Essie Matte About You

4.4

Ehtyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Trimethyl Pentanyl Dissobutyrate, Silica, Adipic Acid/neopnetyl Glycol/trimllitic Anhydride Copolymer, Isopropyl Alcohol, Stearalkonum Hectorite, Citric Acid.

on 10/13/2009 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I LOVE this topcoat. I've been trying some of the matte nail polishes from OPI and sephora by OPI and i've been really disappointed with their chunky, uneven application. I was about to give up on the matte nailpolish trend when i found this topcoat. The application is wonderful (i haven't had any of the problems that other reviewers have commented on). On top of that I can use this to turn ANY polish matte. I'm so happy i don't have to repurchase all of my favorite colors in matte form. sooo happy with this purchase.

on 10/11/2009 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I love love love this top coat! The box reads "turns matte instantly" but I thought it was just a way to get people to buy it more, but wow in seconds it turns into a matte finish, it was so neat. It kind of reminds me of frosted glass effect or something, I think the matte finish is really classy. It dried really fast too (your polish needs to be completely dried too, of course) I'd say abut 60 seconds for me. I didn't have any trouble getting an even coat, maybe because I paint my nails all the time. If you did miss a spot, all you have to do is dab a little bit of it on the spot and it's gone. I was hesitant to buy this since it was 10 dollars for a top coat but I would repurchase! You you like to try new things, like to play with polishes, or just love the all over matte finsih, you must get it!

on 10/10/2009 7:15:00 PM

I agree with the other reviews, but keep in mind that it IS a ten dollar topcoat...for the price, I was expecting no application issues at all. It's possible to get an even result, but it's also totally likely that the finish will be uneven if you aren't careful.

Using the topcoat also seems to make my polish more likely to chip faster.

With all that in mind, I would still buy this topcoat. It's fun to experiment on all sorts of shades! But I am interested in trying a matte nailpolish to see if I could avoid the headachey application on this one.

on 10/8/2009 10:34:00 PM

Wow, Im MAD about Matte about You! This makes everything super matte and not just "sort of matte", if that makes sense. With this matte topcoat, I could make everything matte, which saved me money (forget buying those OPI mattes now!). It lasts long too, and dries quickly. I cannot rave enough about this!

The Sephora OPI matte colors looked kinda shiny-ish on me and chipped/dried rather quickly (I bought the black one and Metro Chic matte). Not matte at all, but with Essie MAY top coat in regular Metro Chic, it looked way better than Sephora's matte version and lasted longer on my nails too! Great product! I hope its not LE!

on 9/25/2009 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

LOVE this topcoat!! It dries really fast and is completely even... when I miss a spot I can put a dab on the spot and it's seamless. It wears great without chipping too, I change my polish about every week or so and it didn't budge whatsoever! Great stuff.

on 9/25/2009 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this, its so different! noone i know has even heard of the matte finish or that its on trend right now, i bought this on ebay for about £5, my mum doesnt like it atall lol. but i love it an so does my aunty! it gives a totally unique look to all your polishes, changes the tone and texture and its just really nice!

on 9/20/2009 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This works really well as a matte top coat. I've tried it with a dark red, and at first, I thought it was too intense, but by the next day, it totally works right. Doesn't look so great with a light-coloured nail polish, but with darks and brights, it's been pretty good.

on 9/19/2009 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Cool

I got this because I thought it would make more sense than buying a lot of matte nail polishes. This really does make any nail polish matte in seconds like it claims and dries fast. Would no reccommend on glittery chunk nail polish because it looks gross.This stays pretty matte but a day or two latter it won't look at matte as when you just did it. So for that I give it a 4/5 but your nail polish won't turn shiny or anything

on 9/18/2009 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I literally feel as if I have doubled my nail polish collection since purchasing Matte About You because using it creates an entirely new look for every shade that I have. I have tried Matte About You with cream, satin, frost, and glitter finish polishes and gotten amazing and unique effects. So, here's my breakdown:

FINISH: The finish is definitely matte, however, Matte About You does not look flat at all. There is depth to the color and finish it creates.

COLOR: Matte About You does not dull the color of the polish. It maintains the integrity of the shade and I would go so far as to say it made several of my polishes look more vibrant. The only colors I had issue with were very dark shades that are close to black, like OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark and OPI's Here Today… Aragon Tomorrow. The colors lost their subtle shades that differentiate them from black. Lincoln Park After Dark lost it's violet tone and looked almost black and Here Today… Aragon Tomorrow lost it's green tone and also looked almost black. IMO if you are going to use a dark shade with Matte About You, make sure it is a shade that is not one of the almost black type of dark shades. So if you wanted to use a dark green go for a shade like Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetic's Blackboard instead of OPI's Here Today… Aragon Tomorrow.

DRY TIME: Dry time actually becomes fun with this product! :) It applies looking like a regular, shiny, clear top coat but quickly begins to transform to a matte finish within 15 to 20 seconds. It's fun to watch the transformation! Matte About You dries very quickly - I discovered that my nails were dry to the touch within 5 minutes after accidentally touching one of them. I still allowed for more drying time just to be sure though.

DURABILITY: I change my polish once a week and this top coat lasted all 7 days without chipping.

LOOKS FOR DIFFERENT POLISH FINISHES:

CREAMS: Cream finish polishes work beautifully with Matte About You. Creams create the most matte looks with Matte About You.

SATINS: Satin finish polishes look so pretty with Matte About You. The shimmer transforms into color dimension beneath the Matte About You.

FROSTS: I actually tried a frosty polish as part of my experimenting with Matte About You prior to writing my review. I didn't expect the results to look very good - wow, I was wrong! The results were amazing! I don't really like frosty polishes but I have a few that I bought because I loved the color of the polish. I always used to look at my frosty polishes and wish I could magically change their finish - wish granted by Matte About You! Frosty polishes turn into a gorgeous and unique pearl finish with Matte About You. The colors look vibrant and dimensional. The finish is very different from anything I've ever seen. My nails look like colorful pearls!

GLITTERS: Matte About You creates another unique finish with glitter polishes. The polish takes on the matte finish and the glitter takes on a subtle sparkle like stars in the night sky. The look is textural and very unique! This isn't a look for everyone but check out Scrangie's blog post where she shows Essie's Starry Starry Night using Matte About You as a topcoat - her photographs really opened me up to the possibilities of using Matte About You with glitters.

BOTTOM LINE: I am going to stock up on this product! Fingers crossed that Essie makes Matte About You a part of their permanent line. I adore it!

♥ Hope this review was helpful! ♥

on 9/18/2009 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love, love, love, love, love (yes, I LOVE!) this product!!! It dries in minute(s), leaving a completely and beautifully matte surface. Thank you, Essie, for this wonderful product! Will repurchase again, and again, and again!
EDIT: I am taking two lippies off, 'cause I have to wait before applying this over my nail polish (and I really don't like to wait!). Not only does the undried color of the polish "go back" with the brush into the bottle, it also - if one doesn't apply it fast enough - dissolves the polish on the nail, making the contour blurry and the polish messy.

Top Rated Essie Products