressed to avoid any harmful chemicals acquired between pesticide use and processing.) I used this as an all-over moisturizer. For my face, I rubbed a little onto my hands and patted a thin layer onto my face after washing. I agree with many people in that it gives your skin a healthy glow that you can rave about. I didn't look oily, and the fine lines at the inner corner of my eyes did slightly fade. At first, I loved it and used it as often as I could as a moisturizer.
Unfortunately, oil has a couple of drawbacks. I wear glasses and ended up with greasy lenses and glasses sliding down my nose all the time. Also, I often had at least a light trace of thin oil still on my face hours later, even with only a few drops. I like it better when I apply it to wet skin and rinse it off a bit. But my glasses still got oily. And when I started to break out with painful acne where I usually donít get acne at all, I stopped using it. I used it for about a month. I didn't like the feeling the oil gave my skin, like it couldn't breathe. I'm not sure if it wasn't the oil that made me break out. I should mention that I don't have particularly sensitive skin when it comes to products though I do get occasional acne.
Eventually, this just became too messy for me to deal with daily. I felt as though it got onto everything (clothes, glasses, sheets) because my skin didn't absorb it much.
I do think itís great as an eye makeup remover. But I prefer Pondís cold cream because the cream lets me get in between my lashes with a tissue better than the oil without getting remover in my eye.
And I definitely like this as a shaving oil. It beats shaving cream, without a doubt. Gives your legs soft, supple skin. The only bad thing about it is it makes your tub greasy. But it goes away with a couple hot showers.
I donít know about grapeseed oilís proposed benefits for the skin, like its anti-aging properties with antioxidants polyphenol and pycnogenol and astringent properties that nourish skin, lightens age spots, clears up acne, and so on. Many sites said many things, and they only mention studies rather than reference them. Iím not saying it doesnít work at all, just that we donít know how or how well it does. I get the impression eating it may be even more beneficial than putting it on your skin. It does a great job as a direct skin-moisture protectant though. :D
I give it a 3.5!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2011 10:12:00 AM More reviews by BrittaBot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought an enormous bottle of grapeseed oil at Whole Foods and have been using it on my face and body since then. I use it to moisturize my skin, remove makeup, and cleanse my face. I haven't tried it on my hair because my hair is fine and long, so I think the oil may weigh it down.

To clean my face, I dampen a cotton round, then apply the oil and exfoliate my face with it. This works well for me because If I wash my skin too often, even though it's oily, the surface becomes dry, so this oil is great for keeping my skin balanced if I need to wash my skin more than once or twice a day.

And I night, I pat this oil on my skin and around my eyes, and it doesn't burn or cause blemishes, no matter the condition of my skin. Very versatile product.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

This works wonderfully for me as a body oil: It's light, absorbs quickly on its own, and mixed with some body moisturizer, boosts the hydration factor nicely when I need it. It is a completely different story when it comes to my face however. It seems like I have applied nothing at all, yet feels waxier on my face than even some of the heavier oils (coconut and olive) have ever done. Extremely strange. Merely ok, but I like other oils much more.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2011 2:49:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love grape seed oil! Lighter than EVOO but nothing will ever replace EVOO in my books! Haha. Seriously though, I love using grape seed oil for shaving, and all the other uses that EVOO does (removing eye makeup, etc) See my review for more! If you find EVOO too heavy I highly reccommend giving Grapeseed oil a try!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/29/2011 11:46:00 AM More reviews by Juno77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My skin doesn't get along with grapeseed oil. When I use it I feel like I've put saran wrap all over my face, and I ALWAYS break out after using it. I have the same problem with other skin care that lists it as an ingredient.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2011 11:29:00 AM More reviews by Jmberry

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Grapeseed was my first foray into using oils as skincare. I bought a small bottle of Merlot brand (which is 100% oil with no additives) from Ulta. This was before I realized that you could purchase the same stuff from the grocery store cooking aisle, so if I were to repurchase I would go that route, as you get more product for less money. I chose Grapeseed because I read that it was a good choice for oily skin. It's mildly astringent and full of antioxidants. It's very lightweight and has almost no scent. I used it as a precleanse/makeup remover and for that it was wonderful. Melted everything off and left my skin smooth and soft. I always followed up with a foaming cleanser. However, it did clog me a bit when I tried using it as a light PM moisturizer, which leads me to believe it may have clogged me further if I didn't use a foaming cleanser after makeup removal. I finished the bottle but am currently testing mineral oil which is even more lightweight, cheaper, and easier (for me) to acquire. But I still think I would repurchase grapeseed and recommend it to those with oily skin.
Edit: The fragrance in baby oil began to irritate me and i didnt feel like paying more to order unscented online so I switched back to grapeseed. I found a huge bottle of Grapeola brand at Wal-Mart in the cooking oil section and it's wonderful. I use it as a makeup remover followed by a foaming cleanser. I discovered that I can use it as a night moisturizer without clogs or breakouts but applying sparingly is key. Just a few drops and my skin is happy and glowing. I have added another lippie bringing this up to five.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2011 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Donnz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Out of all the oils I've tried (incl jojoba, evoo, sesame etc) this has been the best multi taking find for my dry, sensitive skin. When using it as a make up remover I add some water to a dollop of grapeseed oil and rub onto dry skin for a minimum of 30 seconds then clean off with a flannel followed by two drops of tea tree oil on a damp cotton pad. Then I can use it as a night time moisturizer for my entire body head to toe. It absorbs really well and every inch of my skin has never felt this smooth. It doesn't bleed into your eyes like evoo does and is far cheaper than jojoba. You can purchase this in bulk at your local supermarket and decant some into a smaller bottle for bathroom use and have the rest in the pantry for cooking. I have a very sensitive nose as well as skin and this oil is completely without smell, couldn't handle coconut oil for that reason. It goes great under makeup and makes for a great stir fry, what more could. I do find however that it isn't quite moisturizing enough in the winter.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2011 3:46:00 PM More reviews by solai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Unfortunately, this broke me out. My skin is acne prone but I haven't gotten any breakouts from olive oil or argan oil. If you're prone to breakouts, use with care!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2011 10:47:00 PM More reviews by paig392

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

OMG OMG im in loooove I'm 18 and have acne prone oily skin and looking to improve tone and hopefully lighten scarring I bought this. After experimenting with a few uses I really like to use it as an over night moisturizer. in the AM if I dont shower I tone, skip moisturizer, and apply my make up. my skin is GLOWY and doesnt get oily which happens regardless ofwhether or not I use a traditional moisturizer. If I do shower, i cleanse with EVOO and tone.
Oils are MAGIC <3

also....grapeseed is great for removing make up w/o making a mess...if I botch an eye look i can remove it without redoing all my makeup

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 1:31:00 AM More reviews by nyomya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I won't repeat what many previous reviewers already mentioned. I just wanted to share something extra...

I've used grapeseed oil when I had insect bites (mostly ticks) when I was hiking. I tried many methods to relief itchiness including prescription lotion. Nothing really worked like grapeseed oil. Of course, I had to reapply as soon as I got out of shower.

Since then, I had 2 8oz bottles and I used only one in mixing with lotion. I forgot one new bottle and I recently started using for my winter skin. My hands were so dried... I tried many lotion including Vaseline at nigh with gloves but I got only temporary relief. I was wondering why not using leftover grapeseed oil on my fingers. Actually, it worked. It took about 3 min to sink into skin but after that, no greasy at all and long lasting.

I also use grapeseed oil instead of baby oil to remove MU. Price is about the same so why not choose natural oil with antioxidants :)