November 27, 2014 | 1593 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Matte About You

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2009 10:34:00 PM More reviews by DiyaSpade

Wow, Im MAD about Matte about You! This makes everything super matte and not just "sort of matte", if that makes sense. With this matte topcoat, I could make everything matte, which saved me money (forget buying those OPI mattes now!). It lasts long too, and dries quickly. I cannot rave enough about this!

The Sephora OPI matte colors looked kinda shiny-ish on me and chipped/dried rather quickly (I bought the black one and Metro Chic matte). Not matte at all, but with Essie MAY top coat in regular Metro Chic, it looked way better than Sephora's matte version and lasted longer on my nails too! Great product! I hope its not LE!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2009 2:42:00 PM More reviews by tammallama

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

LOVE this topcoat!! It dries really fast and is completely even... when I miss a spot I can put a dab on the spot and it's seamless. It wears great without chipping too, I change my polish about every week or so and it didn't budge whatsoever! Great stuff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2009 1:58:00 PM More reviews by xAysha

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this, its so different! noone i know has even heard of the matte finish or that its on trend right now, i bought this on ebay for about £5, my mum doesnt like it atall lol. but i love it an so does my aunty! it gives a totally unique look to all your polishes, changes the tone and texture and its just really nice!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2009 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Jadedkrystal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This works really well as a matte top coat. I've tried it with a dark red, and at first, I thought it was too intense, but by the next day, it totally works right. Doesn't look so great with a light-coloured nail polish, but with darks and brights, it's been pretty good.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2009 1:32:00 AM More reviews by Faffinette89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this because I thought it would make more sense than buying a lot of matte nail polishes. This really does make any nail polish matte in seconds like it claims and dries fast. Would no reccommend on glittery chunk nail polish because it looks gross.This stays pretty matte but a day or two latter it won't look at matte as when you just did it. So for that I give it a 4/5 but your nail polish won't turn shiny or anything

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2009 11:47:00 PM More reviews by VVV

I literally feel as if I have doubled my nail polish collection since purchasing Matte About You because using it creates an entirely new look for every shade that I have. I have tried Matte About You with cream, satin, frost, and glitter finish polishes and gotten amazing and unique effects. So, here's my breakdown:

FINISH: The finish is definitely matte, however, Matte About You does not look flat at all. There is depth to the color and finish it creates.

COLOR: Matte About You does not dull the color of the polish. It maintains the integrity of the shade and I would go so far as to say it made several of my polishes look more vibrant. The only colors I had issue with were very dark shades that are close to black, like OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark and OPI's Here Today… Aragon Tomorrow. The colors lost their subtle shades that differentiate them from black. Lincoln Park After Dark lost it's violet tone and looked almost black and Here Today… Aragon Tomorrow lost it's green tone and also looked almost black. IMO if you are going to use a dark shade with Matte About You, make sure it is a shade that is not one of the almost black type of dark shades. So if you wanted to use a dark green go for a shade like Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetic's Blackboard instead of OPI's Here Today… Aragon Tomorrow.

DRY TIME: Dry time actually becomes fun with this product! :) It applies looking like a regular, shiny, clear top coat but quickly begins to transform to a matte finish within 15 to 20 seconds. It's fun to watch the transformation! Matte About You dries very quickly - I discovered that my nails were dry to the touch within 5 minutes after accidentally touching one of them. I still allowed for more drying time just to be sure though.

DURABILITY: I change my polish once a week and this top coat lasted all 7 days without chipping.

LOOKS FOR DIFFERENT POLISH FINISHES:

CREAMS: Cream finish polishes work beautifully with Matte About You. Creams create the most matte looks with Matte About You.

SATINS: Satin finish polishes look so pretty with Matte About You. The shimmer transforms into color dimension beneath the Matte About You.

FROSTS: I actually tried a frosty polish as part of my experimenting with Matte About You prior to writing my review. I didn't expect the results to look very good - wow, I was wrong! The results were amazing! I don't really like frosty polishes but I have a few that I bought because I loved the color of the polish. I always used to look at my frosty polishes and wish I could magically change their finish - wish granted by Matte About You! Frosty polishes turn into a gorgeous and unique pearl finish with Matte About You. The colors look vibrant and dimensional. The finish is very different from anything I've ever seen. My nails look like colorful pearls!

GLITTERS: Matte About You creates another unique finish with glitter polishes. The polish takes on the matte finish and the glitter takes on a subtle sparkle like stars in the night sky. The look is textural and very unique! This isn't a look for everyone but check out Scrangie's blog post where she shows Essie's Starry Starry Night using Matte About You as a topcoat - her photographs really opened me up to the possibilities of using Matte About You with glitters.

BOTTOM LINE: I am going to stock up on this product! Fingers crossed that Essie makes Matte About You a part of their permanent line. I adore it!

♥ Hope this review was helpful! ♥

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2009 1:03:00 PM More reviews by hippiepippie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love, love, love, love, love (yes, I LOVE!) this product!!! It dries in minute(s), leaving a completely and beautifully matte surface. Thank you, Essie, for this wonderful product! Will repurchase again, and again, and again!
EDIT: I am taking two lippies off, 'cause I have to wait before applying this over my nail polish (and I really don't like to wait!). Not only does the undried color of the polish "go back" with the brush into the bottle, it also - if one doesn't apply it fast enough - dissolves the polish on the nail, making the contour blurry and the polish messy.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2009 11:37:00 AM More reviews by ozlema

What a great idea! I have a thing against shimmery, frosty nail polish. I was also curious about the matte trend but was hesitant because of the short life of the matte polishes plus the house paint look they might give. So I got this to try with the polishes I have. I can't say how good it makes the glittery, shimmery polishes -such as OPI Brand New Skates- look. It brings the sophistication I always wanted without being dull. Dries in an instant and wears much better than my expectations. Haven't tried it on my creme colordon't think would look as good- but I feel as if I have doubled my polish collection.

UPDATE: I thought matte polishes had problems in staying power. Opposite with Matte About You. The matte finish resembles my own nail texture and stays on forever. Using this on top of all my nail polishes and enjoying the new look.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2009 1:59:00 PM More reviews by ayaspiralout

Just put this on a little while ago and it has absolutely met my expectations. I have some matte Zoya polish that I LOVE but it is a little thick to apply, so now that I can make any of my other polishes matte, I don't have to worry about it. It turned matte within seconds and was totally dry in like a minute. Amazing! I'd pay $10 for a bottle but found some on ebay for about $8.50 shipped. Fantastic stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2009 8:36:00 PM More reviews by Dori319

I LOVE this stuff!!! Matte nails seem to be the new trend this fall (09) for all the nail polish brands. Although matte nails intrigue me, I find it waaay too costly to buy all the matte nail polishes, and for this reason I decided it was much more costly to buy a single topcoat so I can make ANY nail polish matte. I just got it in the mail today and I thought I'd be a matte fan but I am soooo much more of a fan now that I've seen it in person. I can't comment on the wear since I've only been wearing it 30 minutes or so but the drying time seemed to be almost instant. I'm deff glad I bought 2 bottles. It's supposed to retail for $10 USD but if you look around online you can find it for a bit cheaper. I will most definitely repurchase!!