MAC Lustre in Syrup

4.4

on 12/31/2010 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This is my favourite MAC lipstick so far, and the one to reignite my interest in the brand’s lip products. Usually I find MAC bullets ridiculously drying, zapping all my pleasure in the wonderful colours of them. Syrup is ‘your lips but better’ on me, being just the tiniest bit darker than is natural. Almost imperceptible. My boyfriend has cocked his head at me inquisitively when I wear this, unsure whether he can see lipstick or not. He doesn’t like the tacky feel of gloss, so this is a good compromise for me, if I want to be kissed. The colour itself lifts my face, which is warm but very fair, with blond hair framing dark blue eyes. I’m listing that in case it helps someone. I was surprised this one suited me so well, as there is a tinge of mauve to it. Both I and the MAC sales assistant exclaimed when I applied it at the MAC counter, so surprised were we how well this seemingly unexciting colour worked. The lustre formulation is fairly moisturising, but I still wear it over balm.

on 12/26/2010 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I must join the ranks of the true believers and post my positive review of Syrup. A lovely cool medium pink color with a creamy texture, Syrup is an every day natural lip color for me. Great as a counterbalance for dramatic eyes and works equally well for light makeup days. So glad I found this gem! Will definitely buy this one again.

on 12/21/2010 9:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I decided to try this lippie after a lot of recs from fellow Mua'ers, so i B2M for it. I have very pigmented lips so this lipstick is my, lips but better lippie. Its a lovely everyday lipstick for me , smells lovely and gives a glossy finish. love it .

on 12/17/2010 4:59:00 PM

If you've never tried "mauve" or purple-y lipsticks (because you thought they would be unflattering), you shouldn't be afraid of this shade.

I would call Syrup a really sheer pink with slight mauve. It's very inoffensive, so I think this would look good on anyone.

I personally love sheerer colors; I wouldn't go for this lipstick if you like really pigmented lipsticks, or long-lasting lipsticks. The only downside to Syrup is that it doesn't last very long, maybe two hours at the most.

The price is pretty ridiculous to me, though. I wouldn't buy this again because I could probably get a similar-colored lipgloss for much cheaper and of the same quality and lasting power as MAC's syrup.

on 11/27/2010 2:30:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I'm in love with this color!! It's gorgeous and natural...it's a pink/purplish color. I wear it almost everyday and it's exactly like the color of my lips...only adds extra sheen to my lips which i love :) I was looking for a nude lipstick for a very long time and finally my search ends :) You don't necessarily need a lip-liner unless you're blending syrup with some other shade! It's more like a lip gloss...although I would still pick this over a gloss. If you want a everyday lip color...I'd strongly recommend this one!

on 11/24/2010 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Maybe my favorite color of all time. It's just enough of a pop of color without being over the top. I can wear it everyday. It's a rich mauve. And the texture is luscious. It's so smooth and silky on. Looks great and feels great.

on 10/26/2010 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

It's a lovely color but didn't look ok on me. Too dark for daytime, too purple/berry on the lips.
I'm rating it 4 because of the texture. It goes on sooo creamy!! I can see how it'd look pretty on most people

on 10/15/2010 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

MAC describes this as a cloudy pink. This is a sheer berry pink mid tone lipstick with purplish undertones that gives a rather natural blush pink hue to lips. No brown overtones and absolutely no shimmer. Applying several layers would give a more purplish look. Quite close in colour to MAC's limited edition lipsticks -- Laugh A Lot and Viva Glam VI Special Edition. A bit more purplish and more sheer than MAC's Sweetie. Very pretty indeed for spring and summer. I love this colour and would buy it again.

on 10/14/2010 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I was excited about this colour after reading reviews... I was expecting more of a dark neutral with some mauve. It turned out that on my lips it just looked like a pinky red. Not at all what I was expecting.

on 10/12/2010 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Sadly, this just didn't flatter me. It looked like such a lovely colour in the store but it just had too much mauve in it to suit me. It is a soft mauvey pink which is too cool for my warm toned skin. Makes me look a little ill, which is a shame, because this lipstick feels nice. But, it sits in the bottom of my lipstick drawer and I take it out every now and then, try it on and wipe it off.

Popular Lipsticks